Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

tomySVK, it's not that there's no evidence for agrianians, but that there's not evidence for a particularly unique weapon kit in our era. The Illyrian peltastai or hoplitai cover the situation pretty well as it stands.

edit: nice illustration from the coming AW, too.

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You've just reminded me to update the descr_mercenaries - there's a note in the Italia and Magna Graecia pools to replace some Celtic Swordsmen with Ligurians.
    Glad to be of unintended help.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

It is a common mistake to name all barbarians from eastern Balkans as Thracians, and those from western as Illyrians. Agrianians were Paeonians. They might be quite similar to Illyrians but ancient sources consider them distinct nation, same as Tribalii.

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    It is a common mistake to name all barbarians from eastern Balkans as Thracians, and those from western as Illyrians. Agrianians were Paeonians. They might be quite similar to Illyrians but ancient sources consider them distinct nation, same as Tribalii.
    Even so, there's no evidence for them fighting armed as axemen, like the EB1 unit. They'd still have looked like the Illyrian units we already have.

hi, nice new units. The Phęzęghashkha, they are for Hayasdan? What kind of unit are they, Noble Hoplitai or someting? Like the Nakhararakan Tiknapah in EB 1?
    http://europabarbarorum.com/EB1/i/un...n_tiknapah.gif
    I can't find any info about them.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

New unit on twitter - Promachoi

Quote Originally Posted by Larm View Post
    hi, nice new units. The Phęzęghashkha, they are for Hayasdan? What kind of unit are they, Noble Hoplitai or someting? Like the Nakhararakan Tiknapah in EB 1?
    They are regional units, not exclusive to Armenia.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω May 09, 2016 at 06:51 AM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Larm View Post
    quoting qs from the page befor this one:
    Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Originally Posted by Rad
    New unit on the fb feed - assault infantry

They're not assault infantry, they're simply heavy infantry.

Originally Posted by alex33
    Cool! For what faction are they?

They're regionals, so anyone who holds Paniardis or Kutatisi. They're also (expensive) mercs.

the noble spearmen are allready in game as the armenian royal infantry which are hoplite/archer(which is freaking awesome)

hmmm interessting new unit. What are they. Promachoi means smth like first line or am i wrong? What is their use in the field they kinda look lile hemithorakitai

Promachoi are late skirmishers, who come from the eastern Mediterranean. They'll be more plentiful than the Kretan Peltastai, if not as good. More melee-capable than Euzonoi, in any case.

Cool!!! And here i was thinking that the hellenistic roster was allready finished haha

Alex33 and Apollodotos fighting for be greatest herald all ancient times

Hahaha. It takes so long to write something on the phone that i didn't even see apollodotos edit

anyway i still waiting on some next twohanded barbarrian killers. some more foot soldiers with beautiful armor penetrating ability or something

Is it just me or are the Kretan Peltasts really inconsistent? The stats look insane on paper but in every battle they are really pathetic. Maybe its that super loose formation.

i hope that will be fixed with skeler rework. almost all sworded units are pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Is it just me or are the Kretan Peltasts really inconsistent? The stats look insane on paper but in every battle they are really pathetic. Maybe its that super loose formation.
    Formation may indeed be an issue; they have the same as slingers and archers. Updating to match the other elite peltastai (Makedones, Logades).

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by paulus View Post
    tomySVK, it's not that there's no evidence for agrianians, but that there's not evidence for a particularly unique weapon kit in our era. The Illyrian peltastai or hoplitai cover the situation pretty well as it stands.

edit: nice illustration from the coming AW, too.
    I see, this is sadly true.

I can“t wait for the next issue

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

The EB II team just keeps kicking ass and taking names on their Twitter page...they just keep on...trucking. Cuz they're so cool and out of sight, yo.

Here's an honest-to-god photo I snapped of them as they were exiting a cafe in LA last week. And yes, I stalk the members of the EB II team. What can I say? I'm a super fan, an EB II fanatic.

You can't see him very well, but the partially-visible old guy in back of the pack is Quintus Sertorius, the don and ringleader of the show.

From left to right:
    Paullus (the brute, unpredictable wildcard of the bunch; very confrontational, he'll bust anyone's balls)
    Gustave (the goofy one of the bunch, providing that comic relief)
    xHolyCrusader (the stoic, old professional of the crew, a go-to guy when you're in a pinch but very judgmental and not the loquacious type)
    Nazgool, aka Smooth Talkin Freddie (he's the one with the connections, but he's got a short fuse, so don't test his temper)
    Quintus Sertorius (i.e. old guy in the background, don't mess with him, because he runs the show around here)
    Arsaces II (the calm, collected one who doesn't always speaks his mind but does so when it really counts)
    Rafkos (the more independent-minded one of the group, a true sceptic, he's usually shifty and let's you know if you're doing something wrong)

That's my personal take on these guys...after doing a wiretap, of course.

Wow, 2 xholyCrusaders in that pic. Pretty crazy.

Weren't the men in the first row of the phalanx called promachoi?

What is the historical evidence for this unit?

Quote Originally Posted by pelekyphoros View Post
    Weren't the men in the first row of the phalanx called promachoi?

What is the historical evidence for this unit?
    From the concept thread:

The Promachoi panoply is depicted for one of the allied soldiers in the Sidon stelai, but also appears over and over in the funerary and martial monuments of southern Anatolia. The gear is very consistent: a round shield, only slightly concave, probably constructed of wood or plywood, covered in bronze sheet or possibly leather at times, with three rim options: no rim, narrow rim, broad rim. Shield could perhaps be carried single-grip or with porpax and antilabe. Saettas from Sidon appears to be using the latter suspension. The soldier carried two thonged javelins, and a late Hellenistic sword that borrowed from Gallic and perhaps Roman models.