Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Mount&Blade 1.01x] Concise Introduction to modding

Icon3 [Mount&Blade 1.01x] Concise Introduction to modding

Do you wish to make a mod of your own or simply edit the game a little?

There are basically two ways of modifying the game:
    - direct editing of text files, or
    - using the official module system

Generally by editing text files one can change the existing game to some extent,
    but not add new features to it. For that you will need the Module System.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Module system (for version 1.01x) is a set of python scripts that lets you create and/or modify content for Mount&Blade.

Tutorial on Using the Module System

Python version 2.6 or earlier is needed. Notice: The current module system does not support Python 3.0

Python not recognised ? Try this link.

Guide to installing Python in Windows Vista

Certain tools for editing the game (without using the module system) have been made:
    Item Editor
    Troop Editor

Map Editor is used to change the overland map.

Scene Editing Tutorial
    A.I. Mesh Tutorial

You will typically want to add new items to the mod. Fortunately some nice people offer their creations in
    OSP (Open Source Projects)

To install these OSP items you will sometimes need the Module System, but sometimes it can also be done without it - see each OSP.
    Installing New items Without Using Python

However one can also use anything from existing mods, as long as the maker is asked for permission.
    Generally the Modding Guidelines here at TWC apply.

If you have certain things that bother you in the game, I can advise looking through these links:
    Compilation of 82 little tweaks to the text files to change your gameplay (links)

Short summarized version: Customising the game -ini tweaks (v 1.00 +)

Lots of strange things out there to enhance your enjoyment:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Adorno1; March 30, 2010 at 02:57 AM.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

Default Re: [Concise Introduction to modifying M&B]

Thanks Adorno this is a really good start!

I'm just a little confused on downloading python at their page, do I need the binary one?

Oh yes, it's the:
    Python 2.6.1 Windows installer (Windows binary -- does not include source) or 2.5. Just not 3.0.

And I suggest you read the "Python not recognized" thread on how to install.
    If you're using Vista then here's a guide (but I'm still on XP so I haven't tried it myself):
    Guide to installing Python in Windows Vista
    Last edited by Adorno1; April 01, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

nope still on XP. thanks a lot man, I'm going to try this out!

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

The OSP and the troop editor are probably the easiest things to use also the item editor.
    The map editor is a real pain in the ass

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

I'm gonna have fun making some new trees, would like to do a new faction too, but I'm sure that's more involved.

troop editor is easy to use,but in the item editor,is it possible to change a weapon model?
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

No, the Item Editor is for editing only.
    If you want to add new items then try this link: Installing New items Without Using Python

messy

Looks like my error post was lost over the weekend...

Well since I don't know if anyone saw my post, I'll go ahead and put this back up. Basically I've got python 3.0.1 for windows installed. The module system installed, but this is what I receive when I try to launch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adorno1 View Post
    [fieldset]
    Python version 2.6 or earlier is needed. Notice: The current module system does not support Python 3.0

I know it's dumb. But that's how it is. Try the 2.6 version. And if you still have trouble, try some of the links on installing it.

Damnit! I knew that! where did I get it in my head to install the latest?? ok well I'll try that because I'm a couple weeks behind on projects anyway!

ok so now I am able to click on "module build" it runs through it's thing and that's it? Sorry I just don't have extra time to follow the tutorial thread at this moment

Okay then. Beforehand you should have made sure to right click the module_info file (select 'edit with idle') and choose the path of your mod.
    It could look something like this:

# Point export_dir to the folder you will be keeping your module
    # Make sure you use forward slashes (/) and NOT backward slashes (\)

export_dir = "C:/Program_files/Mount&Blade1.011/Modules/Test/"

The blue text is where you have the module you wish to build. Make sure that path is 100% correct.
    Then you build the module and are ready to edit the python files, and that's where my expertize begins to fade

hmm... I did check and I have a module_info.pry but have no option to "edit with idle"

thanks though I'll try playing with it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    hmm... I did check and I have a module_info.pry but have no option to "edit with idle"
    I just meant you right click the module_info.py file and choose 'edit with idle' to open it.
    If you have python installed that option should be there. And that's how you open all the python files to edit them.

yep I don't have it, I've already uninstalled 3.0 just running the 2.6 right now and no edit with idle, maybe I'll just reinstall 2.6 now.

You don't see this when right-clicking?

Strange...
    I don't know what could be wrong then (and you've installed python correctly).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast