Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Company Man's Guide to ETW Foot - Now with Videos!

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

Default Re: Company Man's Guide to ETW Foot - Now with Videos!

thanks for this, I just got the demo and am having a hard time winning the land battle. and I can pretty reliably win battles where I am outnumbered two or three to one in M2tw and RTW. but for some reason this warfare baffles. must be the fact that I am used to knights and Ghulimns....great post! +rep!
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Mooncabbage's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Company Man's Guide to ETW Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Souvorov View Post
    Thanks Mooncabbage,

but I'm still not sure what you mean. Do they really move that much faster? I guess charging like that would be better.

But also would it not be better to have a third unit firing?
    They generally move at the same speed, but your formations get messed with less. Columns also allow you to take better advantage of small dips in the terrain, which sometimes appear like craters, and will make all the difference against enemy artillery, once you work out how to use it.

I personally use two types of column.

I use a marching column, as used by coman, which has all the units at maximum depth, to maneuver my units to roughly where i want them to be. It can be vulnerable to artillery but it allows maximum deployment speed and flexibility against cavalry and infantry attacks. It's vulnerability to artillery can be somewhat mitigated by the use of the "Grand Battery" group formation rather than the standard line. This is also useful if you have a unit or two of 12lbers attached to your battallion, as they will march at the front of your unit, allowing for faster deployment (since they can't run).

When I am closer to the enemy, and have begun to approach to attack, I use an "attack column". This actually makes use of the standard column group formation. My first two lines are deployed 2-3 men deep, depending on the terrain, and the enemy etc. These can be used to deploy into a straight line, for maximum frontage, or leapfrogged, for maximum density of fire over a small frontage. The 3rd unit in the "battalion" I deploy double thickness, 5-6 men deep, which makes it more vulnerable to artillery fire, but can maneuver behind the lines of the other two companies, without the flanks clipping the enemy and engaging the company in a melee you didn't want it to be in. This company acts as the reserve. Unfortunately in "Column" group formation the artillery is grouped to one side or the other, which is awkward, but generally if i'm using an attack column it's too close to really use my artillery anyway, and I'll generally maneuver them independently from then on, making use of the terrain.

As an interesting asside, I have found that a large (I forget the word coman used, batallion?) group of 1 unit of lancers and 2 of heavy cav/cuirassiers, dragoons if you have to, formed up in a wide column, with the lancers at the front, and each unit 2 deep, is great for smashing infantry formations. This may just be the Grognard mod though, it makes Cavalry quite a bit trickier to use.
    Not actually on the moon.

Empire: Tactical Warfare Mod v1.0

Foederatus

Default Re: Company Man's Guide to ETW Foot

Thanks mooncabbage!

TBF I like the way the third unit is flexible and ready for whatever is coming.

Also like your point about massive cavalry charge with three units making contact at once. - it helps when AI has armies composed of purely shooting troops, then a cavalry charge can sweep th efield clean of them lol

But I would still like to know why Coman thinks it is a winning strategy - if the enemy counters this by concentrating more men on the flank, or not engaging the centre until there's some kind of advantage, etc. - basically this is not enough to win on its own is it? maybe I'm missing something though...

This guide and all my comments on it will not on their own give you victory. You need commonsense and tactical knowhow for that. They are merely tools in your arsenal designed to help your a) organise your army in a more deliberate and responsive way, and b) make the best use of available troops. There are a few reasons to use that cavalry formation. Obviously, any time you stack 3 units against one you are going to win. In this case it is more about breaking through with your cavalry as intact as possible. That formation will anihilate any Infantry unit it charges in under 12 seconds. Then you can continue to charge through and if your opponent is not wise and does not have a second line or reserves, you will have a powerful cavalry formation behind his lines, able to strike engaged units in the rear. Alternatively, if your opponents units are already worn down from fire, you can peel your heavy cavalry off left and right in denser formations after the first unit is destroyed, attacking units on either side and widening the gap, while still having the lancers, which generally act as light cavalry, available for either charging engaged units in the rear and retreating again, or destroying artillery or the enemy general.

These guides are all about trying to help you THINK like a general, to use your own brain.

For example, the above cavalry formation will not work effectively against infantry units that are very thick, as although the first few ranks may be killed in the charge, once the impetus of the charge is lost, the cavalry quickly loses the upper hand, particularly if your opponent notices and turns off guard mode. The weight of numbers of the infantry per area will destroy your cavalry. Of course, by deploying in a denser formation, they lose firepower and are more vulnerable to artillery. It's all a balancing act, trying to maximise your advantages against the enemy, exploit their weaknesses, whilst minimising your disadvantages and negating their strengths.

Excellent guide, Coman, I'm looking forward to the other parts.

Sorry for being absent folks, just not following any forums or ETW thing until I see "the patch".

MoonCabbage has been filling in just fine as far as I'm concerned.

I only picked up a couple questions over the past week:

1. Square formation

Yes, they are reserved generally in equal rank and file for 2 reasons; 1. rapid pivot of the formation and 2. penetration into and through an enemy line.

Since human and AI players will spread their infantry out to counter your other companies in the battalion, the third reserve is probably going to be used to break into and through and enemy with charge or pivot and form on their flank. Once a unit is deployed in firing ranks, they can certainly be moved. However, as you'll see in this series and other videos... I will put the first company or two into contact, break the enemy with the third. Then the third company becomes the rank member and as the fight continues the smaller units with more casualties will be kept in reserve.

2. Winning Strategy

Once again as MoonCabbage stated, this is a tool in your tool belt, not your finished house.

If the enemy is conservative and playing in a similar way, (which is how I and my friends play) it becomes a game of "who can tightly out maneuver the enemy faster". Formations move, flank, the enemy adjusts and falls back. Comes down to timing of volleys, whether horse are able to get in and break the formation, etc.

A lot of people don't play the way I do, because they don't really care about casualties after the battle. I do. I try and conserve my forces in battle and I'll take my sweet time, thank you very much, to keep a few extra squads of men alive. I never send one to do work that three can do, etc.

I will do more guides, as soon as tCA does more fixes! More than half the videos are complete for the entire series and that's the hard work.

coman

HarryPalms's Avatar Libertus

interesting, thank you. I'll try these things out.

Like coman says, even without the singleplayer game, I like to try to win with as few casualties as possible, with a high K/D ratio if possible. It's a margin of victory situation... Sure you won, but at what cost? It's a shame you can't play on with the same armies so casualties make a difference... Tournament styles

Below the cut are some pictures of some standard formations I use, and a brief description.

Infantry March Column
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This one is useful for it's ability to maneuver happily around most terrain. It's not actually that vulnerable to artillery, unless it's standing still and facing directly at the enemy artillery, otherwise the gaps between the companies tend to make it more difficult. Seen here with attached 12lber Foot Artillery, at the front to allow it to quickly deploy effectively if the enemy get too close.

This formation is formed by using the Triple Line Grand Battery <Alt + 8> group formation, numbered left to right, the artillery will always be at the front.

Infantry Attack Column

This one also appears more vulnerable to enemy artillery, however, it's quite a small formation, and capable of taking cover behind a rise or in a gully. It's not especially good at turning so it's best used to advance more or less directly at the enemy. The first two companies need not be exactly 3 ranks deep, it will depend on the terrain. You can deploy them in a single wide line with the 3rd company in reserve, or leapfrog them either on the spot or in advance. In this case you can see the attached 12lbers deployed off to one side. Generally I will set them up somewhere with a good line of sight behind the line rather than drag them all the way up to the front line, where they will often be killed or charged before they can cause much damage. They can be an effective fallback point.

This formation is formed by using the Column Infantry Vanguard <Alt + 1> group formation, numbered from front to rear, with the artillery always forming on the left flank if you leave them attached.

Cavalry Attack Formation

This formation is pretty much guarenteed to cream anything you throw it at. As you can see the first 2 ranks are a company of Uhlans, in this case backed up by two companies of Cuirassiers. This formation puts a lot of pressure on a small area very quickly, and is designed for frontal charges. This isn't to say frontal charges are the best option, however when you have no choice, this formation should punch a hole you can exploit. Unfortunately it does not always respond well to rushed charges across terrain as sometimes the pathfinding AI screws up, resulting in a loss of cohesion. It is however the best mixed cavalry formation I have come up with to date.

This formation is formed by using the Column Infantry Vanguard <Alt + 1> group formation, numbered front to rear, each company approximately 2 ranks deep, with the same frontage across the unit as far as possible.

Infantry Vee Formation

This formation is an effective way to defend your artillery and can be deployed very quickly from an Infantry March Column. The two lead companies have vulnerable flanks, mitigated somewhat by the reserve company however you should always endeavour to anchor your flank against something, and work in concert with other units. The V formation tends to funnel units in, meaning they will always be exposed on atleast 2 flanks. Cavalry attempting to charge your cannon will generally be destroyed or routed before they even get close, especially if you take the time to hold fire and reload the companies forming the Vee.

This formation must be formed manually, but is relatively simple. You should pick it up after a few tries. The key is to have the firing arc just infront of the artillery, any steeper a Vee and you are wasting firing arc and exposing your flanks more than is nescessary, too much less and your Vee may be ineffective at concentrating fire and may even leave your artillery explosed.

I hope you find this helpful, I will probably add more formations to this post as I discover or invent them. If you're going to rep me, bloody well rep coman first, without him I'd still be using the same long line most of you were.

Hey Coman, the patch is out, do we get more guide yet?

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Yeah, waiting expectantly whilst I reinstall. (Damn patch and Mods didn't know what to do with each other, so I'm pretty peed)

I haven't even bothered to look since the 22nd of April.

I just read the patch notes and I'll have some time later in the week to start another campaign. Perhaps now I can finally cover the Army & Corps aspects.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it

Ike's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by abuassad View Post
    slightly off topic - i was watching ur musket drill viedo - couldn't help noticing that the animation shows the soldiers priming their powder holes before putting powder n bullet n then ramming them home, and then taking a shot. is this correct? wouldn't the powder at the firing mechanism fall off? or am i missing sumthing? thanx.

anyway, as others, waiting 4 ur other guides.
    Didn't see anyone else answer, so here goes, as best I recall sitting here. The powder was in paper cartridges - in some armies the ball was included; this is still 18th century early - bite the end off, pivot the frizzen pan up and charge the powder hole; close the pan over the top of the primer powder - that's why it didn't fall out - pour the rest of the powder down the barrel, put the cartridge paper onto the muzzle and push it down just a bit with your thumb, put the ball into that "pocket" in the paper and shove it again with your thumb, then use the rammer to force the ball and wadding (paper cartridge) down onto the powder charge; several times, then restore the rammer to the under-barrel location and cock the hammer. Come to either "port arm" or "present", depending upon your army's method. When the hammer is pulled back to full cock and the trigger pulled, the "spur" that faces forward on the hammer will push the pan open, the flint hits the rough metal striker and the sparks shower into the pan; 80% of the time in dry weather, it fires after a noticable pause for the burning powder to get to the charge rammed into the barrel. Viola! Musket fires! Probably 10% misfire and the other 10% hang fire. Don't look into the muzzle if it don't fire; hold your aim until your arm falls off or the piece fires. In the rain ... not so good.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Coman, I like your guide so far, the videos demonstrate the ideas quite clearly. I confess that I was a bit confused by the cavalry unit names, as I had thought it was "troop" (or company), then squadron, then regiment. But, that's okay. Also, some nations armies were already detaching the grenadier companies and converging them into provisional "grenadier battalions" of four companies each, well before the British experience in North America; Russia, Austria, and some of the German states for instance. Don't think Prussia was doing that early; maybe Seven Years War, but not War of Spanish Succession. I'll have to try your methods in my SP Campaign with the Imperial Splendour mod as Russia. Thanks and I really am looking forward to the rest of the guide. Would give ya +rep if I were qualified to do so, but since I ain't, here's a attaboy!
    Last edited by Ike; May 17, 2009 at 08:17 PM.

Ike's Avatar Laetus

coman: I hope you don't mind, but I've posted about your Guide on my TW:E blog with a link to your thread here. You've got the genuine article going and I'd like to see more folks adopt it. It would make, I think, the quality of opposition better and I can use good opposition so I can learn something. Like chess, you get better by playing opponents better than you are, eh?

It's always nice to be complimented.

Really the unit names don't matter, it's just for usage in the guide. Call them what you want. Full grenadier companies aren't around until VERY late in the game so I wouldn't use them. They are so superior in unit power over line infantry that it would imbalance the game.

I look at infantry as infantry containing "grenadiers". The grenadier unit is just a shock troop. It's hard to get absolute when you're dealing with an abstract video game unit and becomes very masturbatory to follow through all the way. (Sorry train collectors).

I'm still not playing the game.

bite the end off, pivot the frizzen pan up and charge the powder hole; close the pan over the top of the primer powder - that's why it didn't fall out
    ah, thanx, Ike. forgot about the pan (in my mind, there was open-ended powder holder)

Ike's Avatar Laetus

No problem, friend! I just happened to have an old drill manual handy and tried really hard to remember what I used to do. heh. Seriously, glad I could help.

I will not be continuing any further work with Empire Total War. I'm going to uninstall it, forget about it, and check it out again in 12-18 months when it may have a chance of being finished.

Sorry for the empty promises, but I've seen so many bugs in just a couple of days of play that I simply can't even begin to enjoy myself.

My current favorite is when my artillery units get stuck on something invisible and march forward towards the enemy lines; which then begin firing and stay firing regardless of what "non-phantom" units actually do.

This release has been a painful joke and serves as a total loss of respect for tCA. I looked forward to this title like most of you for a very long time and the gap between delivery and even most expectation is simply too great to forgive.

Be well, someone else feel free to complete the concepts herein.

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Awww....

Oh well, something to look forward to in 2010, I guess
    Last edited by ♔GrinningManiac♔; July 01, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast