Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod Manager 1.5 (fixed download link)

Default Re: Mod Manager 1.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by mac89 View Post
    No it doesnt, but the manager locates the folder in which the .exe is through the registry and if it cant find the registry entry it cant find the installation folder.

Youre on Vista right? This only happens when you launch with a user script? Can you show me your user script file, its either that you need to edit it manually or that the mod is corrupted/improperly put together.
    Not sure what you mean by ' launching with user script' but I only get this crash when I got the mod selected in the manager.

Mu user.empire_script only says this

mod mod_qco.pack;
    Last edited by Maizel; March 23, 2009 at 10:48 AM.

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by MrThib View Post
    The next version of the editor should perhaps try to use launching instructions (like in the shortcuts) in place off editing the text file each time since somhow the actuals # and " seem a little conflictual.
    I dont know why Lt chose to include the non used mods aswell in the txt file because they are not really worth remembering seeing as you can change the order of the mods really quickly.

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    Not sure what you mean by ' launching with user script' but I only get this crash when I got the mod selected in the manager.

Mu user.empire_script only says this

mod mod_qco.pack;
    Its the mod that is causing the crash not the Manager, the manager just fills in the user script.

If you have a lot of mods to disable/enable it won't be easy to keep reordering them.

Quote Originally Posted by mac89 View Post
    Its the mod that is causing the crash not the Manager, the manager just fills in the user script.

That's weird. I'm only trying to run this one mod, which seems to work for everyone but me.

Could redownloading the mod work?

The fact that i've got my main.pack unpacked shouldn't be a problem?

That could be a problem. Hard to say for sure without just moving that stuff away.

Skyline Pete's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Mod Manager 1.1

Question:
    Do I have to launch the game from this program, or can I use it just to set up my/make changes to my, user.empire_script.txt, and then launch the game the default way?
    I don't think anyone has answered this but I've used the mod manager to load Warenmars Spanish textures mod and had to launch ETW using the mod manger the first time only. From then on I can now use my existing standard ETW shortcut.

Miles

The changes in the text files are applied only when you click launch.
    So after this, the changes are still in the text file so consider using the mod manager again to desactivates the mods you don't want.

Miles

I've noticed a serious bug when all my mods are unchecked. That's causing direct CTD at startup.
    I've tested and deleting the content of the user.script file fix it, so I guess that some quotes aren't working well (I think that's the #).

Edit:
    I've done some testing and that seems to worked even with the # so just forget what I've said.
    Last edited by MrThib; March 24, 2009 at 09:36 AM.

Excuse my ignorance here. So far I have been using JSGME (it works nicely although it's an old tool) I thought I would try this one out, but none of my Mod Packs shows up in the list. I tried to run the MM from the Data folder as well as from the ETW main folder, no luck, I am sure i am going about this the wrong way here, so some pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers guys!.

using 1.1. i select my mods, click save, then click launch. immediate crash upon launching the game. uncheck each mod individually to see what the problem may be, crash each time. close the program and eliminate mods from the user.script file one by one, crashes each time. only works when no mods are listed in the user_script file.

what's up!?

Miles

@ CaptainCox:
    That's probably because your mods packs are in fact not set in mod type but certainly in patch format.
    The mod format can control the loading order of mods what is impossible with the patch format.

@ solecist:
    The mod manager is controling loading order, so try to desactivate the last mod you uncheck.
    Else... well, I had once the same problem (few post above) and deleting all the entries in the text file solve it -> the mod manager was working well once again.
    Last edited by MrThib; March 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Hm, ok, so what do i need to do here. Recompile the packs in Mod format using the FPM?
    I guess yes or :p.
    Ok that should not take to long.

Cheers man!.

EDIT:
    Ok I can see the mods now in the MM list, but the game crashes on start up...
    will check that text file and see if that solves it.

EDIT II: where is "user.empire_script.txt"supposed to be located...I am probably going blind or
    somet, I just can't seem to find it.
    Last edited by CaptainCox; March 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM.

A feature I would really like to see in a feature version of the Mod manager is a MAIN MOD FOLDER. It would be so much more clean and simple just to drop all your mods in that, and then the MM simply loads them from there (welp, I guess it's starting to look like JSGME then ) .

Your main mod folder is your data folder. They don't load automatically by being in there - Mod Manager controls the script file that manages whether they will load or not.

While you are here, where is the "user.empire_script.txt" and how could one modify the MM script to load the mods from a different folder?, if at all possible.
    Cheers!.

Why do you want to load them from a different folder?! I don't think you can; it's a limitation of ETW, not MM. I probably will add the capability to list other types of pack files so people can see how the load order shakes out.

Simply to have an overwiev of the mods I have installed (prior to using the MM) If you take a look at "JSGME" that's how "that" works. It creates a "MOD" folder in the "Main" directory of any game, and it simply loads the mod on the fly. It could well be that I am used to it and that's why I am bringing this up. I guess it's difficult to learn old dogs to learn new tricks...thats all .

If I have...let's say 10+ mods installed to the "Data" folder, it's just "messy" to see what I have...I am talking just looking at the files in the Data folder now not checking the mods installed in the MM. But again...It could well be that I am to used to the ol JSGME format.

Well, I can add some rudimentary file management aspects to MM if that's what you're missing. But it'll be easy to tell which pack files are mods and which aren't. Not to mention being able to get version, author, download link, etc. from the readme.xml when mod authors start providing them. Just having an arbitrary extra directory to put the mod packs in doesn't really appeal to me, it's added complexity with very little benefit.

Ok, no prob man, like I said, I guess I am used to the format of JSGME, that's all.
    The only thing I really like with JSGME is that the "orig" folder, in this case "Data" is kept "vanilla", there are no files in there when there are no mods loaded. If you load the mods from JSGME...sure they will be injected in to "data", but otherwise they are kept in a "MODS" file in the main directory of ETW. So it is easy to overview what you have as "MODS" etc. No biggy.

So what it boils down to is that I "like" to have that "Data" folder clean when no mods are loaded...if that is not possible...dosen't matter. I really LOVE! your FPM and I am sure the MM will be as good, once it's been ironed out a tad. Keep it up man!.