Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for next release of stw thread.

Default Re: suggestions for next release of stw, bugs and reports thread.

Yea faction names should have capitals ~ I have changed them for you! The file is attached.

The cards are strange some people don’t get the athenian marine card whilst I do, the card is there as is the coding, I think the game gets confused sometimes with modfoldered mods. The only alternative is to make it not modfoldered. What cards are you missing?
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I just noticed that the Cretan faction leader starts out with chariot archers as a bodyguard, instead of Greek general's cavalry.

its only in desc strat, i just changed it [in attached file]. i will put it on the op of the release thread too.

still its better to have little mishaps like that and release, rather than have perfection 2 yrs later.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

i've seen that you don't know how to remove senate button... i think it is only changee the internal name of romans_senate faction (thanks to a member's senate mod)
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

i've seen that you don't know how to remove senate button... i think it is only changee the internal name of romans_senate faction (thanks to a member's senate mod)
    I tried to use the faction name change tool [cant remember the actual name] but it didn’t work for some reason, so I would have to change every entry of romans_senate in all relevant text files. Its not that hard I know, but I wanted this thing out before xmass and I thought there was more to do than just change the name.

Thanks for the info!

Default Re: suggestions for next release of stw thread.

As a suggestion...

How about you remove the largely pointless and inactive Briton faction and use it to represent the rebel kingdom of Egypt which was independent close to this timeframe. It'd be a nice excuse to sneak in a cool culture and army while at the same time counterbalancing the Persians in the east.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

How about you remove the largely pointless and inactive Briton faction and use it to represent the rebel kingdom of Egypt which was independent close to this timeframe. It'd be a nice excuse to sneak in a cool culture and army while at the same time counterbalancing the Persians in the east.
    that’s a good idea, but I rather like my unique units for the Britons, they give a hint at the culture. i want there to be as much individuality as possible, I was even thinking of remaking the faction in hi-res. Probably better to use the Numidia faction for Egypt and make the numidians a rebel faction. We do already have quite a few Egyptian units made that I could reskin, and perhaps make them allied to Athens.

good thinking

Yeah, Numidia would work just as well. Thanks for listening.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

I read somewhere that you can already build all units right from the start.
    It might get boring after awhile if nothing new shows up in time. You're basically stuck with the same armies over and over again if your quite far in your campaign.

Like I'm playing with Crete now. But after like 100 turns now I know all units and seen them enough. I still enjoy the campaign since this is my first campaign with this mod and some true challenges await me (I want to fight Sparta at its highest power!)

But perhaps make some unique hoplites AOR? So you can recruit them in certain cities? Like Spartiates in Sparta, etc.

Some new and exotic units would be a nice addition to your armies I think.

And did you guys already reached the maximum unit limit? Cuz I think you can model some more units and implement them in the game.

Other then that, keep up the great work! Its a great game!

It might get boring after awhile if nothing new shows up in time. You're basically stuck with the same armies over and over again if your quite far in your campaign
    Some factions can build all units from start, not all. There is so much variety of opposition as you expand over the map, and as other factions get new units, that I hoped it would stay interesting. We used all DMB slots [well i think there are 2-3 left at most], so we couldn’t possibly add even more units, so basically you would just get crappy units to start with and the game would be over before you even saw most units.

Even with AOR units, they would just be different versions of units that are already in game, but it is worth thinking about. If we make a stw4 I will have less factions and more units for each faction and for different builds ~ as that has been the main complaint with this one.

Chances are stw4 would mainly be a map of Greece and the nearby areas, this would enable me to add many more units.

As you are playing as crete you are not very central, perhaps try playing as macedon, athens or the romans, then you will see lots of change.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Edit2; see your in box lols
    Last edited by Amorphos; December 23, 2009 at 05:03 PM.

see edit

Citizen

Edit2; see your in box lols
    see edit
    I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    \
    Even with AOR units, they would just be different versions of units that are already in game, but it is worth thinking about. If we make a stw4 I will have less factions and more units for each faction and for different builds ~ as that has been the main complaint with this one.

Chances are stw4 would mainly be a map of Greece and the nearby areas, this would enable me to add many more units.

As you are playing as crete you are not very central, perhaps try playing as macedon, athens or the romans, then you will see lots of change.
    I will move on to Italy once I've done my business in Greece. My goal is to first test the Spartans. Then it's the Romans I will be after.

The idea of making a map around Greece sounds good. But consider this wisely since the upcoming mods Hegemonia City States and His Est Lacedaemon also feature this. I think it's good to stick with this large map so your mod differs from the rest. But perhaps cut off the northern part and maybe less lands at the east (like the border should be around east Turkey)?

for more units in DMB, use AlexTW.exe

You could change the character names in the next version (cretans with egyptian names, etc.)....
    Last edited by Agisilaos; December 24, 2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: merged double post

Quote Originally Posted by Conqistador View Post
    You could change the character names in the next version (cretans with egyptian names, etc.)....
    Aha!! So you played it!! Thats indeed a good found! I forgot to mention it myself

no, i seen that in your screendhots... you could change the battle odds image to all show hellenics

The idea of making a map around Greece sounds good. But consider this wisely since the upcoming mods Hegemonia City States and His Est Lacedaemon also feature this. I think it's good to stick with this large map so your mod differs from the rest. But perhaps cut off the northern part and maybe less lands at the east (like the border should be around east Turkey)?
    that’s a good point, you are right, we should keep the big map and the idea of the empires that could have happened. We need the map to go far eastwards as Persia was truly massive.

for more units in DMB, use AlexTW.exe
    We did consider this, but not many people have it. What I could do is make some of the hoplites recruitable to more factions. For example the Athenians have many unique units [which I kinda like], I could use the same models for other greeks. I could also loose a few Persian units as they have quite a lot, and make the celtic factions into one which would give us more factions and loads more units slots. The only problem is that the celts would act like an empire in game, however this is the period where they were at their hieght and actually attacked Greece in large numbers eventually making colonies as far as turkey [Galatians]. This would give us a game where we have two large factions [Persia and the celts] that have large numbers but relatively weak solders.

Yea, I hate coding lols, but it should be done. I didn’t realise people like the ctretans so much.

that’s a good point, you are right, we should keep the big map and the idea of the empires that could have happened. We need the map to go far eastwards as Persia was truly massive.
    Perhaps more rebel regions? And then fullstacked cities so certain factions wont spread out too fast?
    Persia is really huge at start, not sure if you should expand more to the east. Here's why: I'm crushing Persians about the beginning of my campaign and most of the Persian regions I took is from modern turkey. I really thought I had them down on their knees because I took half of their regions (thats what I believed, and no, i didnt toggle_fow cuz I want to play the fair way). But according to their statistics, they really dont suffer at all. In contrary, their population is still growing even tho I exterminate every town I come across.
    Their military is still high-ranking and so is many other things. They're weak...but with many numbers....its psychological very exhausting for me

Suggestion
    I'd say, cut off the nothern part of map and perhaps remove the Britons and maybe some other barbaric faction which are not really important. Perhaps use the slots for some other more interesting factions.

We did consider this, but not many people have it. What I could do is make some of the hoplites recruitable to more factions. For example the Athenians have many unique units [which I kinda like], I could use the same models for other greeks. I could also loose a few Persian units as they have quite a lot, and make the celtic factions into one which would give us more factions and loads more units slots. The only problem is that the celts would act like an empire in game, however this is the period where they were at their hieght and actually attacked Greece in large numbers eventually making colonies as far as turkey [Galatians]. This would give us a game where we have two large factions [Persia and the celts] that have large numbers but relatively weak solders.
    Yes, make some hoplites AOR for other Greek factions. That's good! The idea behind it could be that if you play a Greek faction like Crete or Thessaly and you conquer all of Greece.....you have reunited it all and can now recruit all the specific hoplites in certain regions to your army.

Yea, I hate coding lols, but it should be done. I didn’t realise people like the ctretans so much.

They are awesome! Certainly not the strongest Greek faction out there, but a very unique starting place which gives you nice options right from the start. A good faction to start out with this mod if you play it for the first time aswell.

Other suggestions
    1) Perhaps create more public order buildings? My capital is on the Cretan island (quite central on the map for now). But my regions in Persia (city of Side) from Turkey to Jerusalem is giving me a sh!tload of public order problems. And yes, I have exterminated all the people in it. But the distance to capital is really too big (50%).
    And the towns of Side in Turkey arent really far away from my capital. Imagine how worse my cities would revolt in regions of Europe

• Able to construct more public order buildings: Arena's, Colliseums, Theatre, statues?
    • Reduce the 'distance from capital' limit so you can expand at far lying regions aswell.
    Last edited by rogergargantua; December 28, 2009 at 09:26 AM.

Citizen

Suggestion
    I'd say, cut off the nothern part of map and perhaps remove the Britons and maybe some other barbaric faction which are not really important. Perhaps use the slots for some other more interesting factions.
    Just to let you know, Quetz loves his Brits He isn't going to take this suggestion easily

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast