Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Yes, I can't say I notice them - but why is this implemented, I wonder? I liked the old way where you spent several turns in the red and really had to be careful how you played!
    Well, IJV3.0 already had the cash bonus in the full script so nothing has changed it's just that people probably were not aware of it.

Lionheart's Avatar Decanus

well you still need to have time to think your next move. One thing great about the scripts is that if you take a central town several other towns join your side. In the previous version i already liked this.

Now with the patch instaled i begun again a campaign with Julianus in 355. I was able to vanquish the Franks and Alemanni in my german borders. Luckly i already dispatched Chnodomarius to vallhalla and several other generals of the alemanni and franks. The celtics are always a pain in britain however Magnentius is the men in charge of eburacum so that border is protected for now. The berbers also give me some troubles in the beginning but after two battles near Rusaddir and three sieges of Cartenna for the time being they give up their attacks for now. Now i'm in war with Constantius and as a matter of fact i already killed the guy in Aquincum but my generals have several traits of disloyal so i'm going easy. The Iazyges and specialy the Tervingi are attacking me in Sirmium and Serdica it's hard to develop those regions that are always under attack.

Well but perhaps in a phew years i could unify the empire let's see. The most surprising thing that happened in my game is that finaly Julianus as able to have a male son that surprised me a lot. Since in preview games and other versions that will never happened to me. I have girls and some adopted sons but never a true male son. However i dont plan in making him the heir when we reachs adult age. He first will need to prove himself in the battlefield but i have high hopes for him.
    Last edited by Lionheart; April 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Proud member of EB: Novus Ordo Mundi

Wow, a son for Julianus? That is indeed extremely rare. Of all the times I've played it, its never occured.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Finished all my 365 campaigns and was going to install the 361 back but couldn't resist to take a peek at Julian's 355. well, i vanquished Franks, Allemani and Picts within 4 turns sacking all their towns. Finances got stable after being 100k in debt. Sacking barbarian cities helped erase much of the debt and now i'm turning roughly 17k a turn. Rebellions too r under control. Took Ravenna and Verona from rebel scum and all of a sudden Constantius empire declared war on me. Easily took Aquilea and besieging Arretium in winter 362. Shouldn't Italy fall to me if i take the northern cities???

Sounds like you guys are finding it way too easy. Perhaps I need to create even harder campaigns. Perhaps try playing on M/H instead of M/M and see what happens.

well i'm continuing my game. I'm now in 378 or 379 i'm playing for almost 20 years now. Only last night i was able to conquer all the mediterranean shores. However when i vanquished the last Constantii emperor in Apollonia the Roman Rebels become the new Constantius II empire. Now i have to deal with them. They possess several towns in Sassanid lands probably conquered by Constantius II earlier in game dunno. Also i as able to destroy the Greuthungi near Marcianopolis and they have disappeared as a faction, but true must be say they were very weak since they have been fighting the Huns so i simply needed to destroy is remnants. Also i finished off the Celts after several battles during this 20 years they were weak so i toke advantage of that now all the british islands will speak latin. But those conquests were highly dificult to control but i'm managing some way.
    About the son of Julianus i believe he will soon mature them i will send him to is father so that he can learn the right stuff fighting in the east. The ARmenians are bastards since i always helped them but now they have betraying me and lauch a attack in my easter borders. I also do not trust the Arabs but for the time beeing i have a alliance with the sassanids so this perhaps will put them in check. The Berbers have stopped the attacks in my african borders so i will simply leave them be in the sands of Africa. If they attack again i will consider teaching them another lesson.
    The Alamannii also have stopped is attacks for now but the Franks and Saxons keep coming after my german provinces. I have two interesting generals in that region but i'm sending reinforcements from Londinium.
    Also generals like Silvanus, Salutius, Nevitta, Gratianus, Charietto and two other guys that married in my family were already dead they are the main men that helped me overcome the wars. Barbatia is currently in Ravenna having a good retirement and control all Italy.

Very trusting of Gratianus there Lionheart, he's rebelled most of the times I've played the campaigns (should have learned my lesson after the second time ). These days he is rotting in a fort near the Rhine, occasionally thrown into suicide attacks against remnants of the Alemanni.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Oh the game loss the attractivness...Julianus was assassinated on the way of Susa and almost when i will come here to unify the empire since Susa as the last town held by the eastern romans.Damm the new emperor as a guy called Fullofaudes. Well i continue playing but i believe i will begun a new game probably. But at this point the Berbers, the Arabs, the Armenians are all gone. My eastern border in the following Rayy, Echbatana and Susa and now i'm bordering the Kidarites. Dont know what happened to the Sassanids but apparently they are beeing massacrated by the nomads, the Guptas are vassals of them so they are pretty powerful. Hope that the killer of Julianus was not a kidarite assassin. However Leontius, the son of Julianus, yes that's is name is in Echbatana with a good army perhaps i will play with them a little more.
    My western border is Vicus Saxones, Campus Chattii, Campus Cheruscii, Vicus Iuthungi, Vicus Alemanni, Augusta Vindelicorum, Carnuntum, Aquincum, Campus Carpi, Napoca, Colonia Dacia, Tyra and Vicus Sarmatae and i possess the crimea peninsula also. I'm borderinf the Huns that have a very large empire. The Vandals, Franks and Iazyges are all hordes and the most strong kingdom that borders me are the quaddi.
    Well that's a good campaign i believe.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Just wondering... When you go deep in the red with no hope of recovery... Whom do you owe the money to???

Just wondering... When you go deep in the red with no hope of recovery... Whom do you owe the money to???
    Central bank, IMF, Illuminati?????

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Vegetius Renatus View Post
    Central bank, IMF, Illuminati?????
    No. The mod developer.

No. The mod developer.
    JH is the new Bernie Madoff

well so i decided to give up the game. Truly after the death of Julianus i lost the interest but i'm pretty sad about that. Now i'm wondering wich faction i should try next? Perhaps the Quaddi i will try them.

Also Julianus one doubt when i conquered several german towns no vigiles appear that's normal? In all the game the only town that never produced vigiles was Tarentum. Is this normal? Or just a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    No. The mod developer.
    Thank Ahura Mazda, I was on pause. Now that I'll return, I still won't owe you.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have been playing the Sassanids in the 361 AD campaign.

So far I have been putting on a staunch defense in the East where Kidarites and Guptas have been throwing army for army against my poor cities. Merw is like a rock in the tides, but I lost Giruft early due a powerful assault to the Guptas, but now it is conquered back, same for Panggur and the Southern Gupta forces are utterly crushed.
    Meanwhile any of the very powerful rebel forces in my realm are annihilated and the bulk of my armies are moving to the East to defeat the Guptas and Kidarites.

In the West, I do have interesting a situation. I achieve to form an alliance with the Huns and they have been keeping the Armenians very busy.
    With the Romans I have been keepng peace but conquered some of their regions who were rebelling (Nisibis and Callinicum). Damascus is the next and a task force is moving to.
    So far I have not broken the peace

A very good combination of spy and assassin is being busy to increase unrest in some Roman cities so that they may revolt. What I am intending to take advantage of

So Eranshahr is stabilized again and look for new opportunities to become the new master of the world

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    I have been playing the Sassanids in the 361 AD campaign.
    How surprising!!!

But is it normal that shattering far more numerous stacks of Guptas and Kidarites is cakewalk for the Persians??? After trying their campaign in paralell to my roman one, I encountered no difficulty at all.

I've put aside the Romans for now and have started up my favourite faction, the Quadi.

Unlike my previous save where I just horded and went on a rampage I decided to sit tight and instead slowly but surely expand. It's been a little different (having to deal with negative income this time), have given the Goths a good hiding in the process and captured two Roman cities. The subjugation of the Goths actually freed up the great man himself Julianus to try and teach me a lesson. He besieged Aquincum so I sent Gaibormarius to releive Maroboduus, fought Julianus on the side of a hill and inflicted some losses initially with my Sarmatian cavalry. Julianus must have decided that there could be no victory (given that I smashed his cavalry) so he turned tail and fled. Maroboduus appeared at the top of the hill with all his forces and gave chase. I had been prepared to live and let live (for now) but joined in and engaged with his heavy troops. Julianus and some of his Dalmatian cavalry got away but his legions were crushed. Carnuntum was next and found out that he had fled here with what was left of his men (some 800 out of 2500 initially). With mixed emotions, Julianus is about to die here. I just cant have him running around the map arming himself with such shiny heavily armed legions.

I FEEL SO DIRTY!!!
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

And yet I respect you also!

Right after i downloaded this mod i started Constantius II campaign of 355 ad at 4tpy & soon after i decided to start another of Julian 355 ad at 4tpy, so sometimes i play the constantius one & sometimes julian. I managed to repell all invasions from the Goths, Iazyges, Sassanids & Quadi in Constantius II campaign & from the defensive i just started to go on the offensive but suddenly the Armenians & Julians's west Romans declared war on me & invaded my territory & on my Julian campaign i destroyed the alemanni faction, reduced the franks almost to dust, i'm dealing with a picts invasion near hadrian's wall & Constantius II betrayed me. After i complete them i plan to try all roman campaigns in time including Valens & Procopius but the most i'm looking foreward to start is julian's 361 ad campaign same 4tpy. So far the mod is really great, i haven't had much CTDs compared to what i'v read & i really like the Roman units & new late roman portraits
    Why i started Roman campaigns? cos they were the best.. in such mods & games where Romans are included they'r always my 1st choise. Their empire was the greatest they stood the longest & they were feared the most, no matter how much they try to portray them as idiots in today's films like one man slaughters doezens of them as if swatting flies, or romans getting hunted down & massacred by some young sexy chicks as if they'r little kids, or on the ground crying & hiding under a scutum cos to me thats all crappy BS.
    Anyway, i might start an Armenian campaign also cos i like armenian units too but for now i'll keep on 355 ad campaigns of Constantius II & Julian

well done on the mod btw
    Last edited by Praetorian1; May 03, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

† Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat

New game, 4tpy, 361, VH/Vh.

Well, right now game sucks. My armies in Hungary and Thrace are almost wiped out. I decided to not use reload, so if I mess up, I mess up bad. Julian is is Greece putting down some rebellions. Alemanni front is also quite bad, not many troops. Going to reconquer Spain now, but there has been some cities with big unrest in Italy and Middle-East. Hard, really hard. However, I managed to get my cash green .

No CTD so far.
    "We'll go to the front—and beyond it, if it'll save the galaxy. Sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light."