Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why are you still playing MTW or Shogun?

Civis

Default Re: Why are you still playing MTW or Shogun?

because there's something about the campaign map makes it interesting. I don't bother with battlefield maps. It's a bit like chess. Just reloaded Shogun after playing empire.

The "token" movement and map, and of course SUPERIOR AI. I mean, vanilla-wise, MTW and STW ai has managed to surprise me quite a few times, and is a great terrain chooser, even with NTW. Rome wise, darth formations and ai mod has taken out some "features" like suicidal generals or absurd flaking maneouvres (flanking elite with skirmishers, 1 to 3). Of course MTW2 has NO AI whatsoever, i bought it as soon as it reached the shops here in Spain... What a dissapointment, glowing units, nerfed stats (but to my amazement shorter battles)... Eye candy and nothing else.

Roma surrectum, ntw2, pike and musket and NTW are the main reasons for me to keep playing TW games, dont start me with Empire ,i wont play it... Not in my PC-1512 (short of), got neither a Über Machinen nor the intention to buy one.

I know is out of the topic, but something that makes me very very sad is how TW franchise has taken that short of movements towards higher poligon counts, and less work on the AI. It seems someone thinks that general turned suckers as time kept going on (STW: great Ai, high troop mortality with long and drawn out battles with a few surprises; MTW: Nice AI, nerfed by the fact that it has too many possibilities choosing units or paths, bu nevertheless some great battles, cavalry charges and shielded feudal knights . RTW : someone decided to make units RUN LIKE HELL moving around battles (battles which themselves lasted much less than previous TWs), that meant frenzied movements in boring terrains (both things are adressed by some GREAT mods like Rome surrectum or RTR), and top of it units that come from the imagination of CA team, which, in my opinion, DO NOT BELONG there. MTW2: eye candy... and nothing else; no ai at all, just some child moving stacks around.

My two cents: Titvs Atreides

cegorach's Avatar Artifex

As a modder I've always enjoyed seemingly infinite possibilities the game gives for one person/small team.

As a player I've always liked the difficulty, playing on expert in some mods you can get nice looking features like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That was fun.
    Enemy of 'illiberal democracies', member of the B.A.L.T.S.
    VISIT Pike and Musket forums VISIT the amazing site about PLC
    under the patronage of the mighty ASTERIX

Trobalov's Avatar Greek Pride

Even though I haven't tried the Latest of TW series much,(lack of free time) I still consider Medieval Total War 1 the best piece of this "puzzle" by far.

By the way, Hi all! I haven't logged here for like 5 years

Trobalov

Life is like Chess, once you make a move you can't take it back.

jigga's Avatar Foederatus

Steam

if i still had them, or could find them (i think i know where med1 is but would have to download the redux mod to make it work on my shiney new computers (or so i believe)) i would still be playing them because of the ease and speed of the campaign map game, i would still ignore most of the actual battle map stuff because i am too used to med2 (even going back to rome confuses me sometimes)

so yes i would still play them, and it is because the campaigns were so nicely made (that and the shogun ninja movies)

I wish I had my old computer so I could play these amazing games again, the new Total War games got nothing on MTW and STW Unfortunately every time I try to install MTW on my modern PC it doesn't even allow the installer to start

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Quote Originally Posted by jigga View Post
    Steam
    Haha, that's a good one!
    Last edited by Axalon; March 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: changes...

IMO Medieval: total war is best total War(between it and Medieval II) but then because my Medieval won't work properly on my Vista... I have to play Medieval II.

Edit: wow... I didn't read, lol... I saw I posted alot later....

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Medieval TW is one of my favourite games of all time, and it is the best TW too.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

M1TW a wonderfully chaotic feel to it. In no other TW game could you land yourself in a full-scale civil war by calling unsuccessful hits on your own sons. Cities would plunge into revolution almost at random, and you didn't get a nice clean break-down telling you why they were unhappy - you just had to do something and hope it worked. Entire countries didn't vanish from the Earth because their kind died without an heir. You could fight the Pope and win.

All in all, in M1, you kind of felt like a king - you could be the leader of the most powerful empire on Earth, but you were never omnipotent, and you still never get a moment's peace.
    In the more recent titles, you're a god. You see everything, know everything, and can do anything... and somehow there's just less fun in that.

JackoHaddo's Avatar Miles

Used to play this game when i didn't know that medieval 2 total war was out. I tried it the other day but the graphics were terrible. And the little statues looked odd.

XL mod, without it i'd be lost to empire and mtw2 (i play nappy but not much) , i play all of them exept RTW and Shougun because i've finally gotten bored of those after about 11 years of total war
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Quote Originally Posted by Titvs View Post
    The "token" movement and map, and of course SUPERIOR AI. I mean, vanilla-wise, MTW and STW ai has managed to surprise me quite a few times, and is a great terrain chooser, even with NTW. Rome wise, darth formations and ai mod has taken out some "features" like suicidal generals or absurd flaking maneouvres (flanking elite with skirmishers, 1 to 3). Of course MTW2 has NO AI whatsoever, i bought it as soon as it reached the shops here in Spain... What a dissapointment, glowing units, nerfed stats (but to my amazement shorter battles)... Eye candy and nothing else.

Roma surrectum, ntw2, pike and musket and NTW are the main reasons for me to keep playing TW games, dont start me with Empire ,i wont play it... Not in my PC-1512 (short of), got neither a Über Machinen nor the intention to buy one.

I know is out of the topic, but something that makes me very very sad is how TW franchise has taken that short of movements towards higher poligon counts, and less work on the AI. It seems someone thinks that general turned suckers as time kept going on (STW: great Ai, high troop mortality with long and drawn out battles with a few surprises; MTW: Nice AI, nerfed by the fact that it has too many possibilities choosing units or paths, bu nevertheless some great battles, cavalry charges and shielded feudal knights . RTW : someone decided to make units RUN LIKE HELL moving around battles (battles which themselves lasted much less than previous TWs), that meant frenzied movements in boring terrains (both things are adressed by some GREAT mods like Rome surrectum or RTR), and top of it units that come from the imagination of CA team, which, in my opinion, DO NOT BELONG there. MTW2: eye candy... and nothing else; no ai at all, just some child moving stacks around.

My two cents: Titvs Atreides
    this is... this is gonna make me cry this is so true. i have tried to tell everyone else this but the words cant be found. its good to know someone understands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

MTW is way better than RTW. Both campaign wise and actual battles, its actually hard, etc. The only thing that disappointed me in MTW was never finding a mod that improved the Viking campaign in VI. That was so whofully inadequate given how interesting an idea it was. If anyone knows of such a mod, please post here or send me a pm.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

I'm not playing it because no one on earth can tell me how to stop the game from lagging during battles with no reason at all. the game freezes then unfreezes constantly. it makes me want to do a ritual sacrifice to Ba'al of a certain company's employees.

Been quite a while since playing MTW to its conclusion...waiting, and waiting for your navies to eventually whittle down the enemy ship to take Rhodes, Malta, and Crete can be tiresome...but for an afternoon it still offers great opportunities for epic battles. Battles that last 2 hours or more (always quite annoyed when RTW expects my besieging army to complete the assault in 15 minutes -- why did I bring all these guys to the battle, if not to use them).

Well when the campaign is in it´s midgame or endgame state you should have enough navies to control the seas.
    Or do you try to take Rhodes, Malta or Crete at the beginning?

It's far suerior to all the new nonsense..
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

I'm a fan of playing the English in MTW (love the range of the Welsh Longbow); so as you might guess there are a lot of intermediate seas to occupy with your navy before seizing control of the Mediterranean...3 years/per caravel adds up.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast