Thread: Mod help

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

Default Mod help

Hi,
    i have question - can i change names for peoples in someone faction

Example - need add new names only for Württemberg,not need change all german names.

Its possible?
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Methoz's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Mod help

many thaaaanks
    TotalWarForum.cz

Quote Originally Posted by Methoz View Post
    Hi,
    i have question - can i change names for peoples in someone faction

Example - need add new names only for Württemberg,not need change all german names.

Its possible?
    Yes. You have a couple of options on how to do this. As it is right now, the minor european countries all share generic units, so any name changes would effect all of them. To change them just for Württemberg, you'll need to clone the units you want to rename and add "_wurttenberg" to the unit name. For example, the "euroline" unit that shows up as "Line Infantry" in the game will need to be copied and renamed "euroline_wurttenberg". Then you add "euroline_wurttenberg" to the localisation.loc which is where you add a new screen name. It may sound complicated, but it's just data entry and copy/pasting.

Follow this tutorial:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239545

If you need a little more help with the Pack File Manager, I wrote a more detailed tutorial:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=259076

Methoz's Avatar Senator

2 erasmus777 - nooooo i need change character names in campaign... any units...
    but thanks :-)

If is possible make this -

original -> names_name_names_germanXYZ
    my new names -> names_name_names_"Württemberg"XYZ
    TotalWarForum.cz

I should try reading your post next time ... many apologies. I believe you should be able to do this by editing factions_tables. Then add the new group of names to the loc files. There are a couple other tables that may need to be edited, but I don't have the game on hand atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Methoz View Post
    2 erasmus777 - nooooo i need change character names in campaign... any units...
    but thanks :-)

If is possible make this -

original -> names_name_names_germanXYZ
    my new names -> names_name_names_"Württemberg"XYZ

Methoz's Avatar Senator

no problem,its ok
    i try it...soon... I hope that it'll be work, or somebody will make tutorial...
    TotalWarForum.cz

Methoz's Avatar Senator

still anybody cant help me??
    TotalWarForum.cz

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

I recently came back to modding ETW and NTW.

Just like Macdaddy02 figured out back in 2009, I just recently figured out that I can edit the names, traits, and icons/infos of starting Ministers, Leader and generals via ESF editing the startpos.ESF

First, I had to ditch the latest updated Esf Editor 1.1.1. It doesn't work with ETW/NTW I found out the hard way and confirmed by TWC forum reports. So, back I went to my previously 2009 saved on hard drive Esf Editor (I have no idea what version it is) and this older Esf Editor worked!

Just today I found an older version (which MAY work) I haven't yet tested it. So I'd suggest starting with an older Esf Editor like this one:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...d-Oct-24-2009)

Here I have edited Crimean Khanate ministers and leader for Napoleon Total War with my outdated/previous/older Esf Editor:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Head of Government

Treasury

Justice

Army

Navy

Faction Leader (Monarch/Minister)

Custom Victory Conditions

Custom Major Power & Prestige

Last edited by TuranianGhazi; July 13, 2018 at 01:34 AM.

I added the custom new names to names_name_names_muslim_generalXYZ

Yes, then I had the dastardly idea to create a new custom name group, the Crimean name group. So:

Here's what I tried to make it happen but it always CTDs whenever I add a custom names_group_table.

As soon as I add a new row with id set to "names_crimean" and Description set to "Crimean names", the game ALWAYS crashes, without fail. So I'm stumped myself. Somehow I'm missing another DB table or localisation field where the names IDs get set or the Description. I'm not sure. But I HAVE narrowed down my CTDs to THIS DB table, not the names table. I'll show you why:

Here's my names_table:

Last edited by TuranianGhazi; July 13, 2018 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Adding images

As you can see I've added a new row with "names_crimean,Qirim,forename,m,1,,9999999689"

Strangely enough with that sitting there the game runs fine. So the names_tables DEFINITELY does NOT cause the CTD.

What else DOES cause CTD is setting the names_crimean as the NAMES GROUP in the factions_table like so:

YES CTD galore!

NO CTD

I've also made sure to eliminate the localisation.loc as a possible source error. Here is my Edited TSV then back to IMport TSV into the same UPC_English localisation.loc from the NTF Total Factions mod which I use as the faction unlocker and the only OTHER mod I have running besides my own Crimean Khanate mod, and Alhoon's Ottoman Realism mod (which has no conflicts).

As you can see from that last pic, I've added new custom names, but it HAS to be an EXISTING not a new or CUSTOM name group.

Seems like ETW/NTW hard codes these name groups, or I'm just missing the link between the NAMES_GROUPS_TABLE and whatever other file or DB table I need to edit to comply with it.

That's where I'm at now.

So since when I'm playing as Crimean Khanate, I don't really see what Ottomans are doing, my solution is just to delete the names_muslim_general that don't fit Crimean culture and add new ones that do. So I just swap the UPC_English, ESF, and PACK between my Crimean Khanate, Ottoman, and all other playthroughs, just keeping them separate.

I hope my investigation helps someone out there. So yes you CAN add NEW custom names, but they HAVE to be part of an EXISTING name group. Unless, one of the modding GREATS visits us and offers a solution.
    Note: I'll test whether the new customly added names to an existing names_group require the ID 999.... or not. I'll try deleting that ID and see if it still works, muahaha. Always looking for shortcuts.
    Last edited by TuranianGhazi; July 13, 2018 at 01:36 AM.