Thread: The "I just saw" thread

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

Ghostbusters old and new
    And one special ghost
    Who'll always be true.

This is how you make a movie.
    Full with nostalgia, especially towards the end.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

So they didn’t Ghostbusters 2016 it? Good to know
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

I liked it. It is intense, even a bit hard to follow at times.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

99 francs interesting, made in Terry Gilliam style

Gemini Man (2019)

So-so. I think the clone looked real most of the times. But the seemingly supersonic action put me off.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I don’t understand why almost no modern films can get action right. I imagine it must just be they’ve become too over reliant on CGI and shaky cam became easier than meticulous training and choreography that the entire industry has mostly dropped the ball
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    I don’t understand why almost no modern films can get action right. I imagine it must just be they’ve become too over reliant on CGI and shaky cam became easier than meticulous training and choreography that the entire industry has mostly dropped the ball
    I was literally thinking that yesterday when I compared Matrix 4 with Matrix 1.

Matrix 4:
    -action sucks
    -why is this trying to be anything other than The Matrix?
    -first half was actually kind of good
    -they didn't explain anything even though they act like they did, The Matrix still makes no sense, The Animatrix did it better, and The Matrix Online actually explained it
    -why does Neo look like John Wick? admittedly he doesn't for the entire movie, but that is still kind of weird
    -the fourth wall jokes were kind of funny and then become obnoxious... we get it you hate studios and you have contempt for your mentally retarded audience
    -they brought back Agent Smith but he isn't played by Hugo Weaving and the guy they got to play him actually sucks
    -living in harmony with machines??? I already live in harmony with machines, seeing as I only destroy my computer every 10 years now
    -trapped in someone else's body, wow so clever
    -the 90's kind of sucked but now the pessimists have to admit that 2020 isn't so bad
    -yo dawg I heard you liked meta (The Matrix) so I put the meta (Matrix 2) in your meta (The Matrix) to break the meta (Matrix 3) which created more meta (Matrix 4), this is actually so meta it kind of breaks movies in and of themselves, after all what is a movie other than a way for studios to make money, generate social influence, as a way to then make more money off the same product?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 15, 2022 at 11:06 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Peacemaker: Eps 1-3.

It's good. Doesn't have the gravitas of 'The Boys' and it's a bit more 'adult' than Deadpool but, it's in the same ball-park for funnies and violence.

Eternals.

It's not crap.

Wasn't expecting much. This had enough humour and action to negate some fairly wooden acting, and the plot was okay. The 'bad' guys are mostly CGI and look a bit meh. Nothing new in the effects and action, but it's decent rainy afternoon watching.

Now this is a woman I can truly admire.
    And she was real and glorious.

All hail the Queen!

Elizabeth: the Golden Age

Cate Blanchett was enchanting and authoritarian in this one.

Patrician

Seen both Elizabeth movies recently. Inaccurate as and ridiculously so. They also go out of their way to make Elizabeth and others more likeable but the inaccuracies pointed me to the fact that she was actually a nasty woman. For example she actually put Walter Raleigh and Bess in the Tower. While they were eventually pardoned, the fool rascal Raleigh got his head lopped off by King James.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Seen both Elizabeth movies recently. Inaccurate as and ridiculously so. They also go out of their way to make Elizabeth and others more likeable but the inaccuracies pointed me to the fact that she was actually a nasty woman. For example she actually put Walter Raleigh and Bess in the Tower. While they were eventually pardoned, the fool rascal Raleigh got his head lopped off by King James.
    Okay, then.
    I liked the idea of Elizabeth.
    But honestly, seeing how her father killed her mother, you'd be pretty salty too if you were in her shoes.

Moving on.

Well, this is Russia.
    Grimy, cold and full of tough people with a cruel sense of humor.
    I don't know who recommended this but it was worth it.

Brat 1997
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; January 16, 2022 at 09:47 AM.

Nothing like a bit of colonialism to start the day.

Soldat Blanc (White Soldier)

Quite a top-notch production, considering it's only a TV movie.
    Better than non-TV war movies I've seen, that's for sure.

It raises a lot of interesting questions.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I was literally thinking that yesterday when I compared Matrix 4 with Matrix 1.

Matrix 4:
    -action sucks
    -why is this trying to be anything other than The Matrix?
    -first half was actually kind of good
    -they didn't explain anything even though they act like they did, The Matrix still makes no sense, The Animatrix did it better, and The Matrix Online actually explained it
    -why does Neo look like John Wick? admittedly he doesn't for the entire movie, but that is still kind of weird
    -the fourth wall jokes were kind of funny and then become obnoxious... we get it you hate studios and you have contempt for your mentally retarded audience
    -they brought back Agent Smith but he isn't played by Hugo Weaving and the guy they got to play him actually sucks
    -living in harmony with machines??? I already live in harmony with machines, seeing as I only destroy my computer every 10 years now
    -trapped in someone else's body, wow so clever
    -the 90's kind of sucked but now the pessimists have to admit that 2020 isn't so bad
    -yo dawg I heard you liked meta (The Matrix) so I put the meta (Matrix 2) in your meta (The Matrix) to break the meta (Matrix 3) which created more meta (Matrix 4), this is actually so meta it kind of breaks movies in and of themselves, after all what is a movie other than a way for studios to make money, generate social influence, as a way to then make more money off the same product?
    I haven't watched Resurrection and I don't think I will anytime soon... to me Matrix was good at it was, and while I do understand why some people want to know everything about it, I was myself content with not knowing things exactly.. IMO, that was part of the charm of the trilogy and contributed to make it so great
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

The King's Man (2021)

It was more emotional than one'd expect which I wouldn't say was bad.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Yellowjackets.

EP1 - 2.

Stars Juliette Lewis, Christina Ricci.

'Lord of the Flies' with a girls' soccer (ffs) team. The first episode gives glimpses of the girls post air crash with hints to the horrors ahead, but focuses more on building the present day cast. And that's where this differs from LotF, the 25 years later story arc where the girls' seems to have made a 'what happened in the woods, stays in the woods' pact.

The season has ended (10 episodes), so, bingeable.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; January 18, 2022 at 03:24 AM.

Always nice to see a war movie where the Americans aren't the main focus.
    No offense, but US wasn't the only one in Afghanistan.
    So I give you:

Zona Hostil / Rescue Under Fire (2017)

Funny how this slipped under the radar.
    Because it's made by Spain.
    Long live the Legion!

Also, featuring bad ass women.

Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; January 18, 2022 at 10:43 AM.

The Current War (2017)

Enlightening!

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I haven't watched Resurrection and I don't think I will anytime soon... to me Matrix was good at it was, and while I do understand why some people want to know everything about it, I was myself content with not knowing things exactly.. IMO, that was part of the charm of the trilogy and contributed to make it so great
    For me the Matrix Trilogy was pretty bad. Only the first movie can be considered good. But in this new movie they do not hide their contempt at the idiotic dude bros who liked the first movie but did not like any of the other movies, and which they assume will dislike Matrix 4. That being said I think there was a lot more to these movies than a lot of the criticisms which they receive care to admit. It is just that these things were not explained and were horribly executed.

The whole movie is basically trying to pre-emptively counter any criticisms that might arise. They are constantly trying to deflect blame onto the studio instead of themselves. While openly stating in the film that "people only want the same thing" because they are idiots. Then deciding that they will "build the Matrix" in whatever way they want regardless. So essentially if the film fails it is not on them. It is on the studio for wanting to milk the franchise and on the viewers for being idiots that only want a one dimensional zero to hero storyline and lots of action scenes.

There is even a scene where the Merovingian from Matrix 2 looks like a hobo and is shouting things like "hacks, you rebooted it, this is terrible" etc etc. Ironically I wanted to like this movie but they immediately became defensive about this and were so full of contempt because no one liked their other movies. They assume that no one will like this movie and I find that hilarious. But no one likes their other movies because they are convoluted and poorly made.

Though I definitely did not watch Matrix 4 because of the action. Which either way the action in Matrix 4 was pretty damn bad. It basically consists of Keanu Reeves running and waving his hands like a Jedi or like an Airbender or something. Even though Keanu had lots of physical action scenes in John Wick, I don't get why the action in this is so terrible.

The other thing I found hilarious is how they had to reboot reality. So in the original Matrix there is a lot about how the world sucks and especially things like office culture, having to work dead end jobs, the lack of progressivism and a hostile society, and generally how much they hated the 90's as a whole. But now in 2020 a lot of these things are being tackled. Yet they are still angry and have to make critiques about video games, how the world seems too nice and fake, apparently how everyone is stupid, and how maladjusted people are that they are taking pills for mental illnesses.

BUT the reason this is so ironic is that this is literally the world which they created. They can't even be satisfied with how for the past decade they have been getting their cake and eating it. Now they need to complain about how they got exactly what they wanted. A lot of the things in this movie I have to assume are meta commentary about the Wachowski's own mental illness.

For example characters talk about how they are trapped in the wrong body. How they are relieved that they can literally and figuratively come out of the closet. How Neo can stop taking his blue pills and literally go through a looking glass into his insane make believe world and have it become real. How Trinity can leave her Chad husband and abandon her kids to run away with the virgin Neo and become a super hero. How the Wachowskis cried themselves to sleep and invented Morpheus to give them a red pill and put them into a new reality.

There is also a lot about how they hate studios. For example Trinity complains that they turned their story into a video game (in the movie Neo is a game designer) and basically how they trivialized their story. I have to assume that Wachowski is referring to studio meddling which resulted in their vision and deep concept being made into an action movie, which resulted in the botched Matrix 2 and 3. While at the same time probably a complaint against The Matrix Online mmo. But this is dumb due to the fact that The Matrix worked as a movie specifically because they had such technical camera work and fight scenes. In addition to how they essentially copied much of it from Chinese cartoons (Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, hell even Aeon Flux). And the story itself just seems to be a combination of concepts from the films "Total Recall" and "Terminator".

Basically if The Matrix is a deconstruction of the hero's journey, and Matrix 2 and 3 are deconstructions of The Matrix. Then Matrix 4 is a deconstruction of Matrix 2 and 3, as well as The Matrix's legacy on society. They even have board room scenes in which the idiotic execs don't understand The Matrix and say that it is about cool action (bullet time), or a fanatical Leftist saying that it is about fighting Capitalism, and all of those clichés that we are used to. Even though fighting Capitalism literally is a huge theme in The Matrix and they make this clear in the first 20 minutes of The Matrix, constantly hammer it in The Animatrix, and in other films like Cloud Atlas where it is also one of their pet themes.

Like why are the Leftists and fighting Capitalism crazy all of a sudden? You mean the Leftists which they helped to create??? So Leftists aren't cool anymore (a theme I am seeing now in media since about 2020)? What is sane then? Thinking you are in the Matrix? Remember a huge theme in ALL Matrix movies was coming to grips with the Matrix and accepting the Matrix, in order to take over the Matrix. It actually WAS NOT about rejecting the Matrix. That is really only partially true in the first film. Even then it is easy to argue that Neo did the opposite by controlling the Matrix at the end of the first movie. The conclusion in ALL Matrix material is accepting the Matrix (Matrix 3, Animatrix, Matrix Online, even Matrix 4).

So what gives? But according to the Matrix 4, the whole thing was actually about taking control of their own life (not taking pills?), changing their reality, and that fundamentally it was a love story. A love story? I don't think that was really the central theme in any of the other films. Maybe that is what they wanted before the nasty execs made them change it. But I mean I never got that impression in any of the other films.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 18, 2022 at 10:46 PM.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Just watched the third season of After Life.

Man, Ricky Gervais might just be one of the best comedy writers of all time.

Laughs and sads in equal part.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Just watched the third season of After Life.

Man, Ricky Gervais might just be one of the best comedy writers of all time.

Laughs and sads in equal part.
    his stand up comedy are hilarious, as were his hosting of the golden globes.