Thread: legions

clone's Avatar Primicerius

Default legions

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Flyboy's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: legions

Nope, those are late 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century imperial legionaries, not used in the time of EB. Besides, the only real difference is the Lorica Segmentata used in that photo. The tactics, equipment, command structure and most armor remained the same for roughly four hundred years after the Marian reforms. EB's legions will look more like these:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Personally I really like the grit in that image. You can see how long the hamata has been used, some is rusted to the bone, some is new, some may be made out of bronze (that rust might be bronze, I don't know). The legionaries wear their gear differently, some having it strapped loose, others tight. It really shows individualism even in the uniformity of armies like this. I hope EB deals with the uniformed units like this, offering as much difference as possible in the consistency of line infantry used by the hellens and romans.

Oh...and also...unless it's backed by extreme historical proof, get rid of the hair on the tops of the standard legionary helmets, because frankly it's kind of ugly.

HBO Rome rocks...
    Last edited by Flyboy; April 21, 2009 at 02:22 PM.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

HBO's Rome was much better than many representations of Legionaries but still not quite right.

Let's just say that the Legionaries will look like a better version of this:

I always wondered about this.

Since I have almost no knowledge about military history I was wondering how close HBO's Rome got to the 'real thing'.

As a society history student I know they are still not as close as they say themselves they are (allthouh a lot closer then your standard Hollywood movie). So I was wondering if it is the same thing with the military aspect.

Cheers.

Flyboy's Avatar Libertus

Rome skips a lot of important events for both Caesar and Augustus. For example Caesars Spanish campaigns after defeating Pompey, and Augustus' quick "war" with Lepidus on Sicily. However for the combat they are dot on, the legionary equipment is practically perfect (though I don't know if they still used the moneforto [spelling] helmet). The formations are also dot on accurate, when defending in formation the romans were almost unstoppable. The one thing I somewhat doubt is if the circulation of the front ranks was actually used. It seams practical, and given the evolution of the Roman army it's pretty likely that they would use an effective tactic like that, but I have yet to find any historical record or backing for it.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Yeah, the helmets are wrong for the time and the rotating formation probably never happened.

Aha, I see.

The rotating seemed a bit... over the top to me when I saw it in the series.

Although I did read somewhere they replaced exhausted troops with fresh ones. But I guessed it where legions and not individual soldiers. The soldiers holding on to the armor of the guy in front of him was something I heard before aswell, but that was to maintain ranks. Not very sure I should believe that though

Cheers.

ps, what type of helm did they use at the time? the gaellic one?

Protector Domesticus

Well, I guess exhausted and/or wounded front-rankers would be shifted to the rear of the formation - during lulls in the fighting when the combatants stood some distance away from each other, panting and glaring. (Given the kinds of timeframes the accounts give for major infantry clashes, it's a given much of the time was spent on something else than intense hand-to-hand combat.)

But I kinda imagine everyone did that by default.

Flyboy's Avatar Libertus

I personally don't see why it can't be used. It seams an effective enough tactic as it is, and even without record I get the impression the Romans probably would have used it. I mean come on, if you conquer Europe and there's gotta be a few tricks up your sleeve. However without backing I don't think it should have been used in the series, even if it's a more than plausible assumption.

Protector Domesticus

The main thing up the Romans' sleeves was resources. As in, We Have Reserves.

Although, figuring out good enough industrial and economic base to be able to kit out most or all of your line infantry with gear that rivaled most neighbours' elite warriors didn't hurt.