Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Libertus

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Since I know almost nothing on the famous Barcid casemates, could someone explain more about it? I'm really curious on what archaeology says about it.
    The casemates were a common eastern trait and in the Punic world allowed mercenaries and other troops to be settled in the cities. These were the places where the Hannibalic army for example spent the winter before the invasion of Italy.
    Excavations in Carthago Nove have uncovered three sections of the original Punic wall. The first portion is a thirty meter stretch of the eastern wall. The city was enclosed by two parallel walls of beveled ashlars in opus quadratum, joined by perpendicular inner walls in opus africanum to form casemates for the storage of arms, provisions, and equipment. These compartments were arranged in sets of threes, with access to the middle compartment through the interior wall and entrance to the wings from the middle room.(Asensio and Sánchez 2007, 8.) You can read here about it:
    https://yadi.sk/i/97lbXM6SIJ2Eiw

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    How do the shooting walls work in the game?
    Well, they shoot an kill (like tower)

Quote Originally Posted by jany248 View Post
    Morigaizoi is new units or reworked old one?
    Reworked Celtiberian spearmen. I guess we will see the new swordsmen as well.

Libertus

BTW, the inner side of the casemates:
    https://imgur.com/a/KA4JNTE

Quote Originally Posted by AriovistusSuebus View Post
    BTW, the inner side of the casemates:
    https://imgur.com/a/KA4JNTE
    Loved it! Thanks for the brief explanation on casemates Ariovistus. +1 rep from me.
    The inner side of the casemate looks even better, I love what you did with the doors where the infantry appears on the walls, no more the gamey black doors that has units appearing from the void. Really good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I think I can live with the hands and other details.
    I might wanna check the unit closer.
    Last edited by Rad; June 22, 2019 at 05:16 PM.

Comparing it with the previous model, I would say that the new one looks less polished on the small details like the hands, faces and equipment looks more blurry, however, overall, the new model looks a lot better and more adjusted to the probable look of that time. The older model looked more gamey. If you want to do a quick comparison, check the thread about the screenshots of the units:

And also, the new model has a lot more variation than the older one.

Edit: It seems that Ariovistus uploaded a video about a new wonder that he did. Go see it! It's very nice!
    Last edited by Lusitanio; June 22, 2019 at 05:49 PM.

Yup, I love the new colors, the gear and the variety. I hope the unit card gets redone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Not quite sure if I like the retexture for the Morigaizoi, I understand that its needed due to historical accuracy but the new textures etc. almost always on the new units looked worse, to be frank. For example the hands on the older units could be a mixed bag but some were done great, with detailed fingers and a closing fist. The new ones at times just have the spear glued to the half open hand. Other problems with the weird lighting on helmets, clipping issues, somewhat bland in comparison to older units and so on.

Love your work guys just voicing my opinion.

Well, speaking about details, unlike the older unit, this new one shows the telamon which was a leather strap linked to the shield by means of rings that complemented the use of the handgrip. Currently, it is rolled up on the arms of the warriors. The shield also shows the iron staples that unite the wooden piece with the handgrip. So, IMHO this unit is more detailed in its own way (at least in the historical more important stuff). I much prefer the new unit, but to each their own

I like it. The original version was too heavily armored in my opinion. This one is more colorful, the shields and clothes are awesome. I am still waiting for my detailed in-game zoom test, but I think I can live with the hands and other details.
    You are right, the old one was too heavily armored. I also love the new colorful tunics and the patterns, which are based on Numantine pottery examples.

Also the weapons are more historically accurate: both the thrusting spear and the scabbards (from the ones made of leather for antennae swords to the ones made of wooden for the local La Tene swords)

What about the mail armor? I haven't seen mail in a tube and yoke pattern before.

With the Celtiberians being remodeled, will they be restated to fit their new models? The new Celtiberian Spearmen models look less armored than the old ones.

Also, will the old models be used as the late armor upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    Also, will the old models be used as the late armor upgrade?
    I don't think so. They are too different in style. That being said, I am all for a new late version

In that particular instance, they have an early and late model, via armour upgrade.

I remember reading about the team managing to find a fix for the cavalry shield clipping issue. Is this true and if so, can we expect to see it in the next patch?

I remember reading about the team managing to find a fix for the cavalry shield clipping issue. Is this true and if so, can we expect to see it in the next patch?
    It's a partial fix, for those using javelins and overhand spears (we have our own custom animation for those which accommodates longer shields). No fix for underarm spears or swords/axes/maces.

Seems like a good time to churn out spear armed cavalry

Btw, did carthage used Phalangites?.

I ask this because I read in Peter Conolly's book "Hannibal and the enemies of Rome" that the Liby-Phoenicians were armed in the Macedonian manner.

I asume this is outdated info, right?

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    Btw, did carthage used Phalangites?.

I ask this because I read in Peter Conolly's book "Hannibal and the enemies of Rome" that the Liby-Phoenicians were armed in the Macedonian manner.

I asume this is outdated info, right?
    Yep. This is very controversial. Mostly, this is due to a wrong translation of Polybius about the battle of Cannae. Here the text:

"Hannibal at the same time sent his slingers and pikemen (Baliareis kai logkhophorous) over the river and stationed them in front, and leading the rest of his forces out of camp he crossed the stream in two places and drew them up opposite the enemy. On his left close to the river he placed his Spanish and Celtic horse facing the Roman cavalry, next these half his heavy-armed Africans, then the Spanish and Celtic infantry, and after them the other half of the Africans, and finally, on his right wing, his Numidian horse.""

BUT logkhophorous do not mean pikemen. Longche/logkhe is meaning spearhead, javelin or a common spear.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

For what it's worth, we've deleted the "Libyan Phalanx" from our list of intended units.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Keep up the great work guys!
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Now would be a good time to brighten my day with a new unit. Just sayin...