Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    What are those thin leather vests they wear? Are they armor? They're very interesting. I'd like to see what they're based on.
    One more question. Some troopers in the middle version seem to be carrying soliferra in melee. How often was that done aside from improvisations prompted by emergencies?
    Last edited by Rad; June 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM.

One more question. Some troopers in the middle version seem to be carrying soliferra in melee. How often was that done aside from improvisations prompted by emergencies?
    A soliferra is a solid chunk of iron robust enough to be thrown repeatedly. If you already had it in your hand, why wouldn't you use it in melee?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    A soliferra is a solid chunk of iron robust enough to be thrown repeatedly. If you already had it in your hand, why wouldn't you use it in melee?
    My question specifically excluded it's-the-weapon-you-have-atm type scenarios

Why wouldn't one use it in melee? Because there might be better alternatives. Someone please correct me if I am wrong (it's why I asked the question in the first place), but I don't believe the soliferrum was designed to be used in melee.

Info on the weapon's usual dimensions, mass and mass distribution would be a great step forward in my understanding of it.
    Last edited by Rad; June 10, 2020 at 01:58 PM.

Tiro

Unless Trarco or any other member wants to add any other specific info you could just check the wiki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliferrum
    https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliferreum

Those two are the english and spanish version

As both arent the same text, bit more detailled the spanish page, ill try to translate this small paragraph that explains the photo on the botton right ( there you can see a bended soliferra )
    wiki quote "Al fallecer el guerrero ibérico, y como sucedía con todas sus demás armas, el soliferreum era doblado, inutilizado y enterrado junto con su dueño," says something like " At iberian warrior death, and as it happened with all the rest of his weapons, the soliferra was bended, renderinig it useless and buried with his owner."

From the spanish version of the page you can reach this other link
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Soliferreum with some photos too

Regards:

melvidh
    Last edited by melvidh; June 10, 2020 at 10:45 PM.

I read the English Wiki article, it did not give me the info I looked for. The Spanish version is better, mostly because of the pictures. I guess the answer lies in regional academic articles, just like most niche historical information. Unfortunately, I don't know Spanish.

Thank you for your time and effort, it is most appreciated

Rad

Late version looks great! Well done!

What are those thin leather vests they wear? Are they armor? They're very interesting. I'd like to see what they're based on.
    Yes, it is an organic armour. Apparently, in the archaic Iberian period, they were used in combination with the bronze cardiophylakes by the champions.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

However, the bronze expensive armours disappeared since the 4th century BC (Mature Phase: c. 400-c. 240 BC). In this "Middle period", it seems that, according to some Iberian figurines, the organic part of the armour was still used. There are several examples, here you can see two of them:

Some studies based on Archaeological reenactment suggest that this armour was very flexible and protected vital parts of the body without limit the movements.

Don't worry, they aren't carrying soliferra in melee. They are only used as a throwing weapon, in fact, all the horsemen use Iberian thrusting spears in melee. The soliferrum has the same function as the Roman pilum. Both of them can be used in mele if needed (emergency moment) but that's not the main purpose of these weapons.
    Last edited by Trarco; June 11, 2020 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    Yes, it is an organic armour. Apparently, in the archaic Iberian period, they were used in combination with the bronze cardiophylakes by the champions.

However, the bronze expensive armours disappeared since the 4th century BC (Mature Phase: c. 400-c. 240 BC). In this "Middle period", it seems that, according to some Iberian figurines, the organic part of the armour was still used. There are several examples, here you can see two of them:

Some studies based on Archaeological reenactment suggest that this armour was very flexible and protected vital parts of the body without limit the movements.
    Thank you Trarco! Those stone figures are beautiful! They must have been quite a sight to see in their prime.
    I can imagine such vests stopping some cuts without being cumbersome to wear. It's interesting that the bronze plates got ditched.

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    Don't worry, they aren't carrying soliferra in melee. They are only used as a throwing weapon, in fact, all the horsemen use Iberian thrusting spears in melee. The soliferrum has the same function as the Roman pilum. Both of them can be used in mele if needed (emergency moment) but that's not the main purpose of these weapons.
    I guess it's just me seeing things. I associate the animation in which the javelins aren't visibile in the shield hand with melee and I thought I saw one trooper carrying a soliferrum in his main hand in such a "javelinless" animation.

Also, I want to add that their equipment evolution (shields, helmets, body armor, swords) is truly magnificent!
    Last edited by Rad; June 11, 2020 at 02:33 PM.

Hi guys,

As there is a lot of new content shown on your Twitter, pardon me for asking this but:

Does it mean a new update is cookin'?
    Last edited by Just let me post; June 14, 2020 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    Does it mean a new update is cookin'?
    Or it means that someone had some free time to post the images on twitter

The patch is definitely in the oven.

Sounds hot

Just remember to take it out in time, it shouldnt stay there for long or it might burn. Plus, We cant wait too long as everyones hungry already. Its been like 1,5 years since this delicious dish was served

Preview a new unit or release the patch. The magic of beer comands thee!
    Last edited by Rad; June 20, 2020 at 03:11 PM.

I have Antigonus Gonatas locked in a cage in my basement. Release the patch or else I'll light his hair on fire

Late Lusitanian Cavalry are on Twitter

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

new unit on the feed: Gallaecian infantry
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

My compliments on the new unit. A lot of Iberian additions lately. Thank you for your hard work and attention to detail.

New Gallaecian infantry look nice

1. They're spearmen now?

2. Will there be a late version?

3. What kind of belt are they wearing? I am not asking about the baldric.

Yes, the Callaecians are now spearmen.