Thread: What do you guys think of the pending Fallout show?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default What do you guys think of the pending Fallout show?

I haven't played the games, and have read only a little of the lore. So wanted to ask if this looks like those into Fallout would expect or not.
    To an outsider, there are some signs of making it all way too progressive/inclusive, when it is about a post-nuclear war world, but maybe that is in the lore too - just not adjacent to Frank Horrigan
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you guys think of the pending Fallout show?

The aesthetics are absolutely fallout, so is the gore humor. I get the impression that something very similar to Megaton (scenarios) appears... Exactly what do you mean by "progressive"? Was it just a comment to spice up the discussion?

As someone who isn't into Fallout lore, I was wondering if in the games it was typical to see female leaders - since there are a few of those in the trailer - or it's just an insert to make it more inclusive. Irl, after a nuclear war, I doubt society will become more progressive ^^
    Is race in the US an issue in Fallout?
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Blog Entries

Can you specifically point out what you have seen in the video that makes any reference to race or sex/feminsim? I seriously don't know what you're talking about.

Apart from the main protagonist (in the games you can choose age, sex and generic physical appearance) in the trailer I only see one female leader or "badass" (no idea what her role will be in the series). I also don't see any reference to racism/races. There aren't any in the games either, at least in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Edit: The most clearly evil tribe in Fallout New Vegas are openly misogynists. Information in case it is of any use to you. And most leader/main characters are men. There are female leaders of small groups, there are female scientists, but no "main leaders" as far as I remember. (I'll be delighted if this becomes a request for more main non-playable characters to be women in Fallout games).

Edit 2: Have you seen any stupid video on YouTube in which the series is accused of being woke, Kyriakos?
    Last edited by mishkin; March 07, 2024 at 02:47 PM.

No, but there are many comments complaining about female bosses in the comments of the trailer video
    Intuitively, it'd be strange if post nuclear war you'd see many such, though.
    Race was referring to the black brotherhood of steel guy - maybe in the games those are nazi or something

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

I like female bosses. Screw believability. Give us unrealistic badass female bosses in chainmail bikinis, I say.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I don't like looking at characters that haven't got a nose.

Blog Entries

"It seems incredible to me that there are female leaders in a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by talking noseless zombies or two hundred kilo super mutants disguised as girls" is such an excessive comment that I choose to believe it is trolling. If it is real misogyny, fighting against it is far beyond my capabilities.

Or, you know, you could reflect on whether the actual game world has them?
    You act like Fallout is something created for this tv show, from nothingness.

Blog Entries

I still don't know exactly what your complaint is. that there could be (we have no idea right now) female leaders in the series? That that would betray the spirit (what spirit?) of the video game? This is trolling or the most hysterical preemptive attack in recent history.

Edit: If you're just bored we can talk about a thousand other things.

Ok, I am just bored ^^
    I am not into the game, so you could have inferred I don't care either way, just thought it could be a good thread due to others here playing Fallout, taking the youtuber model to TWC

It seams more similar to fallout 4 then 3 to me unfortunately ... but overall the trailer was good.

I like female bosses. Screw believability. Give us unrealistic badass female bosses in chainmail bikinis, I say.
    Sadly you probably only get the karen aspect of girl boss, and not the fun bikini part this days in this kinda stuff
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 08, 2024 at 08:48 PM.

Don't care any more.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    It seams more similar to fallout 4 then 3 to me unfortunately ... but overall the trailer was good.

Sadly you probably only get the karen aspect of girl boss, and not the fun bikini part this days in this kinda stuff
    I just saw 4 women in the entire trailer.
    For starters, I don't see what Kyriakos is talking about. 9/10 is men on that trailer. If the show is like that, the feminists would go berserk and honestly, I would expect about half the population to be women. We only see men on the trailer. On the other hand, we see warriors on the trailer, so... yeah, mostly men.
    The women depicted, one old woman pen-pusher, a middle-aged woman and a two young ones are realistically depicted, IMO.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    The aesthetics are absolutely fallout, so is the gore humor.
    I agree - a post-nuclear yet strangely 1950s-style world, dark humour, vault dwellers who don't know much about life above ground, a ghoul, a Mr Handy, people in power armour, adventuring with a canine companion - and the look of the vault - are look familiar based on my experience of Fallout 4. I like the look of the trailers I've seen.
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 10, 2024 at 11:48 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

The issue with any Fallout series is if they will be able to pass that feeling of loneliness and scarcity which makes the games to be loved and appreciated by many. If they won't, then it's just another generic adventure show, but in Power Armors.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I'd be interested in the Master or Frank Horrigan ^^
    Does this have the Enclave at all?

Blog Entries

Fallout - First Scene | Prime Video:
    STRONG LANGUAGE
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It looks pretty good to me
    Last edited by mishkin; March 20, 2024 at 04:41 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Looks very good indeed, cinematic and details are basically perfect (love those toilers seats, btw )
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Where is the Enclave?
    All the others are barbarians imo ^^