View Poll Results: Would you like enemy AI reinforcements (when AI is more powerful) to:

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • join main AI army?

32 44.44%
  • attack player?

28 38.89%
  • do something else? (please post feedback)

2 2.78%
  • plant potatoes and watch Middle-earth pawn Central Europe on the market?

10 13.89%
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: ReallyBadAI Battle System +Hardcore +Settlements v5.7 >Oct 17< ### New Imladris AI ### incl. Battle AI and Content Switcher

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.81, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW and Real Combat+TATW

Indeed, congrats

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.81, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW and Real Combat+TATW

congrats on being official i hope that doesnt mean your going to sit back now going ah my work is done LOL i have been enjoying your 5 set ai probably the best bai i have encountered with the variety making you react to a battle more than before which was hmm they have that in there army i have this so i do this with your ai there is more off the cuff stuff going on GREAT WORK dont stop now i want to see a 6 batch i am greedy i know LOL ps is there a limit to the ai amounts in the switcher????

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

@Taiji and PB
    Tyvm

@Soul Firez
    Thanks and don't worry, now I feel obliged to work more. There's no limit on number of AI used, but there's a limit on combination of reasonable parameters, but again there's no limit on alternative formation number.

Regards
    I have no memory of this place.

Tiro

I never understood what kind of feedback would be required or even useful. What are you looking for exactly in a response to your modification. Some kind of general outline in behaviour of the AI that you wished to be observed would go along way I think.

Hey,
    I'd be looking to get report on possible inconsistencies or bugged behaviour. Some of it is hardcoded and some a possible consequence of making certain choices, but I'll gladly answer any post. Ofc if you happen to see some good decisions by AI, I don't mind that being reported .

Regards

hey maybe its just me but is there a way to stop the spear men etc who form the wings to stop charges or gaurd archers etc , from going to far from what they are gaurding i mean i find myself quite often taking my cav to the right just out of reach and have them chase me out and being faster i just keep moving out then when they far enough i ride around them and engage in charge on archers light inf what every i can tear apart

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Firez View Post
    hey maybe its just me but is there a way to stop the spear men etc who form the wings to stop charges or gaurd archers etc , from going to far from what they are gaurding i mean i find myself quite often taking my cav to the right just out of reach and have them chase me out and being faster i just keep moving out then when they far enough i ride around them and engage in charge on archers light inf what every i can tear apart
    There are ways, but they limit outflanking to somehow non-existant, so it's either AI which keeps missile units and half of its army at the back waiting for the other half of the army to loose and alternatively to get shot by archers themselves or AI that's more aggressive and tries outflanking. Limiting that would also cause possible issues with not going after routing units too. This "issue" exists in most AIs and if it doesn't it means units in that AI stand and watch the battle go past them.

New AI with important changes is up, it's huge unit size-specific, I'm looking for fearless AI users who'd report:
    - if supporting armies during sieges/battles stopped being passive most of time
    - if AI concentrates missile fire in a reasonable way (I think the v0.84 settings limit the tendency of javelin missile units trying to outflank and shoot your archers while they can't find a proper path)
    - if generals still keep from suicidal engagement in 1st stages of battle
    - if maneuvering by AI units is not negatively affected.
    Ofc I tested these changes a lot, but I'm looking for feedback.

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; May 15, 2009 at 08:25 AM.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.84, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW and Real Combat+TATW

Was it just <missile-strength-base-priority-modifier>0.001</missile-strength-base-priority-modifier> you changed to improve javelin targetting?

I've used that for a while and I find it really does help that situation but I'm wondering if you found something else to add to it

Also which settings do you think are helping the general stay alive early on?
    Last edited by Taiji; May 15, 2009 at 09:18 AM.

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.84, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW and Real Combat+TATW

@Taiji

Normally javelin infantry tries to attack missile units standing behind player's infantry line from front and if it fails to get in range, it tries to go around doing zig-zags. With this setting (>0.001<) it's more likely to target infantry and actually stand still a bit, ofc that doesn't totally eliminate the behaviour, but limits it.

Engage-dist of general unit is supposed to help that, I think it was 2nd change I made when trying to mod AI in the beginning. In previous releases it was smaller, now I extended the basic distance a bit, which results in GU engaging more often, but still within reason.

Regards

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I've actually found that >0.001< can cause what seems like a preference for shooting heavy inf units with no shield also. I had some feedback about the archers seeming to target trolls more often which makes sense in relation to what I see sometimes. It would be nice to think that something like that went through the mind of the AI's creator anyway, targetting the guys with no shield just makes so much sense.

I've yet to really prove to myself that GU engage distances have any effect, I know they don't mess up the other units but I don't see any effect with and without that bit of code. Have you tested it?... I seem to remeber you had a method... oh it's in a PM somewhere... I forget

The only 'successes' I've had in changing the generals behaviour significantly have been with the assault and contact GTA distances, making them longer makes the general stay further back but can also cause wierd behaviour. With formations also, I tried setting the GU 200m further back but all that did was to slow him for about 5 seconds or so... then he charged me ... plus that caused (or seemed to) some serious problems for the AI - he tried to march his whole army through mine. I wasn't expecting that kind of effect from messing with formations and it makes me think other effects can be achieved, perhaps by adjusting the GTA distances in conjunction with rearranging the formations.

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.85, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW and Real Combat+TATW

Updated AI is up, it got adjusted to fit multiple army sieges better.

@Taiji
    I suppose that if it directly went through their minds, these would be vanilla settings.

I posted that testing metod in DLV thread, in ReallyBadAI SS thread (2nd post) and in XBAI thread, so plenty of choices .
    This label works btw, so no worries.

Regards

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.85, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW and Real Combat+TATW

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicu5 View Post
    Updated AI is up, it got adjusted to fit multiple army sieges better.

@Taiji
    I suppose that if it directly went through their minds, these would be vanilla settings.

I posted that testing metod in DLV thread, in ReallyBadAI SS thread (2nd post) and in XBAI thread, so plenty of choices .
    This label works btw, so no worries.

Regards
    Funny thing, I was about to just say that the GBAI5 switcher crashed when I had 5 armies sieging Minas Tirith... could this be the reason?

@JonSnow
    Not really, I'd blame hardware or drivers, as 5 armies is a lot of men. I tried to crash the game by running 10 instances of the switcher while playing battles and I failed, so I wouldn't point to that reason.
    I also happened to play Minas Tirith sieges with up to 4 armies, never had a crash.

Regards

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.85, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW 1.1 and Real Combat+TATW 1.1

Bump.
    Since Germanicu5's Battle AI is now officially in TATW1.1, I (and probably Germanicu5) would really appreciate some feedback on the AI.
    Does it make smart or stupid things, how are siege battles, what could be improved, etc...?

Every feedback would be really helpful since it can only help to improve the AI.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Default Re: ReallyBadAI v0.85, Battle AI Switcher v*.81 and Scripts (Stakes etc.) for TATW 1.1 and Real Combat+TATW 1.1

Just played a couple of battles, the only bad thing I noticed is the AI still seems to be having difficulty with sieges. I'm playing as Rohan, and a larger Isengard force besieged one of my towns... As they moved up their siege equipment (1 ladder, 1 tower and 1 ram) I sent three cavalry units out to harass them, at which point they kind of just stood outside the gates doing nothing. They seemed to keep trying to get in the tower and then aborting it... So I'm not sure if the cavalry harassment through them off their pathfinding or not, but even when I pulled the cav off they still kind of sat around in a big undecisive pack.

Otherwise things are looking pretty good. Will play some more and offer more feedback.

I find the ai always marches forward really slowly... and my archers pick off 100s sometimes even 1000s before they get to me...

hi you both!

i have played lots of huge battles so far, with only your 1.1 + RC installed.

lets see:

field battles:

AI behaves in interesting ways. maybe a graphical glitch of mine but AI seems to be able to deploy stakes in mid battle.

battles are bloody. AI seems to be smart when flanking.
    they usually force me to line up my spears and then once they have my melee pinned retreat their cav from the fight and go flanking towards my missiles.
    instead of cavalry, if they outnumber me by a lot, they send infantry surrounding my enganged army.

cav evades almost always the stakes, and is never eager on jumping over pikes
    (except swan cav that seems to be able to eat a few pikemen units undamaged in normal RC.. i had to mod pikes giving them spear_bonus_8 instead of 4..)

they tend to throw their generals to the freight pretty much, but not as much as in standard BAI.

in most of my fights, AI had some kind of restrain on using all their troops in the first push, and that is great. (AI keeps fresh troops and mobilize them in time of need)

its hard to outflank the army and go hit their general, but its fairly doable. but dangerous.
    sometimes, not always, their army looks fixed on walking forward ignoring flanks, so i can move lots of troops to surround them and they do not react.

havent experienced much about the siege machines behaviour. they dont seem to bring one too often and i have none.

before i had taken osgialiath by attaking a small army (1 or 2 units) standing on the bridge, but in the later version i tried that twice with no luck,
    they always retreated in time and finally i had to attack osgialiath in siege.

i have fought only gondor, and in early stages (later stages with different set of AI)

therefore, their armies where composed mostly of infantry and archers, about 2 or 3 cavs no more.

Many AI units uses their can_withdraw ability to charge again.

all in all, the worst thing is that even attaking i find myself always been able to play on defensive and letting them come to me.

siege

good wall climbing, still some lockups in huge scale, specially when unit has not yet ended climbing and the enemy unit protecting roots, but that seems unfixable afaik

good door mass control, i still find it a little too easy to get stuck there, but units dont tend to move in frenetic ways.

units of cavalry (huge) have some rough time trying to run in huge cities roads, they tend to stuck in corners.

the no-plaza-countdown used by taiji´s BAI is a masterpiece, i think you should use it if its possible to add.

i had not many sieges so far, i am at about turn 30, and i had not the opportunity to defend yet.
    i dont know how much of the "feedback" you found at taijis BAI page is actually usefull in that regard, i was using a mix of files that probably screwed up your AI design.

i will quote this post later when i have fought more battles, to expand feedback
    Last edited by ivanhoex; May 18, 2009 at 02:29 PM.

@Lowlander
    AI's siege behaviour sometimes really lacks any logics due to some hardcoded bugs, but the current formation settings should prevent using strategy like yours. Can you plz say if it was the main army and how many units were in it? I'd like to know which version of AI you're using as well.

@JonSnow
    Yea, that's not easily corrected (AI's army needs to reach the point from which the assault begins first, it can't be set too far from enemy lines).

@ivanhoex
    Nice feedback, some of these issues are hardcoded, as you suspect. Stakes are indeed deployed by AI during the battle. The current balance in general's engagement is something in between vanilla and passive behaviour. As for sieges... settlements weren't made to handle huge unit size and we can blame CA for that, the same with routing units getting stuck/freezing sometimes. I'll post new AI and Battle AI Switcher in a few hours, it includes various plaza timer settings, I won't make anything radical for now, as it could negatively influence AI. There's battle time limit in TATW by default and I need to see how AI would cope with it and disabled timer.

EDIT: New AI release will be delayed.

Regards, thx for feedback guys
    Last edited by Germanicu5; May 18, 2009 at 06:15 PM.

You can't make the assault position just a bit sooner? I have to make my archers run back and forth like speds to feel like I'm having a fair fight.

Not really, coz all unengaged AIs army will stand there and if it's too far they won't react to dangers on time and won't outflank/attack so well. The most I could give you would be ~20-25m extension, which isn't enough considering range of missile troops. If you want to fiddle with it, change assault-dist in config_ai_battle.xml to greater distance (v0.85 sets it to 55m, try 120 and see what happens ).

Regards