Author : Cemendur Telcontar
Original Thread : [FATW AAR] Light of the West
Light of The West
Light of the West
Part II
A Changing World

The World has changed. The past Four Ages of the Sun have brought great turmoil to the Free People of Middle-earth. Now, the elves, fairest of all beings, the first children of Iluvatar, have left, and gone into the West, into the Blessed Realm of Aman. The Dwarves, Durin's folk, they now solidify their holds in the mountains, taking little notice of the world around them. Now men control the world in the Fourth Age of the Sun, a supposed time of peace. But men soon grow bored with peace. Now Darkness stirs in the East, corrupting noble Dunedain, ressurecting the Shadow of old that plauged the ages past. A new kingdom of men has arisen, Andunbar, under the control of the Shadow Cult, allowing the evil their forebears destroyed to arise again. Evil men marshall their forces, preparing to strike the final kingdoms of Light, to achieve the dream of destroying them forever, to vanquish the Light of the West. But not all men's hearts are evil. The men of the Reunited Kingdom, true ancestors of the noble Dunedain of old, stand defiant against the revolt of Andunbar and the armies of the Empire of Harad and Rhun. But these times are dark, the alliance between Rohan and the Reunited Kingdom begins to fray. During these dark times, hope is the best defence against the oncoming darkness. Hope that the darkness will fade, that the Light will break through, and a new age will dawn, an age of Light. Now the actions of the King of the Reunited Kingdom, Cemendur the Elf-Friend, will decide the fate of the world. Will he triumph? Or will darkness finally consume the world?

It is now the Year 240 of the Fourth Age. King Cemendur of the Reunited Kingdom has pushed the forces of Andunbar out of Ithilien and taken the capital of Minas Ithil. To the north a revolt in Dagorlad has wrested the land from Andunbar. However, the people there have set up their own government, and refuse to treat with the Reunited Kingdom and Andunbar. Two years ago, Anorien was captured by a young captain named Faramir of the House of Hurin, the House of the Stewards, restablishing a connection to Rohan. The Prince of Dol Amroth marches his forces from Anfalas to the peninsula of Andrast, a Harad outpost on the lands of the Reunited Kingdom. To the south, a great Harad army ravages the Southern coast of Belfalas, aiming to take the important and strategic city of Pelargir. Atanamir, Lord of Pelargir and heir to the throne, commands the city, and has very little troops. 100 reinforcements from Lossarnach arrived in the city to defend it, and several troops from Minas Tirith arrived also. But the forces of Harad still outnumber them, and they continue to march towards Pelargir, camping at the Crossings of Pelargir. No more reinforcements will arrive to help Atanamir, and must make the decision to stand and fight, or to take the fight to the Harad army. The fate of the Reunited Kingdom depends on his decision.

Part II

Chapter 1: The Crossings of Pelargir

The waters of the river gently lapped against the shore. The sound of the calm waves was meshed with the calls of the gulls, who often flew around the shore during the day. The shore was white sand, that glistened in the midday sun. After the shore, the rolling green plains of Belfalas strectched onward, to the feet of the White Mountains in the distance. A river cut across these plains, the River Sirith. "Such a beautiful landscape." spoke Atanamir. Beyond that river he could barely make out the banners of Harad, and the movements of troops beyond. This army has been sacking the coastal towns, with little to no troops in the surrounding areas to defend them. There should be more troops, Antanamir thought to himself as he looked out over the walls to the enemy army in the distance. He walked over to his lieutenant, Brethil. "How do the troops fare?" "Well trained," Brethil responded. "How many? And any word on more troops to come and help us?" "Our men number less than 800 strong, equipped with the finest weapons Pelargir has to offer. Except our reinforcements from Minas Tirith. They are equipped with the finest weapons from the great forges of Minas Tirith." Brethil said with a smile. Antanamir did not smile back. "And how many of the enemy?" Brethil's smile faded. "Our scouts report they number over 3500 men." "Are any more reinforcements coming?" Antanamir asked. Brethil sighed, "There have been no reports of movements of our troops from any other city. I'm afraid we're on our own." Antanamir nodded sadly, "Just as I thought. What are we to do?" "Well my lord we have two choices. One, is to let them besiege us, and break upon our walls like water on a rock. Or, we can take our troops and attack them where they are encamped. I personally think that we should take the fight to them." Antanamir looked at Brethil. "They are encamped directly behind the bridge. If we attack them there, they will pin us down and crush us. They could see us moving for miles." Just then a messenger ran up to Antanamir. "My lord, captain Ciryaher has defeated the Umbar fleet. The enemy fleet is moored off one of the islands of the mouth of Anduin. Ciryaher is going to split his forces to completely surround the Umbar fleet and destroy them. With the enemy fleet destroyed the army of Harad will have nowhere to go. Ciryaher bids you to attack the enemy now and crush them at the crossings." This was enough to convince Antanamir. "Tell Ciryaher that we will attack the enemy. Brethil, move the troops out!"

The enemy general, Nabulung, was in his tent, thinking up plans for the siege of Pelargir he sought to begin the next day. Nabulung was one of the finest generals ever to come from Harad. He was 52, with grey hair that contrasted with his swarthy skin. He was not of the Royal House, but he was of the noble House of the Red Spear, a house famed for its excellent warriors and generals. Nabulung was an heir to this tradition. His military career started at the age of 16, when he fought in the Battle of Western Khan against the Vairags. The army of Harad was heavily pressed, and the Harad general lay dead on the field. Nabulung then took control, rallying the men and leading a succesful attack on the flanks of the Vairag infantry and crushing their calvalry. From that day on he was recognized as an excellent general and leader, an inspiration to his troops. He had won many victories in the east for the Empire of Harad, however he longed to enact vengence upon the Reunited Kingdom, the former Kingdom of Gondor, which humiliated Harad many times on the battlefield and sacked many Harad cities. Now the Reunited Kingdom was weak, and the Emperor sought to mount a huge invasion against Gondor, which Nabulung gladly agreed to lead. The plan was to take Lebennin, cutting the Kingdom in half. Then another force would march north and take Ithilien, while Nabulung led his forces to Minas Tirith and sacked the city, vengence agaist the Men of the West for killing so many people of Harad. Then he would march east and take the city of Minas Ithil and return it and Minas Tirith to the great allies of Harad, the Kingdom of Andunbar. Andunbar was a kingdom that revolted from the Reunited Kingdom, on the basis that Andunbar worshipped the Shadow Cult, which was incredibly strong in Umbar and amongst the Royal House. Nabulung did not know much about it, except that it centered around the worship of Sauron and Morgoth, the great Dark lords of Ages past. Nabulung did not think much about: any enemy of the Men of the West was a friend of his. Nabulung finished his besiegement plans, and resolved to take a walk by the bridge to examine the city again. Suddenly a sound reverberated through the Harad Camp. The horns of the Reunited Kingdom sounded, challenging Harad to battle.

Antanamir had ordered a rush attack across the bridge, led by the Lossarnach axemen, his strongest troops. While they held the enemy at bay, Antanamir would cross the river at the shallows to the left of his position and flank the enemy. He prayed to the Valar this plan would work, and would not be a massacre. The axemen charged headlong into the Harad line, knocking back the soldiers of the serpent. The Gondorian swordsmen and a unit of militia flanked to the left, seeking to separate the main force from the units the axemen were fighing. Another unit of militia was sent to deal with the corsairs unit on the right, while the archers opened fire at the weak and armorless plainsmen skirmishers. Antanamir saw the Serpent Black, the famed calvalry unit of Harad, separated from the main body of troops. Antanamir charged straight into the guard, which Nabulung was personally leading. Antanamir's bodyguard cut easily through the Serpent Black. Nabulung was looking around the battlefield, dismayed at the onset of the Reunited Kingdom's forces and their valor, when he was struck in the arm and awoken back into the reality of battle. He cut down three bodyguards, and sought to kill Antanamir, hopefully breaking the morale of the enemy army. Antanamir reached Nabulung first, and the two engaged in firece sword combat, the scimitar of Nabulung against the longsword of Antanamir. The two swords became locked together, and Antanamir, with a swift downward movement, released the swords and cut the stomach of Nabulung in the process. Nabulung's sword fell the the ground, and in the next moment his head was beside it. So fell the greatest general Harad had seen that age. Meanwhile the militia sent to counter the main Harad force was under heavy attack by the Crimson riders, some of Harad's finest Calvalry. Antanamir rallied his guard with a yell, and charged into the rear of the enemy calvalry. Suddenly units of Haradrim began to rout, and the infantry kept pushing them back. Soon the entire Haradrim force routed, and fled the field, only to be cut down by the swords of the calvalry and infantry of the Reunited Kingdom.

The remaining troops feld to their corsair ships, and the ships began to sail away. Suddenly the corsair ships were surrounded by the navies of the Reunited Kingdom, and every single corsair ship, along with the remainder of Nabulung's grand army, was sent to the bottom of the Mouths of the Anduin. Antanamir won a great victory that day, and had driven Harad back to their lands, showing that the Reunited Kingdom was still powerful. But beyond the river Poros, the armies of Harad were mobilizing, preparing to launch another blow at the Reunited Kingdom.

Chapter 2: A Moment of Peace

A year, well, almost a year, since the taking of Minas Ithil and the death of Amandil. It was now yávië, autumn in the common tounge, and the change in seasons was clearly visible. The increased chill in the air, the changing leaves, all signs of autumn. In the Ithil vale it could not be seen well, since it was part of the mountains, still blacker than night. The contrast between the black mountains and the pale moonlight white color of Minas Ithil gave the impression that it was a reflection of the night. But beyond the Ithil vale the great river Anduin could be seen, and the changing landscape was clearly visible. It was evening now, and Cemendur looked out from the Tower of the Moon, observing his people in the streets below. A peaceful day, thought Cemendur. He walked over the the throne of the Tower of the Moon and sat in it. After two years of constant campaigning and battles, his men had peace. While there were matters of state to attend to, such as economic management, for the most part it was a peaceful existence here, despite the early months where remenants of the shadow cult sought to cause discontent among the people. His soldiers were well rested, and many young men joined the ranks of the Reunited Kingdom's army in Minas Ithil, seeking to defeat the Shadow that once controlled them. But Cemendur knew he and his army had to move out. News from other parts of the Kingdom reached his ears. What troubled him the most was the huge army of the Empire of Harad that ravaged southern Lebennin, which marched closer to Pelargir, where his son and heir, Antanamir, resided. He had no news of his son's condition for several weeks, and Cemendur began to worry. Also, behind the Mountains of Shadow Andunbar was regrouping, recruiting more soldiers. Cemendur knew he must track down Herumor, the cause of all the evil that he was facing. Just then Aradan, the former leader of the resistance movement against the Shadow cult, now the Lieutenant of Minas Ithil, walked into the chamber, bearing messages from operations throughout the kingdom. "My Lord, these just arrived. I think you should see this one first." He passed Cemendur a letter bearing the mark of his son, Antanamir. With a leap of hope he opened the letter, read it, and sat back in his chair, relieved and ecstatic. His son had fought the army of Harad, under their greatest general Nabulung, and defied all odds and defeated the Harad army, killing Nabulung in the process. What's more, Admiral Ciryaher, Head Captain of the King's Ships, destroyed the Corsair fleet attacking the Anduin, along with the surviving Harad troops. Now Antanamir was planning to take the independent lands of the Harondor Strand, to divert the Harad attacks from Gondor, and to begin to carve his way into Harad lands, ultimately taking Umbar. Cemendur was exceptionally pleased with his son and his exploits, although he was slightly worried about him taking a settlement deep in Harad lands, but he trusted his son's capabilities. He looked up at Aradan and spoke. "My son has won a great victory against Harad. He now seeks to gain a foothold in their lands." "Excellent news my lord. Another step towards victory." "Indeed. Aradan, do me a favor. Go fetch Finrod and tell him to come with you to here. We must talk of our plans against Andunbar." "Yes my lord. I'll leave the rest of these with you." He gave the remaining letters to Cemendur and walked out from the room. Cemendur sat up and looked through them. One caught his eye. The mark of Dol-Amroth was on it. He wondered why. Curious, he opened the letter. It read:

To the King of the Reunited Kingdom,

My dear friend Cemendur, several months ago I inquired you about my suspicions about the Haradrim prescence in Andrast. To this inquiry you had your doubts, but presently agreed to my request, and I took my soldiers and marched towards the Andrast peninsula. For months we marched without seeing any signs of Haradrim, until a a few weeks ago. It was at the entrance to the Andrast peninsula that we encounterd a large force of Haradrim soldiers, numbering about 1000 troops. This confirmed my beliefs of Haradrim presence in this land, and I prepared my troops for battle. The enemy took position on the hill about a mile away, and I advanced my men towards them. When my archers were in range they opened fire upon the Harad Plainsmen skirmishers, killing many and minimizing their ability to inflict damage on our troops. My infantry then charged the enemy swordsmen and spears. I then took my calvalry around the flanks and charged the rear of the enemy line. One unit routed, then another. Soon the whole Harad army was routing, and my troops finished off the rest of the Harad army. Now we are besieging Ost-in-Andrast, a former Harad fortress that they constructed upon arriving. However the Harad army left, and outlaws took it over. A smaller Harad force is camped at the very edge of the peninsula. After we take the town, we will destroy them. I send this letter, my king, to inform you of my expedition, and to ask what you wish me to do once Andrast is under your banner.

Your friend,
Adrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth

Cemendur paused after reading the letter. Such a lengthy letter for such a menial task, he thought. He never really approved of the Andrast expedition, but out of friendship and assurance that after the mission Adrahil would do whatever the king asked of him. He felt the prince should stay in Anfalas, to protect Southern Gondor from attack from the Dunlandings. But if the need arose, he would send him somewhere else, possibly on an expedition to Harad. He looked through the rest of the letters. Most were reports of actions around the realm and economic reports. For some reason the economy wasn't as high as it should have been, but Cemendur took measures to increase the realm's productivity. Just then Finrod and Aradan walked into the room. "What do you need my friend?" he said. Cemendur looked up, "We need to move out. We cannot sit here idle while Andunbar regroups. We must place another crushing blow against Andunbar." "Where will we attack?" asked Aradan. "Barad-eden. The place where the dark tower of Barad-dur once stood. Now it is the capital of Andunbar. With it, all of Gorgoroth will fall to our control. It will cut Andunbar in half. We cannot delay this attack. Finrod, get the men ready to leave tommorow. I'm afraid our moment of peace is gone."

Chapter 3: Another Push, Another Blow

In this land, the seasons seemed to cease to exist. Everywhere was black, a bleak reminder of the great evil that once existed here. In fact, the very city that Cemendur and his army was besieging was the former spot of the Dark Tower of Barad-dur, the abode of Sauron, the Dark Lord. Cemendur observed the bleak plain. He and his army had only just arrived at the city several days before, and preparations for siege had just begun. Finrod and Aradan rode up to Cemendur. "My Lord, our scouts have returned from Udun. No movement has been detected." Aradan reported to Cemendur. "No movement to the south either. Andunbar has not recovered from our blows against them before." Finrod told Cemendur. Cemendur turned towards the city. "So it seems," Cemendur whispered, "So it seems." He then turned towards Finrod and Aradan. "Before he left, our diplomat stationed in the south said that a huge army was sent east by Andunbar. Eastern Mordor is in the hands of Vairags. That is where the remainder of Andunbar is hidden. Beyond that, Rhun." Cemendur concluded. Aradan then spoke, "While we were still running resistance operations in Minas Ithil, we heard reports that an alliance was signed between Andunbar and Ruhn, and that Rhun would send support to Andunbar." Cemendur turned towards Aradan, "That may be true, and if we expand east we can stop Andunbar from travelling through Mordor." "But what if they come through the north? There are not many defenses and troops to defend it." Finrod said. "We will have to make do for now. If we can crush this revolt, we can easily restore our defenses. Now, all we must do is wait until the siege weapons are finished." Finrod left, and Cemendur pulled Aradan aside. "I told you to stay behind and govern Minas Ithil." Cemendur told Aradan. "I couldn't resist going to battle. I'm a fighter, not a governer." Cemendur laughed, shook his hand, and took his leave.

Several months later, the siege weapons were completed, and Cemendur had his troops ready to storm Barad-eden. Before he prepared for battle, he recieved word from Adrahil, the Prince of Dol-Amroth, who had recently taken the Andrast peninsula and recently named Lord of Andrast. He did not think of it much, and the prince was told to remain in Andrast. Meanwhile Cemendur focused on the task at hand. He had his swordsmen and recently acquired Blackland mercenaries man the battering rams, while his highly trained archers unleashed a barrage of arrows upon the defenders, killing many before the swordsmen burst through the breaches. The bombardment by the archers killed a majority of the enemy, and the few defenders left quickly routed. The remaining enemy units, mostly archers, regrouped in the town square. However, the infantry of Cemendur held the enemy at the square, while Cemendur and his guards charged the rear. It only took a matter of minutes for Barad-eden to be taken. Directly after the battle, the Shadow Cult was rooted out, and conversion back to the Men of the West began. Cemendur was pleased with how quickly the city was taken, and he knew only a few more cities remained loyal to the Shadow Cult and Andunbar. However, these good feelings were cut short incredibly quickly. A messenger arrived from Emyn Arnen. "My King, your friend, the Steward of Gondor and Lord of Emyn Arnen, Barahir of the House of Hurin, has died." Cemendur did not know how to react at first. His face was a mix of extreme sadness and disbelief. He then excused himself, stepped into the Lord's Palace, and quietly mourned. He knew that Barahir's time was to come soon. He was 120, and weary of the world. He knew he would give up his life one of these days. But he was still devestated by his death. He was upset that he could not attend the burial of Barahir, who had requested to be buried in Emyn Arnen. Cemendur finally smiled. He left on his own will, and he will always be remembered.

Meanwhile, in the south, Antanamir had landed on the Harondor shore, about the same time Cemendur arrived at Barad-eden. His objective was the city of Lond Elenath, which controlled the fertile Harondor Strand, a small but decisive piece of land. It provided an acess point for the invasion of Harondor, and a later attack on the inner lands of Harad itself. A small rebel force stood in the way, but they were divided easily and quickly defeated. The survivors surrendered, and their lives were spared. Now, several months afte the city was captured, Antanamir recieved reinforcements from the southern lands of the Kingdom. This allowed him to march out into Harondor and engage any Harad forces in the lands. However, unbeknownst to Antanamir, a large Harad force stood in his way to block his advance. And beyond that force, the Haradrian Emperor himself led his army, poised to attack. A smaller force had entered Southern Ithilien, and taking advantage of the death of Barahir, besieged Emyn Arnen. Antanamir would face the fight of his life against the Haradrian empire. Who will triumph?

Chapter 4: The Invasion of Harondor

Harondor. Since the end of the Second Age Gondor and Harad had bitterly contested the ownership of these lands, thought Antanamir, and after the Andunbar revolt, they are once again under the control of Harad. "But I aim to change that." Antanamir said. Several days ago, Antanamir left Lond Elenath, with a majority of the well trained Gondorian troops, and embarked on his quest to take Harondor. "My lord," Antanamir's lieutenant, Brethil, said, "scouts have just returned. A Harad army of about 1500 men stands in our way. Shall we attack?" Antanamir responded, "Of course we will attack! Any Harad army that we don't defeat will come back to attack us. How far away are they?" "About a day's march ahead of us. Shall I preapre the men to march?" "Yes, tell them we set out now." Half an hour later, Antanamir and his army was on the move. By nightfall, they could see the banners of the Harad army. "Set up camp here," Antanamir said, "we attack in the morning." The next day Antanamir prepared his troops for battle, and they marched towards the Harad lines. But what they saw struck fear into the hearts of the army. Four huge Mumakil accompanied the Harad armies, and at the sight of this Antanamir rallied his men. "Archers, prepare flaming arrows!" The longbowmen of Gondor ignited their arrows. "Aim, fire!" A volley of flaming death rained down upon the Mumakil. At first they were unaffected, but after several volleys, the Mumakil ran amok, and fled the field. Meanwhile, the swordsmen and axemen charged into the ranks of the Harad armies, and the lighter troops fled. The calvalry of Harad engaged the Mercenary Harondor calvalry of the Reunited Kingdom. Antanamir and his bodyguards charged into the exposed flanks of the Harad troops. All around him the Harad troops were fleeing. Antanamir and his bodyguards chased after the Harad calvalry, and killed the enemy captain. The whole of the Harad army now turned and fled. The remaining Harad troops were run down, and Antanamir could now continue his invasion of Harondor.

In southern Harondor, a huge Harad army was assembling. A rider from the north rode up to the commander, a man of about 70. "My lord," the rider said, "an army of the Reunited Kingdom is marching across North Harondor. They have already defeated the army that you ordered to advance into the Harondor strand and are heading towards the chief city of Harondor North." The commander looked over his troops. The army was meant to invade into the chief Reunited Kingdom lands, and he was marshalling forces from all over Harad. The marshalling was not over, but his forces vastly outnumbered the Reunited Kingdom's army. "Also, the army is commanded by the heir to the throne of the Reunited Kingdom." At this the commander's mind was set. "We shall fight the enemy army, and we will destroy them. No man challenges the might of Harad. So speaks Muntassir, Emperor of Harad!"

Chapter 5: The Battle of Harondor

Antanamir and his army were resting in a valley in Harondor as they made their way towards the region's capital. Antanamir was resting under a tree in the valley, and was having the strangest dream. Two armies were lined up on a vast green plain. On one side stood elves, dwarves, men, and every good creature ever to exist. At the front stood a man wielding a black sword and what appeared to be two gods, one powerfully built, like a wrestler, the other clad in gold armor and an aura of importance and command. On the other side of the field stood every evil creature to exist: orcs, goblins, trolls of all sizes, demons of the past such as balrogs and dragons, and at their head two black figures, one taller than the other. Soon drums and horns sounded, and the two sides charged...
"My Lord! Harad troops at the top of the valley! Wake up!" Antanamir was awoken by his lieutenant Brethil. Men were rushing back and forth, and at the edge of the valey a Harad army entered with the souding of trumpets and the thunder of drums. Antanamir knew there was something different about this army. No other Harad force he faced made such a noise. An important man must be leading the army, maybe even the Emperor. Whoever it was the noise made by the Harad army was frightening Antanamir's army, coupled with the fact that the Harad army outnumbered them 2 to 1. Antanamir mounted his horse and rallied his troops. "Men! I care not if we face an army led by the Emperor of Harad or some captain who knows not left from right, I assure that today on the field of battle, we will have victory! Look at their army! Most of their numbers are peasant militia, and look at you, noble soldiers of the Reunited Kingdom! Now men, do not let fear overwhelm you, but let fear overwhelm them!" The soldiers cheered, and Antanamir put his troops into position. The Crimson Riders of Harad attempted to flank the Reunited Kingdom army, but Antanamir and his guards charged and engaged the Riders. Meanwhile, the Harad light calvalry, the Riders of the Harnan, moved to the left flank of Antanamir's forces. They were countered by the Harondor Riders that Antanamir had recruited, and they engaged in combat. The Gondorian swordsmen and the Lossarnach axemen engaged the main infantry line, while the King's Spears were held in reserve. The Serpent Black, the bodyguards of Harad, and the few archers of Harad peppered the lines of the Reunited Kingdom. The Longbowmen of the Reunited Kingdom returned fire, and a battle of archers ensued. The Serpent Black then made a charge into the engaged Gondorian Swordsmen. However, the swordsmen managed to hold the calvalry at bay, and they retreated. The infantry of Harad was no match for that of the Reunited Kingdom, and the Harad infantry took many casualties. Antanamir and his guards charged down from the hill they were fighting on into the mass of infantry, and routed many. Meanwhile, the Harondor Riders were finishing off the Harad light calvalry. The Serpent's Guard was now engaging the Reunited Kingdom infantry, and Antanamir and his guards turned to finish off the enemy general. Every other infantry unit also turned and charged the general. The Serpent's Guard was torn to pieces. Antanamir sought out the enemy general, the supposed royal. He saw him trying to leave the battle. Antanamir picked up a Harad spear that was stuck in the ground and threw it at the general's horse. The horse crashed to the ground and the general fell. Antanamir dismounted his horse and spoke to his adversary: "Face me now general of Harad, and earn an honorable death." The Harad general rose to his feet and drew a long scimitar. It was longer than any Antanmir had seen, and it was encrusted with precious jewels. "No, not my death. My army may have lost, but without you your army will fall as well!" At this the Harad general lunged at Antanamir, who quickly drew his sword and dodged the attack. But the Harad general lunged again, swinging like a madman, but with the skill of an expert swordsman. Antanamir had difficulty blocking the blows, and was hit several times. Antanamir then fought back. He attacked with several quick slashes, ducked an attack, then cut the leg of the Harad general. Antanamir's soldiers gathered around to watch the fight, and cheered for their leader. The Harad general fell back, and picked up a scimitar on the ground. Antanamir drew back. He knew at this he was not facing any member of the Royal house. This was the Harad emperor himself. But Antanamir had little more time to think, as the Emperor was running towards him with spinning blades. Antanamir rolled, barely avoiding being hit, and furiously parried the attacks by the Emperor. The Emperor swung low with one sword while Antanamir was getting up, but Antanamir qucikly swung up, and the Emperor's hand, along with the sword, fell to the ground. The Emperor recoiled, but then attacked again, but with lessening intensity. Antanamir took the offensive, heavily slashing, then spun and slashed the back of the Emperor's legs. The Emperor fell to his knees. Antanamir took the fallen scimitar, crossed it with his sword at the Emperor's neck, and cut off the Emperor's head. Antanamir's soldiers let out wild cheers. He had the Emperor's body burned, and took the scimitar along with him. He told his men to rest for several days, as they had fought a hard battle and had a ways to go. With the death of their Emperor, thought Antanamir, Harad would be less of a challenge, and their armies will begin to decline.

Or so he thought...

Chapter 5: Into Nurn

It was a year since the defeat and death of the Emperor of Harad, news which Cemendur had recieved only several months earlier. News took longer to reach him as he advanced deeper into Mordor, and he knew little of what was occuring in the distant reaches of his realm. But he knew that Andunbar's end was drawing near. His scouts reported that the new Andunbar capital was located in eastern Nurn. Cemendur's plan was head south, then east across the southern plain of Nurn, then strike the Andunbar capital. The only remaining land Andunbar would have would be in the north along Emyn Muil, and that land was in constant revolt. Andunbar would cease to exist, and focus could be placed on other parts of the realm. Dark tidings had reached the Reunited Kingdom that the hordes of Rhun were moving East along the Mountains of Shadow. No open hostility existed yet between the Reunited Kingdom and Rhun, but old wounds still existed from the wars at the end of the Third Age. To the south the Empire of Harad , despite their lossesstill controlled vast amounts of land, which could easily be used to generate more revenue to raise another army to strike the Reunited Kingdom. In the north, the war between Rohan and Dunland continued, but the Reunited Kingdom did not meddle in the affairs of the north.

Nurn had changed after the defeat of Sauron. While the plains of Gorgoroth were forever blackened by the evil of Sauron, Nurn had grown from a barren wasteland to a fertile land, especially the land around the Sea of Nurn, making this land the agricultural heartland of Andunbar. Now Andunbar must make their stand on these plains.

Cemendur and his army, along with his chief generals, had left Barad-eden a week ago, and had marched beyond the black plains of Gorgoroth and into the beginning of the plains of Nurn. After marching about a league or so into the plains the army set up camp. Cemendur thought he would meet little opposition on the plains in this campaign. The elven commander Finrod, however, thought differently. 'Be wary my friend. Mordor does not give up so easily, whether it be Gorgoroth or Nurn.' 'I know Finrod, but I don't believe they would be so foolhardy as to abandon their cities and send an army against us, unless if they have more troops than we expected.' Cemendur replied, waving off the threat. But Finrod was not at ease.

The next morning Finrod's fears were confirmed. 'To the east an army comes. Make ready for battle, o king!' Cemendur looked out into the distance, and indeed dark shapes were moving across the plain towards the camp. How foolish can they be, he thought to himself. No matter, the less to deal with later. Within minutes the entire army was roused and ready for battle.

The Andunbar army outnumbered the army of the Reunited Kingdom by about 200 men. But, as Cemendur proved before in numerous battles, numbers did not matter so much as skill. And his men were the most skilled troops in all of Middle Earth. But the Andunbar army had a respectable quality of troops. Four units of Royal Spears, a unit of Royal archers, two units of militia and a unit of swordsmen, with light calvalry as the general's unit. Cemendur had his army arrayed in his typical fashion: a line of infantry, a line of archers, his bodyguard behind, and cavalry on the flanks, with the heavier cavalry on the far right flank and the lighter cavalry on the far left. When the enemy army came within arrow range, the two cavalry units moved slowly around the enemy, slowly flanking them. Meanwhile, the Longbowmen were oredered to open fire, the first few volleys hiting the militia. Then the Rangers were ordered to fire, hiting the spearmen, while the Longbowmen fired upon the enemy archers. Then the elves fired to the far left flank, hitting the flanks of the spears. Then, after several volleys, all fire save that of the Longbowmen was halted, and the infantry charged. The light cavalry then charged from some distance away to attack the archers, while the heavy cavalry manuevered to hit the rear of the general, who charged into the Men-at-arms, however doing very little damage. Meanwhile the Rangers and Elves opened fire on a unit of Royal Spears that broke away from the group, causing many casualties amongst that unit. The enemy archers were routed, and the light cavalry charged to the Reunited Kingdom's right flank, where the milita and swordsmen were, while the heavy cavalry charged the left flank, where the spears and the enemy captain was. Cemendur and his guards caught the fleeing captain, whose guard was greatly reduced, and easily killed him. Coupled with the cavalry charges, the enemy soon broke, and only a few lucky soldiers survived. A great cheer went up amongst the Reunited Kingdom's army, which had taken very few casualites. Cemendur decided that, after an hour or so of rest and healing, they would move out to the south, to take the first city of Nurn.

Within three days time they had reached Seregon, a large town upon the northeastern shores of the Sea of Nurn. Here Cemendur and his army set up camp and settled in for the siege. In his tent alongside him was Finrod, the elven commander, and Aradan, the Lieutenant of Minas Ithil. Before them on a table lay a map of Mordor drawn at the beginning of the Fourth Age. It showedt the major locations around Nurn, and the commanders were debating where to strike next. 'The best route to take would be to head south and around Nurn, the strike at Lond Nurnen, which is supposedly the captial of Andunbar now. It will also be an excellent place to hold off the attacks of Rhun.' 'Why are you so sure that Rhun will attack?' Cemendur questioned. 'Well it seems to me that-' But he was cut off before he could finish. A weary rider, who looked like he had traveled many miles, entered the tent. 'I was delayed,' he said, 'the Ithil pass was blocked off when I arrived there, so I had to venture to the pass of the Moronan.' 'Why was the Ithil pass blocked?' asked Cemendur, troubled by these words. 'In good time my King. But I bring you dire news.' 'What news? How dire? Speak!' The rider took a deep breath and took a deep breath. When he finally spoke, his voice trembled. 'Your son, Antanamir, is dead.'

Chapter 6: The Tale of the Fallen Star

The room was silent. All eyes fell on Cemendur. The King's face was gaunt, and he fell into a chair. After what seemed like ages he spoke. 'How...did this happen?' the King asked, 'How did he die?' The unnamed rider took a seat and began his tale. 'I believe I should start from the beginning. As you know, about a year ago your son led the army to a great victory against Harad, killing their emperor in the process. Several weeks after that we reached the city of Harondor, chief city of that land. The men believed that no more Haradrian troops were present in North Harondor, that they were driven south. But Antanamir was not so certain. He knew Harad would not give up the land so easily. And he was right. A month after the siege of Harondor began, a Harad army came from the north, the same army that advanced far into Ithilien. Corsair pirates and Corsair Royal Spears filled the ranks, with other Haradrian troops in the mix. The garrison from Harondor left the city and attacked us from the east. Meanwhile, a calvalry unit of Black Serpent Guards came from the south. Antanamir rallied us to action. We faced the Northern army first. Gondorian arrows fell amongst the Corsair troops, but still they marched. The the arrows stopped, and the infantry gave a mighty roar and crashed into the corsair army, led by the men of Lossarnach. They cut through the corsair pirates with ease. Meanwhile the swordsmen cut into the spearmen, though it was a much harder fight. The Harondor riders swept around the enemy, while Antanamir and his guards burst through the gap the Lossarnach axemen created and engaged the enemy general, Razi the Young. Razi was killed quickly, and both units of cavalry charged into the rear of the enemy army. They quickly routed after the death of their general. The remainder of our troops regrouped and turned to face the army from the city, consisting of light troops, and the reinforcing general. Of that part of the battle I do not remember much, except that it was quick. Very few Haradrian troops survived the battle, and we marched into the city with ease.' He paused in his tale and took a long draught of wine, still thirsty from his long journey. 'But I don't understand. Antanamir survived the battle. How did he die?' Cemendur questioned. The rider finished drinking and looked at the king wiht sorrowful eyes. 'This is the hardest part of the tale. The populace of the city was not keen with our taking of the city and defeat of many Harad armies. They bitterly resented our rule. But Antanmir decided to show them friendship. He did not exterminate or enslave, but sought peace and friendship. But still the people rioted. Our troops got into several small scuffles with armed peasants. But the scuffles turned into revolts, and the people became more heavily armed. They even managed to kill some of our troops. Then things became strange. The revolts seemed to stop, and we let our guard down a little, but we were vigilant. Then came that night. I was in Antanamir's residence when it all went down. Apparently the week after the revolts died down a secret group emerged in the city, managing to sneak in supplies and men. That night they attacked. Antanamir and about ten of his bodyguards, including me, where in his chambers when we heard noises. We drew our swords. Then the door burst open, and out from it were heavily armed soldiers, of the likes I have never seen. They were dressed in silver mail, and had Silver helmets, which covered their faces completely, except their eyes. They had purple capes, cruel looking swords, and black shields. They seemed to be a gaping void of darkness, darker than an evil man's heart. They attacked us, and we managed to beat them off, although we lost three men in the process. There were about twenty of them, and luckily for us we were armed and amored. We left the room and went down the hallways, and we were ambushed by another twenty or so silver soldiers. Again they were beaten back, but we were down to five men: Antanamir, me, and three other bodyguards. As we ran through the halls we saw all the guards were dead. However we ran into some survivors in one hallway, about ten or so, and we asked them what happened. Al lthey could say was the soldiers seemed to appear from the shadows and cut down anyone in their path. We then exited into the courtyard, where we heard shouts from the city. Another uprising. Then, seemingly out of nothingness, the evil soldiers appeared, about a hundred, and attacked. We fought bravely, and soon only ten of us remained. Then horns rang out, and the courtyard gates were forced open. Our troops arrived and began to cut through the evil soldiers. But we were still surrounded, but Antanamir urged us foward. Then.... one of the silver clad soldiers stabbed Antanamir from behind. I was stunned, then I charged the attacker, cutting off his head. The rest of the enemy troops began to flee, but I held onto Antanamir. With his dying breaths he told me, "Bring this to my father." He gave me an object that was chained around his neck. And here it is my king.' He produced an object wrapped in cloth and gave it to Cemendur. He opened it and gave a cry. In it was the Elessar, the star of the House of Telcontar.

Chapter 7: The Travels of Beregond

The king sat motionless for a while without speaking. Then, he rose and spoke. "I need a moment to think. Forgive my insolence, rider, for that I cannot hear the rest of your tale." He then left the tent, followed by Finrod, who also took his leave. 'I knew this matter would affect the king deeply. I probably should not have told him this first. I have more news which must be heard.' the rider said. Aradan then spoke, 'Maybe so. But your tale has left me with questions. What troubles befell the Ithil vale that caused you to go north? And what horrors, if any, lurked there?' A dark look came over the rider's face. 'In good time I will tell of that pass, though the memory still haunts me.' He took another drink of wine, then his expression grew lighter. 'But I shall start with what occured after Antanamir's death. Well you see, the populace of Harondor went up in arms. There was no control there, so we deemed the safest thing to do was to evacuate the city before a Harad army came to reinforce the rebellion. The next day the revolts grew fiercer, and we evacuated, seeking to save Antanamir's body. A day later we besieged the city again, seeking to destroy all resistance there once and for all. Antanamir's body was to be borne to Minas Tirith, to be place in the care of his grandfather, Eldarion, and properly buried. The remaining memebers of his guard was to bear the body. However, I had my own plans. I knew I must make haste to deliver the message, so I mounted my horse and set off. In about a week I made it to the Crossings of Poros, past the mounds there, and entered Ithilien. In another week I made it to Osgiliath, then in a day I arrived at the mithril gates of Minas Tirith. There I spoke to Eldarion, governor of the city, about Antanmir's end. He then ordered the preparation for Antanamir's procession into the city. He also decided on the new prince of the Reunited Kingdom, Ondoher, the King's second son. Immediately he sent messengers out to Lamoden, where Ondoher resided, to send him to Pelargir to train, then to Harondor to fight. With this news I made for the Ithil pass. As I entered the pass I saw movement on the plains. I ventured closer, and an arrow flew over my head, followed by more. An Andunbar army had besieged Minas Ithil. I barely escaped from them.' Aradan looked shocked. 'Minas Ithil? Besieged? How did this happen?' The rider responded, 'I do not know. My guess is that they passed through Northern Ithilen and through the vale.' Aradan began muttering to himself, saying such things as, 'My city...besieged...cultist devils...' and so on. After about a minute of this, Aradan spoke to the rider, 'What did the Andunbar army look like?' 'Not very strong. Mainly militia units, with one unit of swordsmen.' At this Aradan relaxed. 'Then all is well. I left some of the finest troops in that city, and no milita will defeat them. Now continue with your tale which I so rudely interupted.' 'Very well.' said the rider. 'Since I knew that I must deliver these messages to King Cemendur, there was really only one other way: through the ruins of the Morannon and the valley of Udun. That valley still was held in fear, although the power of Sauron was broken. I rode north into the Dagorlord, and I saw Andunbar armies to the north. I quickly rode to the ruins of the Morannon. The ruins of the Towers of Teeth still remained, since no man dared to touch them. A darkness seemed to hover over the Udun valley. I cautiously entered.' The rider shook his head. 'A heavy feeling of fear was over the place. When I was almost through the valley, I saw the town of Durthang, next to the ruined fortress. Or supposedly ruined fortress. The entire structure was repaired, and there were lights and movement coming from it. I spent minutes staring up at it. Which was a mistake. Soon a hail of arrows came flying towards me. I barely managed to get away. I made much haste across the plains of Gorgoroth. I did not stop until I found this army. And that is my tale.' He breathed deeply, and said, 'But there is one more thing to be said. My attackers in Udun...they were not like men. They were shorter, bowlegged. I believe they were...orcs.' At this Aradan sighed. 'Long have we feared this, and now it is proven true. Durthang is as black as the plains of Gorgoroth. You must tell this news to Cemendur, that is if he has recovered.' As they made to leave Aradan asked the rider, 'In all the confusion and story telling I have forgotten my courtesy. What is your name.' The rider replied, 'My name is Beregond, guard, loyal servant, and friend of Antanamir, my fallen captain.'

Chapter 8: The King's Decision

Finrod rushed from the tent, seeking Cemendur. Several moments later he found him, preparing his horse for travel.
"Cemendur, what foolishness is this?" Finrod queried.
"I'm going back to Minas Tirith," Cemendur responded, "I must see my son before he is buried."
"If you go back everything you have worked for will be in vain. Your conquests, your rule, possibly your life. Have you not heard of the evil that lurks in Udun? What if it is that that causes the distrubence in the Ithil pass? Without your leadership all you have worked for will fail. Your son would not want you to throw away your achievements so rashly." Finrod said. Cemendur then turned on Finrod and spoke with rage:
"How would you know what my son wanted? He is dead!" he shouted.
Finrod then spoke with such calmness that it held an enchantment over Cemendur: "Because if he was truly your son, and if he truly loved you, he would want you to continue your quest. He died fighting to restore light to the world, he died a hero's death. If you abandoned everything to see his body, all he fought for would be lost."
The flames of fury were quenched within Cemendur, and the truth behind Finrod's words were revealed.
"I'm sorry, my friend. I was ignorant because I was so angry and saddened by my son's death. Forgive me." Cemendur said to Finrod.
"As always you are forgiven. But I believe there is more to the story of this rider in your son's company. Let us see what he has to say. Or, you can wait here for a while and calm yourself if you like." Finrod said.
"Yes, I would like to sit here for a while and rest." Cemendur replied.
"Very well. I will check to see how the siege goes." Finrod said and left.
Cemendur was left to himself. The rolling plains of Nurn were around him, restored after the fall of Sauron. His mind was made up. No, he thought, I will not abandon what I set out to do. I will not let evil corrupt this place again. He then turned towards the east, where clouds loomed in the distance. That was Rhun, a land of fierce warriors, enemies of Gondor in the Third Age. I wonder, he thought again, would war come? Probably. Will I live to fight it? Maybe. His mind turned to who would lead when he was gone. Ondoher, his second son would now be heir. He then realized he still had the Elessar in his hand. He must send a rider to give it to Ondoher, for it was custom that the heir would recieve this heirloom. While in the middle of these musings, Aradan called for him.
"My King! There you are. Are you all right?" Aradan questioned.
Cemendur smiled. "Yes, all is well. What news do you have for me?" Then the rider, whose name was revealed as Beregond, told the remainder of his tale. Cemender's face grew dark as he heard the news.
"We must send an army into Udun to wipe out these forces before it is too late. I will send a rider to Minas Ithil. Hopefully the siege is broken by now, and we can again acess the Ithil pass. An army will be raised to counter the orcs. Also, another rider will bear this to my son Ondoher." In his hand he held the Elessar.
"I will send a rider immediately." Aradan said and departed. Cemendur then turned to Beregond.
"You will remain in my company. You fought well in Harad, and you served my son greatly. We still have much to do in the east. I would be honored if you joined my Royal Guard."
Beregond was suprised and filled with happiness about this choice, but his voice remained calm. "Thank you my king." He bowed.
"Now get some rest. You have come a long way through many dangers. And we may have more ahead." Cemendur said. Beregond bowed and left. Tommrow they will attack Saergon.

The ram rolled down towards the city. The clouds in the east had reached the city before the battle had begun. The last reports from the city had reached Cemendur's ears. It was lightly defended, however the King of Andunbar, Nalokhor, was in the city. Which meant also, thought Cemendur, Herumor, the true source of evil, was also there. The archers were ordered foward to attack the swordsmen of Andunbar that were stationed at the gate. After several vollies, the swordsmen were decimated to a man.

The gate was destroyed, and Cemendur and his guard burst through. Behind them, a column of swordsmen marched up the main street towards the plaza. Cemendur and his guard galloped through a side street. Then they met the enemy King and his guards in combat. "Foward!!!! For Middle-earth!!!" Cemendur cried, and a great clash rang throughout the air.

The fighting was fierce. Several of Cemendur's knights fell, but they pressed on. Cemendur himself fought with unmatched fury. He charged straight into the fray, killing every enemy in his path, seeking Herumor. Finally, every enemy knight was killed, and the enemy king Nalokhor was killed by a spear through the throat.

The order was given for Cemendur's infantry to charge at the remaning Andunbar militia. After several more minutes the remaining enemy troops surrendered, and Saergon was in the hands of the Reunited Kingdom. At once he ordered men to search the city for Herumor. But he wasn't found. He must have left days ago, thought Cemendur. But this only fueled his determination to track down Herumor and end the rebellion. At this moment, in Minas Ithil, a counterattack was launched by the defenders of Minas Ithil at the besieging Andunbar army, routing them. In Barad-eden, an army was being raised to combat the orcs. Andunbar's time was drawing to a close.

But another threat loomed in the east.....