Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] How to create Mods

Decanus

Default Re: [TUTORIAL] How to use the new mod format

how to create new db files to make the game recognize them? I constantly get errors...

How did you create that ottomans_personalities and nizam_officers files and how did you add these files to pack???

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by mumakil View Post
    cause im a total idiot and i truly mean that i dont even understand how you added db there and the other info it took me 15 minutes to realize how to name the pack by the way does the name matter at all or can it be anything? plz help a total idiot lol
    You can name them as you want, just don't use the default name or you'll have some conflicts with the natives files.
    for infos on how to work with the editor go to the relative thread, they're lots of infos there.

how to create new db files to make the game recognize them? I constantly get errors...
    The editor work with your windows file system, for exemple my ottomans_personalities was situated in my db\battle_personalities_tables which was in my data folder.

How did you create that ottomans_personalities and nizam_officers files and how did you add these files to pack???
    I use an exported battle_personalities from the pach.pack, rename it (in windows) then add it to my mod and start working it, like creating rows and deleting others.
    If you can't open thoses files in your editor, it's probably you don't have the 1.99 version, the oldest version was detecting files format by files, the new one by folders.
    Last edited by MrThib; March 20, 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Decanus

I get errors using the add directory and add file functions... the db files added in this way just won't open in the manager. Only basic packer works but that's teddious. Do anyone know how to fix it?

Miles

Have you try to re-download the PFM, the 1.99 was released today (not the same that the 1.9), and you don't have to add directory in the editor, that should be done automaticaly when adding file.
    PS: I'm quite sure you don't use the last version... or else you've got some serious bug.

Icon5 Re: [TUTORIAL] How to create Mods

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well it doesn't work for me, I went over quite a few times. All that I have in there was working before I changed to this format now it doesn't show. Help appreciated.
    "When you do something right; it will seem as though you haven't done anything at all." -Space God
    http://www.mtgfanatic.com/?ForumReferrerID=127300

Default Re: [TUTORIAL] How to create Mods

Try downloading MrThib's sample mod and see if that works. If it does, use his .txt file and just copy-paste your list there. It worked for me. For some reason, my script file was not being read, but the one created by MrThib worked.

Err, that worked. I'm looking at it all closely and it still looks the same to me. I'm very confused...
    Thanks anyway, but I would really like a reason. I think its best if there is an answer for this instead of everyone having to download MrThib's .txt file.
    Still, great tutorial MrThib!
    "When you do something right; it will seem as though you haven't done anything at all." -Space God

Miles

@Being Earnest
    That's strange.
    @Zorgrath
    Ok, I assume that the files you put in your folders (not seen in screenshots) only contains the rows that you want to modify?
    If yes, have you change the name of this files or are you using the vanilla ones? If using the default names, your files just overwrite the ones from patch.pack and not just the rows you've modded so the game may concider your mod as corrupted and refuse to launch it.
    Again:
    from Jerome
    Ok. If you were to make a mod which supplies a new file called "db/unit_stats_land_table/unit_stats_land" it would override the one from the CA packs. Yours would be used, the CA one would not. That's file-level overriding, and it's not something that you normally would want to do to the database files (although I imagine it'll be pretty common with data files like tga's and so on).
    Edit: You went faster than me on this one... nice it works.
    concerning the txt file I really don't have a clue at all... that seems very strange to me...

Does mine look correct to you, maybe my eyes betray me.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgrath View Post

just clic the little + there and I'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgrath View Post
    Err, that worked. I'm looking at it all closely and it still looks the same to me. I'm very confused...
    Thanks anyway, but I would really like a reason. I think its best if there is an answer for this instead of everyone having to download MrThib's .txt file.
    Still, great tutorial MrThib!
    The same thing happenned with mine

Hmmm, I'm still missing something... and bribery! :Audible gasp: Shame on you.

Miles

I really don't get it, what program are you using, notepad? Because if I remember well I've just created a word new doc by right clicking (the new txt wasn't on the list and I was to lazy to search) and renamed it in .txt then open it with the good old default notepad. But even then that don't make any senses to me.
    edit: anyway, the mod manager is near so the boring text file editing won't be long.

I used exactly the same method. When I found your text file worked I just cut n pasted my old text in to yours and it works.

Okay I found the .txt document when I went and right click create new .txt... Odd.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Not even using MrThib's text file worked for me.

I have to set my pack types to movie in order for them to load at all. As soon as I set them to mod type, even though my user.empire_script.txt contains my mods they do not load.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Miles

Are you sure you don't do this?

If yes, have you change the name of this files or are you using the vanilla ones? If using the default names, your files just overwrite the ones from patch.pack and not just the rows you've modded so the game may concider your mod as corrupted and refuse to launch it.

No, mine are named after my mod, the actual table names have been changed to reflect this and only contain the few lines I have changed.

I'll keep messing with it, want to download one of my patch packs and see if it will load for you? I've got a simple one that changes the ranges for muskets.

Miles

Please do that. I'm curious about this.

Here yah go, let me know how it goes.

Should be easy to see if it worked, as the ranges for muskets should show at 100 on the unit cards in custom battle setup.

http://rapidshare.com/files/21159476...nges_thib.pack

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast