Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (ETW) Rise Of A Nation. The Ten Men Who Changed The World New preview video added 5/11/09

Icon10 (ETW) Rise Of A Nation. The Ten Men Who Changed The World New preview video added 5/11/09

Rise Of A Nation Chapter 2 Road To Brandenburg

Rise Of A Nation Chapter 3 Balls Of Steel

Mods used
    Imperial Splendour
    Blood, Smoke and Sound Mod
    Realistic Flag Set
    Royal Family Mod
    Period Music Mod
    Prussian Units Skins

Campaign: World Domination
    Difficulty: Hard/Hard

I big thank you to all the people who make the mods! Without you we would have to raid Creative Assembly!

I did not intend for this to be A Prussia AAR but I kind of enjoyed doing it. Will give me something to do until the patch. It makes the game much more fun this way! Moderators can move this to the AAR area if needed. AAR starts with a story line on Page two. Page one just gives you an over-all feeling for the Ten men who fought a hell of a battle.

............................................................................................................................
    Introduction
    I was out numbered by 700. Not only this I just had the town watch guys and a few Calvary reinforcements that got killed early into the battle. I had one set of cannons that took forever to move to the front lines.

I moved my main army to help Hanover out and what a huge mistake! As soon as I did this Saxony made their move on my capital playing Prussia. They hit me with 2700. I was really worried about losing my capital but knew I was in some serious trouble.

I put all my men outside the front wall with only one group manning the cannons on top of the fort. As soon I started the battle my reinforcements came from behind the fort. I had one set of Calvary and a General along with one set of cannons and that's all.

I did not expect Saxony to rush me! They came after me like killer bees making my whole lines rout outside the fort except for a few who I retreated inside the fort. I canceled my cannons from going up front and instead had them go into the back of the fort between buildings.

I knew I was dead but I was not giving up without a fight! While I was running they knocked a huge hole in my fort up front then rushed in like a bunch of fire ants coming out of a mound.

I moved my last lines back to the rear of the fort because I knew they would go for the flag. I moved my line on the front wall to the side wall to try and pick them off by the flag.

My cannons where just about in position inside the fort to the back right side. This was my only hope to open up some canister shot and make them rout.

Cannons in back right of fort
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I was right they stormed the flag area and my guys that I had left started shooting them. The cannons started to fire! Boom nailed a bunch of them! They went after my lines instead of the cannons. Thank God or I would have been dead fast.

My town folks where taking causalities fast! But at the same time so was the enemy!

Oh no here comes some Calvary! I immediately put my last remaining guys into melee mode. They managed to fight off the Calvary with the help of the cannons firing just at the right time before the Calvary was hidden behind the buildings. YES I have a chance! I moved my remaining 20 guys to the right side of the fort and faced them toward the flag ready to shoot.

Saxony managed to blow another hole in my wall and they where sending troops in. 20 men and one set of cannons is all I have due to the chickens who all ran earlier. Once my general lost his life, morale went to hell except for these last few guys who where determined not to give in.

Here is another screen to see what I had to go through

And another showing you where the cannons where placed. Remember I do believe the Imperial Splendour reduced the canister shot so its not as affected as vanilla. I could be wrong but it looked that way.

As you can see I am totally out numbered and have been the whole battle. I did not expect to get bum rushed from the AI like I did. Thought I was prepared but as you can see I got over run big time.

Now my brave 20 guys who decided for some reason to stay and fight rather than rout went down to ten as you can see in this screen shot. Don't they just look like born killers? Look at the compass and see all the red left. Also notice the bar on the left.

They are very brave soldiers but as you can see by the compass there is still a ton of work to do. Still a lot of red on the map. Here is a shot I will always remember as my guys took a break and low in behold more Calvary coming through the walls. I will frame this one. Check the guy out with the gun to the ground. I wonder what he is thinking? The other one looks like he is checking to see if his fly is open.

It's now up to the cannons to fire at the right time. Because my brave soldiers are dead if they do not.My ten heroes will never see another battle and I will just die if I cannot use them again.

The cannons work for once and the Calvary routs my guys are safe! There seems to be some red inside my fort but I cannot seem to find them. I decide to check the building as nothing was showing being in there. I went into one and all of the sudden my last remaining 10 guys now went down to about three and they routed.

There is still red on the map but all I have left is my horse cannons. We all know how slow it takes them to get somewhere. Mine at this point don't have an option to run.

I go outside my front walls and there is still a few AI. I got up to the right spot and made them rout. I noticed way out towards the edge of the map was some red. Scroll out to check it out and it looks like 30 or so Line Infantry.

I take my cannons out there and set them up a distance from them and hope that my canister will not fail me. All of the sudden they charge me and my cannons where just getting ready to fire.

I put them in melee and hope that I am able to fight them off. This is it if I can hold out and make them rout I just won a battle I will never forget! I noticed that someone has started the count down on my flag. Dirty AI was hidden somewhere in my fort and when I moved out they started capturing my flag!

I zoom close up watching as my men go down one by one with taking a few of the enemy. It gets so close then my flag starts flashing. Noooooo. Just a little bit longer and I may have caused them to rout.

My guys rout and the battle goes to Saxony.

One of the best battles I have ever had in any game! My entire army was wiped out but I put up one hell of a fight! Saxony will pay for killing my ten heroes!

I really believe this game has a potential to be great! If every battle was like this I would never get anything done!

I am using IS right now. I kinda of switch back and forth with Darthmod and IS. I hope you enjoyed the screens and the tale of my ten heroes. Hope that you have one just like this.

The battle was extremely long and I had to really move my guys into the right positions to almost hold out and win.

A Few More Screens

Update on page 2 The Road to Brandenburg 4/22/09
    Update on page 2 Balls Of Steel 4/23/09
    Last edited by Lord Leopold; May 11, 2009 at 07:05 PM.

Default Re: The last ten men standing against Saxony!My ten heroes

The Ten Bluebonn Heroes Will Be Remembered!

Well done mate, that's a great write up. I love your use of the cannon & the deadly cannister shot. Good screen shots as well. I agree that its the challenge that keeps us coming back.

+REP from the tea-chimp for the ten heroes & for being so enthusiastic & an all round good egg.

Henri
    Kardinal of the Khurch of Kong
    Author of the Official Zombie Handbook - due out in mid-2010
    http://www.ministryofzombies.com/
    http://severedpress.lefora.com/forum...s-and-authors/

Default Re: The last ten men standing against Saxony!My ten heroes

Thanks for the rep it was a blast to play. I did not get done last night until 5AM. I will pay for that today! I took more screens but for some reason my Fraps did not save them. I had some good ones of the arty guys fighting there last battle.

One thing I would like to say is the AI tried to get my cannons numerous times. As they would start to move towards them I was like oh no its all over now. The cannons would fire just in time and they would run.

I looked at the tool tip and they where frightened by nearby unit so this explains why every time they would get almost there and boom the cannons would fire.

I also noticed why I could not find the last few remaining enemy in my fort. I had the flags turned off so when i left to get there last remaining 30 line infantry they took advantage of this and moved into take my flag.

Even if I would have won the artillery in melee mode against there 30 line infantry I still would have lost due to the fact they had maybe one or two units still taking the flag.

Still was right down to the wire. You can see how many chevrons my last guys ended up with when you look at the screens. Amazing the way they fought.

This battle changed my whole outlook about Empire! I know some of the people who play Empire get scared with a battle coming down to the last few men standing but for me this is the only way to play the game.

Every battle should be like this. The AI should react to everything you do. Not one battle have I ever seen like this until I installed Imperial Splendour. Was definitely not prepared and to stay up this late to finish the battle.

I managed the guys quite well in this battle. You can see by the bar on the left side of the screen shots just how out numbered I was.

I will tell you one thing when I seen them charge and then almost every line started running I did not think I even had a chance. I think the cannons scared the enemy so bad they should have just rushed me with everything they had in the middle.

Instead they would rush with two lines and as soon as the cannons fired they would head back to the middle. One time it was so close! They got right in front of the cannons as they fired.

Empire is really awesome as long as CA continues to improve the game. The AI should be extreme when playing on H/H and VH/VH

This campaign is really good. I managed to take Denmark above me and then traded it to Sweden for some nice Tech's and the region just east of Courtland. Wanted this region to launch my attack from both sides on Courtland.

Courtland was hard to knock out as they took east Prussia from me and forced me back to the region by East Prussia that I took from Poland. To keep the battle fair I got Poland to sign a peace treaty and Saxony did nothing for many turns while I pounded down Courtland.

Russia was my ally so I figured I would give them the region right next to the east side of Courtland. maybe they could help. They did and gave me a ton of tech for it.

I have a monopoly on Ivory as I control the Ivory Coast. Normally each turn I would make around 13,000 so I thought I had plenty of funds. I noticed that imperial Spendour raises the prices of building big time. So 13,000 a turn is not enough.

The whole game I have been helping Bolvaria and the Ottomans in their quest to get rid of Poland. I also am helping Hanover with the the war between them and Sweden and many small factions next to them. I might have made a mistake by giving Denmark to the Swedes because they are sending stacks down into Hanover.

This is where my major army was heading when Saxony decided to take advantage and hit me. Portugal has been raiding my trade routes continuously and I tried to do something about it but failed. had a whole stack of ships get destroyed so money was tight.

tried the peace treaty but they think I need a Horse woopin or something like that. When I lost Brandenburg or my capital if not spelled right I lost my trade unless the port in Courtland picks it up.

My next move is to take back my capital with the stacks I moved towards intercepting Sweden. Hanover will just have to hold on until I get my capital back. Once I do this it is pay back time for Saxony.

With most of their troops gone I should be able to take back my capital and then hit there capital with no issues. Then I will move on Sweden in Denmark's region. I have a peace treaty with Sweden and as soon as I attack them they will start blocking my ports and trade routes. there navy is huge so I have no chance with naval.
    Last edited by Lord Leopold; April 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Civis

Default Re: The last ten men standing against Saxony! My ten heroes.Actual proof the game can be fun

This belongs in the AAR section! + Rep and I did rate at 5-Excellent!

Default Re: The last ten men standing against Saxony! My ten heroes.Actual proof the game can be fun

NICE tale! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a big ol' heaping pile of gore left in that courtyard. Eww. It's those moments that make TW games great.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Brilliantly written and presented. I hope other players see this and be encouraged by your gameplay and writing style.

Rep+

Laetus

Stupid question, and off topic: How do you give + rep? Seems like I can give + rep to myself only

wow, great AAR! respect to the brave prussian soldiers and the cannoneers!
    it's truly battles like this one which make this game so magnificent.
    gave me an appetite to dive in for some more of my prussian campaign.

Epic post there! We need more posts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aim View Post
    Stupid question, and off topic: How do you give + rep? Seems like I can give + rep to myself only
    You need to have 25 posts before you can give +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkDreams View Post
    This belongs in the AAR section! + Rep and I did rate at 5-Excellent!
    Probably so I never intended to write a AAR but I guess it turned out that way.
    Last edited by Lord Leopold; April 23, 2009 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks for all the rep! I am about to give Saxony their payback! I have a bad feeling I am going to have to go up against there town militia. I just hope they are not as brave as my guys where. if I do not take my capital back I think I may be bankrupt. My trade was so important.

Does anyone know if you lose the game when you are bankrupt? I have been warned before but always have it fixed the next turn. I will be sure to post new screens if I indeed have another epic battle like this.

I think this was one in about one hundred. Hope not!
    Last edited by Lord Leopold; April 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Civis

No, you wont lose! What happens is your troops start deserting until you get to a managable number which you can afford. It takes a few here and a few there and straightens itself out in a few turns!

Hey all for those of you who love playing Prussia here is some new unit skins that look fantastic here. Just thought I would let you know. I will update here once I begin my fight with Saxony if it is interesting.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239263
    Last edited by Lord Leopold; April 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

I didn't get any screenshots, but once I won a battle where every single last dude of mine DIED except for the general. I won a battle against like two full stacks of ghoorkas and the ONLY PERSON WHO SURVIVED WAS MY GENERAL. My entire stack had been wiped out to the last man except for my ONE GENERAL chasing the fleeing enemies with his saber. He didn't even get a citation for bravery, just one for his horrible casualty rate.

Lol those were some brave men.
    Question: Why didnt you just leave your cannons @ their position in the end?
    Time is on your side on defence.
    Grtz Sebas[NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Sebasv View Post
    I don't see a timerclock anywhere in the screenshots, so it's possible he plays with the time limit off.

Point taken...
    Grtz Sebas[NL]

Hey Bluebonn,

From all the posts & rep, looks like your heroic story has captured the imagination of many ! Well done mate, it was a good one.

Henri
    Kardinal of the Khurch of Kong
    Author of the Official Zombie Handbook - due out in mid-2010
    http://www.ministryofzombies.com/
    http://severedpress.lefora.com/forum...s-and-authors/

caldwell77's Avatar Civis

I have a regiment of Minute Men in RTI that have been through some pretty ugly scrapes. They were my 9th rgt of MM to be raised. Now my MM rgts are numbered in the 20s & 30s and none of the earlier ones are left, but I still always make sure the 9th survives.

I call them the Stalward 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebasv View Post
    Lol those were some brave men.
    Really I did not know there was some men left inside the fort. After reading something last night I found out that units that have the special ability to hide you may not see them. Somewhere in my fort the enemy was hiding but I could not find them.

It had to only be a few. I thought it was a bug because I have had every enemy unit destroyed on the map before and the battle would not end. two battles I lost this way because I could not find the enemy units. I really did not know units with this ability could hide like this until last night.

The reason I moved the cannons after the last 30 or so infantry is because I could not see anyone in the fort area. AI did it well.
    Last edited by Lord Leopold; April 22, 2009 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast