Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Great Spirit - Native American Addition Mod UPDATE VERSION 1.2 RELEASED! Empire 1.3 Compatible

Default Re: The Great Spirit - Native American Addition Mod UPDATE VERSION 1.1 RELEASED! 30+ NEW UNITS

Quote Originally Posted by Irmo View Post
    I have seen that as well - it is because the animation at the moment is the same as the musket one. I will change it for next update.

Unfortunately, there isn't a 'bow_axe' animation, only a 'bow_sabre' animation, but it would probably be a good sacrafice - decent reloading arrow animation in excahnge for slightly worse melee animation.
    I agree, that would be better, the axe animation is all that great anyway...

Default Re: The Great Spirit - Native American Addition Mod UPDATE VERSION 1.1 RELEASED! 30+ NEW UNITS

OK, will change that Vonwolfi.

I have a problem were the Braves don't have a description is it just me????

Which faction?

Long or short?

chereoke or whatever there called and what you mean campaign length???

if so long

Description length - is it the one that pops out of the bottom of the unit card, or the one that you right click to get up?

no sorry i mean it has no background when you right click

I mistyped braves in the unit files - will be fixed in next update.

when is the next update??? sorry to be percistant

Ermm... can't be precise - I would prefrably like to finish a unit roster for Cherokee, and skins for all factions. Vonwolfi is doing a brilliant job on skinning, and I think he is close to finishing the 2nd out of 5 factions. I will have finished the Cherokee unit roster by then for sure - so I can't really give you much details. Sorry.

If you want to do this small change yourself - you can open up the_great_spirit.pack with the Pack File Manager (you can find it in the mod workshop), go to units_tables\units, go to the 14th column for the native_american_braves - which should at the moment say 'native_american_brave', and you just have to add an 's' to the end - which should fix it.

It says native_american_braves already for me

Edit:Oops found it sorry
    Last edited by IC3COLDTOUCH; May 18, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

In the fourteenth column? Or just the unit name?

dont worry done it but the first sentence of the description is repeated twice

It may be that the short description text is the first line, and then as I put the first line of the short description text as the first line of the long description text, the first line will be repeated.

can i change this myself or would you have to

Sorry to be sucha stick in the mud, but I have a few pointers that might help you out?

Mohawks, and pretty much all the tribes that fought in the French-Indian war, would go into battle bare chested, with often just a loin cloth. Some did wear fur/skin breeches though, that went midway up their thigh.

The Iroquois peoples were heavily pierced. by this I mean they had many many piercings in their faces and ears.

Also, Mohawks didn't wear feather plumes/head dresses usually (looking at your latest screeny). Instead they did their hair in a particular fashion (exactly like in your signature) as did most of the tribes (each having their own particular style). However, the other tribes of the Iroquois did use feathers in their hair, but it was tied into the knot at the back of their head and not the front, like western plains war chiefs.

Here is a good picture:

Also, the bow had almost entirely died a death in the tribes now, with only the NA's on the western plains still using them during this time period. All of the stone arrow makers had pretty much died, with the young warrior elite preferring the musket or rifle. This was a major downfall for the Tribes as they couldn't produce their own powder, creating a heavy reliance on the English/French traders. Often tribes would sell huge swathes of land for powder (and rum ) when it was a long winter or they had not bought/traded enough food for the winter, or they had traded all their furs for rum (which was most often the case), leaving their tribe short handed.

Iroquois ridin to war on horseback is another no-no, as the land they inhabited an fought in were mainly forrested areas.

A good artist to look up for good and accurate Tribal references is Robert Griffing, some of his works a stunning and highly detailed.
    Last edited by Megalos; May 18, 2009 at 04:52 PM.

No worries Mega, I'm working on a whole new roster; Irmo just put those up as a place-holder for fun, but those were never intended for the Mowhawk.

I'll have to go look it up, but I was under the impression that Mohawks DID wear feathers sometimes, just not always, and not in the abundance of other tribes. Same goes for warpaint. But, I will go take a look at source info again to make sure were on the right path w/ the Mohawks...

In terms of going bare-chested, Yes, I'm well aware of the tendancy, but, it is overdone in literature and modern media interpretations. Often it would be a matter of weather conditions, personal preferences for freedom of movement, etc... Also, as time goes along, less and less appear bare chested as the utilitarian nature of shirts and buckskin covers out-weighs the spiritual advantage of going into battle bare...Also depends on the exact tribe as well.

However, there will be plenty of bare-chested units in the North-east, just maybe not as many as you would expect... Movies and white history books have been lying to you to an extent; GS is covering many tribes, In most depictions and paintings you are seeing action shots on the farthest eastern colonial fronts, or indians 'sitting' for portraits, often in more complex clothes than they would wear on the battlefield.

But yes, accuracies including these 'appearance' factors for the northEAST indians are definetely bieng taken into account on the new skins that I'm working on.
    Think of the ones out now as improvements, but placeholders... The next sets coming will follow historic info as much as possible...
    Last edited by Vonwolfi; May 18, 2009 at 08:23 PM.

Morning guys,

I must say your Native re-skin are so great !
    Carry on the top work buddies
    I am looking forward to see your next releases and moreover what you are gonna do with the Plain Indians
    ;-)
    Barbac

Quote Originally Posted by IC3COLDTOUCH View Post
    can i change this myself or would you have to
    You can do it by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonwolfi View Post
    No worries Mega, I'm working on a whole new roster; Irmo just put those up as a place-holder for fun, but those were never intended for the Mowhawk.

I'll have to go look it up, but I was under the impression that Mohawks DID wear feathers sometimes, just not always, and not in the abundance of other tribes. Same goes for warpaint. But, I will go take a look at source info again to make sure were on the right path w/ the Mohawks...

In terms of going bare-chested, Yes, I'm well aware of the tendancy, but, it is overdone in literature and modern media interpretations. Often it would be a matter of weather conditions, personal preferences for freedom of movement, etc... Also, as time goes along, less and less appear bare chested as the utilitarian nature of shirts and buckskin covers out-weighs the spiritual advantage of going into battle bare...Also depends on the exact tribe as well.

However, there will be plenty of bare-chested units in the North-east, just maybe not as many as you would expect... Movies and white history books have been lying to you to an extent; GS is covering many tribes, In most depictions and paintings you are seeing action shots on the farthest eastern colonial fronts, or indians 'sitting' for portraits, often in more complex clothes than they would wear on the battlefield.

But yes, accuracies including these 'appearance' factors for the northEAST indians are definetely bieng taken into account on the new skins that I'm working on.
    Think of the ones out now as improvements, but placeholders... The next sets coming will follow historic info as much as possible...
    Thanks for answering that Vonwolfi - I don't think I have anything more to add to that apart from on the issue of bows. I will keep bows for the Native Americans, if only for the gameplay element. And also, as there are some quite good muskets available later on, I think the transition will become obvious as you move from bows in the begining, to more muskets and rifles later on. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, definitely keep bows, also there are certain tribes that have larger and stronger bows than others that in some cases live side by side... -more on this later, I'll have to find the references.

Also, some of the plains tribes like the Comanche actually gave rifles a chance, but due to the the utilitarian nature of the bow, and an inability to get as much ammo as the fur trading north-east tribes, they actually decded AGAINST using the rifle in any great number.

And Yes, the northern indians, even after bieng exposed to the rifle, and carrying it as thier primary weapon, many tribes still knew how to use them, and did:

1768-1782] y. Long's Voyages and Travels 89

"The boys are very expert at trundling a hoop, particu- larly the Cahnuaga Indians, whom I have frequently seen excel at this amusement. The game is played by any number of boys who may accidentally assemble together, some driving the hoop, while others with bows and arrows shoot at it. At this exercise they are surprisingly expert, and will stop the progress of the hoop when going with great velocity, by driving the pointed arrow into its edge; this they will do at a considerable distance, and on horseback as well as on foot. They will also kill small birds at fifty yards distance, and strike a halfpenny off a stick at fifteen yards. Spears and tomahawks they manage with equal dexterity."

So Megalos does have a point though, in regards to the Eastern woodland indians, many of them became almost completely reliant on rifles, but those who were more than maurauding fur hunters, or regular living-on the front line-with the colonial wars, would certainly still be using bows, and quite proficient with them as well...
    Last edited by Vonwolfi; May 19, 2009 at 02:56 PM.