Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback and Suggestions

Default Re: Feedback and Suggestions

A question i went and opend up gimp and something weird happended all the menu that is on the lower half of the toolbox is gone?

here is a screen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Apparently, the dockable dialogs are a bit messed up. In order to fix it, left-click on the word "Channels", drag it onto the "You can drop dockable dialogs here" text on the left and release it there. Once you have done that, click on that small "arrow" symbol next to the word "Channels" and select "Add Tab" -> "Tool Options" (only do that after pulling the Channels dialog to the left otherwise the "Tool Options" will end up in the "Channels, Paths, Brushes" dialog on the right).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now there will be two tabs in the lower half of the toolbox: the "Channels" one which you dragged there first and the "Tool Options" one. Now simply select the Channels dialog again and drag it back to where you got it from. I'd also suggest clicking on the arrow symbol once again afterwards and add the "Layers" dialog as well since it is very useful.

ty my lesson 3 and 4 up soon

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

Just some feedback in general.

Considering this was a Basics class, you've given a good insight in several tool options and how to utilize them. As I understood it, the focus was more towards forum/community based works like avatars and such. Personally I think that was a great way to start since it was fairly easy assignments while still maintaining some kind of focus. Combined with the following assignments (userbars, wallpapers, texts etc) it would allow the students to delve deeper on their own.

I also liked that you linked to different plugins (brushes, fonts etc), as I was completely unaware that such feature existed. It will definitely be something I will be looking more into on my own.

I know I wanted to have some kind of review of the different tools, I also understand now that this probably isn't the best way to go in an introductory class. I also mentioned work flow and I did this because, at least for me, it's easier to get an overview if I get some kind of starting point. Eventually, throughout a couple of assignments, I formed a basic work flow but it wasn't until the animation assignment that it became real apparent. Perhaps, some kind of assignment repeating the same work on different pictures, would make the process more obvious. Anyways, that's just a suggestion if you're thinking of holding more classes.

Besides that, I'm genuinely impressed with the quality of your lessons. You've taken the time to introduce the objective, how to reach it and you've been there to help and answer questions. I did read your comments/remarks regarding my works and I tried to keep that in mind while doing the next assignments.

I have two questions I hope you could answer though:
    1. Any hot keys (besides shift and ctrl) you would recommend?
    2. Is there a way to undo separate markers while using the lasso tool? I've screwed a couple of times when I accidentally double clicked or even "tied" the picture together unintentionally.

Hope to see you tutoring more advanced classes and thanks once again for your great work.

- Sev

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

First I want to say, that I really enjoyed the lessons from this class and I think most of the people would agree with me.
    Secondly I want to ask you if you could make another class? One about the more advanced use of Gimp I think most of the people are desperately waiting for such a class now and so am I I would really, really love to do another gimp class under your supervision

So do more people want to join such a class and would you at least give it a try???? Please!?!?!

Under the patronage of Pøntifex Maximus

Meh, Once you got the basics you could just search for tutorials on the web.
    http://www.pxleyes.com/ <--- This is a good site for tut's.
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

lol but then we don't get shiny new master degree badges

but really that would be a good thing but if any more classes are hosted for gimp i would rather more details on the TW games, for example how to make advanced user interfaces,unit cards ect.

Yep , @ Ratbag , that's also what i wanted to be able after this lesson it kinda worked , as i made a 'ok' faction symbol

Also retexturing units atm , for a mod

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The thing is, the scripting class will begin soon and the Uni has a policy of holding only one course at a time currently. Furthermore, I'll spend most of the summer in the US and I can't tell yet whether I'd even be able to put together a new class in that time. Therefore, I probably won't hold any courses in the near future, sorry.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

The thing is, the scripting class will begin soon and the Uni has a policy of holding only one course at a time currently. Furthermore, I'll spend most of the summer in the US and I can't tell yet whether I'd even be able to put together a new class in that time. Therefore, I probably won't hold any courses in the near future, sorry.
    Hey, enjoy my country. Which sections are you visiting?
    Son of PW

I'll be going to Cleveland, Ohio to visit some friends.

I might also travel around a little but I don't know for sure yet.

Ah, you're nowhere near me. Have fun!
    Son of PW

Thanks.

Sorry Sevasti, I wanted to reply earlier but unfortunately forgot. Anyway, here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevasti View Post
    Just some feedback in general.

Considering this was a Basics class, you've given a good insight in several tool options and how to utilize them. As I understood it, the focus was more towards forum/community based works like avatars and such. Personally I think that was a great way to start since it was fairly easy assignments while still maintaining some kind of focus. Combined with the following assignments (userbars, wallpapers, texts etc) it would allow the students to delve deeper on their own.

I also liked that you linked to different plugins (brushes, fonts etc), as I was completely unaware that such feature existed. It will definitely be something I will be looking more into on my own.

I know I wanted to have some kind of review of the different tools, I also understand now that this probably isn't the best way to go in an introductory class. I also mentioned work flow and I did this because, at least for me, it's easier to get an overview if I get some kind of starting point. Eventually, throughout a couple of assignments, I formed a basic work flow but it wasn't until the animation assignment that it became real apparent. Perhaps, some kind of assignment repeating the same work on different pictures, would make the process more obvious. Anyways, that's just a suggestion if you're thinking of holding more classes.

Besides that, I'm genuinely impressed with the quality of your lessons. You've taken the time to introduce the objective, how to reach it and you've been there to help and answer questions. I did read your comments/remarks regarding my works and I tried to keep that in mind while doing the next assignments.
    Thank you, it's very much appreciated. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

I have two questions I hope you could answer though:
    1. Any hot keys (besides shift and ctrl) you would recommend?
    Hot keys aren't necessary I think. However, once you get used to the program it might be useful to remember basic hot keys, such as "F" for the Free Select Tool (lasso tool). It's up to you, though and not using them won't slow you down all that much in my opinion.

2. Is there a way to undo separate markers while using the lasso tool? I've screwed a couple of times when I accidentally double clicked or even "tied" the picture together unintentionally.
    Hm, I've had the same problem before. I think it's mainly a matter of getting used to it. Remember that you can move around the markers at will so if you mess up a bit you can simply move them into the right position. I don't know if there's a way to undo individual markers and don't think there is one, though.

Hope to see you tutoring more advanced classes and thanks once again for your great work.

- Sev
    You're welcome.

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

No worries, better late than never. Besides, my own memory is made out of teflon so I can't really complain.

Nevertheless, I wish you a happy midsummers evening.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Just as an FYI this class will be moved to the archives today at some point before midnight GMT to make way for the scripting class.

I would also like to show my appreciation for the work Asteroth has done in holding this class and doing a phenomenal job of it... through interpretive dance(you may have to press HD on the player ).

Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; June 19, 2009 at 09:03 AM.

Are you American ? Because what do you mean by 'midnight' ? How many hours still ?

Thanks AL.

Quote Originally Posted by KingTheoden1 View Post
    Are you American ? Because what do you mean by 'midnight' ? How many hours still ?
    He said midnight GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) so this class will probably be moved to the archives within the next 3-4 hours (currently it's around 8:30 GMT).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12