Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

Default Re: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

Since I don't have much time, I started a Frankish and an Alemannic campaign. I'll try a Roman faction later as they take considerably more time per turn to play, especially Imperium Iulianorum.
    I've also checked the berserkers and the only ones that are truly overpowered are Mormaers and Claiomnaghta. I'll mention this in the error thread.
    Last edited by justinius; April 05, 2011 at 08:16 PM.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Still in 361 AD, about 4 turns in, I think.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    In fact they haven't bothered me.
    The WRE have received considerable damage from the Quadi and the ERE has been also annihilated by the Sassanids. So I stayed alone in the Middle East, with a badly damaged stack of legio palatinae units and the Sassanids are sending 3 full stacks of cataphracts against me each turn. I have found it impossible to cope up with them so I just stopped playing this campaign.

I'm not a bad player, if you give me the WRE I can do miracles but against the Sassanid Empire I'm really unable to defeat them.
    That's mainly because they are ill-balanced. They had a smaller population pool than the romans, so there is no way they could have fielded forces 6-7 times larger than a Roman field army on a monthly basis.

That's probably because they are not meant to be played, they're meant to be a pain in the ass and dead meat for the romans to slaughter in epic battles.

After a couple of abortive attempts at playing the Kidarites, I go back to my old favourite, Julianus in 355 AD...six turns a year.

Only a handful of turns in so far yet Julianus could have cause to be hopeful of the future in regards to reunifying Rome. Barbatio is having considerable success against the Alemanni in having destroyed two armies within their territory. It's a risky move, for Barbatio is not the most loyal of individual's but for now there is little other alternative. Argentoratum is under seige but Barbatio, along with Florentius, should be able to lift it even as three Alemanni armies stare down upon it. This will require some maneuvering.

Further north, it is grim and desperate for its inhabitants, as Colonia Agrippina quail under the terrifying presence of the Franks, who surround it and seek its capitulation. Yet a faint ray of hope breaks through to try and illuminate this darkness. Julianus has marched hard with his crack legions and though he must destroy no fewer than four Frankish armies, confidence his high amongst the legions of the Invincible Julians that the barbarians will be driven back beyond the Rhine in terror.

In Roman Britian all is quiet, even as a large host of Saxon's loom near Cerdices, threatening its citizens with invasion yet content to wait...for something. The Picts to the north have yet to breach Hadrian s Wall and have shown no inclination to so far. That has not stopped Dagalafius invading Pictish lands with a hastily arranged army, which should be more than a match for the barbarians. Whether he intends to hold these territories or just make off with the loot is unknown.

Africa may as well seem as another world, compared to the crisis unfolding in Europe. The Berbers await quietly beyond the limes which incidentally have been disbanded, to provide essential policing duties in troublesome coastal cities. Acutely aware that the lightly defended provinces could be easily overrun from the raiders to the south, Julianus has dispatched Verenianus, the Comes Hispania, to watch over Africa and deal with any invasions and insurrections as they arise.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Nice write up there, Julianus! I enjoyed reading it and seeing how your campaign is progressing. Did I read right that you abandoned the limes???? Oh dear . . . !

Yeah, just the African ones...I had unruly inhabitants to pacify, which was quicker than what the bonuses from temples would allow. Actually, there is one fort left facing south, surrounded by a rebel army and watched carefully by the Berbers.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

I started a 361AD roman campaign, 4 turns in and I am doing good. Thank god for the scripted monehs. How long does the script keep you in the black?

Anyway, had a couple of RAM related CTD's, but I save all the time, so no problems with that. I have managed to defeat all the initial barbarian invasions, and started reconquering the provinces lost to rebellion. When I get home, I'll post some screens.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    I started a 361AD roman campaign, 4 turns in and I am doing good. Thank god for the scripted monehs. How long does the script keep you in the black?
    For 30 turns if you have less that 5000 denarii in the bank. It's like having an overdraft from the Bank Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    For 30 turns if you have less that 5000 denarii in the bank. It's like having an overdraft from the Bank Manager.
    That should be enough to finish the campaign before I go bankrupt.

Just an update on my 355 Julianus campaign...

All goes well in the never ending wars against the barbarians. Roman Britain is secured after Dalagaifus the Infantryman sacked Dal Raida and then boldly sailed towards the sacred Gaelic town of Tara. That too was sacked unmercifully and with that the flame of the Gaels was extinguished. Those remaining Gael forces fled to the countryside and were last seen brooding near Tara and took up the rebel cause. Dalagaifus enjoyed it so much in Ireland he decided to stay and leave behind Londinium.

Julianus has left the Lower Rhine in a state of peace, after having destroyed Frankish army after Frankish army. They cower within their villages, with the heroic Valentinianus left to watch the river crossings carefully. Valentinianus earned fame by recapturing Colonia Agrippina. Julianus now marches southwards to Italy, to receive fresh reinforcements and to ultimately force the issue with Constantius. Julianus is ever aware that the best laid plans can go awry, as the hostile Quadi appear to close in on Augusta Vindelicorum. One army awaits any possible incursion.

Many terrific battles have been fought in the upper Rhine regions against the difficult and intractable foe that are the Alemanni. Barbatio lies dead in the hills around Chnodomar, however he succeeded in taking down the mighty Chnodomarius the Great in an epic battle. He battled his successor Hortar in difficult and inhospitable terrain, that resulted in his death after having slain Hortar. Whilst seemingly holding the upper hand, the leaderless first army of the Alemanni did an about turn after suffering numerous casualties. A second army was ground into the dust, even without the inspiration that was Barbatio and a massive but costly victory was achieved. In his place was Domitianus, who hurried with Florentius to besiege the villages beyond the river. Domitianus destroyed the defenders and an army sent to relieve them and subsequently took Chnodomar. Fire and sword awaited the citizens and the Christian temples looted and those left behind became quiet and respectful of their new Roman masters. The region known as Vicus Alemanni is close to falling.

Finally in Spain and Africa, the frontiers are quiet. The Berbers are nowhere to be seen and now the Comes Hispania has moved on the rebel Roman cities along the coast to restore Julianus' authority. Tarraco is under seige and will be a difficult recapture as the rebels have armed themselves to the teeth.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

what is scripted money?? My assumption is that its a cheat that keeps your P&L theoretically in black when you should be bleeding red. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Vegetius Renatus View Post
    what is scripted money?? My assumption is that its a cheat that keeps your P&L theoretically in black when you should be bleeding red. Am I correct?
    Yes, it keeps you in barely sufficient funds to construct a port or a trader each turn. Or, if you manage to sack some cities, to recruit something.

I see. I prefer the traditional way. Break the bank roll first, bleed my weak troops, save the crack legios and eat as many barbarian cities for breakfast, lunch and dinner as i can. After few turns i take rollaids for indigestion and everything is fine, P&L in black.

This brings me to an interesting topic. I noticed from many screenshots and testimonies that people who tend to get in trouble quickly at the beginning of the game, are the ones who deplete their own crack units rather fast. I know many form their field armies according to actual roman standards and fight battles in accordance with historical accounts but these on many occasions are total understrength relative to AIs. I on the other hand use very unorthodox tactics. I tend to lure enemy into ambush, isolate him, double pound him for max effect to limit my own losses. I throw my garbage units first knowing that even if they loose they will but a dent into enemy my better troops can move in and explore. I use all cavalry battalions to use speed, power and missiles to my advantage, harassing him . When everything is said and done all is left of my troops are Palatine, Auxila, comitatenses, Cataphracts and Cimbrinari. Thats y i never worry about my P&L, no matter how much in debt. Wasting my garbage troops en mass but in good cause totally clears my accounts payable. After that there is no enemy to stand up to my crack troops coming at them backed by the thought that i can retrain em at will now that my bank is rolling again. Im open to your thoughts and criticisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Vegetius Renatus View Post
    Because of the dire financial problems the western faction faces, it is given some financial support for the first 30 turns. It doesn't necessarily garantee staying in the black but will help to reduce being in the red. It is included as part of the full script.

If some people feel that gives too much of an advantage can simply edit that section out of the full script.

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Because of the dire financial problems the western faction faces, it is given some financial support for the first 30 turns. It doesn't necessarily garantee staying in the black but will help to reduce being in the red. It is included as part of the full script.

If some people feel that gives too much of an advantage can simply edit that section out of the full script.
    The FIRST 30 turns? In IB Roman campaigns are usually shorter. On M/M, that is.

I'm playing the grand campaign of 361 AD - am I supposed to be getting help financially? Still in 361 AD itself and turning about 5000 which tells me that this is my own money rather than some kind of 'help'?

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    I'm playing the grand campaign of 361 AD - am I supposed to be getting help financially? Still in 361 AD itself and turning about 5000 which tells me that this is my own money rather than some kind of 'help'?
    You only get financial help if you have earmed less than 5000 deanrii. Is this making things too easy? I'm playing the 355AD campaign and finances are pretty much screwed. I owe more money than all of the developing countries owe the World Bank!

Nah, I dont think its making it easier at all...I am bleeding the denarii and dont even notice these cash injections, though things are easing a little
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Yes, I can't say I notice them - but why is this implemented, I wonder? I liked the old way where you spent several turns in the red and really had to be careful how you played!