Thread: The "I just saw" thread

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

Fleabag

Quite an insightful journey into the mind of a greedy, perverted, selfish, apathetic, cynical, depraved, morally bankrupt, mannish woman who can’t even call herself a feminist.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Free state of Jones (2016 iirc)

This really isn't as much a movie as a piece owing its existence to very current political power-games. I mean, even films like The Patriot had some value as cinema as well, but this one appears to have been made just so that it can preach to a choir, with no intent of being artistic.
    It would be far more logical to not turn films into another blatant gimmick, imo. Yes, black people were treated monstrously, but cinema isn't the place to make a stand for that; surely it isn't in the medium's powers, so how is the Free state of Jones not a ploy to make noise and sell a few tickets for what is otherwise a forgettable movie with cartoon-like villains?

I did watch the film, yet had to fast-forward the part after the end of the war.
    Free State of Jones

The trailer is very misleading. It does touch on the revolt in Jones county but this movie is more about Newton Knight's relations with African slaves.

While I thought this was a movie about the Civil War and a revolt against the Confederacy... it somehow turned into a movie about slavery and civil rights. So while that was confusing... this is barely a movie. They basically have two narratives in this film, one about slavery and civil rights and then another about farmers rebelling against the Confederacy. What one has to do with the other I simply don't know. As far as "Black movies" go and movies about slavery, this is way down there. Maybe skip this movie and watch Glory instead?

Glory is so much better as a movie, and is more to the point since this movie doesn't have to pretend that it isn't a slave movie. The premise is slaves taking up arms and joining the fight under the Union army, and their White officers. Which makes way more sense than a disjointed narrative like Free State of Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTyyvQA_5h4
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 13, 2020 at 08:42 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The First Knight was done by Boorman? Wasn't that Jerry Zucker? I saw it as a kid, found it very meh. Sean Connery as King Arthur was alright. Julia Ormond as Guinevere was... okay? Ben Cross as Malagant, also an okay choice but quite weird. Richard Gere as Lancelot... wtf? It was an... interesting take on the Arthurian legends.

I assume you meant Excalibur? It is the only good adaptation of Arthurian tales that I have seen, at least in my opinion. The cast, much like in First Knight is good, but just works so much better than the Zucker film. I think what Zucker lacked was a real vision and an interesting movie. Boorman did it really well with Exscalibur.
    Err no what I meant was First Knight was vapid and Connery just mailed it in because that is all you were going to have to do. With Boorman whatever the film at least you signing up for an interesting ride. I did not mean to reference the always fun to re watch Excalibur.

As for Zardoz, I was largely commenting on how bat crazy it is. But also how it actually does make sense. Maybe people don't get it because they are distracted by how strange it is. Boorman tried to make an original film but he ended up making a thesis about the decline of the modern world.
    Again that was my point I think were I an actor I would sign up for whatever weird move Boorman was making be it ending flop or famous just for the wow that is really out left field factor.
    Last edited by conon394; November 14, 2020 at 07:03 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Three Days of the Condor

This is like...
    Casablanca and Conspiracy Theory and The Fugitive in one movie.
    Faye Dunaway is just too fine.
    Redford's not bad either.
    Really smart film.
    Good film. A good companion watch is the Parallax View.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician

I should have realized that you were referring to Sean Connery.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

The Dead Lands 2020

If this was just a zombie movie I wouldn't have watched it. But it is a zombie movie which is actually Maori action adventure. The plot is interesting, there is a lot of intrigue, lots of action, some magic stuff, all the characters are good.
    Waka Nuku Rau was badass, the girl Mehe while being a mix of admirable and annoying, took a nice change of pace later when she realized she didn't know everything. Some of the characters are one dimensional until you realize that they are actually more complex.

The basics of this show is that there are zombies. Anyone who dies becomes a zombie. Protags want to find a way to stop the zombies. They run around barefoot in the woods and fight zombies. It is really violent and really bloody, maybe don't let your kids watch this. There is more stuff but that is the gist of it.

Apparently this show is based on a film of the same name that came out in 2014. I will watch it at some point. This was actually made by the New Zealand director Michael Hurst, who brought us things like Spartacus Blood and Sand. I would not have realized that it was the same guy because the show is completely different.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

The last four episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Regardless of its faults, I bloody enjoyed it.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Midsommar

Glad I didn't watched this movie with my Ex Girlfriend.
    I can see why she would like it.
    She was a chunky sadistic toxic person.
    Just like the protagonist.

Also,
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    if they're a cult and they routinely sacrifice half of their lot each year in May, they're bound to run out of people, right?
    Eh, why do I even bother with logic?
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 01, 2020 at 01:44 PM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Let the Right One in

I liked the dark romantic story between the young bullied Oskar and the young mysterious Eli, which only met each other at night...
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Tenet: the next generation heist movie, Inceptionish. Original idea but I am still scratching my head to make sense of the time twist. I didn't like the dialogues much but everything else is top notch.

Freaky

What if the slasher and the final girl traded places?
    Wow, mind blown, right?

Well actually, no.
    This proves that you can use all the cliches and still make a cliche film.

Best part of the movie?
    Vince Vaughn saying:
    'Plunge me deep into love.'
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 05, 2020 at 09:20 AM.

Fatman

Good to see Mel Gibson back on the horse.
    Reindeer, I mean.

This is how I like my Claus: armed and ready.
    Good movie, actually.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 05, 2020 at 12:27 PM.

Tenet

Waiting for this for a long time.
    Nolan's officially become too smart for me.

Exceptionally good-looking black dude fights his way through way his fights dude black looking good Exceptionally.
    That's kinda how this movie was/is.

Love how every character speaks very matter-of-factually about things that quantum physics hasn't yet proved they exist.
    Also,

Soldiers being debriefed before the mission:

'You are the team that fails to diffuse the bomb.'

Soldiers:
    'Wow, I like them odds!'

And let us not forget:

'Who do you work for?'
    'I work for you! In the future!'
    'Me-me?'
    'No, you-you!'

Mind blown.
    Well,no.

Not actually.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 11, 2020 at 05:32 PM.

I am your woman: light on scenario, but solid acting and directing make it an enjoyable watch.

Industry: it's rubbish, avoid

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Savage.

Low budget Australian gang movie. Pretty good, told mostly in flashbacks of the central characters child and teen years. There's no great plot, it's just the story of an unglamorous, crappy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    The last four episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Regardless of its faults, I bloody enjoyed it.
    Got sucked into watching with my son and oldest daughter back when it was live. Can't watch the new final season. Son is locked down at college so we plan to wait till summer to binge watch the entire thing together. I take this as a good review for added season?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Tenet

Waiting for this for a long time.
    Nolan's officially become too smart for me.

Exceptionally good-looking black dude fights his way through way his fights dude black looking good Exceptionally.
    That's kinda how this movie was/is.

Love how every character speaks very matter-of-factually about things that quantum physics hasn't yet proved they exist.
    Also,

Soldiers being debriefed before the mission:

'You are the team that fails to diffuse the bomb.'

Soldiers:
    'Wow, I like them odds!'

And let us not forget:

'Who do you work for?'
    'I work for you! In the future!'
    'Me-me?'
    'No, you-you!'

Mind blown.
    Well,no.

Not actually.
    I loved Tenet. I think it's Nolan's best movie yet, but perhaps that kind of film appeals to pretentious people like me. Who knows? Either way, I enjoyed the action, the special effects, the dialogue, the characters, and the plot. Some pretty wild she-bang.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Got sucked into watching with my son and oldest daughter back when it was live. Can't watch the new final season. Son is locked down at college so we plan to wait till summer to binge watch the entire thing together. I take this as a good review for added season?
    If you're not into star wars, I would skip episodes 2-8. But the last four are great.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Night Hunter

Yeah, nah, I really wanted to enjoy this one but...
    Too many plot points leading nowhere.
    Wants to be Se7en but ends up being Zer0.
    Not even Henry Cavill's chiseled physique can save this one.
    Meh.

Possessor

Very Philip K. Dick-esque.
    Kinda bloody.

Spoiler:
    Sean Bean dies.

The Mandalorian

Well, can't say this season was better than the first one.
    Just different.

But in all honesty...

Spoiler:
    seeing Luke Skywalker at the end made me cry.
    Like a man.
    At the end of Terminator 2.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 19, 2020 at 07:47 PM.