Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Thread

Default Suggestions Thread

Post any suggestions you have for the Regalia team here!

Decanus

Default Re: Suggestions Thread

I'm thinking of one thing that might improve an overall experience of game. There is a weapon - rapier, which is not used by any unit. I think giving rapiers to officers will enhance the uniqueness of them, their current straight swords are a bit medieval imho.

To give them rapiers change "euro_straightsabre" to "euro_rapier" in warscape_equipment_themes in officer's string.

discet's Avatar Tiro
    If your a cop Im in micronesia if your not you dont need to know

Sorry not sure this applies as a suggestion, but I saw that you made accurate Irish Flags, I was wondering if that was indication that your mod has Ireland unlocked. If this isn't true I'm sorry, but could you point to a working Ireland mod?

Also a real suggestion an accurate Greek republic flag, or maybe a flag representing ancient athens, seeing as the greek republic of now adays didn't exist until 1917 I believe.

Um if you have the scripting skill make a few new units, and reallllllllly good skins for them. (Irish maybe?)

make the bags look more realistic

nothin else comes to mind
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. ~Napoleon

A great war leaves the country with three armies - an army of cripples, an army of mourners, and an army of thieves. ~German Proverb

Everyone's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals. ~Colman McCarthy

Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them. ~Pacifist Badge, 1978

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

The Ireland flags apply to the emergent faction, but they're not a playable faction as they don't exist at the beginning of the game. You can try going through the steps with an emergent faction unlocker (some mods direct you on how to grant emergent factions regions at the start, and you could use this to create a playable Irish faction), but Regalia is focused on aesthetics, not gameplay; you'll have to unlock Ireland outside of Regalia.

Comes Domesticorum

I was thinking for Greece's flags:

Blue cross on White Background: Absolute Monarchy
    White cross on Blue Background: Constitutional Monarchy
    Present day Greek flag: Republic and all Greek naval ships

LSD's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I was thinking for Greece's flags:

Blue cross on White Background: Absolute Monarchy
    White cross on Blue Background: Constitutional Monarchy
    Present day Greek flag: Republic and all Greek naval ships
    The Blue Cross on white background is kinda irrelevant, as far as I know(99% although i may be wrong ) it was never used officially, only during the revolution but in that case a lot of different designs were used then.
    My suggestion would be:
    White cross on blue background with a crown in the middle for Absolute Monarchy
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

White cross on blue background for Constitutional Monarchy

And the present day flag for Republic.

Also for naval jacks I would agree with Stavroforos, but a white cross on blue background(2nd spoiler) could work too

@LSD - Unfortunately we can only do 2 different flags - one for either monarchy and one for a republic. Currently the flags in Regalia are what you listed for Absolute Monarchy and for Republic, so we are in agreement there.

MissionMaximus's Avatar Foederatus

Definitely looking forward to the future releases of Regalia of Nations. I came upon a website that may be usefull to the retexuring of units (You guys might already be using it) but, in any case I'll post the link. It's got pretty much everything and the kitchen sink in it. All of you are doing a fantastic job, keep up the great work.
    http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...hru-ages-1.htm
    God bless, George Washington and the Founding Fathers of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!

Thats an awesome source Maximus. I don't know if our Uniform Guys have seen them, but if they haven't they'll love it. + rec to you.

As a suggestion to the uniform fellows; when there are multiple historical options for a given nation's line regiment, it might be best to pick the one that encourages the most diversity within the game. For example, I do not use Remo's Prussian textures simply because they look an awful lot like the United States as they are. Now, of course, I'm unsure if there were historical alternatives, but the point still sounds valid to me. Historicity first, with diversity always a thought.

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Roslolian View Post
    As a suggestion to the uniform fellows; when there are multiple historical options for a given nation's line regiment, it might be best to pick the one that encourages the most diversity within the game. For example, I do not use Remo's Prussian textures simply because they look an awful lot like the United States as they are. Now, of course, I'm unsure if there were historical alternatives, but the point still sounds valid to me. Historicity first, with diversity always a thought.
    I tend to go with the colors that are most accurate for the faction at a specific time (1750-1790 usually). Prussia had blue red and white, as did a lot of factions at this time.

If you want realism, you will get it in my textures. If you want more variety, there are a lot of other texture artists out there releasing different ones I'm sure you can mix and match. That is the beuity of these mods afterall, the ability to mix it up.

Perhaps a meshing of the two is possible. That said, I hope you didn't incorrectly assume I meant your textures weren't of good quality. I use many of your textures because you are so talented at their making. It's simply that I couldn't see the Prussians without remarking how odd it was to be fighting the United States, and so I had to dispense with that particular set. Now, as I said, I don't know if an historical alternative was possible.

What I'm really thinking of when I say that is when there were variants on a standard, such as different regiments in the same timeframe that had slightly different versions of the usual uniform. In such an instance, it might be best to pick the one that lends to the most variety. I'm reminded of a set of pictures for some nation, where the standard colors were present but also one regiment used an almost indigo hue in their facings, which set them quite apart.

When there's not an option, of course, then historicity must prevail as that is the principle aim of this mod, and to that logic I readily submit. I merely suggest that when an option does exist, it might be worthwhile investing in the opportunity for variety.
    Last edited by Roslolian; May 21, 2009 at 01:30 AM.

