Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 2 - Part A: creating an avatar

Default Re: Lesson 2 - Part A: creating an avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClimhazarD View Post
    So I managed to get the layer toolbar and all that back, but when opening a new image to work on it has no layers... I can create a layer for it but it only applies to the image and doesn't show up on the layers toolbar... Any idea whats going on?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it had no effect, same problems in the new install..
    Well, if you open an image there should be a single layer in your layer menu, the "background" layer as PubliusKhannus pointed out already. If you create a new layer (via Layers -> New layer or by opening another image via File -> Open as a layer) it should appear in your layer menu as well, on top of the existing "background" layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by PubliusKhannus View Post
    Well images dont show up with layers, merely the background layer, you create the layers to WORK on the image as you go, that said when ever i reopen a saved project, all of my layers in gimp are folded into one, which makes it nigh impossible to modify text. Please correct me if i am wrong astaroth
    If you want to save an image but don't want its layers to be merged, you have to save it as an .xcf file (see lesson 1). The layers will remain the way they are and you can continue where you stopped last time. However, .xcf files cannot be uploaded so once you are finished, merge the layers and save it as a .png file.

Good job, Imperator-Rex although with a rather small avatar like that I personally would go for a thinner border.

And again here is Bach

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

nice
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Ok so I managed to get layers back but the first layer when opening a new image is set to being the background. How can I change this? Because when I create the background layer to use the grow function it is selecting the entire canvas and not the outline of the image.

PubliusKhannus's Avatar Senator

Thanks a lot Astaroth, that will help me a lot in the future.

Check out my collection of poetry, prose, & comedy @ https://badwriter.net

Ok so I managed to get layers back but the first layer when opening a new image is set to being the background. How can I change this? Because when I create the background layer to use the grow function it is selecting the entire canvas and not the outline of the image.
    Yea , i had this too .. try the following :

Press CTRL+L to open layer panel .. you'll see one layer called 'Background' . now make a new layer , that's fully transparent . After you did that , right click on the background layer , and press 'Alpha to selection' . make sure that the background in your 'Background layer' is transparent ! Now , after you pressed the 'Alpha to Selection' button , left-click on your new layer (so the fully transparent one) . Now , go to 'Edit' -> 'Selection' -> 'Grow' , or something like that .. then grow by 2 or 3 , and follow steps of the guide Make sure you are busy on your new layer though , so that your image doesn't become black

Quote Originally Posted by PubliusKhannus View Post
    Thanks a lot Astaroth, that will help me a lot in the future.
    You're welcome.
    KingTheoden1 explained it very well. You're supposed to select the background layer, then press "choose from alpha". Afterwards, create a new transparent layer behind the background layer, select it and choose "Grow" afterwards. As KingTheoden pointed out already, you're supposed to work with the new layer, not the background one. I hope that helps.

Templar Hospitaller's Avatar Miles

Another Witchking photo. YAH!
    Patton Jr. - "Rommel... you magnificent bastard, *I read your book*!"
    Patton Jr. - "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    You're supposed to select the background layer, then press "choose from alpha".
    I've been using "Alpha to selection." These are the same right?

Quote Originally Posted by KingTheoden1 View Post
    Yea , i had this too .. try the following :

Press CTRL+L to open layer panel .. you'll see one layer called 'Background' . now make a new layer , that's fully transparent . After you did that , right click on the background layer , and press 'Alpha to selection' . make sure that the background in your 'Background layer' is transparent ! Now , after you pressed the 'Alpha to Selection' button , left-click on your new layer (so the fully transparent one) . Now , go to 'Edit' -> 'Selection' -> 'Grow' , or something like that .. then grow by 2 or 3 , and follow steps of the guide Make sure you are busy on your new layer though , so that your image doesn't become black
    Thank you very much for your help I managed to select the outline but have run into a few more issues. When selecting outline and applying the fill colour do I just click on the image itself, clicking anywhere else does nothing. Also when applying blur and the fill and then turning the opacity down, it appears the entire image has been blurred and is darker due to the black fill, not the outline..

With step 3, after merging the old background layer with the image I create a new layer, set it to transparent but when I use the gradient tool the gradient background obscures my image.. how do I make the image of I worked on appear as a foreground in front of the gradient background??

EDIT:
    That's what I've been using aswell as I don't have a choose from alpha option.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandinavisksoldat View Post
    That's what I meant, yeah. My bad.
    Thank you very much for your help I managed to select the outline but have run into a few more issues. When selecting outline and applying the fill colour do I just click on the image itself, clicking anywhere else does nothing. Also when applying blur and the fill and then turning the opacity down, it appears the entire image has been blurred and is darker due to the black fill, not the outline..

With step 3, after merging the old background layer with the image I create a new layer, set it to transparent but when I use the gradient tool the gradient background obscures my image.. how do I make the image of I worked on appear as a foreground in front of the gradient background??

EDIT:
    That's what I've been using aswell as I don't have a choose from alpha option.
    You have to put the second layer behind the avatar's layer. Simply left click on it and move it down with your mouse. Afterwards, select your avatar's layer again, choose "Alpha to selection" and go back to your transparent layer. Then apply "Grow" and continue as described in the lesson. If it still isn't working, simply post screenshots of what you have been doing and I'll see what I can do.

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

Sorry for the late reaction. I had some personal things. I hope I can make lesson 2b in time. Here is 2a http://www.twcenter.net/forums/album...ictureid=16236

Here is the list of everyone who has completed this lesson (part A) so far:

In case I have forgotten you, don't be afraid to tell me.

The lesson has now been open for 8 days and it will end soon. However, apparently some of you are still interested in finishing it so I'll leave it open for a bit longer. ClimhazarD, if you still have any problems, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out.
    Last edited by Astaroth; May 09, 2009 at 03:12 PM.

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

My one was a disaster!

Before applying the border effect, you have to bring the avatar's layer to a size of 100x100 pixels and then go to Image -> Fit Canvas to Layers.

I'll give it another go Astaroth, but I'm really struggling.

Damn I'm bloody useless. My second attempt:

Last edited by Atatürk; May 15, 2009 at 08:14 AM.

Yes, I finally managed to do it, thanks Astaroth!

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Good work!
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Yeah!
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz