Thread: Standard Group Formation Guide

Default Standard Group Formation Guide

Standard Group Formation Guide

Basically, leading a large army is the same as leading a few men; it's only a matter of breaking down the numbers.
    (Sun zi, The Art of War, chapter 5)
    Waging war can be a hectic matter. Especially in the heat of battle, it is easy to lose track of parts of your troops; this may result in an unnoticed cavalry attack to your flank or an infantry unit sneaking up to your general, decimating his bodyguards with firearms while you are busy somewhere else. To make things more manageable, the Total War series allows you to merge several units into a group that can be given orders which will be followed by all contained units.
    Additionally, when a group is formed, a set of standard formations are available to cover standard situations that may be encountered in the field. As this feature is documented sparsely (especially in the Empire installment of Total War), this guide is supposed to give an overview of which formations are available, their descriptions (that are available in the mouse-over popups in-game), their result (using a sample army) and a short discussion whether and how the available formations can be used to help you organize your army.

Grouping

I'm sure most if not all of you are aware of the grouping feature, but I'll include a description for completeness sake. I'll keep it short, feel free to skip to „Standard Formations“ though.

Unit selection

Units can be selected by either left-clicking them on the field or clicking their unit card on the bottom of the screen. A unit can be added to the current selection by holding Ctrl and selecting it. Additionally, several units can be selected by holding the left mouse button on the field and dragging the green selection box over the units that should be selected.

Creating a group
    When several units are selected, you can press Ctrl-<number> to create a group from the selected units; this group will be selected again by pressing the number key you used to define the group. You can alternatively press the „group“ button or the „g“ key; in this case, the group's number will be the lowest available one.

Standard formations

As soon as a group is formed, it can be given a standard formation. In the deployment phase, this will cause the units to be positioned according to the chosen formation immediately; during the battle, the units will march to the positions they need to occupy to build the formation.
    The standard formations are accessible by clicking the „formations“ button (to the left of the movement arrows in the button panel). This displays a new set of buttons from which the desired formation can be chosen. For each button, a popup is available showing the formation name, a short description and a hint how to use this formation.
    However, if you're anything like me, you haven't ever hovered over every button long enough to see them all; also, it is a matter of try-and-error which formation suits you most (if any). In the following, the available formations are listed, along with their descriptions; additionally, I assembled an army and tried out each formation, so a visualization for the effect of each formation will be available.

The sample Army
    This is the army I put together (British, late period, large funds):

• 1 general
    • 2 Regiments of Horse (melee cavalry)
    • 2 Light Dragoons (missile cavalry)
    • 2 6-lber Horse artillery
    • 2 24-lber Howitzer Foot artillery
    • 2 Grenadiers
    • 2 Greenjackets (light infantry)
    • 2 Guards (Elite infantry)
    • 4 Line infantry

The army is supposed to be diverse rather than realistic, since the important thing was to show the positioning of each unit type within the group after applying the formation.

Legend to unit positioning diagrams

Formation list

Note that all text from now on is not mine but taken from the popup description of the mouse-over (some more or less paraphrased).

Single line standard

Description: This arranges your grouped units into a single line.
    Tactical: A single line will be easier to break through if charged;it is useful if there are few units to manage and will give you a wider firing area.
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-4
    Sample army position:

Single line, cavalry left

Description: This arranges your grouped units into a single line with cavalry on the left flank
    Tactical: Used in attack or defence; strengthen your left flank and use that flank to lead an attack
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-5
    Sample army position:

Single line, cavalry right

(this is analogue to single line cavalry right; the unit positions are exactly mirrored)
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-6

Double line standard

Description: infantry and artillery are placed in the first line, cavalry in second
    Tactical: Infantry and artillery support each other and cavalry is kept as reserve to support defence and attack enemy flank.
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-2
    Sample army position:

Double line screened

Description: First line: light infantry and light cavalry; second line: infantry and artillery
    Tactical: If ambushed, the first line takes most of the attack and stronger units are safe and ready to counter the attack; the first line is used to look for hidden enemies ahead of main group.
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-3
    Sample army position:

Triple line standard

Description: First line: light infantry; second line, infantry and artillery; third line, cavalry
    Tactical: The first line contains light infantry to look for hidden enemies; non-missile cavalry is kept in reserve to support defence and counter-attack
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-7
    Sample army position:
    (this is exactly like double line standard, with the melee cavalry positioned a line back)

Triple line integrated artillery

Description: First line: light infantry; second line, infantry and artillery; third line, cavalry
    Tactical: The first line contains light infantry to look for ambushes; this is a defensive formation: infantry and artillery support each other; artillery cannot move as fast, if used for attack, this may leave holes in the formation which may be exploited by the enemy
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-9
    Sample army position:

Triple line grand battery

Description: First line: light infantry, artillery; second line: infantry; third line: cavalry
    Tactical: The light infantry in the first line is used to look for ambushes; can be used for attack and defence; the artillery grouping means you can concentrate barrages; can be used to destroy specific units or cover advance; in defence, can be used to defend your army's weak spot, mowing down attacking enemies
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-8
    Sample army position:

Column infantry vanguard

Description: Units aligned in a column
    Tactical: useful to move over bridges with strong infantry in front; can leave flanks vulnerable to attack
    Keyboard shortcut: Alt-1
    Sample army position:

Discussion

General points

• Cavalry is never positioned directly behind infantry
    • The artillery positioning does not differentiate between cannons (i.e., direct-fire) and howitzers
    • The general is always in the center backmost position

Advantages

• allows quick reaction to standard situations
    • reduces micro-management of unit positions
    • setting a formation keeps relative positions of the grouped units while allowing to change file and rank with RMB-drag positioning

Drawbacks

• not much variety between the different formations
    • chances are, you still need to finetune the formation

(As a side note with regards to grouping in general, doubleclicking a group tab does not center on the group anymore, a feature I still find myself trying to use (it used to do that up to I think RTW); also, it would be very helpful if single units could also be assigned a number shortcut.)
    Obviously, the more units are contained in a group, the more management burden can be taken avoided using the standard formations functionality; however, selecting the whole army to be managed using SFs goes against the point of grouping in the first place.
    However, the groups I myself put together when playing largely consist of units of the same type (like Line Infantry or Cavalry); this in turn means that standard formations like „cavalry left“ aren't of much use. Up to now, I've basically only used „Single line standard“ and „Column“. But, after creating the diagrams in this post, I think I will try out the Integrated Artillery and Grand Battery next time I play; all in all, I am a bit disappointed though.
    I'd be interested to hear if, how and how much you use standard formations. Hopefully, after reading this post, you'll give them a thought, maybe try them out for yourself (if you haven't already), of course judge for yourself.
    Feedback warmly welcome!
    Last edited by Iskar; June 21, 2017 at 04:12 AM. Reason: removed obscene content/corrupted images

Default Re: Standard Group Formation Guide

Actually I'd just like to know how to move my groups in formation. For example, if I arrange my troops like so:

Inf Inf Inf
    Cav Inf Cav

And I move them in a group to a specific point, I want them to end up in the SAME formation. NOT:

Cav Inf Inf Cav Inf Inf

which is what it seems to do now...
    "If you are the Sultan, come and lead your armies. If I am the Sultan, I hereby order you to come and lead my armies."
    - Mehmed II (the Conqueror of Istanbul) to Murad II, his father, before the Battle of Varna in 1444)

Very useful Daniu (this post, not the formations). I find the big formations virtually useless, they could be useful at deployment, but even then I tend to place mine more precisely than those (depending on terrain etc.)

Personally I'd like to see more single type formations (I.e. All infantry, all cavalry etc.), just simple single, double, triple line - just how many rows they should be in.

Re custom formations Mir24, place units in the formation you want (while not in groups) and only group them once you are ready. Hey Presto! When you move the group they will stay how you set them. The problem with this functionality is that it can be difficult to change unit depth when they are so grouped.

Franbo
    Last edited by Franbo; April 06, 2009 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mir24 View Post
    Actually I'd just like to know how to move my groups in formation. For example, if I arrange my troops like so:

Inf Inf Inf
    Cav Inf Cav

And I move them in a group to a specific point, I want them to end up in the SAME formation. NOT:

Cav Inf Inf Cav Inf Inf

which is what it seems to do now...
    Every time you use the preset formations after you group units they become fluid and won't retain their shape. Try it with 2 line infantry during a deployment. Select both, group, then drag them into shape... notice how they are stuck in their relative positions statically? Now once you use the preset formation button on them (say single line standard) they become fluid and can be dragged as a group into shape.

The trick to moving groups without having them deform is to ungroup and then regroup them before issuing the move order. Ungrouping them breaks the fluid formation and it remains static when you regroup them until you use another formation button.

Brilliant! Thanks! +rep to you.
    "If you are the Sultan, come and lead your armies. If I am the Sultan, I hereby order you to come and lead my armies."
    - Mehmed II (the Conqueror of Istanbul) to Murad II, his father, before the Battle of Varna in 1444)

Quote Originally Posted by Franbo View Post
    Very useful Daniu (this post, not the formations).
    Thanks and I mostly agree (about the uselessness of the formations, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Franbo View Post
    I find the big formations virtually useless, they could be useful at deployment, but even then I tend to place mine more precisely than those (depending on terrain etc.)
    Personally I'd like to see more single type formations (I.e. All infantry, all cavalry etc.), just simple single, double, triple line - just how many rows they should be in.
    Yes, big formations as I displayed are really useless (I just wanted to try out what happens with large armies since MTW but never got around to). I tend to use double lines of infantry, so what I do is group two inf, select Column formation, stretch them out, this is usable.

Also, as I said, I wanted to play around with the integrated artillery formations, and I did. Now, get this:

You select some infantry and arty (I had 4 LI and 1 horse arty, respectively), set Grand Battery. Nice lineup, arty in front.
    Now, you start marching. Instead of staying in formation, the horse artillery actually marches faster and basically runs away from the infantry!

But that's not all. I manually stopped and restarted the arty to stay in formation, so they reached their position fine. Then, I unlimbered the artillery; what happened was that due to the unlimbering, the artillery moves back a bit, into the line infantry behind!

With STW with its limited unit types, the formations were a bit useful; but it's messed up now. No wonder they didn't document this.

well, those pictures became very explanatory through these years.. lol
    this deserves to be revived lol

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee