Thread: The "I just saw" thread

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

The great hack

There is nothing new in this documentary, it is basically the losing side being bitter at being outsmarted by people they saw as idiots.
    BTW I'm anti Brexit and anti Trump, but this documentary is misleading and partial with half baked truth.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Living in Oblivion

It's a movie about filmmaking and what it takes to see it through.
    From the actors, to the director, to the dolly guy, the sound guy, all the way to catering, these are all spot-on characters.
    Everyone was great and really convincing in this movie.

I love Catherine Keener's armpits.
    And there's a surprise cameo too!
    I won't spoil it for you guys...

The boys.
    I binge watched the New Amazon streaming show.
    Based on comic series of Garth Ennis.
    It kinda flew under the radar, but it is a very good show, with great acting and a very interesting concept. A more hardcore version of The watchman.

The Boys is set in a universe where superpowered individuals are recognized as heroes by the general public and owned by powerful corporation Vought International, who ensures that they are properly marketed and monetized. Outside of their heroic personas, most are arrogant and corrupt. The series primarily focuses on two groups: the titular Boys, vigilantes looking to keep the corrupted heroes under control, and the Seven, Vought International's premier superhero team. (very similar to justice league)

The Boys are led by Billy Butcher, who despises all superpowered individuals, and the Seven are led by the egotistical and unstable Homelander. As a conflict inevitably ensues between the two groups, the series also follows the new members of each team: Hugh "Hughie" Campbell of the Boys, who joins the vigilantes after his girlfriend is killed by the Seven's A-Train, and Annie January / Starlight of the Seven, a young and hopeful heroine unaware of the corruption.

Expect graphical violence and nudity and adult themes, as well social commentary.
    I got to say i did loved the show, even though i find the plot predictable, and quite linear. Also there are some woke moments in there that i found it to be a bit heavy handed the way they dealt with them. They do showcase the corruption of big corporation, and the usual talking points of a left wing perspective, so expect themes like the usual right wing conservative hypocrisy, like the Evangelical american culture to be portrayed in a satirical way. The only left wing hypocrisy they do tackle is the PETA themed Super hero , and that is it. I wished they expanded the social commentary to be more broad, instead of the usual predictable tropes of today. ( you know Me too, Gender/race swap feminism/misogyny etc).

Still despite that, the show is pretty good. The pros of the show, is the characters, the acting, and how they portray the corrupt super heroes. The deconstruction of the super hero genre with some very dark humor in the mix.

As acting goes the leader of the Seven leader Homelander ( a pastiche between Superman, and Captain America). The actor who plays it is brilliant imo. It is the highlight for me Homelander is so terrifying, creepy and unsettling at the same time.

Him and Starlight are great in the show. Her because she is relatable and the actress just sells it very well.

Also Karl Urban is in the show as well. There no going wrong with Karl Urban.

I totally recommend this show, it is no doubt the best Super Hero TV show to date. The special effects are also very good for a tv show ( i would dare say they have better CGI then some marvel movies ( not that the show is heavy of action scenes, but they do have them.
    Here is the Trailers, which incidentally they are pretty great trailers.

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 03, 2019 at 03:31 PM.

Realive

Well, this sent my depression to the stratosphere.
    Being revived many years from now, into the future... would you or would you not?
    What about your loved ones?

Charlotte Le Bon
    was tres bonne.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The Great Hack

1/10

Documentary starts interestingly enough until they start whitewashing Brittany Kaiser - i.e no 2 at Cambridge Analytica.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

OtherLife

It's like an episode of Black Mirror.
    Only longer and more depressing.
    In the end, I don't know who wins.
    Certainly not we, the viewers.

Does have some nice ideas about cyber-ethics.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; August 04, 2019 at 12:02 PM.

Bandersnatch

this ... this was quite a ride.
    Didn't know what to expect.

But like the game critic guy in the movie, I feel like I must point out the incredible potential lost.
    Sure, it tries to be revolutionary, but it misses the mark.
    Multiple endings? Check.
    Breaking the Fourth Wall? Check.
    Loads of predestination & time theories? check.

I, for one, appreciate the ending with 'Hold me in your automatic arms, Mom'.
    It wraps things up nicely.

But it doesn't end there.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    The boys.

Expect graphical violence and nudity and adult themes, as well social commentary.
    I got to say i did loved the show, even though i find the plot predictable, and quite linear. Also there are some woke moments in there that i found it to be a bit heavy handed the way they dealt with them. They do showcase the corruption of big corporation, and the usual talking points of a left wing perspective, so expect themes like the usual right wing conservative hypocrisy, like the Evangelical american culture to be portrayed in a satirical way. The only left wing hypocrisy they do tackle is the PETA themed Super hero , and that is it. I wished they expanded the social commentary to be more broad, instead of the usual predictable tropes of today. ( you know Me too, Gender/race swap feminism/misogyny etc).
    I kind of agree with you, for me the show failed to choose whether it would be a comedy, action thriller or superhero. The premise is good, the superheroes are douchebags in a corrupt capitalist society. It's an ok show that could/should have been better .

Praeses

I re-watched Day of the Jackal, what a bloody masterpiece. A deadpan procedural in the vein of Rafifi, and AFAIK the first English language film of this sort, it walks us through what an assassin would have to do to kill a world leader in the 1960's, and what a country would have to do to stop him.

Zero exposition, zero surplus emotion, bare bones and brilliance. They even pull the rug a bit at the end, deliberately refusing to tie it up in a neat bow. An anti-Hollywood thriller. This may be Miramax style viral nonsense but allegedly the French Security forces interviewed Forsyth (not with electrodes though) after it was published as they were unhappy at the details he revealed (he had reported on and even witnessed real-life assassination attempts on De Gaulle).

I also saw a repeat of Community season 2 ep.21 "Paradigms of Human Memory", when that show flew it flew high. I had forgotten this one and was confused by the fake flashbacks, but was laughing uncontrollably and almost woke up Cyclops Jnr.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Black Summer

Walking Dead? Psshhh, please. That's a rom-com.
    This is like 28 Days Later on steroids.

Also, really intense to watch.
    Ya don't get bored, that's fo' sure!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I recently finished the Mindhunter series on Netflix. Damn this one is good. Both acting & dialogue are well thought through, at times subtle but always pristine.
    It takes a good actor to be able to portray a man feeling discomfort. It takes a great one to portray a man feeling discomfort whilst having a stoic facade.
    A must watch recommendation for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Praeses

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Lazy pastiche from a very talented, very incomplete film maker.

Exactly what you'd expect from Tarrantino, some gratuitous violence (inexplicable really, it serves no purpose, its not thrilling or climactic), some incredibly boring padding (smoking and looking out of cars is not character development), some fascinating conversations, some over-simplified big dick characters and some cheesecloth period backgrounds. Literally and figuratively.

There is some fine cinematography, some circling camera work in the fluffed line scene that is extremely compelling, and some decent tension building at the ranch (the hamfisted soundscaping does not spoil the effective dollying, panning and close ups).

The actors range from massively charismatic guns like Pitt and Di Caprio that you can watch for hours, bit parts from crusty former he-men and some vapid lookalikes with as much presence as a potted fern. The "Steve McQueen" cameo is rubbish.

The plot? What plot? Its a Tarrantino movie, be grateful its at least sequential and has dates on the screen as well as the worst voice over since the cinematic cut of Blade Runner. Yes 70's film-making was clunky and jaded but this is a rubbish tribute: Dirty Harry was on TV in the last month and this film fails to capture that look, although it tries to. The 1950/1960's TV flashbacks fail too.

That said, there is a story and its .

Why?Why?Why?
    ...seriously why TF is he re-writing history? First a fake "Mandingo" rewrite, then Hitler is killed by a movie buff, then he saves Sharon Tate

This is lazy lazy self indulgent twaddle. Take away all his money and force him to make one-act plays like Reservoir Dogs essentially was. Tarrantino is more flawed than Eddie Murphy (in very different ways) and just as brilliant in his talents.

Maybe Tarrantino could direct Murphy (who needs a strong director and then he burns the screen: Bowfinger, 48 Hours, Dreamgirls, not Another 48 hours or The Klumps) with a strong producer to shut their stupid ideas down and keep them on their turf. I would watch that film whatever it was.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Imo Tarrantino was always uninspired and is a known plagiarist. He made 1,5 decent films in the start of his career (RD and PF) and then produced garbage for the rest of time.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Imo Tarrantino was always uninspired and is a known plagiarist. He made 1,5 decent films in the start of his career (RD and PF) and then produced garbage for the rest of time.
    Agree with you, Tarantino gained cult status with PF and RD and each new work has been put on a pieddestal ever since. JB is his last decent work, after that he seems desperate to recreate dialogue like in PF and ends up with OTT garbage (KB1&2 and H8)

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Agree with you, Tarantino gained cult status with PF and RD and each new work has been put on a pieddestal ever since. JB is his last decent work, after that he seems desperate to recreate dialogue like in PF and ends up with OTT garbage (KB1&2 and H8)
    Haven't seen KB. I haven't paid to see one of his films since PF (i was given tickets to DjU).

I slice it differently. I think Dusk til Dawn was a bad film with good moments. I think RD was a good tense film that actually developed. I think PF was a bad film with such good moments you forgot it was a bad film. These days Tarrantino has less and less good moments.

The opening dialogue in IB (between the Nazi and the French farmer) was spellbinding, I had already made up my mind I didn't like the film and it had me gripped. He still has "it", or some of "it" but not as much as before.

Better film-maker than many and so on, just very incomplete.

You know what they call a Tarrantino movie in France?
    Cheese.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    because of the metric system
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quentin Tarantino is a hack fraud.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    At least he keeps his cool.

Mindhunter

Not really as good as the first, the action was somewhat less intense, downright missing in some parts.
    At least they got the Greats right.
    And Holden is still the same whispering narcissist & Tench has the same Space Marine hairdo & Dr Wendy Carr is as sassy, classy & arrogant as ever.
    The old gang is here and we get a lot of talk and talk but no actual results.

Meanwhile, the Boring Tech Klutz is still running around, free in the neighborhood.
    Perhaps they'll get him in season 90.

Because hell, hell is for children

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    but at least his foot fetish is consistent