Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Question about the reworked Lybian cavalry.

Are the warriors with greaves barefoot, or are they wearing a shoe of some sort?
    Rad is a Nazi fascist racist Nietzsche worshiper who cannot tell the difference between brown North African people's skin and their leather shoes. How dare you.

Seriously, I missed this one somehow, but I'm so glad the Libyan cavalry are being redone! They look great here. I just wish I had them in game like this right now! Also, I honestly can't believe all the hard work you guys are doing on the Iberian units. Good god! New Lusitanian bodyguard units on top of mercenaries and everything else.

Well, if they are barefoot, WHERE THE HELL ARE THEIR TOES?!

Don't be racist, Rad. North African peoples don't have toes! They have talons. Duh! Everyone who's not racist against Afro-Asiatic peoples knows that.

I'm just glad that some of them have helmets now. The helmet can never be overrated as the number one important piece of armor for any soldier of the time period. If you're not gonna have that, at least have a damn shield. Or if not that...dual wielding shuang gou hook swords in Chinese martial arts.

I don't know what you're saying Roma, helmets are clearly not important, just see every ancient or medieval movie. The main actors never need to wear an helmet or a shield, sometimes not event actual armour, their plot armour is enough for them and they always survive, unless there is a powerful bad guy nearby that kills one of them, most of the times, the one with the troubled past.

I love how some of them just have greaves. After all, they're cavalry. Gotta protect them legs. The search for their toes continues, though.

What kind of javelins are the Celtiberian cavalry using? They look exceedingly long.

It's the so-called "spear of dual purpose". In the Celtiberian world, it was complemented by a longer thrusting spear and used as either a traditional javelin or a thrusting spear according to the needs of the moment.

I expect that the Pontus BG will be either a lancer or horse archer unit.

Also, I would like to know if Armenia is getting some changes in the next patch.

And btw, the Getai need more love because it's obvious their core roster isn't completed.
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; November 29, 2019 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    It's the so-called "spear of dual purpose". In the Celtiberian world, it was complemented by a longer thrusting spear and used as either a traditional javelin or a thrusting spear according to the needs of the moment.
    Can I read about them somewhere? The only throwing spears of similar length that I know of are the atlatl and the medieval fletched javelin, but they have stabilisers (feathers) and/or are thrown using a tool (amentum/spear thrower).
    Last edited by Rad; November 29, 2019 at 05:46 AM.

Can I read about them somewhere? The only throwing spears of similar length that I know of are the atlatl and the medieval fletched javelin, but they have stabilisers (feathers) and/or are thrown using a tool (amentum/spear thrower).
    Probably a falarica. That could be ~1.8-2m in length, which is about right for heavy and dual-purpose javelins like falarica, soliferrum, pilum or angon.

These look like regular spears. Weren't falarica supposed to have very long speaheads?

Question regarding the rise of the Montefortino helmet in Iberia.

I have noticed that the current Callaeci infantry have Montefortino helmets right from the start. However, the remade Celtiberian/Lusitanian units only seem to get them after the armor upgrade. Were the Callaeci some sort of helmet pioneers or can we expect them to be remade as well?

Question regarding the rise of the Montefortino helmet in Iberia.

I have noticed that the current Callaeci infantry have Montefortino helmets right from the start. However, the remade Celtiberian/Lusitanian units only seem to get them after the armor upgrade. Were the Callaeci some sort of helmet pioneers or can we expect them to be remade as well?

I don't know when you get armor upgrade in the game but I remember reading that Sertorius gave Roman equipment to the Iberian tribes and they sort of adopted them.

As for the Gallaeci, they're a Celtiberian tribe so it makes sense that they had the Montefortino at the start of the game.
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; December 06, 2019 at 03:05 PM.

I believe that the Iberians will get the Montefortino around the time Carthage currently gets it. We will see.

As far as I know, the Gallaeci are a Celtic people in Iberia, not Celtiberian one - apparently, there's a difference.
    If they get Montefortino helmets right from the start, why do the Celtiberians only get them after the armor upgrade?
    Last edited by Rad; December 06, 2019 at 03:28 PM.

Well, the only answer to this is that EB team has made a mistake.

There are more possible answers. Like I said, they could have started using the helmet earlier, or the unit will be remade.

Release the late Lusitanian units, damn you!

Does it make any sense at all to give Maiotian steppe cavalry three armor points and yet literally none of their riders are wearing helmets? I get that some of them are wearing chain mail, which is something at least, but a lot of them are just dudes in pants and shirts with no helmet on. Somehow that puts them one armor point below Lonchophoroi Hippeis! Each of whom not only all have helmets, but also lots of body armor for the torso and sometimes greaves on their legs. Give the Maiotian cavalry some helmets or something and this will make sense, or bump them down to two armor points if it's historically accurate for them to be without helmets. I know I've seen some Scythian artwork where it shows certain soldiers without helmets and others with helmets, but I'm not sure how historically faithful the Scythian/Greek artists who made these were being or if they were showing things idealistically or romantically. You know, like the silly heroic nudity of some warriors in Hellenistic and Roman frescoes and mosaics.

Roma, there's a very special thread for such suggestions. I know the guy who made it, he's cool

Btw, why are they wearing mail from the start of the game? It doesn't make sense.

I like the new unit and what are their actual horses meant to be?

Also, can't wait for the update.