Thread: [Tutorial] - Constructing Starting Family Trees (Great for historical mods)

Default [Tutorial] - Constructing Starting Family Trees (Great for historical mods)

This tutorial is best if you are having the royal family panel enabled mod in use.

Basically what we will do is to both define the Royal Family Tree as well as any Non-Family Claimants.

To do so we will load our startpos,esf and first navigate to the CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/WORLD/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION/FAMILY of the faction you wish to modify their starting family tree.

In this section you will see 10 MONARCHY_INFO_CHARACTER. Each of these is a slot in the Royal Family Panel. The first entry is always the king followed by his wife and then his 4 children slots. Next come the 4 non-claimant slots.

I believe for most of the factions their initial startpos settings have just the king and 1 non-family claimant. A few have 2 non-family claimants.

To enable the other slots to be visible we will need to understand what each value means:

• boolean - gender
    • boolean - enabled? (not for sure)
    • byte - # children (0-4)
    • int - leadership rating (# of stars)
    • int - age
    • int - ordinal pair??? (matchs this for king for all others always 1)
    • int - age had first child (not used for king/wife)
    • int - age had second child (not used for king/wife)
    • int - age had third child (not used for king/wife)
    • int - age had fourth child (not used for king/wife)
    • utf16 string - religion of the person (if the religion of the person does not match the faction they come from a little totem pole will show in their top right corner)
    • uint - Faction ID this character is from (changes the little flags in the portraits, might cause wars of succession)
    • uint - Faction ID of this faction (0 for all children of the king; 3rd to 6th slots)

So basically we can use this to edit each MONARCHY_INFO_CHARACTER keeping in mind that the order is:

1. King
    2. Wife
    3. Royal Child #1
    4. Royal Child #2
    5. Royal Child #3
    6. Royal Child #4
    7. Claimant #1
    8. Claimant #2
    9. Claimant #3
    10. Claimant #4

You will also need to give each person a name and portrait. You do so by adding the localized string for their name to the CAMPAIGN_LOCALISATION Then you add the tga's of your choosing into the portrait settings of the character. Only the King will have a tga in the second option of the portrait all others will stay blank.

After doing so you should have the ability to make more historically accurate starting family trees.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeanuts; April 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon14 Re: [Tutorial] - Constructing Starting Family Trees (Great for historical mods)

Thank you for your tutorial. Indeed this will be good for some historical accuracy mods!
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Default Re: [Tutorial] - Constructing Starting Family Trees (Great for historical mods)

We might actually get a situation where Victoria doesn't follow William III of Great Britain!

Default Re: [Tutorial] - Constructing Starting Family Trees (Great for historical mods)

Have you tested this? I have had miserable failure so far. Tried to change Prussia so that the king starts out with a wife, and one son, and has no outside claimant to the throne. Changed the true/false values appropriately, and all the int, and the utf and uint (to '0' or blank on the claimant I wanted to delete), put in new portraits, and names for the created characters, saved it, and the game ctd'ed upon trying to start a campaign; Then the esf editor wouldn't work on the startpos.esf it already had open, and wouldn't re-open the modified file (although it can still open my backup startpos.esf). I also tried to set the queen's faction id to that of hannover (by copy-pasting), but this was on a second attempt; it ctd'ed before I did that also.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31

wheres the mod to enable family tree?

Hey guys,

My tutorial (located in my signature) explains all 3 sections that MUST be changed in order to get the king's / family names to work.

It's been in PowerWizard's: Index of mod's / tutorial's / etc. for quiet awhile now.

The age of children actually does matter for the king, as it seems to take precedence over the listed age in the royal children's listings.

I've changed the family trees for GB, France, Austria and Spain, and although most of them work(a few have missing names and Austria's new queen is even missing), France is an oddity: whenever I click on the family tree button, it kicks me out. I have no idea why.

You have to make sure that the name you change your King / Queen / Family to is also inside your localisation.loc file or they will show up "Blank".

I.E.
    names_name_names_italianUgo Ugo False
    names_name_names_spanishUgo Ugo False
    names_name_names_englishUgo Ugo False

Make sure they match up with your Faction that you're changing.

Hey All,

Bear with me as this is my first post and it is slightly off topic but it seemed to be the best thread to post on.
    Firstly thank you very much GeorgiaPeanuts and Macdaddy02 for bringing back the family tree and the ability to edit family members. Greatly appreciated!
    I am unfortunately one of those players who needs the family tree and be historically accurate when it comes to which monarchs are on the throne during of period of history.
    So to cut a long story short, I am Great Britain and started off with William III, then I forced a revolution to change to absolute monarchy to get Anne I on the throne in 1702, then went to republic -> constitutional monarchy to get George I on the throne in 1714.
    So then by 1725 I was wanting to ensure that George I died and got his son George on the throne as George II. So I altered George I age to 99, so that in one turn he would die.
    It appears from experience that no monarch can get to age 100 so if you make them aged 99 then they will die in the next year.

See screenshot.

So looking at the family tree it suggests that George I eldest son George will become George II, however ended turn and randomally his third child, Mary became Queen for no reason whatsoever. So I loaded and tried again and this time his 1st son George became George II.

Very confusing, wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Also if anyone had edited the monarchs name to 99 before and seen them die at 100?

Thanks and sorry for babbling

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Gav/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Burnoutfigs's Avatar Semisalis

I believe i found out on my own how to change faction leaders title, but i dont know much about moding.

Can i change the title in main.pack and loc.pack or are we not supposed to touch the main.pack .

sorry for my ignorance just trying to learn.

I'm a bit confused on one point, or maybe it's just that I'm indulging too much wishful thinking / not hearing what I want to hear ;

Can you ONLY modify the family tree at the start of the game, in 1700 ?

Can you ONLY modify pre-existing characters, at the start of the game, in 1700 ?

If so, if I'm looking at it right, uniquely Austria starts the game solely with Emperor Leopold. Leopold has no Queen listed at start, no children, no claimants.
    I have played the game as Austrian faction now, many times, and a child is invariably soon born, you get one of those event messages telling you so, with a picture of a crib. Two out of three games its a boy named Franz. BUT that's in 1701 - to - 1710.
    So if this is true it would appear I can do nothing with my beloved Austria.

What I would LIKE to do is create my own Queen, I've already picked out and modified her portrait , with a name, a bishop and a mistress in her retinue, and "Pious", "Status-Quo", and "Morally Impaired" , traits.
    I want to insure that she comes to the throne at the age of 13. If absolutely necessary to accomplish this, I'll kill off Leopold after a 12 year reign. But I would prefer it if Leopold reigned his usual 20 - to- 40 years.
    In turn, I would like for my Queen to be followed , after a reign of many years, hopefully , by another queen, who comes to the throne at age 15.

that is, can you make changes retroactively ? can I add or delete heirs and claimants as I go along, then, start a brand new Campaign, in 1700, and the changes I have made STILL apply ?

By the way, perhaps I am mistaken, but heir generation, and length of reign, SEEMS to be not entirely random. As I said, I have played Austrian faction many times now, and the same names keep popping up when children are born, you can predict, albeit with a 20 year spread, how long this or that queen will reign, and the same heirs keep succeeding to the throne, even in late game.
    Last edited by kesa82; December 29, 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnoutfigs View Post
    I believe i found out on my own how to change faction leaders title, but i dont know much about moding.

Can i change the title in main.pack and loc.pack or are we not supposed to touch the main.pack .

sorry for my ignorance just trying to learn.
    Main.pack is like patch.pack. You can make a mod using ministerial_positions_by_gov_types_tables where you can make your changes. The appropriate _loc changes are needed also.

Happy new year!

I can't seem to change the starting management of my King it says -20 to diplomatic relations and -2 to prestige and it sucks he always starts that way is there a way to change that?

Quote Originally Posted by rebirthofman View Post
    I can't seem to change the starting management of my King it says -20 to diplomatic relations and -2 to prestige and it sucks he always starts that way is there a way to change that?
    it sounds like your trouble is TRAIT related.
    beyond that I can't help you. I haven't experimented with trait modification yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rebirthofman View Post
    Find his record in startpos.esf/CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/WORLD/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION/CHARACTERS.