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

@Roslolian
    Are you saying that we need an artistic director to harmonize all our work?
    Check out:
    ''Ancien Régime'' a ETW Re-texture Project ( France, Poland-lithuania, etc...)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245857
    Regalia of Nations ( Flag, sounds, uniforms, effects mod):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189

As pretentious as that sounds, that's not necessarily a bad idea. It's also significantly different from what I actually meant, as I assumed you all kept a kind of running record of what factions had which textures. And an artistic director would only be so good as the source material available to him. But if the people working textures made a pool of sources, which I seem to recall your set beginning to do at the very least, then it wouldn't be too hard to harmonize efforts to ensure realism as well as aesthetic variety.

I'm not entirely sold on the necessity of an artistic director. As it stands, there are only three (two with Remo's departure if I recall rightly, which I sincerely hope he reconsiders if so) persons working on uniforms to the best of my knowledge. It seems that coordinating and keeping an artistic vision between the three (two) of you wouldn't be difficult as it stands. Of course, such a role would be useful if you didn't wish to bother with the cross-checking, or if there were more texture workers on board. With as small a staff as Regalia is using now, an artistic director isn't really necessary to harmonize the more subtle issues (such as vibrancy and dullness of colors or standardization of style) that a larger crew might stumble over. Still, it's an interesting idea and the impulse is an intelligent one.

Oh, one other thing that such a person could be useful for. Keeping up with the crew and posting regular updates on individual work and progress, as well as facilitating discussion amongst the mod members. Once again, the necessity of this task grows as the mod's team grows, and according to the personalities of the artists at work.
    Last edited by Roslolian; May 21, 2009 at 01:52 AM.

Well Orion has a semi-set color scheme going on with the Polish.

Yes, and it's a very good one. The first set I've seen that makes me want to play the Polish. I would note that they also look unique and don't resemble any other factions too strongly, which makes it even better on the whole. The key to realism isn't always realistic accuracy, but rather immersion. Part of immersion is identifying with the faction you play, which is why color schemes that are too similar to other factions can break immersion and therefore the sense of realism. Orion's work has been very wonderful on the whole, as has Remo's (though I still don't use his Prussians), so my point isn't really about anything already made. I'm just suggesting a basic principle for further work, is all.

So don't misunderstand me. I love ya'lls work. My overwhelming presence on your forums should prove that. I just thought I'd add that little idea; historicity first, and variety as well when possible.

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

Roslolian
    The key to realism isn't always realistic accuracy, but rather immersion. Part of immersion is identifying with the faction you play, which is why color schemes that are too similar to other factions can break immersion and therefore the sense of realism.
    I share totally this idea. Sometimes, it is just imposible to be 100% historical accurate due to many factors. but the color schemes always help. The problem is that many armies of the era used similar color sheme ( the prussian, the Dutch blue, red, white or the white of the French, Spanish and Austrian) When I started my Spanish project I ran in this specific issue. It is unbelivable how similar the French and Spanish uniforms are! They used the same colors for the same use ( infantry = white. cavalry, guard and foreign troops = blue and red ). So, it become important to think about some other details that make a faction unique to create immersion. I think that cultural details are always great to add but always need more research...
    Check out:
    ''Ancien Régime'' a ETW Re-texture Project ( France, Poland-lithuania, etc...)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245857
    Regalia of Nations ( Flag, sounds, uniforms, effects mod):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189

I'm glad to hear that you agree with the principle. As I said, I agree that it can be troublesome when certain factions have very similar color schemes, but you yourself actually did a wonderful job dealing with that problem in your French and Spanish regiments. The variety is present and clear enough that the similarities aren't jarring.

Now, the way that variety could be used in terms to Regalia is very simple. Let's say we are to pick one universal line infantry texture for Spain and one for France. You turned up several variants for French line, and two for Spanish. The principle of variety simply says; pick the variants that are most diverse. Personally, given the Austrian textures, I'd go with either the 111th or 10th for France, and de Sevilla for Spain.

I think you have a good grasp of this though, as your work always does manage to turn out the nuance that keeps factions individualistic. I am grateful for the opportunity to continue the dialogue though, in case anyone else was still confused as to what I meant.

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Just a very simple suggestion. You could make more factions playable in the custom battles. I know you can't make the all playable. Just some factions for example a few of the most significant european factions + middle eastern ones and american indians.
    --------------Arengada--------------

Hello

I suggest to gather in only one pack (*.exe) all your little mod << Regalia of Nations >> ;

- Flags
    - Sounds
    - Uniforms
    - Effects Mod
    (smoke / fire / explosion)
    - Music
    - etc...(..)

in only one file with install files.

I suggest too to remaking the map... i dont like it ! As the mod Roma Surrectum for Rome Total War ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=251 ) they have create from 0 a New Battlemap Environment and new map. The result is impressiv, one would believe to see graphics of Medieval II Total War ! So, i suggest you to exploit all the potential of the new graphic engine of Empire Total War and recreate a new map with a new environment of battle even prettier. And if you find people want do it, please, create a full WORLD ! include the Africa, with the possibility to go to capture African villages in central Africa (with big forest and superb landscapes on map) or South Africa to obtain slaves. It is thus necessary to create a new faction, blacks with lances and arrows which will defend these villages. They will be an invaluable economic resource !

Create too on the world map South America also, with this famous " Cape Horn " and all the North America !

For the gamepley, i finish a big campaign after 3 full days to play... I dont like the vanilla system. This is not long enough. I propose 6 turns by year !
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast