Thread: Changing generals' Portraits by culture

Default Changing generals' Portraits by culture

In the vanilla game, it seems that generals get random portrait pics based on where they're from. But going through the portrait icons, I noticed that Northern European and Greek cultures don't have their own selections, but just use either South European or East European.
    Is it possible to change which selection of portraits a faction's generals use, and if I can add portraits to those culture sets that have none?

I'm doing some portrait editing for a mod and I'm trying to give the European generals more distinction from each other, and more variety.

Thank you for your time

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: Changing generals' Portraits by culture

Quote Originally Posted by Willdabeast View Post
    In the vanilla game, it seems that generals get random portrait pics based on where they're from. But going through the portrait icons, I noticed that Northern European and Greek cultures don't have their own selections, but just use either South European or East European.
    Is it possible to change which selection of portraits a faction's generals use, and if I can add portraits to those culture sets that have none?

I'm doing some portrait editing for a mod and I'm trying to give the European generals more distinction from each other, and more variety.

Thank you for your time
    Yes, just place the new portraits in the, let's say for example, data/ui/greek folder. And in the descr_cultures.txt file you should see this:

Code:
    culture                greek
    portrait_mapping    southern_european
    Change it to this:

Code:
    culture                greek
    portrait_mapping    greek

Awesome!
    Thanks, Socal Infidel!
    (and fast, too)
    Last edited by Willdabeast; March 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM.

TSD's Avatar Ordinarius

How did this work out? Oddly, It seems to constantly default to southern_european (at least for the generals) for my Roman mod. The family portraits seem to be acting correctly and get taken from the greek folder (yes the dir structure for portraits is modelled directly after the southern european one.) all my portraits work fine if I stick them in the southern european folder. basically it seems no matter what I do, i cant get it to map to greek for the generals.