Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spraetter's Guide to Sweden

Default Re: Spraetter's Guide to Sweden

No war with Poland. They didnt follow Courland into battle. I know conquered Copenhagen and will be able to get some more troops.

lol I dont even bother looking at my ministers, all I do is focus on economy buildings, fast research and battle strategies. I'm currently playing swedes on hardest difficulty, and I'm happy to see the game being as realistic as to make them worse than anything else in combat. Their line infantry is DEFINITELY the worst in the game, I've tried all nations already and each of the other ones has more morale, accuracy or melee. The only good thing about them is.... uhh... I don't know... maybe that they're challenging...

Anyway what I did as to conquering: first I let russia take ingria and courland take estonia, then I took danmark and norwaz and sent an army against the russians who were coming for finland, then I started taking over the russian territories, tatariya, bashkiria, karelia, arkhangelsk, komi, dagestan. The courlanders took ingria and moscow, and poland-lithuania took the rest. After that I attacked hannover and conquered it. And now, I'm more powerful than any other nation already and have only one war ongoing with courland, which only has moscow left. So if you want a bit more challenge than what this guide offers, try that

When i was sweden i waited untill denmark declared war on me. In the that time i was building soliders 'en masse'. Soi split my troops in 1/2 one group went and attacked denmark the other east to Russia. Both countires were very ill prepared for such an assault and with my advanced military research Russia was a walk in the park

Just wanted to say that this is a brilliant guide (+rep)

Its very comprehensive and goes into a lot of detail

Recently ive found that Sweeden is the most enjoyable nation for me to play, i have great fun with them

I also seem to go about the first few turns with Sweeden in the same way that you do, though i did pick up a pointer here or there throughout the guide, but most of all it was an enjoyable read
    "After that business with hydrophobic invasion forces in Empire: Total War, it's impossible to sit down to review a new Creative Assembly creation without anxiety. Will I miss some grievous bug and end up looking like an arse? Should I sprinkle my paragraphs with verbal get-out clauses like 'appears to', 'from what I saw' and 'on the whole'? Am I destined to be remembered as the critic that failed to notice that all the horses in Shogun 2 only have three legs? It can reach the point where you wonder if you'd be better off phoning-in sick and letting the poisoned chalice pass to another poor blighter."

Ok! I've just had a first attempt at Sweden and basically screwed up big time. So, I thought I'd look for a guide and found this one. I can see where I went wrong now. +Rep

Time to press restart and try again, me thinks.
    ++++

Right, I'm up to turn 5 now and everything is going according to plan. Norway and Courland are in Swedish hands, although I found the turn 3 timeline for this impossible to achieve, my Army of the West simply could not reach the Norwegian capital in time. So it happened in Turn 4.

I digressed slightly from the script in that I built myself an extra 6th rate to help deal with the Danish fleet, and boy did I need it. The naval battle off Copenhagen was epic, and literally went to the wire with only the two 5th Rates left in the fight and I had to resort to the alternate broadside technique to batter the Danish frigate into submission. One Danish Frigate 'Kiel' caught fire no less than four times during the battle and managed to put the fire out and keep fighting, whilst one of my own frigates caught fire and blew up nearly taking the other one that was alongside at the time with it. The good news is that the Danish 5th Rate struck its colours and is now a part of the Swedish fleet, so I am now a lot more powerful in the Baltic Sea.

Looks like there might be further delay in the time schedule now I've discovered that the Danish Army in Norway is still a 'force in being' and has dug itself in to guard the Norwegian fishing port, hence perventing me converting it to a trading port. So, my Army of the West will have to do a bit more marching to eliminate them before heading back to deal with Copenhagen.

This guide is obviously a bit out of date also, as the rushing of Trade Ships to Madagascar is no longer a viable option since the pirates began attacking ships on trade theatre posts. However, I am building them anyway just not sending them until I'm sure that someone has dealt with the pirate threat.
    Last edited by Didz; July 08, 2009 at 04:11 AM.

Hm well i need some help/advice

I started another campaign as Sweeden (cant get enough of the Swedish campaign atm )
    Ive wiped out denmark and the pirataes and got my first foot hold in indai
    Ive also taken Karelia and Moscow from Russia. I dont really want to go any further into Russia (for similar reasons stated in the guide) but i cant for the life of me get a peace treaty with Russia

I dont really want to be forced into wiping them from Europe, but if i cant stop them from constantly raiding my regions what else can i do?
    Any suggestions on how to score a nice peace treaty with Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post

This guide is obviously a bit out of date also, as the rushing of Trade Ships to Madagascar is no longer a viable option since the pirates began attacking ships on trade theatre posts. However, I am building them anyway just not sending them until I'm sure that someone has dealt with the pirate threat.
    Ive found that the pirates will leave their ships sitting in a couple of the theartes all the time, leaving at least 1 trade theatre free of pirates
    so its still worth sending trade fleets up, finding which theatre(s) dont have pirates in and then occupy some trade zones
    "After that business with hydrophobic invasion forces in Empire: Total War, it's impossible to sit down to review a new Creative Assembly creation without anxiety. Will I miss some grievous bug and end up looking like an arse? Should I sprinkle my paragraphs with verbal get-out clauses like 'appears to', 'from what I saw' and 'on the whole'? Am I destined to be remembered as the critic that failed to notice that all the horses in Shogun 2 only have three legs? It can reach the point where you wonder if you'd be better off phoning-in sick and letting the poisoned chalice pass to another poor blighter."

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

Well, did you take Moscow? Once I took Moscow getting peace was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by uzi716 View Post
    Well, did you take Moscow? Once I took Moscow getting peace was easy.
    yer i have Moscow and one other region of theres
    I cant get peace at all..

maybe i should take another region and try again?

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

Try taking Ukraine and Crimea also, it is like a deathblow, because they are completely landlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Joe View Post
    yer i have Moscow and one other region of theres
    I cant get peace at all..
    Same here, it seems peace isn't an option after the more recent patches.

In my game, Denmark only has Iceland left and will not accept peace, and Moscow is mine but Russia refuses to accept defeat and just keeps sending one unit armies to their deaths.

Also, despite the high level justice minister recommended in the guide I am getting constant rebellions, so something has clearly been done to make life harder for the player. (Normal Campaign Difficulty BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by uzi716 View Post
    Try taking Ukraine and Crimea also, it is like a deathblow, because they are completely landlocked
    thanks i'll try that next time im playing

i'll tell you how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Joe View Post
    Hm well i need some help/advice

I started another campaign as Sweeden (cant get enough of the Swedish campaign atm )
    Ive wiped out denmark and the pirataes and got my first foot hold in indai
    Ive also taken Karelia and Moscow from Russia. I dont really want to go any further into Russia (for similar reasons stated in the guide) but i cant for the life of me get a peace treaty with Russia

I dont really want to be forced into wiping them from Europe, but if i cant stop them from constantly raiding my regions what else can i do?
    Any suggestions on how to score a nice peace treaty with Russia?

Ive found that the pirates will leave their ships sitting in a couple of the theartes all the time, leaving at least 1 trade theatre free of pirates
    so its still worth sending trade fleets up, finding which theatre(s) dont have pirates in and then occupy some trade zones
    I finished a Swedish campaign just recently and just like you, I had taken the Karelia and Moscow region and was looking for a peace deal with Russia so I could concentrate on Prussia and Poland whom started to become a major pain. What I ended up doing was taking the Ukraine region, pacified the population and gave it back to Russia in a peace deal It took the Russians about 15 tuns or so before they declared war on me again but by that time I had dealt with both Prussia and Poland and was welcoming a chance to push further east.

I just can't get any peace in my Swedish Campaign.

Denmark: Only had Iceland left, but wouldn't accept peace. So, I built a fleet of transports dragged an army over there landed and captured their port. Still no interest in peace. Beseiged their last capital, still not interest in peace, Faction destroyed.

Prussia: Captured Brandenburg, all I needed. Not interested in peace. Captured Silesia, nope not interested in peace. Captured East Prussia, nope not interested in peace. They now have one province left and no army, do they want peace? NOPE!

Russia: Captured Moscow, all I needed form them. Not interested in peace. Captured Karelia, not interested in peace. Captured Belarus, not interested in peace. They send a army over to try to recapture Belarus consisting of their best units (3 units of Foot Guards the works) they besiege Belarus. I send two armies to relieve the city. Their guards are massacred, their cossacks destroyed, their main army is completely destroyed. Do they want peace? Nope!

Poland: Captured Courland, all I needed. Not interested in peace. Captured Poland not interested in peace, but decide to declare war on Russia just to make things more interesting.

Actually I've just realised what this reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690
    Last edited by Didz; July 13, 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Actually I've just realised what this reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690
    Lol
    Sad. But from what i've seen so far of the AI it appears to be true.

Denmark: Only had Iceland left, but wouldn't accept peace. So, I built a fleet of transports dragged an army over there landed and captured their port. Still no interest in peace. Beseiged their last capital, still not interest in peace, Faction destroyed.

Prussia: Captured Brandenburg, all I needed. Not interested in peace. Captured Silesia, nope not interested in peace. Captured East Prussia, nope not interested in peace. They now have one province left and no army, do they want peace? NOPE!

Russia: Captured Moscow, all I needed form them. Not interested in peace. Captured Karelia, not interested in peace. Captured Belarus, not interested in peace. They send a army over to try to recapture Belarus consisting of their best units (3 units of Foot Guards the works) they besiege Belarus. I send two armies to relieve the city. Their guards are massacred, their cossacks destroyed, their main army is completely destroyed. Do they want peace? Nope!

Poland: Captured Courland, all I needed. Not interested in peace. Captured Poland not interested in peace, but decide to declare war on Russia just to make things more interesting.

Did you try to offer them something, like a province? That seems to work with Russia or at least it did for me on more than one occasion. I havent had the same luck with other nations though, heh

Quote Originally Posted by narva View Post
    Did you try to offer them something, like a province? That seems to work with Russia or at least it did for me on more than one occasion. I havent had the same luck with other nations though, heh
    No! They were on the ropes, there shorts were round their knee's, and their balls were in the jaws of a giant nutcracker. It was time to give up and ask for mercy, I didn't consider it necessary to offer them further inducement.

Blackshamrock.'s Avatar Campidoctor

In regard to trade ports. Playing as Sweden. I have a 4 trade ports. I'll up load a pic to show ye the next time on line. What I wanted to do was destroy the Naval port at Ingra and and build a trade port in its steed what do ye think?.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackshamrock. View Post
    In regard to trade ports. Playing as Sweden. I have a 4 trade ports. I'll up load a pic to show ye the next time on line. What I wanted to do was destroy the Naval port at Ingra and and build a trade port in its steed what do ye think?.
    I wouldn't. I love that naval port because it is so well sheltered. You'll always have a place to build ships and it is only one turn to move them to Scandinavia.

Exelent guide

Sirs,

Feel free to attack me if I'm wrong but I have just started a Swedish campaign & would I be right in saying that it is one of the easiest powers to play in Empire?

I have taken Denmark & Norway so far & seem to have a nice & cosy set up in Sweden...I may just wait there a little & let the other nations develop as more of a challenge. I'll just stay here in the sauna with my blonde playmates & Abba for the sounds?

Henri
    Kardinal of the Khurch of Kong
    Author of the Official Zombie Handbook - due out in mid-2010
    http://www.ministryofzombies.com/
    http://severedpress.lefora.com/forum...s-and-authors/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast