Thread: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Default Question about Siege equipment

I didn't see a quick questions thread or else I would've posted this there.

Can siege towers/rams still be destroyed by flaming arrows in this mod? As in, they catch on fire and burn until they fall apart. I've played through almost 100 turns as Gondor(and have defended against many sieges) and not once has this happened.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Default Re: Question about Siege equipment

I think it is possible (I have seen it happenning) but you must be very lucky .
    Ballista towers are a lot more effective .

You can ask questions about tatw in this thread
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Answer-Thread

Default Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

For the creation of Arnor it says I need Tharbad do i need both north and south or will north just do it.

Is there a way to minimize fiscal corruption? My total income per turn is 26,000 but I'm losing almost 9,000 to "corruption and other." I could REALLY use that income.

Quote Originally Posted by b2ector View Post
    Is there a way to minimize fiscal corruption? My total income per turn is 26,000 but I'm losing almost 9,000 to "corruption and other." I could REALLY use that income.
    You can move your capital in order to minimize your corruption. You can also increase the law in your settlement (with buildings or generals) which will decrease the settlement's corruption.

I guess I'm pretty much screwed, as my dwarven empire spans the entire map from east to west.

I'm assuming that capital location is ideally centrally located.

I'm assuming that capital location is ideally centrally located.
    It depends on where are your economic centers so a central location doesn't always mean it is the best solution.

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Unseengenie View Post
    For the creation of Arnor it says I need Tharbad do i need both north and south or will north just do it.
    You need both
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandarr View Post
    It depends on where are your economic centers so a central location doesn't always mean it is the best solution.
    Ok, my main bread winner is Erebor, as well as being my capital, but my empire stretches across the entire north from the western sea all the way down into eastern Rhun. I've moved south through the central mountains with Moria being my next stop. I had assumed that it would be a better location for my capital, unless you have a better suggestion.

Ok, my main bread winner is Erebor, as well as being my capital, but my empire stretches across the entire north from the western sea all the way down into eastern Rhun. I've moved south through the central mountains with Moria being my next stop. I had assumed that it would be a better location for my capital, unless you have a better suggestion.
    Moria is a really rich settlement and is quite centrally located so I think it is a good choice. That being said, you can simply save your game, change your capital wherever you want and compare your level of corruption in function of your capital's location.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

@ b2ector

please notice that not only position of capital but also distance of each settlement to the same will influence corruption (that's why putting the capital to the center will reduce it).

if you already have 9.000 gp corruption (supposing that the capital is still Erebor), by moving it to the centre of your empire you'll probably lower it to 6.000. Do not expect to cut it much more, the dwarven empire is spread all over ME .

to further reduce the corruption, as Pandarr said, build up structures that improves LAW (diplomat buldings, barracks) and/or send a general with high law attributes to rule them, but consider what follows:
    - before of anything check in the economic summary of each settlements which ones are sucking up more moneys from you and then act to reduce corruption only in this; usually if corruption is below 250 gp it is not worth to send there a governor
    - good governors will decrease corruption, but if they already are governors of important cities check how much they increase the income of those cities before moving them, otherwise you'll lose money while trying to same them
    - do not recruit generals for the sole purpose of lowering corruption, each general costs you 500 gp, so they should be able to reduce corruption by more of this amount in order to be profitable for you

there should be more to add, but you can work it out with this I think

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    @ b2ector to further reduce the corruption, as Pandarr said, build up structures that improves LAW (diplomat buldings, barracks) and/or send a general with high law attributes to rule them, but consider what follows: - before of anything check in the economic summary of each settlements which ones are sucking up more moneys from you and then act to reduce corruption only in this; usually if corruption is below 250 gp it is not worth to send there a governor - good governors will decrease corruption, but if they already are governors of important cities check how much they increase the income of those cities before moving them, otherwise you'll lose money while trying to same them - do not recruit generals for the sole purpose of lowering corruption, each general costs you 500 gp, so they should be able to reduce corruption by more of this amount in order to be profitable for you
    LAW attribute deos NOT decrease corruption. LAW attribute improve public order in settlement thus decrease chances of revolt when garrison is low and taxes high. Corruption is decreased ONLY by OBEDIENCE attribute. PROOF. Good general will also boost base income of settlement with TAXMAN and TRADER skills.

Greymane's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    LAW attribute deos NOT decrease corruption. LAW attribute improve public order in settlement thus decrease chances of revolt when garrison is low and taxes high. Corruption is decreased ONLY by OBEDIENCE attribute. PROOF. Good general will also boost base income of settlement with TAXMAN and TRADER skills.
    The Obedience part might be true (is true, but I never noticed it before), but law definitely lowers corruption.
    Just build a town hall or a barracks as Flinn said and check the results.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

That is proof that obedience reduces corruption, not proof that ONLY obedience reduces corruption. Law lowers it, for certain.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

thanks gents for defending me

@ Zax, I was not aware of this fact, though a decrease in corruption of 5 gp each obedience point is to that much, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.. would you mind to expand with more details on it? I checked a bit around and it's the only known case (to me) that reports this.

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Obedience and Law are apples and pears, the former a character stat and the latter a settlement factor, they do not outrule each other as commented on above; and Obedience can actually make unrest worse*, even if it can reduce unrest too.

Obedience is actually Piety.
    Piety decrease unrest if the settlement population mainly has the same religion [called culture in TATW] as the general, and the faction, has.
    But if you send in a general with high Obedience/Piety to a settlement where the faction's/general's religion is in minority instead he will increase the unrest, because the population get mad at the "infidel" hehe

Btw Piety also reduce corruption > increase income. But if there's no corruption to reduce there's no income increase.

Here's a good source:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?391736-How-piety-works-and-how-to-activate-the-alternative-piety-mode

* To my knowledge TATW and all major submods use the normal Piety-mode, which is what is discussed here
    Last edited by Ngugi; July 01, 2014 at 04:36 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Hugyfew's Avatar Libertus

Is it advised to "train" with vanilla M2TW before playing TATW?

"We all may be individuals, but there are things all individuals have in common"
    -LuckyPistol, 2014

I can't think of any benefits to training with Vanilla M2TW.
    Just don't be reluctant to either start new games, or save and test different tactics for different game situations, or play on easier settings.
    Try it all! and have fun!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Hugyfew View Post
    Is it advised to "train" with vanilla M2TW before playing TATW?
    Only if you're new to Total War-games all together I presume, I had never played M2 when I bought it for TATW's sake.
    And from the little I tested it, and more so from what others have said over the years, TATW is such a different and more challeging experience that M2 skills is no great advantage

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory