Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you change a faction's color?

Welshman25's Avatar Centenarius

Default Can you change a faction's color?

Title says it all...

Default Re: Can you change a faction's color?

Yes. There are a bunch of colors in the factions db (called Rn, Gn, Bn). The second set is the color of the titlebar for popups in warscape.
    The fifth set is the main color of the uniforms in warscape.
    Other sets might be for republic?

Campaign colors are in the startpos.esf file and/or savegames. Go to CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME\CAMPAIGN_ENV\CAMPAIGN_MODEL\WORLD\FACTION_ARRAY\FACTION_ARRAY\FACTION\FACTION_FLAG_AND_COLOURS
    There are 9 byte values, the first 3 are RGB for your units on the map, the color for the popups and city names.
    After your government is a republic you get new colors, these are in the second set of faction_flag_and_colours.

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post
    Yes. There are a bunch of colors in the factions db (called Rn, Gn, Bn). The second set is the color of the titlebar for popups in warscape.

Campaign colors are in the startpos.esf file and/or savegames. Go to CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME\CAMPAIGN_ENV\CAMPAIGN_MODEL\WORLD\FACTION_ARRAY\FACTION_ARRAY\FACTION\FACTION_FLAG_AND_COLOURS
    There are 9 byte values, the first 3 are RGB for your units on the map, the color for the popups and city names.
    After your government is a republic you get new colors, these are in the second set of faction_flag_and_colours.
    Ok thanks I found the faction flag and colours directory. I am wanting to make it so that when Prussia becomes a republic their faction color changes to black. How do I do this? Like how do I know which numbers correspond to which colors?

Open a graphics editor (like Paint from Windows) and go to the color selector, you can usually pick a color with a combination of a grid and a slider, and see the values for red, green and blue as 3 numbers of 0 to 255.

Oh ok thanks!

I edited the faction flags and colours in the prussia republic in startpos.esf (changed the prussian blue values to black). When I tested it, the campaign map units and icons were black, but when I entered a battle the uniforms were still prussian blue. Is there something else I need to change?

Quote Originally Posted by just View Post

Isn't the fifth set the main uniform colors of the prussian monarchy? I am trying to keep the blue for the prussian monarchy and change the blue to black for the prussian republic.

EDIT: The fifth set is the uniforms for prussian monarchy. I'm messing around with the other color sets right now. The sixth set is the unit card colors for the republic. That's all I've got so far.
    Last edited by Welshman25; April 20, 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Ok, I messed around with the different colors in the factions db and I the fifth RGB has the color for the uniforms and unit cards of the prussian monarchy. I changed the color for this to black and the unit cards and the unit uniforms were black in the game.

I changed the sixth RGB to black color and it changed the unit card color for prussian republic to black (this is what I want) but DID NOT change the uniforms for the prussian republic units.

I thought because of the unit card color change for the republic meant that the 6th RGB was the same as the 5th except that if effected the republic. But the 5th row color change effected the unit cards AND the units while the 6th card ONLY effected the unit cards.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm not sure the 6th color set is effecting the unit cards.
    Last edited by Welshman25; April 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Anybody know why the uniform color won't change?

I messed around with the color sets for a while and the only way I could get the republic's uniforms to change was changing the 5th color set in the factions db. However, this also changed the monarchy's uniforms.

All the startpos.esf monarchy colors are set to blue and all republic colors are set to black. All faction color sets (including 7) are set to black.

I want to change the color for the republic, but not the monarchy (using Prussia, I want the monarchy to remain Prussian blue, but the republic to change to black: blue uniforms with the german flag don't match very well).

All other faction color aspects (mousover menus in battles, unit cards, map region colors, etc.) are changing to black for the republic and staying blue for the monarchy; the uniforms in battle seem to be the only problem.

Anyone know how to get the uniforms to be one color for the republic and another for the monarchy?

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman25 View Post
    I messed around with the color sets for a while and the only way I could get the republic's uniforms to change was changing the 5th color set in the factions db. However, this also changed the monarchy's uniforms.

All the startpos.esf monarchy colors are set to blue and all republic colors are set to black. All faction color sets (including 7) are set to black.

I want to change the color for the republic, but not the monarchy (using Prussia, I want the monarchy to remain Prussian blue, but the republic to change to black: blue uniforms with the german flag don't match very well).

All other faction color aspects (mousover menus in battles, unit cards, map region colors, etc.) are changing to black for the republic and staying blue for the monarchy; the uniforms in battle seem to be the only problem.

Anyone know how to get the uniforms to be one color for the republic and another for the monarchy?
    Well, the not-fun way to do it would be to make a second set of the textures for the republic. Delete all the stuff in the gloss file for those and then color the uniform texture yourself. It'd better to do it via the db, of course...

So are you saying I should clone the prussia row in factions db, but rename it prussia_republic and change the colors to black?

Welshman25
    also you can change by file pack manager in file patch.pack

db / factions

find your country and change r5 g5 b5

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

AFAIK you can't change the colors of a single faction between republic and monarchy, only the flag.

Unless there's some examples of being able to do that already in the game, I would guess it's not possible.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman25 View Post
    So are you saying I should clone the prussia row in factions db, but rename it prussia_republic and change the colors to black?
    Sadly it's more tedious than that. Essentially, you clone your army. E.g. one set contains euro_line_infantry_prussia and the other contains euro_line_infantry_prussia_republic. You restrict each unit by government type in units_to_government_type_permissions table. The original set will remain unchanged--it will use the R5 G5 B5 colors. Then it gets fun: copy all the diffuse textures in set one and manually change them to match the new national colors. You'd also have to delete everything in the corresponding gloss file.

It'd be a pain in the ass, but you could do it that way.

You also need to set the changes (I forgot in what DB file this happens) so that when you do have a revolution all units of the old type automatically get converted to the right type (or die if you don't want those traitors in your army)

It's units_conversions or something like that.

Since the AI never seems to have revolutions and I only want this color change really for my prussian republican campaign, I guess I can do this:

1. Leave the original patch.pack factions db Prussian colors as the original blue
    2. Extract the factions db and create a new patch format pack; add the extracted factions db to the pack
    3. Change the colors in the pack to black
    4. Save the pack, but not in my data directory.
    5. Start game as Prussia monarchy
    6. After I have a revolution and change to a republic, I can save the game and exit, put my pack in the data directory, and restart empire. Then, when I am finished with my prussian campaign, just take the pack out of the data directory since the AI prussia probably won't change to republic during a campaign as another faction

I'll test this in just a minute to be sure it works.

Thanks for all the help guys, I just have been doing tedious modding work (learning to create a new unit) for a while and really wanna just play the game

My pack method works! Btw the new pack needs to be a MOVIE format pack not a pack format pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast