Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

The Cisalpine Gallic swordsmen look exceptional. Nice!

My take on the Cisalpine swordsmen:

Shields look amazing, but you folks should avoid a few things.
    1. A special layer of leather around the shield edges- it's a reenactorism. However, I must confess to know that to be the case when it comes to the Medieval Era. Idk what was done during the Hellenistic period.
    2. Leaving the shield uncovered - it weakens the shield. Shields would usually be covered with leather or canvas to help hold the planks together.

Helmets, clothes and linothorakes look awesome!

The mail shoulder reinforcement looks like a mess - maybe use a different model?

Keep up the good work, grumpy uncle Rad loves you - really, he does

Genava's Avatar Senator

1. A special layer of leather around the shield edges- it's a reenactorism. However, I must confess to know that to be the case when it comes to the Medieval Era. Idk what was done during the Hellenistic period.
    Clonoura shield

2. Leaving the shield uncovered - it weakens the shield. Shields would usually be covered with leather or canvas to help hold the planks together.
    The shield found in Switzerland, in the place named La Tène, may not have a cover. There is a debate about this. The Mondragon statue suggest it is maybe not always the case.
    https://www.academia.edu/16071921/RE...14_pp._231-235

Edit:
    The mail shoulder reinforcement looks like a mess - maybe use a different model?
    I agree, it seems there is a problem with the texture.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Oh nice! Thanks Genava!
    Holy crud, it's so well preserved!

I can't read baguette, sorry. Why do they think it may have been uncovered?
    Last edited by Rad; September 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM.

Genava's Avatar Senator

I can't read baguette, sorry. Why do they think it may have been uncovered?
    The wooden planks were preserved but not the cover. They found a small fragment of textile but they are not sure if it was a cover attached to the shield or something else on the shield.

It could be the case that the fabric/leather rot away and that the wood survived. I believe it happened on a few Viking era shields.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Exactly, but it could have been something else too.

Impressive units! Makes me want to do a Boii campaign and migrate to cisalpine. I think EB2 does a great work showing how despite the name hellenistic period, the west may as wel be in the keltic period - the influence of celtic culture all around is massive.

The new units seem to be of better quality...but why are you making those far away screenshots ? It's impossible to look at the details...suspicious...

No, the feast circles aren't in game in the 2.3.
    Archeologicaly, this classification has been made with the presence of some objects in the tombs (amphorae, dinking objects, cooking objects, ...). So, I'm curious to know what will be the trigger for thoses levels (wealth, command stars, ...).
    I'd post the trait and trigger code for you as a sneak peek, but TWC is quite difficult about posting any sort of EDCT code(blocks access to the site when I try to do so). The system isn't perfect, but it involves Influence, the CelticKingetos trait, the merc traits, the Drink trait to a lesser degree, but not much of the Wealthy trait, unfortunately(design oversight by me). That last item will probably change in the future, but atm the system is pretty complex if you ask me, and all archaeological detectable levels of the hierarchy will be represented in game(although you could argue that the 3rd circle/4th tier should be left out since that wouldn't include nobles, but we included it to add more flavor to the game and more balance in the form of negative trait levels for CelticFeast).

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Impressive units! Makes me want to do a Boii campaign and migrate to cisalpine. I think EB2 does a great work showing how despite the name hellenistic period, the west may as wel be in the keltic period - the influence of celtic culture all around is massive.
    It worked both ways actually. The Greeks had colonized coastal Italy, France, Spain, Libya, Bulgaria, southern Ukraine and Russia long before the Hellenistic period, as far back as the Archaic period actually. They influenced the Celtic, Iberian, Illyrian, Thracian, and other native peoples of these regions with their trade goods, military technology, and in some cases with their sophisticated literate culture. In that same token, the Macedonian Greeks, the Attalids of Anatolia, and the Ptolemies of Egypt were keen to adopt some of the military equipment and fighting styles of the Celtic Galatians who invaded mainland Greece and Anatolia in the 3rd century BC. Some of these Celtic peoples even became kleruchoi landholders and professional soldiers in Ptolemaic Egypt, as our glorious EBII mod even demonstrates.

The Romans brought Celts to the Eastern Mediterranean with them too, as auxiliary soldiers who also served as mercenaries serving at the highest bidder. A great example of that would be the Celtic (and Germanic) Gabiniani who lived in Ptolemaic Egypt. They arrived with the Roman proconsular governor of Syria Aulus Gabinianus, who, after appropriate funding by the First Triumvirate and roman bankers, invaded Ptolemaic Egypt to restore Ptolemy XII Auletes (father of the famous Cleopatra VII) to the throne, toppling the rule of his rebellious daughter Berenice IV. The Gabiniani stayed in Egypt afterwards and assimilated into the Hellenistic Greek culture of Alexandria, even taking on local wives while still retaining their fearsome Celtic and Germanic fighting styles and habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuchatel View Post
    The new units seem to be of better quality...but why are you making those far away screenshots ? It's impossible to look at the details...suspicious...
    I must confess... I did a fair bit of squinting

Bodyguards of Herod the Great were germanics and gauls, I think.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Whats suspicious? If you look at the feed you'll see that I make all screenshots like that

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    Whats suspicious? If you look at the feed you'll see that I make all screenshots like that
    Look at the preview of the Mandonai (19 march) and explain me why units are no longer previewed like that.

Look at the preview of the Mandonai (19 march) and explain me why units are no longer previewed like that.
    Because the new previews were done by a...

...different person.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Because the new previews were done by a...

...different person.
    It doesnt justify the decrease in quality.
    Taking good screenshots is not rocket science.

Anyway, I like the new units, the models are very good! Nice work

they dont need to justify it to you mate.

I can see the units just fine in these last previews and they do look great.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

My english being not great, it's sometimes difficult for me to distinguish who is just trolling or not. But the advantage with you is that i haven't the slightest doubt that you are the complete idiot you seem to be.