Thread: The "I just saw" thread

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

I've been watching a lot of stuff on Prime recently, I'll start with what I appreciated the most

Star Trek - Picard
    Now, if you are even remotely a fan of Star Trek, you need to see this. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing out of this word, but it's a mature show for people who has grown up with Star Trek (TNG, VOY, DS9 and maybe even ENT, but that's already another story). Protagonists are disillusioned, things are far from being perfect, much far.. still hope never went away. Season one had a solid plot, nothing exceptional, but enjoyable. The finale, just wow, broke my hearth.

Season 2 is gonna have Q and alternate reality, should be more action oriented that the first one.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Green Knight (2021)

I regret I signed up for this. Watch Batman Begins instead.

Blog Entries

Invincible

I'm a bit old for toons I know, but I was intrigued by this and decided to give it a go. It quickly turns into a gore fest.. now there's much gross stuff out there (especially anime), but this one has a different taste, somewhat. Only watched season 1 so far, I'm expecting a lot of action from season 2, and I really hope the makers would keep up with the expectations. 8 episodes worth watch
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Baron noir: the tricks and backstabbing of politics, well made show. More mundane than house of card make it more realistic.

Blog Entries

Doom Patrol

I'm of two minds here; from one side I like how developed and deep is the background and the psychology of basically all the characters, from the other if what you are looking for is the typical hero story, go for something else... the heroes here are so human that sometimes they become annoyingly weak. Overall good acting and I'm glad to see Brendan Fraser back in action (I do also love Alan Tudyk, perfect face for a villain)

Watched season 1 & 2, some moments are epic

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Invincible

I'm a bit old for toons I know, but I was intrigued by this and decided to give it a go. It quickly turns into a gore fest.. now there's much gross stuff out there (especially anime), but this one has a different taste, somewhat. Only watched season 1 so far, I'm expecting a lot of action from season 2, and I really hope the makers would keep up with the expectations. 8 episodes worth watch
    This is probably my favorite show of the past couple years. I watched it all in one sitting, I was just immediately hooked. I even went so far as to actually read all 144 issues of the comic. I also read all of those in just two days, I had a real problem . The show adds a bit of stuff that the comics didn't add but all of it is very much for the better. A lot of the show is pretty much story boarded by the comic already, it's really interesting how much of the framing and scenes they didn't change at all.

The gore is one of my favorite parts of the show. I love how damned brutal it is.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Nothing like a samurai epic to start the day.
    Carmina Burana FOR TEH WIN!

Crest of Betrayal
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; September 23, 2021 at 12:31 AM.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Les routes de l'esclavage: a 4 parts documentary, very informative, made from an economical and political point of view. I don't know how good English captions are...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdoJx2o7jjc&t=47s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    This is probably my favorite show of the past couple years. I watched it all in one sitting, I was just immediately hooked. I even went so far as to actually read all 144 issues of the comic. I also read all of those in just two days, I had a real problem . The show adds a bit of stuff that the comics didn't add but all of it is very much for the better. A lot of the show is pretty much story boarded by the comic already, it's really interesting how much of the framing and scenes they didn't change at all.

The gore is one of my favorite parts of the show. I love how damned brutal it is.
    yes it's definitely brutal, I really look forward for season 2, I'm expecting various bloodbaths

Good Omens

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well, what to say? it's a nice fable, with a good dose of the typical British humor. Honestly I love both Michael Sheen and David Tennant, IMO both are very underrated as actors. However, just watched season 1, there will possibly be a season 2, but I do believe that the work is finished as it is now.

Also, I totally fell in love with Adria Arjona

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Good Omens is cool. Absolutely my taste of humor.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Good Omens was a good laugh over all, I agree

The Expanse

There's a thread dedicated to it here, but I'll drop few more lines about it. First, that's a very credible science fiction serial, based on actual scientific facts; that reflects on both the plot and the visuals (ie. the way the fire burns at microgravity) .. that being said, the strict application of said laws for everything that concerns the humans, made it easier for the authors to go wild when it comes to aliens... a bit of an excessive step in between the two stances, IMO.
    However, very original plot, good acting (sometimes very good, few actors really stand out), decent CGI without it being too blatant.
    A must see for everyone who's a fan of science fiction in general.

ps. I've not watched season 5 yet, this because I'm waiting for season 6 to be released so I can watch both one after the other.
    Last edited by Flinn; September 24, 2021 at 05:04 AM.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Good Omens is one of my favorite shows of all time. I love the theme music.

That being said, I strongly doubt there will be a sequel. I believe Gaiman expressed his disinterest in pursuing the story more after Pratchett died, but I could be mistaken.

made it easier for the authors to go wild when it comes to aliens
    What, specifically, do you find unrealistic about the portrayal of the alien species? If anything, I found it incredibly well done from a scientific perspective. I don't think they made any unrealistic or unscientific leaps. it's incredibly difficult to come up with a credible species with different biology than ours and I think this is one of the only shows/movies that has done a genuinely convincing job of it. I think the only other ones that comes quite as close to the Expanse are Arrival and Contact.

For what it's worth, the books go much deeper into the science of not only the aliens, but of the world itself.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dune (2021)

Spectacular entertainment, massive worldbuilding. Left me longing for more.

Bandits vs Samurai Squadron

Kinda confusing Ninja vs Samurai tale.

Note to Self: A ninja in plain clothes looks like a samurai. A samurai looks like a samurai. How do you tell these two apart? SUBTITLES! that's how.
    I also liked the insight about friendship among foes.

Wish I had foes like that.
    Or friends.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Years and Years

All six movie parts as package. One of the best of the best TV series.

Official trailer
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

If you liked The Haunting of Hill House, you’ll like this. Killer OST
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    What, specifically, do you find unrealistic about the portrayal of the alien species? If anything, I found it incredibly well done from a scientific perspective. I don't think they made any unrealistic or unscientific leaps. it's incredibly difficult to come up with a credible species with different biology than ours and I think this is one of the only shows/movies that has done a genuinely convincing job of it. I think the only other ones that comes quite as close to the Expanse are Arrival and Contact.
    Multiple things to be honest, ie. the way the aliens control how fast you can move in the space.. I'm not telling that that's unreasonable for a billions years old race, I'm just telling that there are no explanations at all in the show.

For what it's worth, the books go much deeper into the science of not only the aliens, but of the world itself.
    probably this is the reason then

The Terror

I'm a bit uncertain about this.. ok so, I love the accuracy of the historical depiction, and some of the actors I love as well (Jared Harris in particular, he's also in The Expanse), but I find the plot to be a bit "forced" if you get what I mean. That's based on true events, which IMO were dramatic enough.. the uncertain horror component breaks it for me more than making more appealing. I have only watched season 1, season 2 is based on a completely different subject, and as far as I know is much more horror oriented than the first one.

Don't Breathe 2

This will make you cry for a monster.
    Great sequel.
    Better than the first one, IMO.
    Stephen Lang is the GOAT.

Intrusion

Thought this was another one of those home invasion flicks.
    Nice twist at the end.
    Never liked that guy, btw.

Also, main actress can't act.
    Story is kinda lame.
    Enjoy

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The Many Saints of Newark.

Wonderful trip through nostalgia. The early life of Tony Soprano, well not really. The movie focuses on Richard 'Dickie' Moltisanti (Many Saints). I won't spoil it, fans of the Sopranos will love it for what it is, the younger versions of characters, Sil, Paulie, Big Pussy, Uncle Jr etc, all have minor parts that add an odd familiarity where they'd be bit players in a film without the history.

Really needs a series, even if limited, but David Chase has said he's not interested. He has hinted more movies could be a possibility.