Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What Faction Do You Consider the Best?

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: What Faction Do You Consider the Best?

The Song military strength was not necessarily weak, but mismanaged. Consider that they have the largest population of any nation, sedentary or nomadic, perhaps many times over. Consider also that the scientific advancement in the time of Song China enabled them to utilize the world's first gunpowder weapons, their agricultural production surpassed that of the European contemporary continent giving them plentiful supply, the Song economy produced so much each year that the 300,000 units of value paid to the Jin as tribute was intended to be 3 million but that the Jin were happy with the former, and the Song navy boasted the greatest ships in the East or West for another 300 years.

They weren't weak, but what they did have is a poor military system. Song soldiers could serve until long after they were able bodied enough to perform in that capacity and often did because they had no recourse to leave. The Song military institution as a whole was looked down upon by the scholar-official literati, and many of them were often put in military posts they were ill-suited to hold. The Song imperial army was focused primarily around the capital in order to prevent a challenge of imperial power in the provinces, and as such curtailed their ability to respond to border incursions. The "War Party" as it was called was constantly sabotaged and undermined by the officials at court and the ineptitude of the Emperors, as seen most prominently with the tragedy of Yue Fei.

It's easy to find fault with the Song as Chinese historiographers have done for a long while, due to their failures against the Khitans, Jurchens, and Mongols. However this failure falls primarily to the inability of its leaders, more than the inability of its soldiers, which is a result of the strong cultural focus of the Neo-Confucian scholar-elite era. At the command of a gifted strategist and logistical wizard, and with the backing of their country, the Song no doubt could have amounted to a reputable military force.

dai viet

Dai Viet is the best because they stop the invasion of the mongols into thier territory successfully 3 times

and this topic isn't where to spam.

Going to have to go with the Song.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

I say Jin, they had a good military and effectively used it.

The Song empire most likely.....
    They had nearly 70% of the world's total GDP and they had a relatively large population.
    The problem was their literacy rate which was pretty high, and had to go through many reforms.
    I will make the Song empire great =D.

As i said, i'm looking for a balance mod, but if you as which faction do you like? Then my answer is Mongol. I always like cavalry, like Rohan in Lord of the Rings

Rohan has good cavalry, like melee cavalry while the Mongols had mobile cavalry that shot missiles.

The Pagan Kingdom. Hopefully they have the soldiers with the 2 swords.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEclipse View Post
    The Pagan Kingdom. Hopefully they have the soldiers with the 2 swords.
    They could have like... Terrorists.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

The Song of course.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

I think the Song might be very overpowered if portrayed correctly.... They had enormous potential, but their management wasn't that good. In the hands of a player, they can be unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
    I think the Song might be very overpowered if portrayed correctly.... They had enormous potential, but their management wasn't that good. In the hands of a player, they can be unstoppable.
    I'm sure the AUH team will balance the mod, they know what they're doing. (Hopefully I won't be eating these words in a few months time....)
    Civitate

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    I'm sure the AUH team will balance the mod, they know what they're doing. (Hopefully I won't be eating these words in a few months time....)
    No one ever said I could balance the mod!

I will say that steps will be taken to present challenges to the Song player, which should help to represent the historical failure of the military institution. And it was a failure, it had potential yes and Song imperial troops are anything but sissy men; however, the politics and the institutions failed to utilize that. That's about all I can say for now, but there's some interesting concepts being worked on. Making a 32-province nation with a solid culture, economy, and military a challenge will be no easy task, so a little slack would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    No one ever said I could balance the mod!

I will say that steps will be taken to present challenges to the Song player, which should help to represent the historical failure of the military institution. And it was a failure, it had potential yes and Song imperial troops are anything but sissy men; however, the politics and the institutions failed to utilize that. That's about all I can say for now, but there's some interesting concepts being worked on. Making a 32-province nation with a solid culture, economy, and military a challenge will be no easy task, so a little slack would be nice!
    Don't worry, I got a whole cord of slack right here! +REP for the informative reply.
    Civitate

Hahhaha, Song could be like the Holy Roman Empire, with lots of Rebels and traitors lol.

This mod will be awesome, I am sure of it. I truly love Asia, no matter the time-frame, those culture, those secret, there advanced political thinking and there great mastermind scheme. Well for the main subject of the thread: In order, the faction I wanna play!

~ Tibetan Kingdoms
    ~ Minamoto Clan
    ~ Jin Dynasty
    ~ Taira Clan
    ~ Song Dynasty

Keep up the good work, the preview is amazing!
    “Be aware that if you play this mod, you’ll be addict. Try it at your own risk!”

I really think Korea is the best faction. No have any faction can fight against Mongol 7 times like them.

The Doge of Venice's Avatar Senator

I would need to see a whole ton of complete previews to know, and I`ll probably play tons and tons of custom battles before i try any campaigns.