Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Didn't the team said that the greeks units are complete or almost complete? There's what left? Updating the Thorakitai model and some BGs units?
    The Thorakitai model is being updated? Beautiful, bring on the chainmail!

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    The Thorakitai model is being updated? Beautiful, bring on the chainmail!
    No, it's the Epilektoi Thorakitai, who are currently a beta placeholder.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I cannot wait to see how the unit will look once you guys finally get around to changing the beta placeholder.

Ah well that's almost as good. Will we see them in the next release?

Also is there any more planned updates of existing units, aside from what's been put on the Twitter? The Epilektoi Hoplitai could really use some more variation, particularly with the cloaks. The unit looks far too uniform at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Ah well that's almost as good. Will we see them in the next release?

Also is there any more planned updates of existing units, aside from what's been put on the Twitter? The Epilektoi Hoplitai could really use some more variation, particularly with the cloaks. The unit looks far too uniform at the minute.
    No, the updated Epilektoi Thorakitai are unlikely to be in the patch.

As you may have noticed from the feeds, the modelling team are on a roll revamping the Iberian roster at the moment. I wouldn't expect much from outside that for the patch.

A new unit for Iberia is out, the Returning Mercenaries, and I bet they will become a favorite unit for every Iberian enthusiastic

I LOVE the chainmail and Iberian style linothorax armor on the new Iberian mercenary guys. Nice variety of outfits! They look great. Always good to have additional heavy infantry.

Have you fixed the infantry charges?.

They're wholly inefective and it's just frustrating seeing my men changing their weapons and then charge.

It ruins the momentum.

Edit : The units look nice, too bad I mostly use eastern factions, maybe in the next patch i'm going to play as Carthage or Rome.

Edit 2 : Btw, how do I change back the kill animations to the ones in Vanilla Med2?. It's just that it's boring for me to see the ones for Rome 1.
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; October 28, 2019 at 05:35 PM.

We can't "fix" infantry charges, because M2TW wasn't designed with precursor weapons in mind. We've gone back to using prec and adjusted charge distances, which should improve things.

You can't restore the kill animations without unpacking your animations, editing the descr_skeleton with the appropriate lines and rebuilding them. Don't know that you can do that in the released version.

We can't "fix" infantry charges, because M2TW wasn't designed with precursor weapons in mind. We've gone back to using prec and adjusted charge distances, which should improve things.

You can't restore the kill animations without unpacking your animations, editing the descr_skeleton with the appropriate lines and rebuilding them. Don't know that you can do that in the released version.
    Maybe the team could make precursor javelins better?

Currently, for wide variety of assault units, their precursor javelin throw is quite underwhelming (Roman terminator units excluded). In current installment of EB, for most units, you want to get rid of their precursors so that you can get normal M2TW infantry unit back. Stronger javelins would mitigate somewhat bad charge that precursor units have until they use up their ammo.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Great looking unit, interesting helmets. Almost look like Chalkidians to me, the helmets that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Great looking unit, interesting helmets. Almost look like Chalkidians to me, the helmets that is.
    Yes, in fact, that bronze Celtiberian helmet is known by the researchers as “Hispano-Chalcidian type helmet”. It's thought that this helmet was developed by Celtiberians linked with mercenary activities associated to the southern Italian region, where influenced by local traditions, these mercenaries would have adopted articulated cheekpieces and the reduction of the projecting bar which covers the nose for their new Hispano-Chalcidian helmets.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    Yes, in fact, that bronze Celtiberian helmet is known by the researchers as “Hispano-Chalcidian type helmet”. It's thought that this helmet was developed by Celtiberians linked with mercenary activities associated to the southern Italian region, where influenced by local traditions, these mercenaries would have adopted articulated cheekpieces and the reduction of the projecting bar which covers the nose for their new Hispano-Chalcidian helmets.

Fascinating. Maybe also due to the exposure to Hellenics from colonies like Emporium ?

Who gets to play with the new the new Celtiberian unit? I got the Carthaginian recruiting agent of the phone...

Fascinating. Maybe also due to the exposure to Hellenics from colonies like Emporium ?
    Could be that as well. I'd love to hear some archaeologist explain the influence of the material and martial culture of city-states like Emporion (Empuries) on the surrounding Iberian peoples, some of whom at the very least built fortified walled towns like the nearby colonial Greeks and Carthaginians.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

I really like these new Iberian units! Hispano-Chalcidian helmet is very well done

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Could be that as well. I'd love to hear some archaeologist explain the influence of the material and martial culture of city-states like Emporion (Empuries) on the surrounding Iberian peoples, some of whom at the very least built fortified walled towns like the nearby colonial Greeks and Carthaginians.
    It seems that Emporion didn't play an important role in the adoption of foreign weapons in the Iberian Peninsula. The Hispano-Chalcidian helmet was adopted in Italy and then, developed in the core of the Celtiberian lands as the archaeology reveals. In the case of Emporion, the city spread her influence over her hinterland but it was mainly focused on trade and more specifically on grain trade. Although we know the existence of some Etruscan helmets and even a Macedonian muzzle in the Ilergetian lands, here the panoply didn't experience a Hellenistic influence, instead, it clearly belonged to the La Tene world.

Emporion and the Hellenistic world influenced the local symposium/ Iberian banquet rituals, architecture of walls (see, for example, the oppidum of Ullastret) and another type of material culture such as pottery and coins. Also, a Greco-Iberian script was developed on the Levantine coast.

@Roma_Victrix if you are interested on Emporion, maybe you would like to read this paper (fortunately it's in English). It speaks about the influence of Emporion over the neighbouring peoples, it also speaks about the potential existence of a synecism process between Greeks and Iberians, the Greek identity in those lands, the influenced Iberian elite, etc.

-Greeks and non-Greeks in the City of Emporion and the Construction of Their Different Identities:

http://www.ejournals.eu/electrum/201...e-20/art/1745/
    Last edited by Trarco; October 31, 2019 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    It seems that Emporion didn't play an important role in the adoption of foreign weapons in the Iberian Peninsula. The Hispano-Chalcidian helmet was adopted in Italy and then, developed in the core of the Celtiberian lands as the archaeology reveals. In the case of Emporion, the city spread her influence over her hinterland but it was mainly focused on trade and more specifically on grain trade. Although we know the existence of some Etruscan helmets and even a Macedonian muzzle in the Ilergetian lands, here the panoply didn't experience a Hellenistic influence, instead, it clearly belonged to the La Tene world.

Emporion and the Hellenistic world influenced the local symposium/ Iberian banquet rituals, architecture of walls (see, for example, the oppidum of Ullastret) and another type of material culture such as pottery and coins. Also, a Greco-Iberian script was developed on the Levantine coast.

@Roma_Victrix if you are interested on Emporion, maybe you would like to read this paper (fortunately it's in English). It speaks about the influence of Emporion over the neighbouring peoples, it also speaks about the potential existence of a synecism process between Greeks and Iberians, the Greek identity in those lands, the influenced Iberian elite, etc.

-Greeks and non-Greeks in the City of Emporion and the Construction of Their Different Identities:

http://www.ejournals.eu/electrum/201...e-20/art/1745/
    This was precisely the kind of response I was hoping for and you delivered handily. Thanks for sharing all of this! +1 rep.

Will the Amossoi have a late variant? I wanna see them up-armored

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Will the Amossoi have a late variant? I wanna see them up-armored
    If I had things my way, a bunch of lightly armored units would have super powered upgrades with massive amounts of body armor, including Galathraikes, Dnieper Gauls, Noric Swordsmen, Cisalpine Swordsmen, Uextias, Eastern Celtic Swordsmen, even Hoplitai (to match Thorakitai). I'd slap enough armor on them all to the point where they are basically Parthian general bodyguard cataphract soldiers on foot, but that's just me.

Needless to say, I have a heavy armor fetish. Make them all look like Hellenistic kataphractoi, I say! For that matter, I would legit like to see a super upgraded and armored version of Epilektoi Hoplitai or even Etruscan hoplites, brought up to speed with the era of Thorakitai reforms by wearing chainmail. That would look so cool, even though I know it'll never happen. A boy can dream, though!

Is there evidence that late Etruscan soldiers wore chainmail like the Republican Roman legionaries in Italy? Or did they just become too indistinguishable from the Latin peoples through cultural assimilation and gaining citizenship that it wouldn't make sense to have them as separate units? I think it would be so cool to see some of the early Italic units in the game receive chainmail upgrades with the Polybian reforms.