Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SPARTA 3] A Corinthian AAR

Default Re: [SPARTA 3] A Corinthian AAR

i have played a few turns and Persia starts to conquer Numidian lands in Africa Rome is not in a good condition after the defeats they had, but the faction that will be destroyed first is a Greek one. Not by Corinthian swords Situation in Greece is changing quickly. Alliances are canceled and old friends have become new enemies

Macedonia was,is and will always be Hellenic.
    it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

ah i thought you meant the next one you would take. so athens?

have the persians not attacked greece in a big way?
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

No, it is not Athens but a neighbor of them
    Because i became an ally with the Persians, immediately my Greek allies stopped the war and now Persians are in war only with the Spartans and Numidians. One Greek Faction has expanded a lot and might become a serious threat later.

curious ~ how this is going. thessaly on its way out or aetolians?

you became an ally of persia! thats the kind of thinking that stopped greece conquering the world ...

so has athens or sparta expanded, maybe macedon, i noticed that the mac's start taking northern territories rather than attack greek ones, so could expand quite far.

so persia has not attacked scythia like they do when you play as them?
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

PART 4: THE BESIEGE OF SALONA
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SUMMER 376 B.C.
    The Thessalians managed to push the Aetolians from their lands but had not expected that the Athenians would attack them. They were besieged
    and the gates suddenly opened to their surprise. Athenian spies had managed to open them and hope was lost for the unprepared Thessalians.
    They fought bravely but could not avoid their destiny. Athenians now are getting stronger and that makes the Spartans worry. At the meantime
    Cretans managed to conquer Rhodes island from the Spartans. That was a shock for Spartan society and a great failure that made the rest of
    the Greeks think that Sparta might not be the supreme power they were declaring they were.

WINTER 375 B.C.
    Back to the Corinthian affairs now. While these things were happening in Greek mainland Gauls besieged Salona and Etruscans were besieging Tarentum. We had enough troubles already and we didn't need 2 more enemies but we could not help it. We had to defend our cities and that's what we did! Salona were not heavily defended but Tarentum was. The serious problem was that we did not have any army nearby to assist them. Would they make it?

Numidians are in a very bad position. War with Persia from the east and with Carthage from the west. Things are not promising for them. Spartans decided to have a ceasefire with the Persians since they are busy fighting the Cretans right now.

The governor of Tarentum Pharsanzes is young, full of energy and brave and decides to meet the Etruscans outside the city walls. He wants to show his valor in battlefield and that noone can besiege a Corinthian city if he is inside and avoid the consequences. He is not a great commander according to the rumours but he has a strong army to command. Elite, armoured and regular hoplites combined with archers and skirmishers can be a deadly combination if they get the right orders from a general. He just has to prove this theory, after all the numbers are on his side!

A decisive victory but with many losses. He cannot be as proud as he would wanted to be, that's for sure.

Between Rome and Capua our faction leader Herakles leads his army against the Roman army that was preparing to invade our lands. He has not a great advantage in numbers but he is a better general than Publius Maxentius and is going to prove it.

A victory with many casualties. These Romans are a hard opponent to fight and Herakles knows it. We must not let these people expand and become stronger. They have to be exterminated the soonest possible Herakles tells his soldiers and he is going to make it he promises to his loyal soldiers.

Pharsanzes after the victorius battle in Tarentum sent a reinforcement force to Salona to assist the defenders but before they get close enough the Gauls are attacking our city. Gauls cannot wait any longer. They know they are more and can't wait to pillage a Greek city.

Salona has a small guard of regular, armoured and mercenary hoplites. They have to hold if they want to survive.

This is the army they have to face.

Captain Spartocus who was in command of Salona knew that he had to trap the Gauls in the narrow streets of Salona where our superior phalanx could not be flanked and kill those ruthless savages and that is what he did. Gauls smashed the weak wooden walls of ours and entered without resistance the city. Their moves were slow, so self confident for the final outcome. This arrogant way of thinking was clearly a mistake that we had learnt when we faced the romans a few years ago and was time to make Gauls learn, this beautiful sunny day.

to be continued

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    curious ~ how this is going. thessaly on its way out or aetolians?

you became an ally of persia! thats the kind of thinking that stopped greece conquering the world ...

so has athens or sparta expanded, maybe macedon, i noticed that the mac's start taking northern territories rather than attack greek ones, so could expand quite far.

so persia has not attacked scythia like they do when you play as them?
    a)As you have just read it is Thessaly out.
    b)Keep your friends close and your enemies closer
    c)the answer is Macedon. they did expand northern Do you like the faction colours in the world map?
    d)Persians do not need the poor Scythian lands (yet).
    Last edited by salaminomaxos79; April 03, 2009 at 03:34 PM.

i kinda like the map colours, although as you know i like it darker ~ damn barbarian that i am. the gauls need to be browner and darker imo.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Heh, on my campaign 7 factions have been wiped out and it hasn't even been 100 turns yet!

Here are the factions that have been decimated:
    1. Corinth (by Athens)-Ally
    2. Sparta (by Athens)-Ally
    3. Eutrusca (by me the Romans)
    4. Macedonia (by Athens again!)-Ally
    5. Numidia [by Sparta (before they were annihilated)]
    6. Aetolia (by Persia)
    7. Gauls (by me)

Athens will die for killing off 3 of my Allies

Oh yeah, love the story of your campaign
    + rep
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; April 05, 2009 at 03:28 PM.

PART 5: THE GAULS AGAINST HELLENIC PHALANX

Our phalanx was waiting for them in the narrow streets of our city. The mercenary and armoured hoplites would try to kill as many Gauls could, while Captain Spartocus with his regular hoplites would be a back up, in case things went wrong. The first Gauls who attacked us:

Their cavalry tried to frighten our brave hoplites and create a crack to our phalanx.

Things are going according to our plan. We manage to hold their first attacking waves.

Their general with his bodyguards join the fight. We start to have many losses.

We do our best to hold our position but things are getting worse.

Our captain is ready for his turn to fight. Gauls are winning slowly ground.

Mercenaries and armoured hoplites still hold them before they reach our captain.

After many heavy losses they retreat to the town center. Time for the captain to prove the same courage with his ancestors.

The armoured hoplites return to fight and help their captain. A brave and noble decision.

The frightening faces and body painted bodies of the savage Gauls.

The tired Gauls start to rout while our fresh hoplites kill everyone who approaches.

After a few minutes their general dies and his soldiers seeing that, start to flee. Victory is ours. Salona is safe for now! An unexpected victory came true.

Thanks Quetzalcoatl and Holy Pilgrim for following the AAR.
    Last edited by salaminomaxos79; April 05, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Great AAR ! Good job on winning the battle

PART 6: THE TRIUMPH OF HERAKLES

SUMMER 374 B.C. Numidians managed to sign an alliance with Spartans but before they celebrate, bad news came from the iberian peninsula. Iberians declared war and things are getting very tough for them. A war with Iberia, Carthage and Persia is not something that any faction would like to face. They definitely need our assistance but we are very busy to help them no matter how hard Numidian diplomats try to persuade Herakles.
    In Greece Macedones declared war in Athens and managed to cancel the alliance of Athens with the Epirotes and Aetolians. This is a very interesting information for Herakles. We might be able to take advantage of the situation when we establish a better control of the Italian peninsula.

We send to Tarentum the units that had serious losses in previous battles. We need to be prepared to face the Romans and Etruscans who invade our lands!

Situation in Greece is not very optimistic for the Athenians. Chalkis is besieged by Cretans while a Spartan army is near Athens. Maybe the Athenian army in Larissa will need to assist Athens in case of a war with Sparta and leave Larissa weakly defended in a Macedonian invasion.

While Captain Rhoemetalces goes to reinforce the defeders of Capua a full stack of Etruscans attack them. The result of this battle is obvious. Defeat.

WINTER 374 B.C. Immediately we send more reinforcements to Capua. Romans are near our borders. Probably it is a plan Etruscans and Romans made, to conquer Capua. We must not allow that to happen!

SUMMER 373 B.C. For unknow reasons the Etruscans are getting away and Herakles knows he must deal with them before they join forces with those miserable Romans. He joins with the reinforcements and he is chasing them.

WINTER 373 B.C. Now we know why Etruscans did this "retreat". They wanted Herakles to chase them, while Capua would be weakly defended and their Roman allies could besiege it.

Herakles is determined to face the Etruscan army and then return to Capua and assist the defenders. Etruscans must not be left around looting our lands and create more troubles. Herakles has a strong army with many experienced soldiers and he is going to take advantage of it.

Etruscans had unexperienced levy soldiers and made our victory an easy triumph.

There is no rest for Herakles men. They have to go to Capua and save the city from the Romans!

Thank you KingTheoden1

Omg .. There's a vanilla pontus symbol

salami

great story still! i think you got the etruscans on the back foot, you could attack them but better to grind both them and the romans down.

i am glad the game made them allies ~ very considerate of it lols

hp

so the spartans need to be stronger? maybe i should bring their upkeep down to the same level as other elites.

theo

hmm where did that damn banner come from! ah it would take another 6 months to change everything, we got other things to do. having said that it will probably bug the hell out of me when i get to play this baby.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Nice AAR, mate!

Yea , almost as good as LC's Lulz AAR

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Nice AAR We knew that some factions will use the vanilla symbols and also that the names of the generals would be vanilla ones but it would take some time to change them and that would delay the release of the mod, so we let them the way they were!
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Yes Quetz, the Spartans need to kick butt, but not too much butt. I mean, they were killed off by turn 30! Those aren't the Spartans I know and love.

Btw, why do Spartans have a colony in Africa? I thought they never expanded beyond there homeland, or at least Greece.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I know that Herodotus spoke of a very short-lived colony in Africa by the Greeks, not sure if it was the Spartans though.

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

There was Cyrene colony and the settlers were from the island of Thera (my home land). Spartans had sent settlers in Thera so by this thinking they were Spartans in a way. also there was another colony that had taken special permission by the Pharao. Naucratis
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Elsie [], LC try changing the spartiates upkeep to 260 instead of 300, maybe we should add the hoplites that they have in custom battles, as a cheaper unit. i didn’t add them because i wanted them to just have spartiates mainly.

i think if you play as them it shouldnt be a problem, has anyone actually played as they yet?_! if you don’t then we could make a set of stats for the ai to use which includes cheaper spartan units.

either that or just make them real badass strong, like add 10 points to their stats or something mad.

PART 7: ROMANS ARE CONQUERED.

SUMMER 372 B.C. Roman spies warn their army that besiege Capua about the great victory of Herakles and decide that they should retreat since he is on their way and they do not have enough force to win him.

A small Gaulic army besieges Salona once again. Gauls have not heard that we got reinforcements and this time we have a bigger army than the last time. Captain Cotys has the orders to attack anyone who besiege Salona and that's what he is going to do.

An easy victory but with many losses. Certainly captain Cotys is not a skilled commander and perhaps should be replaced when we have enough royal family members.

Herakles continues to chase the Romans who besieged Capua and he attacks them, knowing that this time the defenders of Rome will join their brothers in this battle. He is eager to finish the war with the Romans right here right now. He is a clever general and has the best units available with him. Gods favour him and the omens are on our side. Clearly this battle will be a Roman slaughter he says to his troops and they are inspired by his personality and bravery!

We won but lost around 600 brave men. The roman losses were more and most importantly their capital's defense is weak now and they have no Etruscan reinforcements nearby. What would a capable general do in such an opportunity? Of course besiege and conquer Rome and wipe out the Romans for good!
    WINTER 372 B.C. The rams are ready to break the roman walls and the Corinthian army to conquer this rich city. Herakles does the necessary sacrifices to honour the 12 Gods and omens are favoring us once more. Herakles decides a full attack and orders to show no mercy to those Romans who killed so many friends and comrades of them in previous battles.

Romans know this might be their last day as free men and are not going to give in without a fight till the end.

Romans fought as good as they could but the numbers of the Corinthian soldiers could not be matched with their tiny force that had remained. A glorious day for Herakles and every Corinthian. A worthy enemy has passed away and will not trouble the Corinthians any more.

The happy news for the destruction of the Romans reach mainland Greece and everyone starts to know that Corinthians should not be underestimated from now on. Even the Spartans cancelled the invasion to Athens by fearing a naval invasion from Herakles. Macedones and Athenians stopped fighting and started concerning for the new Greek power called Corinth. Chalkis is probably going to fall in Cretan rule since no Athenian reinforcements have reached their city to assist them. The next year will be interesting.

thank you guys for the support

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast