Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Spirit - Native American Addition Mod UPDATE VERSION 1.2 RELEASED! Empire 1.3 Compatible

Icon1 The Great Spirit - Native American Addition Mod UPDATE VERSION 1.2 RELEASED! Empire 1.3 Compatible

VERSION 1.2 OUT! 69 NEW UNITS! UNIQUE UNIT ROSTERS! SOME AWESOME SKINS! AND MORE!

DOWNLOAD MIRROR 1
    DOWNLOAD MIRROR 2

DOWNLOAD MIRROR 3
    (provided from post #287)

The Aim

This mod aims to increase the playability of the Native American factions. The Native Americans are completely different from any of
    the other factions, playable or unplayable in the game. They have very little musket units, and rely mostly on archers and melee units. They don't have a lot of sophisticated, well trained units. They are very good for hiding and skirmishing. In this mod, I want to build on that, creating a much better gaming experience for anyone like me who wants to play as a Native American faction. At the moment, I have only added a few more units, but eventually, I want to add more unique buildings and technologies to bring the Native American gaming experience up to scratch with the European and Indian ones.

What I have done so far:

• Made the Native American factions playable in campaign and custom battle, added victory conditions for all five, and descriptions for Iroquois and Cherokee.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• Added 5 new units for the Native Americans.

Beserkers

Native American Braves

Elite Archers

Hunters

Mounted Archers

• You can now recruit units (albeit only 3) in Europe and India, if you want to make colonies .
    • About 25 new quotes, to teach you the wisdom of the Native Americans.

Updates

• Musket wielding Native Americans no longer available for early custom battle (1.01)
    • You couldn't recruit Native American Braves (fixed - 1.01)
    • Bug fixed where trying to dismount units caused game to CTD (1.11)

1.1 LARGE UPDATE!

• 30+ new units! (1.1)
    • Unique unit roster for all Iroquois, Huron, Plains, Pueblo - will do Cherokee and Inuit for next update (1.1)
    • New historical names for Pueblo (Comanche), Huron (Council of Three Fires), Inuit (Montaignas) and Plains (Lakota) (1.1)
    • New flags for Cherokee and Comanche (1.1)
    • 5 new loading screens (1.1)
    • Have unlocked Powhatan Confederacy for custom battles (1.1)
    • An Area of Recruitment system for elite units! (1.1)
    • And more! (I have just forgotten what...) (1.1)

Will do some screenshots later, possibly tommorow. If anyone wants to post their's, I will put it on this post

• Have attached a file with what the unit roster is ery likely to look like for the next update, if anyone wants to check it out .

1.2!

• 69 new units (39 new from last patch)
    • Even more unique, historical accurate, unit rosters.
    • Fixed FOW bug.
    • Loads of skins done by Vonwolfi!
    • Compatible with 1.3

Iroquois:

Braves:

Archers (some other units will have this skin as well):

Mounted Musketeers + Warriors (same model) (model used for various units):

Medicine Men:

Mohawk Warriors (model used for all Mohawk units) (this will be updated - Vonwolfi is doing a different, more accurate, Mohawk skin):

Iroquois Elites:

Iroquois Chief:

Instalation Instructions
    Extract 'the_great_spirit.pack' and 'tgs_localisation.pack' to your C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data folder and the 'startpos.esf' to your C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data\campaigns\main folder (you may want to back up your current startpos.esf). Open this up with the mod manager, and enjoy .

Known Problems
    -I'm sure you all know about that annoying fog of war issue by now. If you are playing as a faction not originally included in the Grand Campaign, you won't be able to see any of your cities/soldiers or anythingg. Eventually after you capture a few cities this goes away, but at the begining, just use your lists scroll and building browser to navigate (also, after selecting an army, moing it will take away some of the FOW). I have also heard that saving and loading also fixes it sometimes, even though this has never actually worked for me. FIXED in 1.2!

Solution
    There is now a scripting.lua attached to the bottom (No FOW.zip). Downloading this and extracting it to your campaigns\main will take away all fog of war. If you find this prefrable to navigating with your list scrolls (I sure do), then download this!

Better Solution (Proper Fix)
    There will be a proper fix for this next update, where the FOW will work perfectly - thank you very much erasmus!

Here is how it looks like for Pueblo:

Compatibility with Darth Mod
    The TGS Darthmod Addon.zip (attached at the bottom) will make The Great Spirit mod compatible with Darth mod unit sizes. Just make sure to load it after you load your The Great Spirit mod and Darth Mod.

Spoiler for Load Order

The Team
    -Irmo : Mod Leader
    -
    Megas Methuselah : Descriptions\Research
    -KASCII : Skinner/2D Artist
    -Demokritos : Research
    -Vonwolfi : Skinner
    -Aloicias : Research

Credits
    -LtChambers for his brilliant Pack File Manager and Mod Manager
    -just for his brilliant esf editor
    -koras321 for his addition to the esf editor
    -Power Wizard, MrThib, The Phenom, GeorgiaPeanuts, waronmars, erasmus777 (and more) for their brilliant tutorials.
    -erasmus777 for figuring out how to get rid of the FOW bug

Request for help: I am not a very good skinner/artist and all that, so if anyone is interested in this mod, and wouldn't mind doing the occasional skinning work when I ask them to, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Secondly, if people see the quotes come up, could you please post a screenshot, because I want to see how they are working (I have only ever seen one come up once, but there was a small glitch which I think I fixed, so I want to see how it works now.
    Finally, I would really want to hear all of your feedback and suggestions!

If you want to support this mod in your sig, here is the official sig (until someone makes a better one )

Thank you and enjoy!

Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; October 07, 2023 at 07:48 PM. Reason: edited op to include known operable link, message me if down again

Default Re: The Great Spirit - Native American Addition Mod

Are the native american factions in custom battles, also? If not, could you add them? And, the natives differnt from each other? Or are they all the same?

Nice work!

Yes, sorry, forgot to add that : they are all in custom battles

And yes, they are all the same.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Cool mod

Could you make it so that each indian faciton is differnt, and don't have the same units with differnt colors? Like, maybe some indians have more guns than others, or some have more cav, etc. Also, in custom battle early period, the natives could have more bows and arrows than guns and art, but in late, become a bit more modern (some guns, art).

Just suggestions.

I'm happy to people are starting to give some attention to modding the Native American units.

One question. Considering the Natives had their own unique clothing, and battledress, head dress, hair, warpaint, from one warrior to the next, will it be possible for modders to vary the textures from one man to the next(who are in the same unit) like CA did with Medieval 2? The same with Horses and different warpaint textures within the same unit. So the entire unit isnt a bunch of clones?

If not, that's about item number 1000 that was a great aspect of past total war games, that was again left out of Empire.
    Last edited by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus; May 03, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediDoom View Post
    Could you make it so that each indian faciton is differnt, and don't have the same units with differnt colors? Like, maybe some indians have more guns than others, or some have more cav, etc. Also, in custom battle early period, the natives could have more bows and arrows than guns and art, but in late, become a bit more modern (some guns, art).

Just suggestions.
    I will do that eventually, at least for the Cherokee and the Iroquois (who are slightly more major and in the middle). As for the custom battles, I don't know why I didn't do that. I will fix this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus
    I'm happy to people are starting to give some attention to modding the Native American units.

One question. Considering the Natives had their own unique clothing, and battledress, head dress, hair, warpaint, from one warrior to the next, will it be possible for modders to vary the textures from one man to the next(who are in the same unit) like CA did with Medieval 2? The same with Horses and different warpaint textures within the same unit. So the entire unit isnt a bunch of clones?

