Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] How to create Mods

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

Default Re: [TUTORIAL] How to create Mods

i dont understand - make new flags,but not workin in game
    all other new files in my mod are ok
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Was there an issue with the localisation.loc?

I made a separate .pack file for this and just named it mymod_en.pack.

I changed the name of the file in the db to mymod_localisation.loc

Therein contained my units_on_screen_name changes for custom units showing up in game when looking at unit cards.

These changes are not coming through though like the physical unit changes I made using mymod.pack and the mod manager.

I don't get a crash or anything, it just doesn't show.

EDIT: Tried using a direct overlap of name rather than mymod_localisation.loc and that didn't work either. I guess I will just have to include an edited localisation.loc file in the .rar containing my changes.
    Last edited by Endomatic; March 27, 2009 at 04:23 PM.

Two questions, 1: I can import the localization.loc file into the mod pack and use it to give my new unit a screen-name, right? And 2: if I can import it, should I rename it as for the other files so as not to over-write or conflict with existing files? Example: Rename "unit_stats_land" renamed "my_unit_stats_land" would I rename "localisation.loc" to "my_localization.loc"?
    Last edited by Wolfgang von Zweibrücken; March 27, 2009 at 05:32 PM.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31

Miles

Actually we don't know how to mod correctly the loc file, it doesn't react like the db files. There is obviously a way, even to add just one row like in the db but nobody had figured this out and CA didn't comunicate on this.
    The loc file can not be included in mods because for whatever reason it won't load.
    The best way to include it now is to put it in a separate pack set in movie format that will overwrite the default at start of the game.
    We just have to hope somebody find a way to mod it soon (unprobable) unless CA comunicate on it (like they have done with the db and mod format). Since then, it will be really tiedous to have multiple mods affecting units.

Put it in a separate .pack with the name "localisation.loc" or should we mod it?

I'll test it probably before you answer

EDIT: Okay so putting it as a straight overwrite seems to work when placed as a movie-type.

Trying to use any other name except the basic localisation.loc causes the mod manager to not read the mod. It's listed under movies when I have the check mark on under show full list or whatever it's called, but it won't load as a mod.

EDIT 2: Ugh, now the mod manager won't read my original mod file either. Why doesn't the mod manager recognize "movie" type mods?
    Last edited by Endomatic; March 27, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Miles

I think it should keep the original name, not sure about this, post your results

Basically the way I need to do it is load it up in the unpacker, save it as a "mod" type. Load it up in the mod manager. Create a profile with my mod and the localisation file, save the profile, load the localisation file in the unpacker again, change it to "movie" type, save it, load the manager again, and load my profile and start the game.

Not a huge deal to me, but I use the unpacker and all that all the time. To the average person I'd share this with, it'd make it more of a hassle than it's worth.

The fact that they'd have to DL the unpacker just to get this file working kinda sucks.

If they were to load the mod manager, they wouldn't be able to load my localisation file which means none of the unit cards would have names, and none of the descriptions I plan on adding would show either, leaving everything blank best case, and a crash to desktop worst case.

I can make the manager show that the "movie" type files are there, but they aren't selectable in any way.
    Last edited by Endomatic; March 27, 2009 at 06:13 PM.

It won't let me import the tsv file I exported and edited in Excel (Where I deleted all the unit entries except those I wanted to edit). It tells me that The Input string was not in the correct format, although I saved it as unicode with the suffix .tsv.

Nm, I think I got it.

New problem: Despite saving it as a mod and the mod not causing a ctd (as well as being part of the script's setup), my unit stats changes aren't effecting the game.
    Last edited by Ahiga; March 27, 2009 at 08:27 PM.

If you want to remove rows, go to the options tab along the top and make sure that "use first row as something" is checked. Then select the first cell and hit delete.

Exporting, editing and importing a TSV with missing tables will cause the error you are experiencing.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Endomatic View Post
    Basically the way I need to do it is load it up in the unpacker, save it as a "mod" type. Load it up in the mod manager. Create a profile with my mod and the localisation file, save the profile, load the localisation file in the unpacker again, change it to "movie" type, save it, load the manager again, and load my profile and start the game.

Not a huge deal to me, but I use the unpacker and all that all the time. To the average person I'd share this with, it'd make it more of a hassle than it's worth.

The fact that they'd have to DL the unpacker just to get this file working kinda sucks.

If they were to load the mod manager, they wouldn't be able to load my localisation file which means none of the unit cards would have names, and none of the descriptions I plan on adding would show either, leaving everything blank best case, and a crash to desktop worst case.

I can make the manager show that the "movie" type files are there, but they aren't selectable in any way.
    You're making things complicated, they're not.
    If you want to share, the personn will have 2 files (my_mod.pack and my_localisation.pack) to put in their data folder.
    They then launch the mod manager (the official one will be released soon) select your mod press play and enjoy.
    Nothing difficult seriously, even for the average user.
    If what bother you is to make a second pack with just one file, this don't take any longer than to add it to your mod pack (Yes, a little more, you have to click file and new...)

But the stupid thing now is the localisation file, because let's say I'm french, I give you my new unit and for it to have an in-game name, you have to use my loc file, so all your game pass in french, great!

@Ahiga:
    For the tsv I've noticed that too, you just can add rows, deleting make it improper.
    I don't know about any solution yet.
    the editor is the only way like Endomatic say.

Edit:
    @Endomatic, NVM, I've seen your other post, I respond it there.
    Last edited by MrThib; March 27, 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks for the correction you two, this is vastly easier than doing the tsv editing. My new problem is that while I don't run into any errors in the PFM, the game doesn't recognize my mod and won't load it.

It is classified as a Mod file, and I do have it in the script folder. Just any edits I do do not show up, despite not running it with any mods that would counter my edits.

Okay...if I ever have a problem, I just need to post it. The second I do, I fix it. Nevermind.

However it's weird. I was basing this on Quixote's work. If I save my mod as a Mod file and run it (alone), it reverts back to his old stats in the game though my mod file shows the edits. If I save it in movie file, then my edits go through.
    Last edited by Ahiga; March 27, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Miles

Try editing manualy the text file, because the syntaxe of the mod manager seems broken to me.
    Delete all the entries and let just something like:
    mod My_Mod.pack;
    without " or # since this are the things that seem wrong.

Edit: I suppose you're talking of the text file in the script folder? the mod has to be in the main data folder of empire.
    Edit2: Arghh, not seen you've fixed it, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MrThib View Post
    Try editing manualy the text file, because the syntaxe of the mod manager seems broken to me.
    Delete all the entries and let just something like:
    mod My_Mod.pack;
    without " or # since this are the things that seem wrong.

Edit: I suppose you're talking of the text file in the script folder? the mod has to be in the main data folder of empire.
    Edit2: Arghh, not seen you've fixed it, sorry.
    I've got a new problem, which isn't as far as I can tell an issue right now but because I want to release this mini mod it may become one.

If I run my mod saved as a movie, everything loads and it takes priority over the original mod it was based on (Quixotes). If I run my mod saved as a mod, without any other mod running, my game reverts back to Quixote's stats without the edits I saved.

My patch file is vanilla, my main file is vanilla. I deleted rows as the two posters told me to, and my presumption is that the file still is able to perhaps reference the old rows I deleted. Yet if I run the mod saved as a mod...it reverts back to Quixote's stats even if I am not running his mod, but doesn't acknolwedge the edits I made.

Miles

The answer is in the user.script text file: go look there you'll see it's a mess.
    Delete all unwanted entries and let just one for your mod like this :
    mod Ahiga_Mod.pack;
    save in unicode format.
    Oh, and check tha Quixote is not set in movie, that could be a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Endomatic View Post
    If you want to remove rows, go to the options tab along the top and make sure that "use first row as something" is checked. Then select the first cell and hit delete.

Exporting, editing and importing a TSV with missing tables will cause the error you are experiencing.

You are my new best friend!
    I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse. -Charles V

My Mods- PipMod, LeatherUI, Spain Retexture+flag swap
    My website

I got it solved, it turns out Quixote's stat land file was named its vanilla name, so it took priority/dominance no matter the mod order. Renaming it to have a prefix to set it apart lets my mod compete with it, and thus solve the issue. Thanks for the help MrThib and Others.

awsome thnx man

Quote Originally Posted by MrThib View Post
    Actually we don't know how to mod correctly the loc file, it doesn't react like the db files. There is obviously a way, even to add just one row like in the db but nobody had figured this out and CA didn't comunicate on this.
    The loc file can not be included in mods because for whatever reason it won't load.
    The best way to include it now is to put it in a separate pack set in movie format that will overwrite the default at start of the game.
    We just have to hope somebody find a way to mod it soon (unprobable) unless CA comunicate on it (like they have done with the db and mod format). Since then, it will be really tiedous to have multiple mods affecting units.
    Hmm, the other bad thing I have noticed (maybe only a problem on my end?) is that when you edit the localization.loc file's .tsv, then import it back in, if you added even one entry, it will automatically delete the bottom one. It will still be present in the .tsv, but every new entry you add in will cause one at the bottom of the file to be ignored when you import it back in. I don't know if this is a PFM issue or what, but it seems stupid that there would be some kind of limit to the number of localisation.loc entries.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31

Miles

I don't think it's deleted, but when editing loc files, if you use the header to class the entries, the file structure is saved that way so you don't have the same last line each time (I've asked and alpaca confirmed that that was made in purpose).
    I hope this is truely the problem.
    But I'm quite sure there's a proper way to add rows than to add the full loc more like the db since it would be stupid to have the game system really easy to mod (the db) and this killing all posibilities...

Okay, I have a question. I'm currently running a mod with a "user.empire_script.txt" in the scripts folder. It works fine, but I recently downloaded another mod and when I attempt to place the new mod's user.empire_script.txt in the scripts folder, it tries to override the other one.
    What should I do, because I can't rename it... can I?
    Last edited by falcone79; March 28, 2009 at 04:02 PM.

"Sometimes the best words are those left unsaid..."

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast