Thread: Unofficial game manual (TWC community made, or so I hope it will) 15% done

Default Unofficial game manual (TWC community made, or so I hope it will) 15% done

I've been thinking about it for a little while.

I'd like the TWC community to work together to make a manual for this game. a true one. Not the few sheets of paper we bought with the DVD.

So, here's the first try, and it'll be updated and edited as the information pours in, and as the patches go.

Keep in mind that most of it will be literally translated from French: Correct me if you want.

SO...

Part 1: Basics

E:TW is a strategy game where you run your Empire and it's armies. You have two kinds of gameplay: "Strategic", with the map where you control trade, towns, wars, alliances etc... and "tactic" where you control the troops you made in strategic mode to fight and (hopefully) crush your enemies.

Tool tips

Many things in game have a tool tip appearing when you keep your mouse for a few seconds over the thing you want to know.

Money

You can earn money in many ways. This will be your workhorse. Not having enough money will lead you into bankruptcy and loose. You can earn money with, in order of importance:
    -Trade
    -taxes
    -Industry
    -Natural resources
    -Trade piracy.

You loose money with:
    -Armies
    -repressions in territories with high unrest (see unrest)
    -Navies
    -Enemy trade piracy (indirectly)
    -trade ports blocking (indirectly)

Territories

As you can see in strategic mode, the map is split in territories. One of your objectives is to conquer the ones assigned to your faction. To check them, it is simple: click the button with a cup represented on it in the bottom right

There you will see the maps with, coloured in red, the territories you need to control, and a small list in the bottom right. In bright green are the territories you control and you will have to defend in order to win. In light green are the territories you control.

In the top, you can also see that there is a part concerning prestige. We'll see that later.

Capitals and towns, and resources.

Each territory has a capital, ans several towns.

Capitals can be either major or minor.

In a major capital, you can generally build:
    -a recruitment building (recruiting troops, increasing the number of troops to train each turn)
    -an administrative building (lower unrest, more money from taxes, recruiting militia)
    -an admiralty (if the territory has contact to the sea, for prestige and unlocking reseaches)
    -a workshop (right word?) for artillery
    -a pleasure building for popularity or popularity and research
    -a town protection :surrounding forts (useless and/or unpleasant for now IMO)

A minor capital has:
    -an administrative building (same as above) that can become a recruiting building in exchange for it's administrative abilities
    -a town protection.

A minor can never become a major capital.

Towns are places that can spawn when your capital's population grows. You are offered several options:
    -A religious building (AKA church, temple, mosque, etc...) to convert the territory's population and spawn religious agents(see agents)
    -A school to develop technologies (see technology part) and spawn researchers (see agents)
    -A pleasure building to make people happy and spawn rakes (see agents part)
    -An industrial place (to make money)

Ports can be developed in 3 ways:
    -Commercial port for trade (see: trade)
    -Building port (to build warships. Note that other ports can only build small class ships)
    -Fishing port (see natural resources)

Natural resources
    -Several natural resources are available in most territories. There are a few categories, but it can be said as:

-industrial: gold mines, iron mines, jewel mines... These give direct income against some unrest
    -Trade resources: tea plantation, cotton, spices, wood, fur, etc... Produce goods for trade.
    -Food: Fishing ports, agriculture. Those all have in common to give a bit of money, increase the population's growth, and reduce the possibilities of starvation. They are cheap.

Unrest

Unrest represents how you population feels. It can be positive and negative, and is split between nobility and lower classes.

A few positives:
    -A big army in town
    -Some buildings
    -members of the government's traits
    -Kind of government
    -food available
    -

Negative modifiers:
    -taxes
    -religious unrest (a part of the population doesn't have the same religion as the state)
    -rebellious (newly conquered territory)
    -members of the government
    -

A negative unrest for one of the classes can turn into strikes in game, and in worst cases rebellions, where rebel armies will spawn to try to seize your territories or cause a revolution (see revolutions)
    Your unrest can bee see in two different places :
    -when double clicking a capital, in the top of the sheet will appear exactly what causes the unrest. The same sheet will appear if, when selecting a city, you click on the bar in the middle of the UI where the capital's name is written
    -When clicking on the big button in the bottom right of the UI represented by a building with columns, near the end turn button. In the thumbnail called "politic" you will see maps of your empire. Green means that the population is happy, yellow that it's rather calm, red that they are about to rebel, and black the the region is exempted from taxes.

Taxes

Taxes is one of the main money making processes. Generally, it's best to keep them as they were in the beginning.
    You can change your taxes in the same menu as just above, in the bottom. Taxes are per theatre, that means that the same taxes are applied in all your territories in America, but other taxes can be applied in all your European territories, and the same goes for India. But you can exempt a territory from taxes by double clicking a capital and setting taxes to "none". This will make the population grow faster and some other advantages to unrest. As the noble class is also affected, your economical buildings will bring more income, but it's not going to replace what's lost in no taxes.

The bigger the territory's population, the more money you make.

Government

E:TW has 3 governments available to the player:

-Absolute monarchy: +2 happiness to the nobles, +1 happiness to the lower classes, the ability to sack the ministers you don't like at will, and the faction's leader is the boss until he dies.

-Parliamentary Monarchy: (I don't know the bonuses), can sack one minister per turn. A bad government might end up replaced. King/queen stays until he dies

-Republic: +1 Noble's happiness, +3 lower classes happiness. One minister at a time to sack, presidents way change with government. You have the lowest control.

You can change your government type through a revolution. To have a nice revolution, you must grow unrest in your nation's capital. A lower classes revolution will cause a republic, a Noble's revolution will cause one of the monarchies.

Agents

3 agents exist, with different roles. Agents spawn randomly, but the probabilities may be increased with the good buildings (see towns in the beginning)

Those agents are:
    -Rakes (or other names). These guys have 3 roles: Assassination, destruction, and infiltration. Assassination is used to get rid of other agents and of ennemy generals. Destruction is used in enemy towns to damage buildings. They then have to repair it in order for it to work properly again. Infiltration is used to get informations about enemy armies.
    -Researchers are of two types. The European style called gentlemen, and the "eastern scholars" or something like that. Both of those have the same uses: To boost the researches speed when in a school, or to steal them when in an enemy school, and to detect rakes. Gentlemen also have the ability to duel. A duel is used to kill enemy gentlemen and rakes. It might be bugged but enemy generals aren't possible to target. Maybe after a patch.
    -Religious agents: these act like mobile churches. one of their main uses is to go in enemy towns of an other religion to convert the population and cause unrest.

There also are two kinds of military agents that can be bought: admirals on ships, and generals on land. These command your troops, but you don't need one to lead an army. Their main use is as "traits carriers".

Traits are characteristics defining the individuals in the game. Some are applied to government members, and to agents. They usually come from the actions they performed. For example, a general who fought many battles will gain the trait "infantry commander" which will increase the army's speed in strategic mode, and boost the soldier's morale in battle. But a general running away in fear , or one causing many a useless death in the field will lower the general's armies morale. A rake with a few successful missions will be better and do some tasks with bonuses, etc... Some traits are random, like "fat" that slows you down.

Sometimes, on rare occasions your agents will have followers. A flag bearer, a surgeon, all giving bonuses and/or negatives. There even are some rare weapons that can be used to improve your general's chances of survival in battle, or his efficiency.

Part 2: Diplomacy and trade

Part 3: War!

Part 4: researches

Part 5:
    Last edited by Tepok; March 21, 2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: added stuff, corrected mistakes, thanks UniQ for the easterns
    In FRAY's alpha
    "When one dies, it is a tragedy. When a million die, it is a statistic."
    -The mods, try them all!-

Default Re: Unofficial game manual (TWC community made, or so I hope it will)

No one wants to take part in this glorious guide? Come on!

I also need screenshots I can't do myself. Anyone to give a hand?
    In FRAY's alpha

Wally's Avatar Semisalis

Nice Idea some one get this glorious guide going!

I believe "Eastern Schoolars" is the name of the ottomans gentlemen.

Wally's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Unofficial game manual (TWC community made, or so I hope it will) 15% done

bump

Default Re: Unofficial game manual (TWC community made, or so I hope it will) 15% done

Bump 2 and:

I need screen shots of various menus to make this thread clear.

I'd also love some people to take part in this. I can't do everything, and I probably did some mistakes.
    In FRAY's alpha

bump 3

yes I love counterstrike too