If not, that's about item number 1000 that was a great aspect of past total war games, that was again left out of Empire.
    No, unfortunately not. There can be a ery slight variation, but only as much as about 2 different options for clothing, and four for faces.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

The Plains tribes should have great cavalry but weak infantry. Iroquois have more money and have cannons, Cherokee should have strong musket units and riflemen units. The Huron should have strong foot troops while the Pueblo, don't know about them...
    Also, Iroquois and Cherokee descriptions won't come up.

Odd, it should come up. I can't really give you any advice beyond make sure you have put the localisation.loc into your data folder, because it should work (and it works for me).

Thank you very much for the information about the specific tribes. I think that I will let all fie get the units there are at the moment, but I will add more unique units for the next version.

+Rep! I was waiting for a mod like this to come out. Great job!

+rep for your efforts. This is great.

Do you plan on altering the infantry formations to make them less "organized." It always bothers me when I see a row of natives lined up in three perfect ranks. I think they should stand staggered apart. Sort of like the light infantry behavior formation but even more random. Not sure if that is possible within ETW editable files but it would really add to the authenticity.

Why aren't the Inuit Nations available in the Grand Campaign and Custom Battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
    +rep for your efforts. This is great.

Do you plan on altering the infantry formations to make them less "organized." It always bothers me when I see a row of natives lined up in three perfect ranks. I think they should stand staggered apart. Sort of like the light infantry behavior formation but even more random. Not sure if that is possible within ETW editable files but it would really add to the authenticity.
    I have made them twice as spread out as they are in vanilla. As far as I know, there isn't a way to make them completely staggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Taizu
    Why aren't the Inuit Nations available in the Grand Campaign and Custom Battles?
    The Inuits are very minor - they don't even start off with an army, and as far as I know, historically, they never clashed with any of the European colonists (while I think the other Native American tribes did), so I didn't include them. I also though not many people would want to play them, but maybe I was wrong. I will start working on the next update during the week (but I don't have much time), and will try uploading a Version 1.1 with more unique units and the Inuits playable by next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Irmo View Post
    I have made them twice as spread out as they are in vanilla. As far as I know, there isn't a way to make them completely staggered.

Darth's figured out a way to have light infantry staggered by default(not by using light infantry tactics). Perhaps you could pm him and inquire.

Icon1 Re: The Great Spirit - Native American Addition Mod

I'm liking what I'm seeing here. The Native Americans in this game are vastly under-represented and show a pitiful lack of research on the part of CA.

But whatever. Comments:

-Great Job thus far! New units, amazing! I especially like the horse archers and have been wondering why they were absent in vanilla

-I have lots of suggestions on many, many new native american factions and regions

-suggestions on unit naming also (berserkers and elite bowmen are somewhat strange names, no offence intended)

The current tribes themselves are very, very inaccurate in naming and geography. I'd very much like to help out with your mod, if you'll have me.

EDIT: also, don't forget about riflemen. The natives were quick to take advantage of this weapon, just as quickly as they had taken advantage of the musket.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; May 04, 2009 at 01:20 AM.

SCGavin's Avatar Libertus

Nice mod. The Native Americans in vanilla ETW are a joke... +Rep

Thanks for the positive feedback, and don't worry, I know the names are a bit stupid, but I'm very bad at thinking up good names. Have sent you a PM Megas.

Anyone seen any quotes?

Awesome concept! Looking forward to the mod.

Question for you Irmo,

Does this mod apply to AI native factions when playing the grand campaign? In other words, if I play GC as the 13 colonies or British and engage in a tactical battle with one of the native factions will I see your changes in their unit types, formations and AI?

Yes - you should see the more spread out units, but I can't guarantee that you will see them build the new units - I don't have a clue how to AI decides what units to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus
    Darth's figured out a way to have light infantry staggered by default(not by using light infantry tactics). Perhaps you could pm him and inquire.
    There is a file in his mod called groupformations.bin. Not having a clue what a bin file is, or how I would go about editing it, I'm kinda stuck. If anyone does know/can edit bin files/knows how I can edit bin files, that would be very helpful.
    Last edited by Irmo; May 04, 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast