Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    @Commios: +1 rep for a great reply. I'm not sure if dragoons from 16th to 18th-century Europe make fitting comparisons considering how this was the height of the Gunpowder Age.
    Yes, now I think about it, it isn't the most applicable parallel to make.

(while Late Antique Jesus was often depicted as a Roman pontifex, dressed in either the toga praetexta or toga laena).
    Interesting... so much for being a man of the poor eh?

Notice, though, how he says that soldiers only removed their helmets after they had abandoned their body armor covering the torso. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\awl5\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    Very true, and once again I am forced to make recourse to the argument that societies north of the Alps seem to have had, in some cases, markedly different concepts about warfare from their southern neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Helmets as mandatory armor - A WW1 way of thinking?
    Nope. Way earlier.

I will start with the Statute of the medieval city of Dubrovnik - Now known as King's Landing. First written in 1272, with later editions. I believe I used a late 14th century edition, but I will check and double check that later.

Latin text (the official language of the Republic at the time):

De armis portandis in quolibet navigio

Item statuimus et ordinamus, quod quelibet condura, barcusius et quelibet (sic) aliud lignum, quod vel que fuerit de portata de viginti miliariis, et inde supra, de ceteris in quolibet viagio quod fecerit extra Ragusium ad aliquas partes, debeat habere patronus dicte condure, barcusii seu ligni coraças V-e fornitas balistra seu arcus IIII fornitis (sic) sagittis seu quadellis

Et quilibet marinarius scutum, spatam et arma de testa, sub pena unius yperperi pro qualibet coraça,et de grossis VI pro qualibet balista, et pro quolibet dictorum armorum. Et quod super predictis debeant eligi duo boni et legales homines, qui per sacramentum teneantur ire et scruptare, antequam dicta ligna seccedant de porto Ragusii, si dicta arma sunt in dictis lignis. Et similiter in earum reversione. Et quod nulla condura, barcusius seu aliud lignum possit secedere de portu Ragusii nisi primo fuerit cercatus per dictos officiales, sub pena yperperis decem, pro quolibet patrono dictorum lignorum qui contrafecerit et qualibet vice. Et quilibet dictorum duorum officialium habere debeat de avere Comuni omni mense hanc(sic) ad festum S. Michaelis grossum et medietatem banni.

English translation by your truly - I did my best to make it understandable in English

Of Arms which must be carried aboard every ship

Likewise, we determine and order that the patron of each kondura (type of ship), barcusium (type of ship) or any other ship which weighs or will weigh 20 miliariis (unit of weight) or more, from now on, on each voyage undetaken outside of Dubrovnik, will have to have five full suits of armor (edit: it may be just five coats of plates instead of five full armors, the word used "coraças" sounds awfully like corazzina - a form of coat of plates), four bows or crossbows supplied with arrows and bolts,

and that every sailor will have to have shield, sword and helmet, under penalty of one perpera (currency) for every missing armor and the penalty of six grossis for every missing crossbow and all the other mentioned arms. Two well informed (know their swords and stuff) and honest (unbribable) men must be elected to, under oath, go and inspect every ship for the required arms, before the ships sail out of Dubrovnik. The same will be repeated on the ship's return. No kondura , barcusium or any other ship may sail out of the port of Dubrovnik before the said officials inspect it, under the penalty of 10 perpera for the patron of the ship, for each breach. Both of the officials must be given a grossis every month from now until the feast of S. Michaelis out of the communal money (budget, treasury) and half the fine.

Commentary:
    Piracy, both land and naval, was an issue back in the day. This article was meant to save lives, goods, money and prestige. Lives especially, since the city and the Republic in general had a small population.

You will notice that I split the article in two. I did that to point out the following:

The ship has weapons and armor kept on it, provided by the patron/owner - five suits of armor (apparently, it's not completely crazy to wear heavy armor while at sea), four bows/crossbows with the following ammo. Naturally, the ship isn't going to use those itself to fend of pirates, the crew will.

Every sailor has personal arms - shield, sword, helmet - which he is required to own. Without it, he cannot sail. Given that the sailors belonged to the working class of the day, the ruling body of the city did not demand that they buy fully panoply, and only required the bare minimum. The only metal piece of armor a sailor had to own was a helmet.

LIBER STATUTORUM
    CIVITATIS RAGUSII
    LIBER OCTAVUS - LXXVIII - De armis portandis in quolibet navigio

Edit: There is an article stating the arms that must be kept on smaller ships. It's quite similar, just a bit less financially taxing on the patron. If anyone is interested, I will translate and post it. If no one is interested, I might just do it anyways.
    Interesting read Rad, thank you!

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Damn how the hell is any faction supposed to fight those OP Nobles with Magic Potions?
    I'm kinda sad nobody got my asterix joke

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

I'm with you, alex
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

@Commios
    You're welcome. The city of Dubrovnik kept good records on just about everything - trade, law, politics, daily life etc. If you're interested in a particular topic, please let me know.

I might be posting similar arms regulations from different countries and cities soon, depends on my free time.

What happened to the female nomadic troops model that was previewed a long time ago? Is it considered too frefatched that Scythian Women fought in the battlefield?

Would have hoped that the female would have just be one of the various different models for all the Scythian Units. Imagine seeing a few Scythian Women inside a sea of Scythian Men in a Horse Archer Unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    What happened to the female nomadic troops model that was previewed a long time ago? Is it considered too frefatched that Scythian Women fought in the battlefield?

Would have hoped that the female would have just be one of the various different models for all the Scythian Units. Imagine seeing a few Scythian Women inside a sea of Scythian Men in a Horse Archer Unit.
    Not far-fetched at all, the model was just never finished. They'd be present in the nobles, not the riders.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Not far-fetched at all, the model was just never finished. They'd be present in the nobles, not the riders.
    A Mighty Scythian Female clad in armor crashing through the enemy. Nice!

Will the Saka be given the same treatment someday?

Someone loves women in uniform

Now, is there aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany chance that we get to see a new unit before the year is out?

Previewed or to play? Preview is likely, there are several in development right now that should be ready soon.

Good man.

Merry Christmas!If you not release 2.3a patch in holiday,could you update the Twitter news?THX!

There are now three units waiting to be previewed.

Any minute now...

They're sitting in the queue, Commios/Brennus hasn't come back from his holidays yet.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I nearly peed my pants when I saw the new Noricum swordsman unit, complemented perfectly by the new Cisalpine Gallic cavalry and Galathraikioi. You guys rule! Keep them coming, please!

That being said, your Twitter feed has an unforgivable typo, saying "Cisapline" instead of "Cisalpine" before the word "Gallic". I spotted this mistake right away, because I am super smart. And you guys are getting sloppy! Or perhaps you were so excited about getting these units into the feed that your hand slipped as it was typing a mile a minute. Either way, you're lucky that France has discontinued use of the guillotine, because that's exactly where I would send you. Along with the rest of the sloppy typists!

They're sitting in the queue, Commios/Brennus hasn't come back from his holidays yet.
    Who said you guys were allowed to go on holidays?

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Who said you guys were allowed to go on holidays?
    Men ( and women) i must admint this one made me LAUGHT a whole lot. You got a point there athanaric but i am afraid Team Members wont aggree with you.

Regards:

melvidh

PD: On a side note Happy New Year to everybody!!!

the late noricum swordsmen look crazy mean! what helmet type is that - with the wide crown encircling?

There are now three units waiting to be previewed.
    Still not see any news in Twitter……