Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: ReallyBadAI Battle System +Hardcore + Settlements v5.7 >Oct 17< ###quality taken to next level###

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

Default Re: ReallyBadAI - Stainless Steel, RR/RC battle AI development and discussion

I'm pretty convinced we could script basically any behaviour (ofc some limitations apply), but the problem is how it'll interfere with AI.
    I've been checking kingdoms.exe file, I've noticed lines corresponding to vanilla battle AI files construction, which means it checks the correctness of the code based on what's implemented inside the .exe file (we knew that, but now we know exactly which lines it checks - removing any category present within this file will result in using default values - which we also knew, but it seems more grounded now, in addition I'm pretty convinced trying any setting for which there is no corresponding line in any place of the .exe is pointless), I know some working setings that are not present in the visible "default" lines of battle, which is at least a bit optimistic.

@blbrotto
    Thanks, I'll see if I can do anything about pike units without breaking AI's tactic (not too likely though).
    I've seen Darth's code before, I'll just say I'm not a fan of exaggerating.

AI Stakes Deployment Script v0.2 available.
    Last edited by Germanicu5; April 29, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
    I have no memory of this place.

Default Re: ReallyBadAI - Stainless Steel, RR/RC battle AI development and discussion

A noob question, pardon, but how do the HUMAN player deploy stakes?

another thing: is it possible to control the AI deployment before battle?
    make it random, or at least change the deployment?

AI always deploy weird, and cavalry and other units are in tight formation. they take heavy casualties if i use proper missile units, aswell as the cavalry - Is there any trigger like if_under_attack or if_under_missile to make the AI switch to loose? anything that makes it change formations back and forth? it's pretty funny to deploy 4 catapults and 3 archers in a few positions and fire them - they lose a LOT!

Player plants stakes during battle deployment phase.
    Controlling AI's deployment would be hard, I'm testing loads of stuff atm, so in a couple of weeks I should come up with more "doable" ideas.
    As for setting loose formation, I can make a script doing that dependant on how far enemy is, but I think it hadn't been much different in vanilla before this option was eliminated - there was an issue with AI formation loosing cohesion (I mentioned that in a PM I believe). And there's always the issue of AI possibly reverting back to tight formation as soon as it reclaims control over that unit.

Regards

P.S. Try the Radical version of AI (AIs missile units react to threats extending further, than in standard release)
    Last edited by Germanicu5; April 29, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

Actually you did and it skipped my mind. Thanks again.

Umm, any examples for "how to deploy the damn stakes" for the human player? i really can't find out how. which units? what to do?

Many thanks.

Archers can deploy stakes only at the initial deployment stage before you 'begin battle'. The icon where the flaming arrows option is replaced with a pic of some stakes. Only certain arches can use them, eg longbowmen
    member of S.I.N.

Ducenarius

Emmm sorry but where is the campaign script file?

Yeps, what ginger_hammer said.
    Longbowmen, basque and other archers use stakes (if you want to find the full list, just browse export_descr_unit.txt in mod's DATA folder and look for "stakes" phrase).

@Andrew1994
    Linked to in the first post: Download ReallyBadAI Campaign Script v0.2 and somewhere on this page too.

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; April 29, 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Ducenarius

Yes i know that
    I mean where is that file in the SS folder

I wrote an experimental script making 1/3rd of defending units (AI or player) rout for 10 seconds when either gate or walls are breached for the first time. It could possibly lead to more realistic sieges if properly developed (and finally make player wreck cities a bit). Feedback desired .

@Andrew 1994
    In SS/Data/world/maps/campaign/... and there you have all the campaigns, in their folders you'll find either campaign_script.txt, or custom_script.txt, which you need to edit.

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; April 30, 2009 at 06:39 AM.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

three possibly impossible to do much about points:

1) Can we get the AI to stop assigning ladders and rams to missile units if there are spear or melee units available to do the job?
    2) Can we get the AI (in siege battles when attacking) to check it is actually firing at walls and not (as i saw last night) a blooming big hill with a building on top that the game engine had plonked right in front of where the AI set-up. 2 culverins fired away and only hit the hill in front of their noses all battle.
    3) Can we get AI reinforcement armies to advance half way to centre of map before deploying, especially if they have a lot of cavalry? It would be really good to cure the problem of AI reinforcements spending an entire battle trying to set-up and failing because it can't calculate where the edge of the battlefield is (I suspect it knows the position of units relative to their centre, rather than their edges.)

I have no idea if this is possible:

When defending a seige its a popular tatic to race you cavalry out to briefly attack the ladders and towers while leaving the ram alone. The ai then drops and forgets about the ladders and towers and lines up behing the ram ready for an oil shower in the gate.
    Can the AI go back to the ladders/towers after initial brief contact, instead of all lining behind ram? (if you attack the ram as well then the AI seems to go back to the ladders/towers)
    member of S.I.N.

I'm taking few days off, I won't probably be able to test much.
    @Rozanov
    ad.1) I'd been thinking about that for a while, I've got an idea on how to do that, ofc no "100% satisfaction or money back" guaranteed.
    ad.2) Hmm, maybe some formation adjustment would be in order? Otherwise I know no solution for now.
    ad.3) That's an idea... theoretically it can be done, I'll see if I can apply proper conditions to that.
    @ginger_hammer
    I've been thinking about scripting the whole 1st phase of settlement attack, which is a lot of work and I'm not sure results would be good, I'll try. Too much stuff on my to-do list already.

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; April 30, 2009 at 06:39 AM.

Ducenarius

Thanks,but it doesn't work for me

Please can you upload the customised custom_script for late era campaign?(i ask it as a favour)

Do the AI always put stakes in front of their position?because i started a new campaign and have a battle with france against england and the english longbowmen didn't put stakes in front of their position athough i had cavarly.(BUT they didn't have a general)
    Last edited by Andrew1994; April 30, 2009 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicu5 View Post
    I wrote an experimental script making 1/3rd of defending units (AI or player) rout for 10 seconds when either gate or walls are breached for the first time. It could possibly lead to more realistic sieges if properly developed (and finally make player wreck cities a bit). Feedback desired .
    Looking forward to check it on this weekend

I have a few questions\suggestions, if you be kind to consider.

1) Is it possible to make the infantry (cavalry, infantry etc) to attack enemy buildings?
    I think this way when enemy is routing to the town center, enemy can make havoc thus forcing the defender to take action. this way sieges are more realistic. add it to your script, it could be a nice "conditions" combination. The trick is that buildings should not be "identified" as something hostile that siege weapons and archers will attack automatically.

2) Moreover, i'd like to suggest working on the speed of the units.
    Light infantry are faster than heavy ones.
    Light infantry can be used to kill routing units.
    Heavy infantry will have a VERY hard time chasing light ones.

3) speed, speed and fitness.
    If your unit has a low fitness, it should act and move like with low fitness, thus exhausted means -X to the speed. If unit moral is lowered and then raised, like "eager" or a igher value (if you can add a few moral types it can be great, like "battle-frenzied") the unit should get a sligh boost to their speed. Frenzied units will move faster.
    For example: A good sweep of cavalry through archers will make them frenzy. frenzy make them faster, for a short while. this comes to making the battle a bit more interesting, like a turn of the tide sorta.

4) Upgrade to horses (breed).
    This is probably impossible, but here it goes: is there any way like in the stables, to "add" an upgrade to the horse's breed? like "a fine stud horse" or some "arab horse"? something that could add something new to the battles?

5) upgrade to armor reduces fitness. I can understand that you can put some heavier armor on units, but THAT should give them more defence, but lower their fitness (even you guys would'nt be able to endure more with some "heavier armor plates" )

6) lancers only. Suppose you have some Cavalry with lances. You can attack better enemy cavalry equipped with swords, or you can "bash" through shieldwalls. just another type of unit, with lance only.

what do you guys think?

blbrotto's Avatar Libertus

Hi Germanicu!

I have a sugestion about your propose to have different AI battle files (what I think this is a great ideia!)
    Is there some possibility (using script sytem) to relate each BAI according to General traits? For example, if you have a general who don't have ability on battles, the AI will use a BAI with a weak strategy when is attacking or defending. On the other hand, if the AI is with Saladin"s army, for example, it will be more "difficult" to beat, using the most advanced BAI that you have....

Again, sorry about my english... I hope you undersatd what I mean here XD!

Keep your great work!!!!

@ShadowBane
    1. I don't think it would be possible to introduce such behaviour, AI isn't prepared to defend against such actions. Maybe if I started modding when this game came out...
    2. That's PB's job, not AI-related, and it works exactly as you suggest.
    3. Hmm... first thing I think of is "would AI benefit from it?", not sure it would be the case. Not sure it's scriptable too.
    4. Oh yea... "a fine stud"... would it increase possibility of having children and a mistress ? There are some basic types of horse and they're extremely well distributed between respective cavalry units, that's a part of what PB's mod is about. Not much space for improvement here.
    5. That's a feature of RR/RC again.
    6. And again .
    Generally I'm trying to stick to strictly AI-related stuff, thanks for ideas though. If you want to see what's scriptable download "ultimate docudemons" and check commands, events and, most of all, conditions.

@blbrotto
    Nope, switching battle files will probably need external program (if anyone knows how to script execution of xml file in campaign script, please do tell), which will randomly switch between AI files, but that's all, no conditions etc.
    Thx for feedback.

Regards

Ducenarius

Do the AI always put stakes in front of their position?
    Last edited by Andrew1994; May 01, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1994 View Post
    Do the AI always put stakes in front of their position?
    As long as units are equipped in stakes and their position enables placement of stakes.

Regards

Icon6 Re: ReallyBadAI - Stainless Steel, RR/RC battle AI development and discussion

I have a question, what is the changes between medium and VH difficult for battle? with your BAI should I be playing on VH?

also does unit size has any real effect on the ai?

I read some other post that small unit size they act different but i did some test and they do the same stuff for me.

thanks

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

some gateway strangeness:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Gateway queries
    ----------------------

Playing some custom battles with 0.73 radical

Had some strangeness occuring at outer gateways in citadel custom battles.

1) I had a unit of Fyrd spearmen defending the wall above the outer gateway. They were attacked by a unit of Turkish Janissary Heavy Infantry. However after the initial contact the battle pretty much froze. Some of the JHI were still at ground level, others inside the tower and 2 were standing (superimposed on eachother) in the doorway onto the wall. The stand like that for ages until I decided to suicide the fyrd spearmen just to get the game to get going again (the Turks weren't moving on to the next level of walls until the spearmen were cleared it seems.)

2) Roles reversed this time, English attacking (and getting soundly beaten - 10,000 fl will not buy you an army that can take a citadel against an army of similar value. especially not on VH setting.) This time my last unit remianing on the battlefield - the rest had fled, usually after taking casualties in melee with peasant archers etc - was a unit of norman crossbowmen. They were stuck in front (inside the walls) of an outer gateway. Their condition was fresh and idle. Yet nothing I could would induce them to move, skirmish on/off, guard mode on/off, move left, right, up and down. Nothing. The Turks didn't seem interested in attacking them so eventually I abandoned the battle.

3) Rather simpler issue - had a unit of spearmen defending the outer gateway at ground level. Moved them towards the portculis, to tighten up the defence. The towers lost their flags, wouldn't fire. Had to move the spearmen away from the gateway slightly before the towers resumed firing.

4) Ai unit was broken in a gateway area at ground level, instead of simply turning back the routing men climbed up the gateway tower and descended the ladders on the adjacent wall.

5) Same gateway, unit of routing AI infantry got stuck outside the gate. Didn't move until attacked.

Is there a dead zone in front of / behind the gateway now, where units become invisible to the game engine?