Thread: The "I just saw" thread

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

Bad Boys 1983

This movie is older than me.
    A very young Sean Penn gives a solid performance.
    Classic 80's gangsta flick.
    More like juvie than gangsta, really.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; June 16, 2022 at 11:05 AM.

The witch by Rober Eggers movie from 2015, marketed as (VVitch)

Also Turbo Cola totally recommend, ( 90s nostalgia is going to be the new next thing )

Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 16, 2022 at 05:40 PM.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Pretty freaky and hilarious, at times.

Obi-Wan

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bad ass series, bad ass ending.
    Insanely good.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Operation Mincemeat (2021)

Interesting look at an unbelievably fortunate diversion.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Thor: Love and Thunder

Don't worry I didn't actually pay to go see it, but I did have to pay for the gas. That alone made it not worth it.

A fun movie but technically a bad movie.
    This is basically just Thor Ragnarok if Thor Ragnarok had been bad. Moreover this is basically post-MCU because now instead of coming up with decent plot lines they are just copying the dog crap that has come out in the comics in the past 10 years. This movie is still better than Dr. Strange I will give it that.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So Jane Foster is Thor now... okay. Not to worry, the real Thor is in this though. Had this only been Natalie Portman pretending to be Thor this would have been awful. Apparently the writers of this movie were more competent than the people who wrote the comics. But why does she get offended when The Mummy calls her "Lady Thor"? Isn't that what she is? Does she identify as a man? Actually why is her name Thor? Shouldn't it just be Jane??? No no, she identifies as "The Mighty Thor".

Plus being directed by Taika Waititi must have helped. But now I am getting Waititi fatigue. This guy approaches stage 4 leukemia the same way that he approaches the Holocaust. Yeah okay it is funny but that stuff is kind of a big deal. This movie jumps from some of the most depressing in any MCU film to making jokes within a few seconds. A child died? How sad! Two seconds later: hahaha this funny. Some people said that given the subject matter, and the opening scene of the film, this should have just been serious. I think not. It would have been boring and I can't take this MCU stuff seriously. Instead of stupid jokes they should have taken the time to fix the issues in this movie and have the story make sense.

The fights sucked. Slow as hell. The mummy dude with the evil long sword seemed slow and clumsy. A cool concept but terribly executed. Choreography was not that good.

New Asgard looked way off. Didn't seem or feel like Asgard at all. Not even remotely.

Cool lots of gods... what did they even do? Completely pointless. This is actually the moment where I tuned out and realized this movie was not going to live up.

Children were terrible in this movie. Actually worse than cancer. Screen time that should have been given to literally anyone else.

Too many characters that don't really do anything. Sif does nothing. Valkyrie doesn't do that much. The rock man doesn't do that much. Worse part about this movie is that Loki isn't even in it. Find it hilarious how Anthony Hopkins is nowhere to be found, even in flashbacks with Odin in them they use shots of Odin's back.

No Karl Urban in this one... a wasted opportunity.

Based on the opening of this movie I thought that it was going to be the greatest movie of all time. Thor teaming up with the Guardians? Genius!!! ...no wait never mind. This movie would have been way more serviceable if Loki was in it to be honest.

The villain could have been good but he didn't get enough screen time or development. Wtf was his name? Gror??? Gror and Thor? Not confusing at all. Though he was basically just Thanos in reverse. Also that ending was terrible. Why didn't he just wish from... Galactus(???) to get ultimate power to resurrect his daughter? Cause the sword was killing him (he has sword cancer)? Why didn't he wish to resurrect his daughter, then his daughter can wish for him not to die, and Thor can wish to resurrect Jane? In this Marvel universe of infinite powers, technology, magic, you are telling me that not one thing in the universe can cure cancer? REALLY???

Finally, another Thor movie is inevitable because Chris Hemsworth has nothing else going for him. So he is likely to be Thor for a long time just so that he can get the money. I mean what does the MCU have at this point? Not Captain America, not Iron Man, not Black Panther. Not that the studio seems to care though. Post-MCU feels like fan fiction and it seems like most people are developing cape fatigue. No idea why I was dragged to watch this movie. At least I laughed for two hours... Maybe less.

Couldn't help but think how different this is from the original Thor movie. It is unrecognizable in its tone, pacing, the world (no Asgard), the characters (literally all of them are dead except Sif, Thor seems like a completely different character). Honestly if this wasn't called Thor I wouldn't know what this was.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; July 09, 2022 at 10:17 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The Northman (2022)

This was not what I expected judging from the trailer I saw but I liked to be surprised.

Patrician

Doctor Strange 2... utter dog do not watch this.

But how is there a Guatemalan space alien called America? Like if she is an alien how the heck is her name America? Clever: a Nicaraguan lesbian called America. Very chique, very 2020's. Can't wait for the 2030's.

EDIT: Oh yeah Scarlet Witch... a character that never should have been in the MCU to begin with and should have stayed in X-Men. Easily one of the worst and most pointless characters in the MCU, up there with Hawkeye. Next worst is Vision. Who isn't a person. There I said it.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; July 09, 2022 at 10:24 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

^ yeah, thanks. My instincts confirmed, unfortunately. I'm to the point where all Marvel and Disney Star Was is crap.

In other news:

The Boys - must watch.

The Umbrella Academy: should watch

Stranger Things: Should watch (but only if caught up, or else ignore completely)

Kenobi Series: Do not watch

Patrician

Yeah definitely avoid Doctor Strange aka Not Tony Stark.

I did say that people have cape fatigue... but thinking about it Thor is barely cape since it is more like sword . On that premise I think that is one reason Thor will have an advantage with audiences. It is more a Taika Waititi style comedy which gives it another advantage, with a character that comes from cape but which is really just sword . It pays lip service to the idea of vikings and come to think about it not one character is explicitly a super hero. So basically it is Norsemen if Norsemen was actually funny. There I said it, Norsemen isn't funny and I don't understand how it has 3 seasons.

The Girl on the Train (2016)

This film made a lot of effort and took time to establish a narrative but then, surprisingly, turned things around.

Patrician

RRR is an Indian movie from Tollywood. Finally a good movie. This is entertaining, it has action, dance numbers. This movie is friggin crazy but in a good way. Easily the best movie I've seen in the last few years. The only down side is that it is like 3 hours long and it drags on for some time. Personally the last 20 minutes or so were worth it.

IT IS FUN. IT IS EPIC. GO WATCH IT.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Black bird: so far so good, interesting plot and vilain and good production.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Stalingrad (1993)

I originally watched this movie when it came out (I was 14) and it was a game changer to me, certainly nothing like that was seen before this movie (I'm surprised it's not rated, honestly). Pretty good in basically every aspect, a must see IMO for anyone who really wanted to know what WWII really was about.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Stalingrad was very brutal, but realistic. War is no pony farm.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

I actually watched it with my uncle, the missionary (I spoke about him a few times here at TWC, he died in 2017).. anyways, he wanted to watch it because his elder brother died in Russia (most probably around Stalingrad) .. it was a crazy experience for me, watching that kind of brutal movie together with a Franciscan missionary really turned my views upside down.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

So Ji-Seob plays a contract-killer, in the vein of A Bittersweet Life .
    Not as realistic, pretty ok fight scenes and at times it gets downright comical.
    Especially towards the end, with the Final Boss showdown.

Nothing too special in the script, except some real heartfelt moments regarding a single mother.

Melchior the Apothecary (2022)

Quite decent production from Estonians. I liked a lot the tone and sets in this movie. The costumes were the weakest part in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Costumes (including armors, weapons, etc) are by far the hardest part to get right in any reconstruction, IMO.

Top Gun (1986)

I had never been interested in watching this movie until now. Well done, no regrets!