Page 5 of 225 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I just saw" thread

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

Just watched John Carpenter's The Live.

Haven't seen the movie in a long time. Great movie.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Just seen Fanboys, really good movie about 4 guys who try to breach the defenses of Skywalker Ranch, I recommend it.
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

1408, Loved every minute of it

Comes Limitis

Yeah that on was pretty cool, though the ending....
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

The Ninth Configuration. Expect a review shortly.

I just saw-
    The Butterfly Effect 3

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    Yeah that on was pretty cool, though the ending....
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    There are two different endings.. One with a funeral and one where he listens to his tape recorder

Why did you people quote my spoiler
    Last edited by Godfrey I of Leuven; November 08, 2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: J/K ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post
    There are two different endings.. One with a funeral and one where he listens to his tape recorder
    Aww, comon I did not need to know that.......

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post
    Spoilers man you gotta have them.

Just saw the mist if you want to see and don't want spoilers do not read the rest of this post

The military open's a portal to another demsion monsters come out attack a small town eat a good number of people the main characters This guy a lady and her son and to elderly people try to escape the town towards the end of the movie but there car runs out of gas and they can hear the monsters in the distance the guy has a gun with 4 bullets and they decide to commit suicide but then 2 seconds later The army rolls in through the Fog with tanks flamethrower and all the monopoly of modern day warfare if they had just waited a coiple of mintues they all could have been saved
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    Just saw the mist if you want to see and don't want spoilers do not read the rest of this post

The military open's a portal to another demsion monsters come out attack a small town eat a good number of people the main characters This guy a lady and her son and to elderly people try to escape the town towards the end of the movie but there car runs out of gas and they can hear the monsters in the distance the guy has a gun with 4 bullets and they decide to commit suicide but then 2 seconds later The army rolls in through the Fog with tanks flamethrower and all the monopoly of modern day warfare if they had just waited a coiple of mintues they all could have been saved
    No it was not her son, the lady and the old man were just other characters not main characters.

I just saw the movie "Closure"

littlestuif's Avatar Foederatus

I just saw the movie sav VI. Bad acting, bad storyline, bad, bad, bad, bad. It was all about torture, killing and blood. That's not what SAW was in the beginning.
    The first requisite of civilization is that of justice. - S. Freud

Comes Limitis

Pandorum, great watch, cool actors, but it had even more potential it kinda wastes at times.

A modern sci-fi classic though, cant think of many other sci-fi movies of this caliber.
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Pandorum wasted a lot of cool things. It was also the victim of bad editing. They cut out stuff [at least I am assuming this is what happened] that made the plot not as coherent as it could have been, and then left in a lot of useless scenes that made the movie drag at places. And it had a worthless actor who never said a single intelligible word the entire movie...

Quote Originally Posted by dogukan View Post
    just watched Watchmen.....and I have to say, I was not expecting ANYTHING like this. A superhero hollywood movie with a very good visual effect director.
    I was only expecting unnecessary action....but what I saw was PURE CINEMATIC ART. Amazing.
    I am about to watch it again, after seeing the Tales of the Black Freighter explanatory DVD (for lack of a better title), which does explain a lot about the film. Even if it is dark and very gory (the manga which is titled under the same name) it actually managed to get me to watch the movie again, much like the DVD itself says so right in the end.

On that aspect, great job.

My further thoughts on the movie are explained below.
    Be warned that it contains clues as to what happened in the movie, therefore I wouldn't recommend reading it if you haven't seen the film and want to.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On the film itself, in so much as I remember it, however much I remember liking it, it somehow lacks something, I don't know what. I guess it is the undefinable quantity that I can call "It was worth watching", the one I always get when watching a superhero movie. Ancient Greeks might call it "Catharsis", I dunno. It seems that after watching a superhero movie, you come out of the movie theater relieved that a man who has some super powers, who could have used them to get super rich or powerful or anything, used them instead for the good of the world, his country, his city, his own.

That has been, for me the whole essence of those movies and I guess this is what I like them so much.

"The watchmen" is good in its own way, if one is to go beyond the "sleaze" or the absolute corruption of some of the "heros" in that film. In a way it is like a good digestive after "super hero" over consumption. It allows for some of the things we fear of watching in a super hero flick to become real. What if the super heros are actually bad, what if they are weak and eventually use their power to rape and pillage (much like the comedian did)? Or, what's even worse, having some of the super heroes over there play god? How could anyone do that, I wonder? How could anyone, despite all the powers they have (or think they do- as we must always remember that we are just human beings in the end and "Watchmen" is just another movie in the end) abandon their people and go off to space and play "creator of the universe"?

I guess "Dr. Manhattan" is the penultimate anti-Superman. Not because he turned bad in the end-he didn't, but because he didn't care and just walked out. Superman (you can tell I'm a fan, right? even if Black Knight and Green Lantern are up there as well, with Batman being a favorite) cared. Not for himself but for everyone else. He used his gifts to do good, help out, stand up to evil. I guess people will always complain about how things in real life are infinitely more complex and in million shades of grey, whereas in the flicks things are just black and white with the "good guys" only picking white, but those are the movies, right? That's why we go there, to get "Katharsis" a good ol' cleansing of the soul, as true now as it was back in Ancient Athens' tragedies, 2500 years ago. In this aspect, this movie shines, as it turns out that the "golden boy" who had it all and supposedly used his power for the progress of mankind was just a Dr. Manhattan-jealous prick who wanted to "become super duper majick empra" in the end. Supposedly looking for the environment and clean energy while always looking out for n.1 (himself) and becoming super-rich only to use that wealth to become a... paranoid megalomaniac delusional Nero in the end, ready to burn the entire world if that suited him.

What this movie did for me, however, is to make me go back to the superhero-action-cop flicks I love with a vengeance. Because in those films, all heroes face the ugly part of life, as they find it and either try to fix it or defeat it or get defeated trying. That's what heroes do, in the end. That's why, us, little people look up to them, knowing full well they aren't real. Because, by looking up to them, we can, even in the slightest, improve our own daily lives.

Let's not forget one thing. Some historians suggest that Alexander the Great "played Achilles" his entire life, aka lived his life as his supposed ancestor and mythical figure Achilles, did and did things as he perceived Achilles would do. For Alexander, his life was his own Iliad. That was the reason why he jumped over that wall and was alone fighting against an entire city. Guess what? He became Alexander the Great in the end, a real legend which will always defeat a fictional mythological character called "Achilles". I needn't say, again, "do not try to become Alexander the Great", because, we are fortunate enough to have RTW for this, and rule our imaginary lands to our hearts' content. Our own daily lives, as insignificant and as boring as they may seem, are, in a sense, greater than Alexanders' because, those of us who made it, can go back to a home of their own and loving wife and children. (best of luck to everyone else). That is no small feat. Alexander the great, may have beaten the world, but he couldn't defeat himself. Anyone who is raising a family, has done it and is doing it every single day, again and again and again. Some may falter, true, but that's where the "movie world" comes to aid the real world. By allowing us to "cleanse our soul" off all filth that can accumulate, we can go back in the real world better people.

Nobody's saying that a movie can be any replacement for spiritual guidance found in a Church, Mosque or Synagogue, therapy if such is needed or medication if doctors prescribe it. A movie can't be a cure-all, nor is that its purpose. I can't imagine, however, a better way for anyone to learn a little bit about themselves than by watching a movie and playing a game in PC or elsewhere. What we would do in both, sometimes is exactly what we will do in real life. The huge difference of course is that we might actually understand we do something wrong in the fictional world and try to fix it in the real world. Something as simple as taking our responsibilities more seriously, wherever those lie. No, no need to don on spandex to become a super hero. Being responsible for the things we can help with is just as good, I think.

Those were my 2 cents, off to re-watch "The watchmen" (pun intended).
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    Pandorum wasted a lot of cool things. It was also the victim of bad editing. They cut out stuff [at least I am assuming this is what happened] that made the plot not as coherent as it could have been, and then left in a lot of useless scenes that made the movie drag at places. And it had a worthless actor who never said a single intelligible word the entire movie...
    You mean that Vietnamese kick-box champion right? I thought he was a really cool pick for an very original role. I guess he was supposed to be an Amazon rain-forrest Indian who didnt know any English.

Also Ben Foster and Dennis Quaid where very nice picks.

The editing didnt bother me much, I was quite impressed by the overall visual aspects(audio OK that sucked at times, but was IMO very good at times too). What I liked most is that there where no lame Hollywood jokes, actions made more or less sense, the story, the claustrophobic atmosphere, suspenseful, and the obligatory romance wasn't overexposed, although I sometimes feared it would.

I just saw Knowing, for the 3rd time.

Laetus

Default Re: What's the last movie you saw?

last movie i saw was planet of the apes. i've seen it already twice but my brother wanted to watch it with me.
    it is about this astronaut and he time warps to a world where apes rule. and the story goes on and he tries to escape.
    pretty cool and ape-ish

The original or the remake?

The last movie I saw was Waterworld. 4.5 out 10.0

The movie had such a grand scope. It had a neat set up. But they botched so many things. They asked for way too much suspension of belief and the movie falls flat on it's face.

Laetus

i think i watched the planet of the apes remake, im not sure o.O