Thread: Empire Mod Questions & Recommendations

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: ETW Mods Recommendations & Queries Here

To sum it up, which bigger mod does the best job in making it worthwhile to play as the Marathas in India?

i think i dont understand "worthwhile" in this context,
    but i think maratha cant lose no matter what mod, if any, is used.

rebel mobs are absolute rubble, so you need not worry about that, just steamroll at highest possible speed
    Last edited by poa; February 09, 2016 at 11:35 PM.
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

This is not true! In my test with my mods (both "Orange Crush" and in my beta testing, Maratha would often get destroyed. They would rise up again, but then later fall. I probably have to re-balance the variables, but to say "no matter what" is not true in the case of my testing.

i meant as a player naturally.
    They have lost when mughal got larger start treasury too, altho not often,
    more commonly it becomes a very long struggle

Okay. I'm still poking around, and wondering if there's an CAI (and possibly BAI too) mod compatible with AUM, and starpos mod for 3TPY.

I am planning on releasing my Tactical Commander as a stand alone mod for vanilla. The files are in place, but it is not exactly behaving as it does in I.S. so I was to do some tweaking. I can do something with AUM as well, but it won't be too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I am planning on releasing my Tactical Commander as a stand alone mod for vanilla. The files are in place, but it is not exactly behaving as it does in I.S. so I was to do some tweaking. I can do something with AUM as well, but it won't be too soon.
    AUM is pretty much just unit pack for vanilla, so whatever works for vanilla should work with AUM.

Anyway...ETW is here for me just until new EBII release...

Unit spacing and balance can be issues.

Default Help with 2 mods

Hi friends,
    Im trying to find mods to change this 2 problems in the game:

- The preparation to fire of the infantry lines when you redirect them or just turned to some othe battalion is soooo slow, that often I lose a lot of them before starting to fire to the new battalion.

- Im searching a good mod for smarter Ai /both for politic campaign, and battles/, but to be separate from bigger mods as Darthmod. Just the parts of Ai change.

really hope you can help me

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by nikodine View Post
    Hi friends,
    Im trying to find mods to change this 2 problems in the game:

- The preparation to fire of the infantry lines when you redirect them or just turned to some othe battalion is soooo slow, that often I lose a lot of them before starting to fire to the new battalion.

- Im searching a good mod for smarter Ai /both for politic campaign, and battles/, but to be separate from bigger mods as Darthmod. Just the parts of Ai change.

really hope you can help me
    I cannot advise you on a mod to fix the first problem. I wonder if this problem is linked to the size (and shape) of your units - would it be worth trying a smaller unit size (and/or different formations, e.g. I believe that thick lines of infantry turn more quickly than thin lines).

If you would like a mod for better AI, which does not make significant other changes, then I suggest trying:-

Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Empire Total Factions

Both mods offer better AI both on the campaign map and battle-field. Empire Total Factions also unlocks minor and emergent factions, without making many other changes (non-military ports can recruit Fifth Rates, which makes it easier for minor factions to protect their trade ports from a naval blockade, and a better world map, but game-play generally remains the same). I suggest playing a campaign with each mod, to see which works better for you.

I believe that PikeStance is working on a 'vanilla' version of his AI mod for Imperial Splendour, which would be available for people who want a better AI without using Imperial Splendour. If such a mod is released, I would definitely recommend trying it. If I'm right, then obviously PikeStance can tell you more about it.
    Last edited by Alwyn; February 21, 2016 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I cannot advise you on a mod to fix the first problem. I wonder if this problem is linked to the size (and shape) of your units - would it be worth trying a smaller unit size (and/or different formations, e.g. I believe that thick lines of infantry turn more quickly than thin lines).

If you would like a mod for better AI, which does not make significant other changes, then I suggest trying:-

Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Empire Total Factions

Both mods offer better AI both on the campaign map and battle-field. Empire Total Factions also unlocks minor and emergent factions, without making many other changes (non-military ports can recruit Fifth Rates, which makes it easier for minor factions to protect their trade ports from a naval blockade, and a better world map, but game-play generally remains the same). I suggest playing a campaign with each mod, to see which works better for you.

I believe that PikeStance is working on a 'vanilla' version of his AI mod for Imperial Splendour, which would be available for people who want a better AI without using Imperial Splendour. If such a mod is released, I would definitely recommend trying it. If I'm right, then obviously PikeStance can tell you more about it.

Thank you so much
    I will try the Bran`s, because I tried the Factions before, and not work for men.
    The main idea is to find mod wich will work together with Empire: Total war - Bulgarian Campaign (2009), wich is great mod adding new minor factions etc.

thanks again, Alwyn

FYI, I do plan on releasing a Vanilla version of my BAI, Tactical Commander. At this time I do not have plans to release a "vanilla" version for the CAI. However, I did release aspects of it already; Orange Crush is a mod the limits the strength of Maratha Confederacy to be more historically accurate, Sea Power and the Slave Trade especially the economic overhaul. i will also do something similar with land units as I done for the Naval units in Sea Power. They may be other various stuff I produce, but the central concept for the CAI is centered around Imperial Splendour, which I consider to be a non- evasive mod.

