Page 5 of 268 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

the map! yay!
    --------------Arengada--------------

Am I this dumb to not have seen the EB2 map - yet?
    Or you guys still yet to release a screenie of said map ?

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

We haven't released a screenshot of the new map yet, so don't worry.

I was referring to this:
    Admiring the new map, made by Spartan Warrior. Still needs to be polished, but damn it looks cool! -Praetor-

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

This is an alternative charging animation for the hoplite, with an underhand thrust. This does not delete the overhand thrust of the hoplite, or any other overhand animation for the matter. It is rather an exceptional alternative for the hoplite that wants to surprise the enemy at the last minute, by changing the direction of the thrust:

The soldier thrusts with the buttspike of his spear, which could also be used as a weapon in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by k_raso View Post
    We haven't released a screenshot of the new map yet, so don't worry.
    WHAT-A-BIG-RELIEF- OLOL

This is an alternative charging animation for the hoplite, with an underhand thrust. This does not delete the overhand thrust of the hoplite, or any other overhand animation for the matter. It is rather an exceptional alternative for the hoplite that wants to surprise the enemy at the last minute, by changing the direction of the thrust:

The soldier thrusts with the buttspike of his spear, which could also be used as a weapon in some cases.
    OMF !
    That is some insane (and for insane i mean GREAT !) animations !

I think it made me pee a little !

That animation is xceptional. Not only does he surprise his enemy with a hip thrust but also it could act as a push-back ability, for those who enjoy Diablo II, this could act like the Paladin's 'Charge' ability, not only stunning the enemy but hurting the front-line of the enemy and indeed pushing his enemy back and away from the front-line. This alows the Hoplite enough time and space to swing the spear up and over his head, thrusting it down on his enemy from a safe distance.

That is outstanding!! Excellent quality! Are you going to do the same with other units?
    Last edited by Almogaver; October 07, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Perfecto.

Those animations are simply amazing !

They are the best video game animations I have seen in my life!
    =-o

Indefinitely Banned

Some criticisms: units can only pick from one charging animation, so that means every hoplite whacks people with the buttspike on charging. Further I think there will be massive clipping when he rotates the spear. Also you should acknowledge you are basing it off the M2TW animations.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

*jawdrop*

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai! View Post
    Some criticisms: units can only pick from one charging animation, so that means every hoplite whacks people with the buttspike on charging.
    Go read the "descr_skeleton.txt" before making rash assumptions like that one.

Further I think there will be massive clipping when he rotates the spear.
    From the .org forum:

The hoplite does six movements:

1) Change the direction of the spear, presenting its buttspike to the enemy rather than its head.

2) Lowers the spear to hip level

The soldier does these two movements in one sitting. In this movement (which are two movements in one) there's no danger of hitting anyone in the back, for the spear moves in a vertical plane, in 90º in relation to the ground. This results in the following consequences:

a) It doesn't collide with the hoplite to the right of the charging soldier, since the spear moves in a 90º plane and passes between both soldier's shoulders.

b) Since other hoplites in the back would have been aligned with the hoplite in the front, the spear would have passed between the shoulders of the two hoplites to the back, and wouldn't have hitted anyone.

3) Prepares the strike

No problem, the hoplite moves the spear in a short and straight vector to the back, and thus doesn't collide with his brethren for the same reason as letter b) above. Besides, the hoplite tilts his chest to the side to make room for the strike without bothering his brother to his right.

4) Strikes

No problems with this.

5) Pulls out the spear

Same as movement 3).

6) Returns to the overhand guard position, rotating the spear and elevating the shoulder.

This movement may cause some problems, because the hoplite moves the spear in a 45º angle, and it might collide with the legs of the soldier to the right. This has already been corrected in the animation, and now the hoplite moves the spear in the same movement plane described in point 1).

Also you should acknowledge you are basing it off the M2TW animations.
    Bravo! You guessed right! That's precisely the game we are modding!

Bravo! You guessed right! That's precisely the game we are modding!

Dis made me LoL jahahaha

I always enjoy sarcasm...

Nice explanation from the .org forum by the way.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

From twitter:

Quote Originally Posted by Tux
    the new british chariot model is finished
    Will they suck in EB2 as much as they sucked in EB1 where even skirmisher cavalry was stronger? :-)

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

3) Prepares the strike

No problem, the hoplite moves the spear in a short and straight vector to the back, and thus doesn't collide with his brethren for the same reason as letter b) above. Besides, the hoplite tilts his chest to the side to make room for the strike without bothering his brother to his right.
    I don't want to argue, but I think that short before the strike the hoplite turns his hips - in reality it's very hard to make trick with twistisng your chest, but keeping your hips steady. I mean, you can turn your torso horizontally not only in your waist or hips, but also in higher point, like chest. But it is very hard to master. And hoplite on the animation makes a very quick attack. I suppose that an average trained hoplite would do this by turning his hips, and chest at the same time, to give his attack additional power - and then he would withdraw his armed arm (nomen omen), and hit his rear companion, what is noticeable on the animation...

Under the patronage of m_1512

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

that animation looks great! i can just imagine ranks of hoplites charging now.....not that im drooling or anything okay maybe i am

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    From twitter:

Will they suck in EB2 as much as they sucked in EB1 where even skirmisher cavalry was stronger? :-)
    If they even improve by 50% they will kill 600men per battle in stead of 400.

You do have to use them right of course.

Icon14 Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Hi,

i just read the Provinces & Authorithy update on twitter. Unbelivable!!!!!

Amazing work!!!!

We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

Richard Dawkins