Page 3 of 501 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.2 Here' Thread -

Default Re: -- Unofficial 'Ask Questions About TATW Here' Thread --

Oh Dear....To make it clear....

I would like to be able (as it was possible back in Rome) to get gold for experience (which is possible!), gold for weapons (which is not possible as only for certain units and than only to bronze!) and gold for armour.
    Gold means 3 upgrades from normal to bronze, from bronze to silver and from silver to gold.....

Is this clear now?????

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I understood that

But muffer said it's possible to get gold in all of them

Anothre question.

I can't build any units higher than gondor spearman, gondor archers and militia cavalry.

The building browser tells me I can only build my baracks up to tier 3. in Minas Tirith.

Is this how it's supposed to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    Anothre question.

I can't build any units higher than gondor spearman, gondor archers and militia cavalry.

The building browser tells me I can only build my baracks up to tier 3. in Minas Tirith.

Is this how it's supposed to work?
    Higher teir units are unlocked at turn events in the campaign. You have to wait for those events before you can build the necessary barracks.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Higher teir units are unlocked at turn events in the campaign. You have to wait for those events before you can build the necessary barracks.

Right, cheers!

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Oh Dear....To make it clear....

I would like to be able (as it was possible back in Rome) to get gold for experience (which is possible!), gold for weapons (which is not possible as only for certain units and than only to bronze!) and gold for armour.
    Gold means 3 upgrades from normal to bronze, from bronze to silver and from silver to gold.....

Is this clear now?????
    You can get gold in everything but in vanilla only Swordsmithsguild gave extra attack and only 1 to any unit.

Anyone know of a free program to unzip the install file? I used my Winzip trial and my Jzip won't work on it.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

7-zip is open source (free). It's default compression type is 7z but it does ZIPs as well. Plus others.

WinRAR can open any kind of archive files

I have a question for all:

Are the AOR units really worth it?

The explanation: by the time you can recruit, say, Dragonslayers or Mithlond Warriors your fighting front will be in the middle or south of the map. The AOR units can only be recruited in remote areas. Now consider the following example:

As the Dwarfs, I have Khazad Dum and am able to recruit Iron Guards. Dragonslayers can only be constructed in Dain's Halls. The Iron Guards cost 850/350 and the Dragonslayers 790/320. At this phase in the game the OOTMM are either dead or have become insignificant, so let's say that I'm fighting Isengard or Mordor. In that case it is reasonable to say that I can get the Iron Guards from Moria to the frontlines in about 5 turns.

This means that the cost to get Iron Guards into their first battle is 850+(350x5) = 2600.
    The Dragonslayers would take at least 9 turns to reach the front, which means the cost of getting them to the same battle is 790+(320*9)= 3670

This means that getting the Dragonslayers to fight the same battle that Iron Guards could fight is 41% more expensive.
    Also, bear in mind that retraining the unit would mean walking them up to Dain's Halls again and repeating the process, thus adding even more to the cost.

This implies that using AOR units means it takes longer to get to the battle, it's more expensive to get to the battle, and retraining after the battle is extremely slow.

The same example can be applied to almost any AOR unit.

So do you guys use those units? Is their performance worth the extreme cost in both money and time? Am I missing something? And please keep in mind I'm not talking esthetics here, I'm trying to figure out if their performance is worth the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Staffen View Post
    I have a question for all:

Are the AOR units really worth it?

The explanation: by the time you can recruit, say, Dragonslayers or Mithlond Warriors your fighting front will be in the middle or south of the map. The AOR units can only be recruited in remote areas. Now consider the following example:

As the Dwarfs, I have Khazad Dum and am able to recruit Iron Guards. Dragonslayers can only be constructed in Dain's Halls. The Iron Guards cost 850/350 and the Dragonslayers 790/320. At this phase in the game the OOTMM are either dead or have become insignificant, so let's say that I'm fighting Isengard or Mordor. In that case it is reasonable to say that I can get the Iron Guards from Moria to the frontlines in about 5 turns.

This means that the cost to get Iron Guards into their first battle is 850+(350x5) = 2600.
    The Dragonslayers would take at least 9 turns to reach the front, which means the cost of getting them to the same battle is 790+(320*9)= 3670

This means that getting the Dragonslayers to fight the same battle that Iron Guards could fight is 41% more expensive.
    Also, bear in mind that retraining the unit would mean walking them up to Dain's Halls again and repeating the process, thus adding even more to the cost.

This implies that using AOR units means it takes longer to get to the battle, it's more expensive to get to the battle, and retraining after the battle is extremely slow.

The same example can be applied to almost any AOR unit.

So do you guys use those units? Is their performance worth the extreme cost in both money and time? Am I missing something? And please keep in mind I'm not talking esthetics here, I'm trying to figure out if their performance is worth the cost
    The only AOR units that are really worth it are Peralgir Marines and Mumakils... other than that, not really, unless you have your front close to home ( like not attacking harad as gondor for 70 turns... )

Is it possible to mod something so that though you can't train AOR units outside their designated provinces, you can retrain them there?

Nope. You can only retrain units you can train in a given province

Too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    7-zip is open source (free). It's default compression type is 7z but it does ZIPs as well. Plus others.
    thanks. +rep

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

So do you guys use those units?
    i'm fine with this AOR type of creating those specific untis. sure
    it sucks for somebody (especially when playing the dwarves) that
    you have to travel many turns to get somewhere. but see it lore
    wise. the big armies of the different races did travel a lot to get
    somewhere (wars of the last alliance (dagorlad, barad dûr) or the
    battle at pelenor fields).

espiecially because those specific AOR offer some of th best units
    of the whole game - riders of he fold, mumakil, pelagir ...........

all that makes it way more interesting to play.

Is it possible to mod something so that though you can't train AOR
    units outside their designated provinces, you can retrain them there?
    sure it's possible. just look in the mod sub-forum. i'm sure there are
    a lot aof guys that can help you.

A more techical question: How do I open the command pad to execute cheats? It should come from the ~ button but I have a Finnish keyboard and ~ is under AltGr+^ which doesn't open it. I have tried pretty much every possible combination but can't pop it up. Anyone?

Cheers

Is this what your keyboard looks like?

If so, try the button next to 1 (the fancy dollar sign...)

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
    A more techical question: How do I open the command pad to execute cheats? It should come from the ~ button but I have a Finnish keyboard and ~ is under AltGr+^ which doesn't open it. I have tried pretty much every possible combination but can't pop it up. Anyone?

Cheers
    In Finland button is 'ö'. At least its working whit me. It is strange that in vanilla nothing didnt work but when I installed kingdoms there it worked. And then I tried in vanilla again, IT WORKED!
    HALLELUJAH!

I shall try those.