Bran makes quality mods, so you can't go wrong there!

SimpleCourage47's Avatar Ducenarius

Hi all,

So I've never played empire and i was wondering a couple of things. Firstly, with the mods is it playable ? Or am i just going to get frustrated with it and not want to play anymore ?

On the assumption it is playable i would love to play a mod that is historically accurate, mainly units wise, but also gameplay features as well would be nice. Time period I'm easy with, i enjoy anything from 1700's to post Napoleonic wars.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming.

Hi SimpleCourage47, I think it's playable - I have enjoyed playing quite a few campaigns. I don't know what would frustrate you. Which aspects of vanilla ETW don't you like?

well he stated he has never play ETW

Good point, poa! My point is that different people don't like different aspects of the vanilla game. Some people hate siege battles, other don't mind them. Some people find the vanilla naval combat unrealistic because it's unhistorical for ships to move and turn as quickly as they do (they would probably prefer mods such as Imperial Splendour or Empire Realism); for some people, the priority in naval combat is more realistic auto-resolving and the idea that bigger ships are better (they would probably prefer your 'bigger is better' naval mod, poa); other people object to smaller ships having a longer range and some ships having excessive firepower but don't mind vanilla ship movement and don't see why ships of nations other than Britain, France and the United States should have lower statistics (they might want to try my Equal Navy mod).

Until someone has played ETW and until they can say which problems they want mods to solve, how can I tell them whether mods exist to fix those problems - and whether, therefore, it is playable for them?

Hi .. Please Help me!!!
    and I do really need help...

I can t play vanilla and I am desperate to play ETW again. I tried to mod it myself, but couldn t. I tried to take some interesting mod and mod it to my preferences (really small personal changes) but that was disastrous.
    I tried reinstalling some of my favorite mods but RIP, they are no longer available.

Please help me find a mod good enough or to make my own.

I will list my preferences to provide you some directions (not mandatory):

1 No Darthmod. It is not for me. Likes: unit sizes, nice combat, smoke and gun sounds. yes fire by rank/ No platoon fire.
    Dislikes: bad campaign balance, terrible naval movement points, too much money. Naval upkeep is just....strange (?). A lot of pointless units (somethingth line infantry), some of them with strange stats. starfort

2 ETR. Good mod, but annoyng modders preferences. Likes: good battle, good limited economy, good unit cap. good land unit roster. Yes fort/ No starfort
    Dislikes: No Ships larger than frigates, some annoyng restrictions regarding unit roster (example: no SoL, crazy naval crew rebalance). no smoke. no fire by rank

3 TROM. The greatest mod of all (to fit my preferences). Likes: great AoR (unlike darthmod). great battles. great economy. yes Fire by rank/ No platoon fire. great naval battles. yes fort/NO starfort.
    Dislikes : dead. Not up to date. I couldn t ask for a better mod.

really guys, I really apreciate darthmod and empire realism, both are great, but some personal choices from it`s developers are just not for me.

I have tried long ago Ape:Ti and liked it very much.

I dont really want a big mod. If I could I would have the simplest one with these features:
    fort YES,
    starfort NO,
    fire by rank YES,
    platoon fire NO,
    rebalanced naval combat (vanilla naval combat disgraces all that is good)
    unlimited/unchallenged economy (like DM) NO

I really could go vanilla with new naval balance and remove starfort and platoon fire, i tried to do it myself but had problems creating one. tried to mod patch 2 and 5 files trying to understand and replicate above mods files, but it was either too complex or crash inducing. I achieved some playable condition just to find units using platoon fire and starforts after several useless turns.

I tried contacting some modders to no effect.

ps/ I know several people uses a lot of small mods together with mod manager, I could go this way, but will need a detailed information of what and how to set it up
    Last edited by Charbel; March 23, 2016 at 08:49 PM.

If you seem me in a PM what you specifically like in each mod, then I can come up with something for you. Just curious, you seem to like TROM, but it doesn't have updates. What is it you want updated about the mod? If feasible, I can make the changes that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    If you seem me in a PM what you specifically like in each mod, then I can come up with something for you. Just curious, you seem to like TROM, but it doesn't have updates. What is it you want updated about the mod? If feasible, I can make the changes that way as well.
    I didint quite understand what you mean, english is not my 1st language.....

I can PM you detailed info, and I really liked TROM, but the mod is no longer active/it`s creators are not around anymore. I wish it could be updated to working status again.

You are saying you can come up with something = make a mod for me? or update TrOm ? or teach me the modding needed to do?

In anyway help is great appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Charbel View Post
    I didint quite understand what you mean, english is not my 1st language.....
    I can PM you detailed info, and I really liked TROM, but the mod is no longer active/it`s creators are not around anymore. I wish it could be updated to working status again.
    You are saying you can come up with something = make a mod for me? or update TrOm ? or teach me the modding needed to do?
    In anyway help is great appreciated
    Yes, you can PM me your details and I can; [1] see what I can do OR [2] Instruct you on how to make some changes.
    I noticed TROM isn't really supported and 1.7 is full of bugs, so it may not be a good platform.