Page 51 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253545556575859606176101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4493

Thread: The "I just saw" thread

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

It's been a long time since I've watched a funny slasher.
    Last edited by Henry of Grosmont; November 16, 2012 at 08:09 AM.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

The Rules of Attraction

Pretty fun movie, suicides and all. This is the way our society really works , everybody's hungry for sex, love and attention. Everybody hurts anybody.
    Nobody knows anyone.

Less than Zero

Outdated haircuts and junkies. Another Bret Easton Ellis novel put on the big screen. Not much except R.Downey Jr.'s performance.
    Exceptional as usual.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; November 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Seeking a friend for the end of the world. Depressing...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry of Grosmont View Post
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil

It's been a long time since I've watched a funny slasher.
    That movie was quite refreshing .

Kung-Fu Panda 2

It's one of those rare instances where a sequel surpasses the original, and for animated films, it's equally as difficult. The quality of DreamWorks animation is reaching a point where it might begin giving Pixar a few sleepless nights.

Looper

I still think that ing kid is trouble and should've got what was coming to him. No offense but he's the Antichrist.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Saw 'Argo' last night. Really, really enjoyed it. If you've not see it yet, I highly recommend it, if you enjoy well-paced, tightly scripted thrillers.
    Last edited by Dr Zoidberg; November 18, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

The Dark Knight Rises

Pretty heroic towards the end. Liked it better than the Heath Ledger one. I mean, the Joker, alright?
    Although Bane's voice was ridiculous. Sounded like a wounded British pompous clown.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    Saw 'Argo' last night. Really, really enjoyed it. If you've not see it yet, I highly recommend it, if you enjoy well-paced, tightly scripted thrillers.
    I was expecting a much heavier film given the 'PR' campaign around Argo. I thought it fell very short of the type of film it's being portrayed as. Not that Argo is bad, it just isn't as gripping as it could have been.

Munich (2005) is a far superior film in this genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    The Dark Knight Rises

Pretty heroic towards the end. Liked it better than the Heath Ledger one. I mean, the Joker, alright?
    Although Bane's voice was ridiculous. Sounded like a wounded British pompous clown.
    I thought it was a great movie but I still prefer the second one. And Bane's voice really was ridiculous. He sounded like a british grandpa on a megaphone to me, hehehehehehehehe. And Nolan just delivers another thrilling movie once again!

Looper

I still think that ing kid is trouble and should've got what was coming to him. No offense but he's the Antichrist.
    That was, for me at least, one of the most original sci-fi films I've seen in a while.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

It isn't new, isn't a film and I've seen it before but having just watched an episode I want to understand why people like Modern Family. I was cringing at how bad it was when I decided to look it up on the old Wikipedia and found out that it's been very successful in the US. I just... I just don't understand why.

I just saw this:

Sleeping Beauty

Pretentious piece of crap.

Bane's voice - wounded British grandpa clown.

Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKYA View Post
    That was, for me at least, one of the most original sci-fi films I've seen in a while.

Well, on the imdb forum they're trashing it because of the time-split-paradoxes in the script.
    I didn't see anything wrong with the plot really.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Guy goes back into the past, shoots some kids, his past self is a moral man, sees that his actions created the Rainmaker, shoots himself, the END- seems pretty legit to me.

Oh, and I only realized yesterday why was that guy's fingers disappearing.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It was because they were torturing his past-self.
    Awesome detail.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; November 19, 2012 at 05:46 AM.

Rurouni Kenshin - Only ever saw the first episode of the anime, which allowed me to experience the tone of the series, but not it's depth.

That you can get by watching the new live action movie that just blows you away, without the usual awkwardness that you experience by some Japanese directors who are presenting an art work to their main constituency, and not really for western sensibilities. It's a beautifully crafted movie that balances the feel of a Japan coming to grips with modernity and the required fighting sequences. On the surface it's about a wandering samurai who wants to help the weak against the tyranny of the strong. Beneath that, it's about atonement and redemption, whether of Kenshin, Megumi or any other character who wants to take advantage of the opportunity.

On a deeper level, it's also about the basic suspicion of the ills that capitalism/modernization has inflicted on the traditional structure of Japanese society, but the film doesn't take a romanticized view of the past with it's struggles for power by the clans, just a wish that what follows improves the lives of society in general.

Direction, acting, script and cinematography are wonderful, though a tiny bit cramped if you compare it to more panoramic visions like Last Samurai.

Highly recommended.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Hall Pass - Very funny movie from the Farrelly Brothers, though the sequences seemed a little isolated from each other, though that may have been deliberate since the humour was restrained,

Wives decide to let husbands off the leash, so that they don't go stir crazy from the confines of marriage and fairly confident that they don't have the balls to do anything, having extracted them years ago.

What I found surprising was that at the end of the movie when I checked out the cast list, I discovered I hadn't recognized Owen Wilson, Christina Applegate nor Alyssa Milano; that could be grounds for alarm, or signs that age is catching up to someone.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Prometheus.
    After hearing some negative buzz I was kinda expecting it to be not that enjoyable like avatar. Personally, I thought it was the best sci-fi movie in years. Great balance of story, horror and action. Really looking forward to seeing the sequel.

Centurion

This movie convinced me I am a misogynist because every time a woman got slapped on screen, I cheered.
    Pretty good fight sequences too.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; November 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Its kind of a funny story Awesome movie!

Wreck-It Ralph. Hilarious references that gamers will pick up on instantly, but a great movie in its own right regardless of the nostalgia/references. Also, the animated short Paperman that was shown before the movie was superb. Amazing animation style. Seeing both of these are well worth the cost of a movie ticket.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Centurion

This movie convinced me I am a misogynist because every time a woman got slapped on screen, I cheered.
    Pretty good fight sequences too.
    Good film, shame they felt the need to dress the picts up as cast off's from Mad Max.