Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod Manager 1.5 (fixed download link)

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Mod Manager 1.5 (w/ conflict detection)

I'll try this now,

However, as I'm not sure, if I make a backup of the userscript before deleting it, and modmanager still dosent work, and then the game dosen't work (just speculating), will putting the userscript back revert to what I have now i.e. a working game with broken modmanager?

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

what exactly do i download?
    do i need to use this to get more than one mod working at one time?
    HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAussieDigger View Post
    what exactly do i download?
    do i need to use this to get more than one mod working at one time?
    HELP!
    Download the zip file containing all the files from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=314659 (thats the link in the opening post btw)

Create a folder somewhere on your PC (I made mine in my Empire Total War folder) called Mod Manager or something equally sensible, and extract all of the content from the .zip file into the folder.

If you want a shortcut on the desktop create one by right clicking on the Application file in the extracted folder contents and choosing 'Send To Desktop as Shortcut.' I then changed the icon on the shortcut to something more ETW related, but thats just to make it look pretty.

What Mod Manager does is allow you to choose which Mods you want to use in your current session of ETW. So, I normally launch ETW using ModManager now and have a list of pre-set templates with selections of various Mods I like using.

You can load as many Mods as you like for the same session, but you need to understand that every Mod replaces an existing file in the vanilla game set-up. So, if you load two or more Mod's that replace the same file, only the last one you load will actually work during gameplay. This is why when you configure ModManager you need to be careful about the order of the Mods in the Load list.

If you really really want to make sure that a specific mod is being used make sure not only that it is ticked to be loaded but also that it is as near the bottom of the load list as possible so that it is one of the last mods to load. That way it will be sure to be the last mod to overwrite any files.

Mod Manager reports all these file overwrites as 'Conflicts' so you can see which files the Mod replaces and also which other Mods are competing for the same files.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Didz; June 12, 2009 at 07:40 AM.

nice...

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

apparently i havent got the net framework.
    has anyone got a link for that or something?

thnx for the help btw didz!

It says you need Net Framework 2.0, so it should be the one downloadable from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Indefinitely Banned
    Somewhere up North. Population of bordem.

I keep getting an error saying that it's unable to locate the Empire Extension and for me to locate it manually. I have the latest version of Empire as well as the Net framework 2.0. Can someone at least help me with this as I asked this before and there was no response.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVarvatos View Post
    I keep getting an error saying that it's unable to locate the Empire Extension and for me to locate it manually.
    Sorry, I have no idea why its doing that, my copy just installed and worked. Have you installed Empire Totalwar in a non-standard location?

Indefinitely Banned
    Somewhere up North. Population of bordem.

The directory is at my C Drive if that's what you mean. I don't understand why it couldn't locate the stupid Empire extension. I mean, it's ******** there for christ sakes and this program can't even locate it without giving me a stupid error message saying, "Unable to locate it, locate it manually, blah, blah, blah.". Is Chambers even updating this or responding to questions of this sort? God.

You could try sending him a personal message.

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

thanks!

im having the same problem as someone said above, here are screenshots:

Last edited by Icewolf; June 17, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

So, presumably when you tell it where the Empire.exe file is it fails anyway?

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

i dont know, for some reason i need to right click on my START button on vista then i can locate my AppData folder, i cant do it any other way, they dont show up when i manually go to C:/program files/user, etc, etc etc, its invisible otherwise i would manually do it... there shouldnt even be any problems finding it in the first place :S

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

ok i unlocked my Appdata, etc folders and all that

i didnt quite know what it meant when it was asking for empire.exe so i decided to just put it in the steam/steamapps/common/empire total war folder

but now it comes up with all these conflicts irrelevant to the ones my mods would make:

this wouldnt be a problem if: 1) i knew what it meant when it asked for empire.exe and where it is 2) an ability to redirect the program, ive uninstalled it twice and both times it automatically directs to the same folder now, which is what i dont want (i think)

uugghhh, the people at CA couldnt make this any easier amirite?? im getting so sick of this, but i will press on!!

Ah! Now I do recognise that problem, because I have exactly the same thing with mine.

Firstly, unclick the two tick boxes on the right.

e.g. 'Show all pack types' and 'Show Vanilla Conflicts'

This will do at least one thing, and possibly two. My copy of ModManager seems to change its mind from time to time over whether it does both or only one.

The minimum it should do is give you a list of pack files with tick boxes next to them, but if you are really lucky (and mine occassionaly does this, but not often) it will leave you just your list of mods with tick boxes next to them.

Secondly, select the Mods you wish to use.

Regardless, of whether you get a list that contains just your Mods or a list containing all the pack files in the folder, go down the list and select the MoD files you want to use during your next game session. These are usually easy to spot by their names e.g. fifesndrums, trom_core_part1, BSM_3_1_FULL_all_cannon_MM etc.

Next, move the selected MoD's to the bottom of the list.

Although nobody answered my question about this when I asked for confirmation, I am pretty sure that MoDManager loads the pack files in the order they appear in the list, starting at the top.

We want to make sure that the MoDs we want to play with are the last MoDs to be loaded, so I always move these to the very bottom of the list. You do this by highlighting the file name in the list and using the up and down arrow buttons to the left of the Launch button.

Once you are happy with the set-up you can give your profile a name by entering it into the profile box and save it by pressing Save. This way you can set up a range of different MoD selections for different types of game e.g. American Campaign MODs, British Campaign Mods, French Campaign Mods etc. It just makes it easier to switch from one set to another.

Finally, Press the Launch button.

And keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully, it will work at last.

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

>,< my list has none of my mods, even though they are all properly in my Empire/data folder

as you can see in the URL bar in my "data" folder, i have the .packs in the folder, when i downloaded them i extracted them and put them into the data folder... and on the mod manager list, none of my mods are on there

once again, whether this is the cause of my problems or not, when my mod manager asked for Empire.exe, i put it in my C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/empire total warfolder... is this what is causing them not to show??

ill be so happy when this is all over and i can stop clogging up boards with QQing lol >,<

I think I may see the problem, though you aren't going to like the answer.

I'm not a modder myself, (I did fancy having a go a correcting some of the uniform inaccuracies but when I tried to work out how to do it I kept hitting problems and none of the guides were clear enough for me to follow so I gave up.) but as I understand it when modders have finished changing something they can save their work in two different types of Pack File.

Patch Files: Are treated by the game in the same way as a patch. They game always loads them if they are present and you don't need a script file to tell the game to do it.

Mod Files: Are pack files that get ignored by the game when it is loaded, UNLESS, there is a script file specifically telling the game to load them.

Now, typically I've noticed that Modders producing re-textured uniform files save them as Patch Files. Certainly all the uniform re-textures I've downloaded simply get copied into the Empire data folder and work immdeiately without me needing to use ModManager to load them, or being able to use ModManager to stop them loading. My guess is that your French, Austrian and Prussian uniform mods are also stored a Patch files and ought to be working without the need for ModManager, you might be able to confirm this by reading the installation notes if any that came with the mods or by going back and checking the source notes. (or of course by seeing if the uniforms have changed in the game.)

I notice you also have the tigher formations patch. I'm thinking of getting this as the vanilla infantry formations in ETW are currently displayed in open/extended order but I'm not sure if thats a patch mod or not I have to check, but it might be.

Note: The French Lineman mod is shown not as a mod-file but as a folder, you might want to check that as it might not work in a folder like that. I've always assumed that the pack files themselves have to be in the data folder (not within a folder within the data folder) but I may be wrong it depends how rigorous ETW is in searching for them.

The sound_music.pack file I'm not sure about. Certainly, Hollowfaith's and Caligula's music mods are supplied as Mod Packs and so appear in Mod Manager and can be turned on and off at will. Graham however, has always tended to supply his as patch files and so you cannot choose which version to use except by physically installing and deleting them.

However, I'm not even sure that Sounds_music is a mod, I think its actually the vanilla pack file provided with the game, and it appears in the list anyway. I also notice that it shows no conflicts which suggests that you don't have any other sound or music mods installed in the data folder.

I assume the Installation file is just a set of installation notes you have accidently copied into the data folder.

So, to conclude. You may find that the Uniform Mods you have installed work without Mod-Manager. With the Posisble exception of the French one that may need removing from the folder its in. The sound_music.pack is probably not a mod at all, and so if you have downloaded a music mod you might want to check where you put it, because it seems to be missing.

BTW: I've just installed Tighter Formations Mod 1v1 and its definately a Patch File Mod, so it doesn't appear in Mod Manager.
    Last edited by Didz; June 18, 2009 at 05:30 AM.

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

hmm, well this is all very confusing then :S

thank you alot for your help though

Probably, a silly question but when you play the game do you get the new uniforms?

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

no... nothing works... im thinking of just saying bugger with it and waiting until CA makes it easier to play with mods