Thread: [AAR] RTW: Eagle Stenched in Blood

Kátz's Avatar Senator

Default [AAR] RTW: Eagle Stenched in Blood

Author: Praetorian Quintus
    Original Thread: [RTW AAR] Eagle stenched in blood

Eagle Stenched in BloodChapter 1

The long walk to the Senate was overbearing. In the heat of day it was like walking into the fires of Hades. The streets were lined with children, splashing water on each other to keep cool. Dogs panted in agony, trying to find some shade. Those too old to be out were in playing games and those too young, such as small children, were cooling off in houses.

I could not find any comfort in cool shade. I was summoned to the Senate regarding an important matter. My name is Marcus Tiberius Quintus of the Quintus family. My families history has been limited to a few centurions in the army, but nothing more. This summons surprised me, and honestly, I found it unnerving.

As I walk my mind is lost in thought. What business does the Senate wish with me? At this moment nothing seems clear. I walk on, passing the brick-ladden road. Shops are lined up in either direction as merchants sell everything from, cloth to women. I pause to splash some water from a small pond too cool off a bit. My formal toga was a bit warm, and uncomfortable too.

After what seems like hours of walking, I finally reach the Senate. I see all around me men dressed in fine clothing and purple sashes. It portrays a starch contrast too those too poor to even afford shirts. Poor beggars, I think too myself. I didn't care about their pathetic lives. Just soldiers in my opinion.

My mind is jolted back on track as I am beckoned up the steps by an old man. I walk inside and see only five men besides myself. One of whom I instantly recognize as my father. At this, my heart races and I instantly know what is happening. I didn't think it possible but..

A man steps forward. I think his name is Gaius. He has an expression of utmost boredom on his face and it seems as though the scroll he caries is not one that has an illustrious speech on it. He eyes me with contempt, as if I where a nuisance that was only a side-show for his entertainment.

My father on the other hand, wore the face of the most proud father in the city. I wished to greet him, but he merely nodded and I saluted back. He was after all a centurion, while I was only barely done with basic training. Something I took care to remember in front of this illustrious crowd or so to speak.

The senator cleared his throat. " Quintus, you are hereby summoned by the senate to take upon the command of the Legio 4 Britannia. You are not promoted to general. We only need someone capable of holding position until someone of better value can take over. Do you understand?"

The idea was simple enough. I was a scapegoat in the ploy to find a new general for an army. " I am to be a captain then?" I ask. It was obvious that the answer was nothing but certain. In fact, I would have been surprised if anything else was given.

" Yes, you are to be a captain and will receive a standard captains pay. In regards to your pay,you will be charged with bringing the Britannians down to their knees. Be warned though, you will not receive any reinforcements and thus will have to rely on your so-called ' tactical intuition ' to be successful."

I simply nod, accepting the fate given to me. " And when do I eave?"

" Tomorrow. However, I must let you know this: The fourth legion will be made of five thousand men rather than the standard ten thousand. Survive, until your position is taken over, or until you die." He added those words with a small smile on his lips. I clenched my fists and tried my best not to strangle the fat old fool on the spot.

" You will be able to choose your landing point. Note, the northern tribe is friendly to Rome, however, the journey there is perilous as you will either have to march through Gallic territory, or sail through the Mediterranean and the pirates."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2

The air was cold and the snow was wet. In the forest, not one thing could be seen for a league in front of my eyes, as I walked on with my men. The army I was given was nothing better than raw recruits. Some of them looked like they belonged in the stables, and others were questionably able to hold their shields as they marched along. My infantry was decent if at best, whilst my missiles were of the worst quality imaginable. I had some pride in my cavalry. However, at less then thirty strong, I had doubts at their effectiveness.

We had not reached the Alps yet, and I suspected that was the reason for the quite around us. I turned around to look at my men, and in doing so saw the exhaustion on their faces. " Take a breather, lads." I say to them. Immediately their faces look to the heavens and they sit where they are, groaning form aching knees.

I have time to think to myself now. I was still very uncomfortable with this commanding role, and what's worse, I had no idea what to do. My orders were simple enough, get to Britannia and quell the small rebellion, but I had no idea what to do of the other rebellious peoples I would encounter as I passed them by. There was little doubt they would simply let me pass through their lands, only an idiot would think it would be possible.

After the meals are eaten, I had a very nice hare stew if I may say so myself, we march on. I am at the head of the column and am lost in thought. I casually glance about myself, as I am often to do at the extreme disappointment of my father. I notice something odd about the terrain ahead. It is flattened whilst the road we are on now is bumpy and set loose by tree roots. " Take care men, this is dangerous ahead." I shout back to them. I wanted to do anything to get by this road, but no diverting one could be found.

We finally get half way through, when I spot something even more peculiar, I see an eagle standard stuck in ground not far off to the right. I glance at a cavalry man and say to him," Soldier, go retrieve that eagle and tell me of it's origin." He rides off and quickly picks it up. After reading the legionry sign he shouts back to me, " It's of the ninth legion sir!".what is going on here? The ninth legion was fully functional only two days ago. I was guaranteed a meeting for a relay but now it seems like they are not here. No, maybe they lost their standard." Very well, take it with you and we shall return it to them if we should pass them by.

For the rest of the day nothing more seems to happen to us, and I decide to rest my men for the evening. After my tent is set up I walk in and immediately breathe a sigh of relief. My home away from home is nothing illustrious. A few stools here, a table their, a cot on the floor. The only thing that separated it from the others was the guards standing outside. I walk out intending to observe my so-called men and their condition. I must say I found the staring a bit unsetting, but then I realized, I was a bit of a standout with my captains uniform. I sit next to a group warming their hands by the fire, and try to stir up some form of conversation. " Soldier, what do you think of this assignment we have been given? " I ask a boy no less older than sixteen besides me.

" I don't know sir. My family tells me that I have to serve in the army, 'cause no one has any money to begin with. I hate it, and that's the honest truth. Why should we endanger ourselves for some outrageous belief of 'glory'?" At this the others, nod their heads and some mumble their agreements. I see, they're worse off than I thought.I keep my silence and stare into the dancing flames.

" Uhh, sir?" The boy pipes up. His voice brings me back and I shake my head trying to remember what it was I was thinking of. "m-Yes, what is it?" I answer back in an obviously unconcentrated tone.

" Sir, I don't mean to press, but some of the men have spoken of rebel tribes in the area. What should we do if we expect to pass them?". Once again I found myself deep in thought as the options race through my head. There is no need to fight them unnecessarily, but then again they are enemies of the Republic.

" I do not know, maybe in the next few days we will receive some sort of sign of what to do." Just as soon as I finish that word, that I see a man riding towards the camp with the crest of the Senate upon him. He rides up to me and salutes.

" Are you Marcus Tiberius Quintus?" He asks me in a less than cordial tone.

" Aye, I am and you are?" I respond.

" You are hereby ordered to assault a rebel army in the Southern Gallic area, The ninth legion was sent but was decimated by them. They shall meet with you and you will, with the ninth, eradicate those rebels." He says to me in a completely authoritative tone.

" As the Senate wishes." I bow to him. He smirks at me and turns away and rides off. At that, another group walks in the camp. I guessed that this was the ' remnant ' of the ninth. I guessed at best maybe six hundred were here and they were all bloody and beaten. Some of them were missing eyes, whilst others were nursing arrow wounds.

One walks up to me and I recognize that obviously this was a centurion. " Are you the captain of this legion?" He asks me in a hoarse voice. Obviously he had nothing to eat for days.

" I am, are you the leader of this one here?" I ask in a completely conversative tone. He simply nods at my question and I pause, but continue to go on. " I trust you have received information about our orders?". Once again he simply nods. " Very well then go tell your men to rest and we shall deal with them when we can. By the way, can you tell us anything about their whereabouts?"

" They are on the other side of the Alps, however, I imagine that they would cross to raid the cities up here unless we were able to go through them and attack them."

" Why not go around?"

" It would take days to do so, and no guarantee that they would be there when we get there."

" I see, dismissed, and integrate your units into my own, I will not have any depleted units in my army." He nods and walks off. A strange fellow. I think to myself. However he does have a point about the Alps. I can't go over without risk to my men, and I can't go around without risk to the cities here.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3

All the men in the camp were prepared to march. Seeing the need to fight the potential threat of the barbarian horde, I decided to risk a trek over the Alps to hit them head on. Of course worries about the terrain hid in the back of my head, but I couldn't change my mind now that we were ready to go. All the supplies were tied on tightly to spare horses, and the men were told to march in columns four wide and sixteen deep per cohort.

At the first day all seemed well and I thought myself clever for doing this. Imagine the faces of the Senate chambers when they here the captain has crossed the Alps. It would shock them into thinking it was Hannibal? I smiled to myself at that notion. Yes all did seem well and for all the worry about mountain tribes nothing was seen or even whispered about them.

Then the second day came. We woke to a blizzard and to make matters worse we had to send scouts ahead and back for an agonizing four hours to know where we were even going. Some men foolishly trekking about fell off the mountainside and others died of hypothermia. At night the sounds of shivering and coughing mixed with the splurting of blood from overcome lungs was agonizing. By the third day we discovered that of the five thousand men we had started with, six hundred had died by the time we saw the valley below and luckily the barbarian horde.

What I thought was the horde, at least turned out to be the largest army I had ever seen. From right to left it extended across the valley. I could see that it was maybe five maniples long and I could see no cavalry in all those men. I look to my right to see the centurion smirking to himself. " Why are you smiling? We haven't won yet." I say to him. I didn't like overconfidence and in this situation I didn't want my men thinking of such things either.

By the time we had reached the small valley bellow our situation was even worse. Apparently the valley was wide at the birth of the hillside where it started. But, where we were the valley shortened up creating a virtual bottleneck. I hoped to take advantage of this in the upcoming battle. However since this army was a cheap one and I had a surplus of archers I had to figure a way to defend them. With only 10 cohorts I could maybe spare one to defend them. Another thing I could use is the forest to my right. If I could hide my bodyguard there and my archers I could really pulverize my enemies right flank.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4

The morning fog was a bit unsettling as the day began. I had decided to hide my archers and what cavalry I had in the forest to my right on the slope of the Alps. My hopes were that they could run up the flank and hopefully destroy the horde. A very large and uncoordinated force ready to pounce.

From what I saw yesterday, It seemed they had little cavalry, but then I saw them return, and I realized they were probably grazing their horses. I thanked the gods, I didn't make a mistake and attack recklessly. The horde lined up in a line as long as the pass could allow. Since the valley narrowed near where my line was I was sure I wouldn't be outflanked.

Men bustled and moved about, setting up defences. Some Scorpions were built and a few men took position behind them ready to fire as soon as the enemy came into range. My horses were under strick orders not to attack until the signal was given. When the last enemy passed the begining of the forest on the right they were to wait until the enemy was fully engaged before attacking their right left flank. The archers would fire volleys before the charge hopefully softening up the flank.

" Cohorts ready sir." A centurion said to me. " You had better get to the men in the forest." He was right I supposed. My original plan was to go there and give some last minute instructions. But upon seeing the grim faces of the soldiers, I shook my head.

" No, the men need me here. Here". I handed him a scroll of parchment," Take this to the cavalry captain and tell him to not strike until that signal is given understood?" The soldier nodded and saluted and immediately ran towards the end. " Wait!" I shouted. He skidded to a stop and looked back. " Tell the archers to use normal arrows!" I shouted. He nodded and continued running.

I dismounted and took a shield handed to me by a soldier. I decided now was the best time for a speech. " Men! Before you stands the armies of the Gauls. They have never fought me before! I hope to give them a taste of what we can do before the day is over. They have a huge advantage in numbers, but we have the better position. Our scorpions will need to hit their marks for us to win and our cavalry needs to help us on time. Remember, that they know your reputations as legionnaires of Rome better than you know of their ancestors raid on Rome! So let your cry be ' Victory! Victory and Honour to Rome!" The men gave a whelp of approval and then we heard the battle horns.

A slow, thunderous thudding was heard. The footsteps of many men caused this storm and I looked behind me to the Scorpions. They signaled that they could see the enemy and were preparing to fire. Then we heard the twang of the Scorpions as they fired into the ranks of the approaching force. We heard screams of pan through the thunder and the men roared with approval. Then out of the fog came the first attack. These men were barely armoured at all and had a shield and spear for defence.

" Pila!" I shouted. Every soldier threw the short spear into the ranks of the advancing men, only a few paces away. When they were not twenty feet away they threw the heavier spear, and many more fell. Finally, the wave smashed upon the cohorts but the line held. However, slowly the line was buckling. I was in the middle of it all rallying men to fight, cutting down attackers and I managed to look to the right flank and saw the arrows fell many. Then the cavalry charged. Soon the enemies left flank rolled up and they were cut off on three sides. The valley to their right, the men before them and the flank rolled up on their left. Unfortunately I couldn't complete the encirclement as I had to few men. Soon the army routed and ran for the hills. My cavalry kept up the pursuit and felled many.

When they returned, they gave news the enemy general, Captain Vercingetorix was felled. That night we feasted upon wild game and celebrated our first victory. We were glad our first news to Rome would be a victory. Now the decision rested upon when to leave.

Chapter 5

The men were tired and were glad when I told them we were going to set up a fort for the winter. By now the captain came back with news of the casualties. Apparently, I had lost about one thousand of my original five thousand and was now around four thousand strong. My cavalry had not suffered any casualties and I was thankful for that.

" Watch out!". A voice shouted. A log which was being raised by two men had slipped from their grips and had crushed an unsuspecting soldier urinating underneath it. I rushed over there to inspect the damage. Sure enough I saw the poor man trying to gasp for air. No doubt the log on his chest proved to difficult to raise his chest for air.

" Someone pull this log of him now!!" I shouted. Five Triarii's came and rolled it off his body. He tried to sit up, but he began to cough up blood. Many turned their faces in disgust and I felt bad for this. Idiots! How can they do this? By this time next month we'll all be dead because of these 'accidents'!

As the soldier was carried off I saw a strange sight in the distance. I believe it was another legion passing through. From behind me the centurion that had caused me some minor discomfort said in a low voice," That'd be our army."

I looked at him in shock as he smiled. Now what was transpiring had hit me. This was a rebel legion ready to march on the capital. I look around me and see that most of my men are still building, but a group of about 200 or so were standing off to the side hiding what I guessed to be gladius's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to defeat the rebel legion, but if you cause too much attention, more than not the depleted cohort that belongs to the enemy may kill everyone.

Chapter 6

I had moments to spare, the centurion was too distracted by his army coming. I looked to my right and left and saw that some men were chopping firewood with some axes they had picked up on the battlefield. If I could get their attention I may be able to rally the men to me.

I waited for a minute collecting myself and then shouted with force, " Legions of Rome, enemies approach! Battle order! Kill the Tenth!". Luckily for me the centurion was shocked and I had the sense to pull his gladius out from his hand and I rammed it through him. Then an overall brawl erupted in the camp. Slowly we killed the 'last' 600 and as soon as I saw that we had triumphed over the immediate threat, I yelled to the men," We must stop that legion from attacking the empire! Form ranks and march out to meet them!".

The men had no time to cheer, they just ran to their positions and we marched out of the fort. I saw that the army was coming straight towards us. A captain rode up besides me and said to me," Sir, it looks as though they have a standard legion with them, ten thousand strong." I nodded in thought. This is going to be hard. Not only do they hold every advantage, they have a slight height advantage as well.

The cohorts lined up into two lines with fifteen hundred men each, and the archers at five hundred took positions in front. The ballista unit I had set up on a small mound to fire at the enemy from afar. At least I held one advantage. The cavalry was on the right flank, and from the view away it looked as if the enemy had a slightly smaller, but more equipped cavalry force. Once again the captain said to me," Praetorians."

" I know, tell the ballistas to target them." He nodded and shouted to the crewmen," Take out those praetorians!". In a minute they were launching bolts, and logs taken off the fort at the praetorians, but they stood their ground. In the distance, I heard a horn. It was a signal to advance. The massive line of infantry came towards us and I waited for the worst.

As the enemy drew nearer the archers began to loose their arrows upon the ranks of the infantry. When I saw the enemies legions forming testudo's I shouted, " Hold your fire! Wait for them to break out!". So now the men, even more slower, came within fifty feet of the archers. " Archers, pull back!" I shouted, and they ran between the gaps in the cohorts. The ballista was doing really well, as the slow moving testudo only amplified the potential damage it could do. I saw that two cohorts had already been decimated by the siege weapon. Maybe I could win this after all.

Then I saw the cavalry charging toward my right flank. I rode their and sounded the charge. The elites of Rome, the praetorians, and my newly recruited cavalry clashed with force. Right away the praetorians had the advantage, but I counted on the cavalry stopping them. " Archers fire into the cavalry!" shouted the captain. soon arrows pierced the praetorian's horse, who were not as well protected as their masters. In a matter of minutes the cavalry routed.

I looked back to see the two infantry forces engaged. Remarkably the first line was holding well, and the enemy seeing that the battle was going horribly wrong sent in the rest of his cohorts. I saw now that the men were being pushed back. Once again the captain was insightful enough to order the second line to advance, but not before loosing some pila at the enemy.

I saw now two options, the enemy general and his bodyguard were open to attack, however a cavalry charge on the enemies left flank may break the tired men there.

I was ready to take the enemy's general out of the battle, but a second look back at the infantry revealed to me that now the men were being pushed near to breaking. " Cavalry, form up. Charge!", I shouted and we smashed into their left flank. Immediately, the newer soldiers I saw before me broke rank and ran for their lives. The veterans fought with courage, but the momentum of our charge was too much, and after nearly twenty seconds of fighting they fled too.

We continued our momentum and, aided by the remnants of the right flank, we rolled up their flank. With each routing unit came the certainty of victory. Soon I saw the enemy general charging our own left flank hoping to create a dual rolling. But, as the charge went in a pila hit him square in the chest and he fell off his horse. I turned about on my steed, looking for an opportunity to strike.

I noticed a routing band of cohorts, and I rode to them. " Don't run! We have the advantage now! Come, brothers. Let us grasp the glory that is given to us this day!". They stopped and turned back to follow my charge into the rear of the enemy. At that point, it was just a tedious fight till all were dead.

The on-field report stated that we had lost a staggering amount of men in the fight. Most from the first line I had used to absorb the force of the enemy. This was a problem; if we didn't receive reinforcements soon we would have no chance to get to Britannia in the middle of Gallic territory.

I decided to put it off for now, and the men and I celebrated our decisive victory with drink and game. However, I wasn't very sociable. I had never been, and I had trouble being as political as some of the more ' illustrious' generals of Rome. At my father's dinner's I was at most time thinking to myself or reading Polybius's accounts on early Rome.

Well enough, though, the men enjoyed this about me. They thought I was planning our next move and thus was to be respected. I was planning that at the moment yes, but it doesn't hurt to have reputation. I called for a more detailed report of casualties and the report came back as so:

Legionary Cohorts: 500 in 4 cohorts of 125 men.

1st Cohort: 125 men, 50 casualties, 10 wounded, 65 able to march

2nd Cohort: 125 men, 35 casualties, 40 wounded, 45 able to march

3rd Cohort: 125 men, 20 casualties, 43 wounded, 62 able to march

4th Cohort: 125 emn, 50 casualties, 22 wounded, 43 albe to march

Auxiliary units : Spearmen

600 men in 3 units of 200 men

1st unit: 200 men, 50 casualties, no wounded, 150 able to march

2nd unit: 200 men, 100 casualties, 10 wounded, 90 able to march

3rd unit: 200 men, 150 casualties, no wounded, 50 albe to march

Auxiliary units: Archers

1500 men in 10 units of 150

total casualties 900, 250 wounded, able to march : 450

Heavy Cavalry: 900 men in units of
    6 of 150

1st: 30 casualties, 20 wounded, 100 able to march

2nd: 40 casualties, no wounded, 110 able to march

3rd: 50 casualties, 55 wounded, 45 able to march

4th: 20 casualties, 48 wounded, 89 able to march

5th: No casualties sustained, 150 able to march

5th: 125 casualties, no wounded, 25 able to march./ suggestion is to merge 5th with 4th unit.

6th: 50 casualties, no wounded, 100 able to march.

Light Cavalry units completely eradicated. Suspected Casualties: 500

The report didn't include the onager crew, but it hadn't suffered any sort of casualties at all. And in fact when we had the enemy tightly horded, they were able to help mow them down.

As it stands now I had to get reinforcements and soon.

I could delay the march and send word to the senate for reinforcements, but that could take months to happen and in a year's time I my get only half of what I request.

Another option was mercenaries, but they weren't very reliable and who knows what the could do when our guards are down.

After a long night of meditating on the decision, I woke the next day and immeadietly sent for a messenger boy. " Run this to the Senate as fast as you can, speed is of the essence." I said to him. He saluted then ran out and as I emerged from my tent, I saw him mount a horse and ride off as quickly as the steed would take him.

It would take him maybe three days of hard riding to reach Rome, and a week more for the decision to reach me. If I could not receive ample reinforcements, then I would have to recruit the local mercenaries unwillingly. I hated the idea, since most auxiliary units weren't as disciplined as the legions, but I had to work with what was given to me.

The men spent the days drilling formations and I added some personally thought up ones as well. This was a new experience for me so I tried my best to implicate strategies that were defensive rather than the standard which was more offense based. In my first plan, the men deployed in split groups and faced inwards towards each other. I then, deployed the cavalry in the center and the archers on the flanks. Using this formation, I would be able to present a strong flank, but my cavalry would more then not be vulnerable in the center. Hopefully my opponents would think the same and then charge headlong into the trap, which then would be cut off by my infantry on the flanks and my archers would rain death upon them from the rear. My cavalry would combine hit and run tactics to win the day.

Another one called for my men to form into three lines of varying depth. The first was to be 4 men by 40 men per cohort, the second line would set up in 5 men by 16 men per cohort, then the last would be set up in 10 men by 8 men. My cavalry would set behind the third line with archers on flanks in deep collumns. The idea was to present a solid front that could be reinforced when necessary, and if not then the other two lines could easily maneuver wherever necessary. The archers would make use to harrass infantry as they neared or even cavalry if they tried to flank me. The important piece of this was my cavalry. Since I had a low number of cavalry then I would have to use them sparingly and for the decisive blow.

The day passed without anything of importance, though we did hold a fine hunt which a centurion one by capturing a nice deer. We ate heartily, though the troubling thought of how I was to act now was on my mind. The end of the week came through and the men learned my two tactics to perfection and even were able to improve upon it. I was watching them perform a variation of it where the cavalry advances forward in the first strategum to draw the enemy to the center. I liked it and as I was about to go to congratulate the men someone shouted, " Look!".

I turned around to see the same messenger boy I sent running with a scroll. I didn't like this one bit. If a force was coming why not send it? The boy finally came before me and out of breath struggled to speak. " Rest first, then tell me." I said to him. He tried to mouth some thanks but couldn't. After three minutes of waiting he drew his breath in and said to me," Sir, the Senate wishes you to read this."

I took the scroll from his hand and opened it and began to read what was listed as follows:

Captain Marcus Tiberius Quintus

The Senate and Emperor has listened to your petition of reinforcements to your force. The Emperor would like to congratulate you on your many fought and won battles. However, we are at a stretch for men, and so we must ask you to do without reinforcements from the empire. You may recruit mercenaries and take what time you need to train them. However, no reinforcements will be sent to you until a months time by which we expect you to be in Britannia.

Senator Quibius Maximus

I slammed the scroll on the floor and cursed so loud that some men turned to stare. Damn those idiots! Do they know how much in need of Romans we are?! Well if I was to try and replenish the army I would have to recruit some of those damned mercenaries. But I knew I would regret it. Though I could just do without them.

The air smelled of filth and blood as I walked into the village. We had been marching for several days in search of mercenaries but few would answer our calls. The few that did, however, were only light skirmishers and a few heavy spearmen. This helped, but I longed for some Celtic calvary to help even out the overportioned army I had. This village was said to be of the best horsemen in Gaul and I hoped the simple pleasure of razing cities to the ground would be enough to sway them to join the Roman Legion.

Beside me were two legionnaries who kept close to me at all times. No one knows how this meeting would go. These barbarians could be your dearest friend the first and the next your most hated enemy. I had to be cautious. As I approached the center of the town, I noticed the dome-shaped huts surrounding the center of town where a massive wooden fort stood. Unlike other cities, this one had it's defenses within another defences. I admired the tenacity of these people and wished no harm would come to this imposing monument to their strength while I lived.

Soon we approached a watchtower and our guide said something to the barbarian at the top and the guard responded by pressing his battle horn to his lips and gave forth a loud and frightening blast. The men beside me clapped their hands to their ears and I merely winced in pain for a moment. I couldn't afford to show weakness to these insects. Not if I needed their help.

We were lead into the structure and I saw how well defended this city could be if attacked. The 'soldiers' as they were, seemed to be equipped with chain mail and even some sturdy shields. They had their famous long-swords and a few gladius's that they most likely received by raiding Roman Columns or by trade with the Iberians in the Spanish Provinces. The spearmen looked to be the least experienced out of all of them and yet they seemed to be the most fearsome. Their war cries made me even shudder at their ferocity.

As I kept walking a tower was approaching and I saw a man looking out from it. He was wearing a helmet with a widespread eagle on top of it and a large cloak around his shoulders. I could only assume that this was the warlord of the village. Though it seemed to rival Rome in her greatness. Rome has her imposing beauty. But the simplicity of this town and her sturdy defences made this Gaul's Rome. Not since Alexia had been burned down by Caesar had I known of a greater beauty untamed.

" I must ask your men to stay outside, warlord of Rome." Our guide ordered as he turned to stop our advance.

" Of course, I don't want to be rude to your most gracious warlord", I responded with a deep bow and motioned to my men to stay at attention till I returned.

Now the guide and I continued our steps into the tower. The climb up the ladders was agonizingly long, but eventually we reached the upper rampart. Before me I saw how truly magnificent this warlord was. His scars on his face suggested a lifetime of war, and yet his eyes showed the kindness only gentle grandfathers of Greece know. But in those eyes was a fierceness that showed he was no fool. Surely I must be careful with this one.

I bowed deeply as I had outside and began to lavish the warlord with praise. " O mighty warlord of Gaul, I come to humbly ask your cooperation with the kingdom of Rome. I have heard that you have beaten back the best legions commanded by the best commanders. I ask that we look to the present and not the past, as a day of reconciliation for what has transpired betweent us. I humbly ask your sword and your cavalry to help me crush the rebels in Britannia. Your word is just and your voice fair and I shall accept whatever course of action you choose to take."

The warlord was silent for a long time. Sometimes I thought he was sleeping; his eyes were closed for so long. But he opened them after a while and opened his mouth. The words showed that this man rarely spoke unless it was profitable to speak at all.

" General of Rome", he began in a weak voice. But as he continued it grew stronger. " When I was a boy a man by the name of Caesar came through here like the mighty boar and wiped out Vercingetorix and his alliance of tribes. I as a prince was in no position to join or leave the alliance. My father Hermanious as he was named by the Romans was a fool for opposing that man and he payed the price with his life. As for myself I was humiliated in front of my people by having to beg for mercy.

My family comes from a line of warriors that fought off the great general of Macedon. We fought with Hannibal and put fear into your Roman minds. We sacked Rome when it was founded by kings of your tribes. We saw what you were and yet knew what you would become. For our seers and druids saw something that our wisest men could not see. They saw Rome as an eagle rising above the clouds. The clouds held banners of Carthage, of Epiros, and of even Gaul. But the seers did not explain that this would mean Gauls end too. They explained that we would be friends and that we should not be afraid. You see how wrong they were. Remember that gods are not to be trusted in matters of war. Nor are men of your senate. They think of themselves and only themselves.

You ask my help, yet I am surprised you did not demand this. Others have come demanding by Roman Law I join. Yet when I refuse they attack and are slaughtered by my warriors. These men know no fear and pain is only a distant memory to them. They are fierce like the boar and calm as the dear. They have defended our home for years and have passed their wisdom on to the new saplings that will replace them when they are ready to spend their lives with their families. I do not know why but I see something in you, general. Therefore I shall bestow upon you three hundred of my finest cavalry and five hundred of my heavy spearmen. I cannot give more for I must think of my cities defence. Also I require that we be given Roman Status and shall not pay taxes like other provinces do. I shall be the governor of this city and will tax accordingly keeping a twenty five percent cut of the revenue. What say you general of Rome?"

This man was shrewd. He not only accepted my plea but also made it a situation that he could use to become Romanized and yet keep his position. The scroll from the Senate said nothing of this and I had to act quickly. I don't think the senate would mind. Besides, this city deserves to be of Rome. Yes this is the right course of action.

I extended my hand and said. " Then it is decided then. My name is Marcus Tiberius Quintus friend."

" Fritigernd of the Verini" The warlord said in a gentle voice.

The past few weeks were filled with planning our route. Fritigernd wanted to pass through Germania but I pointed out that route was too risky to our force of 10,000 men now. Thanks to his reinforcements we finally had a force that could contend with most tribes in the area. Looking at the map I saw the areas of Western Gaul.

" Why don't we head through here? We can quell the recent rebellions in the area and all the while your men can loot what we conquer."

Fritigernd looked at the map with deep thought. " Yes, that would be better than Germania. I fear my men aren't ready for those monsters yet."

" Nor mine", I said to him," We will march along the southern coast and recapture these settlements, we will have to leave men behind as a garrison and by the time we turn north to capture the coastal settlements there I fear we may be severely depleted."

" No matter, general. My men fight with the fierceness of a thousand boars." Fritigernd joked.

We set up our logistics and in the next week we had a supply line set up. As we prepared to move out my legion took the head while Fritigernd and the allied auxilia took the rear position. His cavalry guarded the flanks and we headed out to the first city. I sent a report to Rome and told them that we would head through the area quelling barbarian rebels while heading north. I couldn't wait for a reply so I went on with my venture.

The first city to fall was Narbo Martius. It had a weak garrison, and the sight of my siege towers was enough to make them surrender on the spot. Besides the usual tribute, they offeed up what equalled a standard cohort in men, some 80 men who were skilled in light infantry affairs. I left 200 men as a garrison and after repairs were made, we set out again.

We then came to Marsillius, and the defenders there were much harder to break. Their shield walls held firm against Fritigernds men and only a decisive charge by my bodyguard into their rear flank saved a rout of his men. once again we repaired the settlement left 600 men to serve as a garrison.

Now we reached the western coast and headed north. We came upon an army of four thousand men, a coalition of forces by the northern coast sent to defeat us. Unfortunately they had no cavalry and I simply surprised them by attacking early in the morning one day as they slept. The men were surrounded before they knew it and slaughtered. I didn't bother with the formalities and to teach the area a lesson I burned everything in sight on my way up the coast.

Within three weeks time we reached the Northern Coast of Gaul, a sight many of my weakened men were thankfull to see. During my campaign I had lost some three thousand men to battle and another two thousand were garrisoned around the coast's. With Fritigernd's thousand leftover, my overall force looked to be about six thousand strong all veterans. Now we waited for the ferries to take us to Britannia. Once there all we had to do was wait.

Brittania was a strange and foreign land. No roman legion had set foot on this land since Caesar and his legions nearly a decade ago. We were here now to finish what he started. Soon all of Britannia would be hours.

My men were weary from a forced march through Gaul and so it was determined by my subordinates and Fritigernd that we should rest the men in camp rather then risk a siege. So preperations were made and we set up camp as best we could.

The next day bad omens came to us. Our ships had been smashed apart by a storm last night. So now we were trapped. My men were tired, hungry and wanted a warm place to sleep. And who could blame them, this country was desolate except for a few settlements in the area.

Fritigernd nudged me and whispered into my ear," The men need their warlord to encourage them. They will look to you for inspiration in this time of need, or else they will turn on us and desert to go back to Gaul or Rome."

This troubled me, I wasn't the best at speeches. My last speech was made up in five minutes before my battle with the traitorous legion. Now I had to encourage the men before me with something. It took half an hour but I finally decided on an area to focus on.

I stood up and breathed deeply before I began," Men, gather." The legionaries or what lined up according to cohort and as I was offered a horse to sit upon, I declined with a wave of my hand.

" Comrades, we are standing in Brittania. But this land is not just a land of barbarians and head-hunting druids. exactly one decade ago, Caesar landed hear with his legions and after two attempts brought half of this island to her knees.

Now we are called here to finish what your fathers and grandfathers started. I know that we are in desperate hours, but so were your ancestors. They had to endure storms like we had last evening constantly. They had to fight barbarian hordes of over a quarter of a million when they landed. And yet they pushed on forward.

I ask you now to remember the dead here and take this oath with me: that we will not leave Brittania till the tribes responsible pay with their complete surrender to Roman rule. Then maybe, the dead here can rest in Elysium in peace, knowing they died for the possibility of a Romanized Brittania."

The speech didn't receive an enthusiastic applause, nor even a cordial one. The men simply went to both knees and unsheathed their swords. They put these in front of them and I realized they were taking a moment to remember those dead.

Instead of weary faces, I now saw determined ones ready to take on whatever this bare island could throw at us. At this point I started to feel like the legion was coming together as family, not as comrades. I started talking to individuals, we joked, we told stories of past engagements we had experienced, and our families histories. All the while the men never forgot I was their captain, yet they seemed to accept it more now.

By the time winter passed we now had a force of less than one thousand men. The winter was cruel to us and our force had become a joke. Our horses died of the cold and now our forces were left to some six cohorts of legionnaries and two auxilias of two hundred men each. Things looked grim.

Time just didn't seem to be on our side. Rome's reinforcements, if any were to come,would not arrive til winter. Fritigernd drowned in a river after a confusion in an ambush by the northern tribes caused his detachment to be isolated and destroyed. All seemed to be compiling in an effort to destroy the legion.

At this time my men were nervous. At a fighting strenghthof two thousand including auxillary units, the moment looked bleak. The only happy news that seemed to appear in these dire circumstances was that we completed our fort with artillery defences.

I arranged our defenses in a triangle so that we could see the enemy approach and be ready if they did think of a siege. Also the fort was on a slight hill and so our artillery would be able to soften up the enemy before they reached the walls. There I had a nasty surprise for them. Covered by foliage, were pits that held sharpened stakes, and at are walls we had towers that housed archers that would fire upon our enemies' siege engines with flaming missiles.

Every day our men prepared for the inevitable siege. Since the episode where Fritigernd was lost, it was easy enough to assume the same tribe would be back with an army to destroy us. We took down a nearby forest, relatively small, for use in making archer missiles. Surprisingly, the least depleted force in my army was my archers of five hundred. It seemed to me now that these men were the best hope I had.

I was down to maybe 5 cohorts of fifty men apiece giving me a grand total of two hundred and fifty legionnaries. The auxilia made up some one thousand and surprising to me were still loyal after Fritigernd's death. These spearmen would most likely have to take on any fighting as my legionries were to valuable a tactical force to waste on a first assault.

We waited days and, as expected, we saw the burning countryside in the distance. Within a week the force was close enough to be seen by our eyes. It was massive, some guessed between four to five hundred thousand. Most likely fear had something to do with these assumptions. To my eyes it looked to be maybe fifty thousand strong, still outnumbering us well over twenty to one.

So this is where it ends. Well I'll make them bleed for their bloody victory.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Eagle Stenched in blood: The Final Chapter.

“We are surrounded, No help will come from Rome. There will be no relief force to save us. We must find a way to either outlast these barbarians, or to die with as much honor as possible. If any man wishes to take the honorable way and commit suicide, he may do so with knowing that none hear will hold him for it.
    When Marcus Tullius Cicero’s brother was with Caesar in Gaul and was besieged by a horde much like this one. His men showed the bravery of only few know. This bravery is not one that is heroic or one that is found in any man. This type of bravery is simply this: Fear for your life. Few men embrace these fears in battle, many think it shameful, but those men took their fear and let it prepare them for the battle ahead.
    Today I see the same fear within you all. It is within me as well. My brothers, I know we come from different homes, but today we are bonded by brotherhood. I have known most of you from our departure from Rome. And I can proudly say that had I been offered by Jupiter himself to avoid this calamity I would refuse! For I know that I would rather die fighting with you fine men then to live my life happily as a beloved general.
    When these barbarians come forward; with their ladders, and battering rams ready to seal our fates, do not expect any prisoners to be taken. If any are, they will likely be tortured for a sick and disgusting ritual to their pagan gods. So I ask you all to fight for your lives and prepare yourselves for death! And let us make names here so that whenever these people who fight us return home, they will say to their children “ I fought against Marcus Tiberius Quintus and his brave legion when they took their last stand against us. And they died honorably.” So therefore go! And prepare yourselves for the afterlife!”
    The men departed and we prepared ourselves for the inevitable clash. The enemy surrounded us and thus, we decided to defend a small area rather than split up the force. Our archers began to fire into their ranks and killed many. And by the time the rams and ladders reached the wall they quickly retreated to our position in the center of the fort. Our onagers managed to destroy two rams, and one catapult from the enemy. However, this proved futile, as the enemy were to numerous to care about those losses. “ Archers! When they break through wait until my signal to fire!” We had created a blocking of palistades that would funnel the enemy onto our lines. And our archers would fire into their ranks when they were caught.
    “ Captain! Captain, the walls are breached!” Shouted the scout.
    “ Then prepare yourselves for battle!” I responded.
    The enemy amassed themselves into our presence shouting their terrible war cries. Some looked menacing as they ran towards us, swords and axes raised high. The archers immediately began loosing arrows into their ranks, and my men cheered at the sight of the enemy falling before they reached us. The Cohorts threw their Pilas into the enemy at 50 paces and once again at 25 paces. They quickly drew their gladius’s and the true battle began.
    I encouraged the men as best I could and directed fire by the archers into packed formations of men. Soon a wall of bodies lay at the feet of my Cohorts, and I shouted to them,” Keep fighting! Remember you fight for your lives!” The men fought with ferocity and with purpose and seemed to be holding their own. Yet I knew that victory was a faint hope at best. By and by my archers had ran out of missiles and thus discarded their bows and equipped themselves with Javelins and began to throw these into the enemies rank. My cohorts were tired so in a move that we had practiced we exchanged the auxiliaries with them as the cohorts retreated; my archers threw a volley of javelins to halt the enemy and my auxiliaries rushed forward to form a line where the Cohorts had been. They presented a shield wall to the enemy who clashed with this new, fresh line of hardened men.
    I went to the cohorts to receive reports of casualties, it seemed that he enemy had done some damage but not a lot. I looked up to see the enemies’ army above the palistades and I saw that not half had entered the fray yet.
    “ Gods help us all.” I murmured.
    The battle continued with the auxiliaries becoming increasingly overwhelmed so my cohorts rushed back into the fray to help their comrades. Picking up a shield and gladius I also ran forward shouting,” Come men, let us go to Elysium together!” We fought hard and long and soon the enemy were retreating before us. The men cheered but I said,” Do not celebrate yet, they are merely giving us rest before the final and truly testing assault.”
    We were able to rest our wounded and bandage them. Reports told me that of our last known number, two hundred were dead, most being auxiliaries. My archers retrieved what arrows they could and javelins and prepared once again. We were able to retrieve a ballistae and it’s ammunition and set it up prepared to fire.
    The battle horns sounded and once again the enemy rushed into our ranks. The ballistae fired bolts into the enemy and the archers loosed arrows into them. My men threw javelins as makeshift pilas and once again we fought hard and long. This time I didn’t hold back the auxiliaries and so my entire infantry was engaged. Slowly but surely, our line was pushed back and the enemies’ strength of numbers started to prevail. Yet we held on for the hope that we could hold out the day.
    The archers when depleted of arrows rushed in with their daggers and short swords into the ranks and soon all of my comrades including myself were fighting for our lives. We felled many and for each one of us that fell it seemed twenty of their men fell. We fought long and hard, and soon night fell. We prepared for this eventuality by giving our men a code to notify allies by.
    If a soldier didn’t know who it was who faced him he would shout,” Victory from Mars!” to which the response was “ Wisdom from Minerva!” Now with the men knowing comrade from foe, they fought without hesitation killing many more. We fought through the night without rest, and by suns rising we had felled many men before us. I looked up to see the enemy retreating and the men gave a great cheer. We had won the day! The dead were accounted for and sadly we had lost all but one hundred fine men.
    “Gather before me comrades. We have outlasted the siege. We will remember the dead and only us, for Rome will only remember her for a day. Some may remember our battle, but it will be lost in history to greater battles where famous names like those of Hannibal and Alexander will outlast our own, but your descendants will look back and say,” My ancestor fought and survived, and fought for his life here in Britannia. So therefore return with me home. And live your lives out in peace, remembering the dead.”
    We returned to Rome shortly in a few months. The Emperor gave me a commendation. A hollow honor meant to only give face before the common people. The true honor came when I returned to my home and my father embraced me saying,” My Son I am proud of what you achieved. Let us discuss your Iliad at dinner tonight. Some generals are eager to hear of your defense of the legion.”
    “ Of course father, but I think first I would like to retire to sleep. I am tired, and wish to sleep.”

The end.