Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a 17,000 year old city...WHAT?!?

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: a 17,000 year old city...WHAT?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Norris View Post
    Paleolithic hunter and gatherer had stations that they were changing frequently. It was preferable for them to move over larger areas each season if they could. There are studies for the occupation and the usage of topography for several regions during the Paleolithic. The period when a livestyle with more permanent settlements comes up is about 9000+/- what is concerned the Near East. It should be later for the Americas. The settling goes hand in hand with the domestication of cereals, beans (emmer, wheat - mais in the Americas).
    I'm sorry, I did use settlements liberally. The 'settlement' found in Monte Verde was perhaps a hunting lodge, and the settlements I speak of in the Persian Sea and the British Channel were perhaps more like camps than actual cities or towns or villages.

There are indeed archeological sites with structures in them dating back to this 17,000 year old period. I believe humans began making simple shelters of wooden posts covered with skins and grass towards the end of the Paleolothic. The remains of these temporary camps is what I imagine we are talking about here.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

There's a bit of a difference between a few hunting camps and a permanently settled city.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    I'm sorry, I did use settlements liberally. The 'settlement' found in Monte Verde was perhaps a hunting lodge, and the settlements I speak of in the Persian Sea and the British Channel were perhaps more like camps than actual cities or towns or villages.

There are indeed archeological sites with structures in them dating back to this 17,000 year old period. I believe humans began making simple shelters of wooden posts covered with skins and grass towards the end of the Paleolothic. The remains of these temporary camps is what I imagine we are talking about here.
    Paleolithic archeologists have often to dig deep and can excavate only small surfaces often. They prefer therefore caves or similar localities where the chances are to find something at all after a while. There are some findspots close to the surface or even directly at the surface in modern deserts that allow a bit to say something about the hypothetical migration habits of paleolithic hunter-gatherer groups if one includes topographical factors and other environmental factors (animals, plants, water, vegetation etc.).
    Last edited by Molly Norris; January 19, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Norris View Post
    Very basic questions are:
    - What do the findings indicate?
    - What have been the natural conditions?
    - Where did they get their calories from?
    - What did they do in times when the supply of food was limited?
    - What can be the maximal size of a group then, when this and that factor is known?

Monte Verde indicates a potential camp besides a river. That pretty much answers the rest of the questions. In Europe I would imagine it would have been winter camps. All the articles I've read on these camps or finds were of single or double wooden post structures and camp fires. Could have been a temporary hunting camp where they tanned the hides and treated the meat and moved on. Hard to tell.

Point is, there is evidence of some sort of wooden post dwelling in the paleolithic time.

And why do we need to answer your last two questions? When supplies ran low they moved on, and the size of the group doesn't really need to be know, could have been from a small family to a larger group who decide to work together in one location for a period before moving on.

I am most certainly not saying that these had to be permanent 'settlements' only that structures were built and people stayed there for a period of some time longer than a day or so.
    Last edited by Ramashan; January 19, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

One should not underestimate the skills of paleolithic people, certainly. That they knew to work with wood and other perishable materials is documented. The range of possiblities can in some cases be close to that of people living a similar livestyle under similar conditions in historic periods where we know a little bit more about (tents, dogs as pack animals and/or preserved meat, boats, fishing nets, cloaths made by plants and animal skin, jewellery, etc. etc.).
    Last edited by Molly Norris; January 19, 2011 at 02:19 PM.

the show that the topic author is talking about is "Ancient Aliens"
    it talks about the ancient astronaut theory, it states that in the early ancient times some sort of extratorestrials(spelling?) visited earth and influenced the ancient peoples. The theory says the aliens helped build the Pyramids, this 17,000 year old city, and many other wonders and what have you. They compare ancient texts from the Bible and the Kuran and Indian religions and such and actually present a theory involving these ancient aliens with what all these texts say, and it actually makes more sense than the religions themselves.

It's way too deep to try and explain it here, you would just have to read books like "Chariots of the Gods" and such. It's a good read and also a good show.
    I wish I could still watch it but I had to cancel cable

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

From the History Channel thread.

Erich von Däniken and such is a load of insulting . I recall how he and others claimed that the heads on Easter Island must've been made by aliens, because the people were too simple-minded to build such things. In response, Thor Heyerdahl and Kon Tiki built a moai with traditional techniques.
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,

Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,

When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,

Quote Originally Posted by Trax View Post
    ORLY?
    ORLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    Are you thinking of the stones off the coast of Japan that may or may not be naturally forming. Crystal structure in rock can form quite straight cut shapes that can pass for man made. Just take a trip to Devils Tower to see this or any other similar place.

Now, there are loads of archeology under the seas. That is indeed a fact. Recently I've heard of research being done in the Persian Gulf and in the British Channel. There were most certainly settlements in these regions that flooded over after the Ice Age and also changes in coast lines due to erosion. But the level of sophisitcation is questionable.
    It's not limited to just coast of Japan though I'm not sure if we're referring to the same locations. (EDIT: Looks like we are) The structures are too complex to be nature made. They're completely geometric in shape. Simple crystal cut shapes is not what you see in Japan and some other locations. They're much more complex than that.
    The Armenian Issue

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkLordSeth View Post
    ORLY.

It's not limited to just coast of Japan though I'm not sure if we're referring to the same locations. (EDIT: Looks like we are) The structures are too complex to be nature made. They're completely geometric in shape. Simple crystal cut shapes is not what you see in Japan and some other locations. They're much more complex than that.
    And what, exactly, is "too complex to be nature made?"

If geologists say "this is entirely consistent with the way sandstone behaves, especially in tectonically active regions", then I'm inclined to believe them, and indeed, the burden of proof is not on mainstream archaeologists to prove that they are not man-made, but rather the other side. And so far, there is no compelling evidence to suggest these are man-made structures, nor is it supported by a wealth of archaeological evidence that points to the first settlements (the Natufian mesolithic culture. Semi-sedentary, maybe, but oh well) starting around 15,000 years ago in the Levant.

Furthermore, yes, sea-levels were lower at the last glacial maximum (until, I think, the start of the Holocene 10kya): if there was some magical mysterious culture that started making these massive megaliths, and they are apparently widespread, why on earth is there no evidence of them on land? As in, really, NO evidence on land. No megaliths. No artifacts that point to anything but hunting and gathering being predominating until the Neolithic.

But, of course, there are always people who insist on believing this tripe just because it goes against the grain. Or, they believe Plato was actually being serious when he was talking about Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    And what, exactly, is "too complex to be nature made?"

If geologists say "this is entirely consistent with the way sandstone behaves, especially in tectonically active regions", then I'm inclined to believe them, and indeed, the burden of proof is not on mainstream archaeologists to prove that they are not man-made, but rather the other side. And so far, there is no compelling evidence to suggest these are man-made structures, nor is it supported by a wealth of archaeological evidence that points to the first settlements (the Natufian mesolithic culture. Semi-sedentary, maybe, but oh well) starting around 15,000 years ago in the Levant.

Furthermore, yes, sea-levels were lower at the last glacial maximum (until, I think, the start of the Holocene 10kya): if there was some magical mysterious culture that started making these massive megaliths, and they are apparently widespread, why on earth is there no evidence of them on land? As in, really, NO evidence on land. No megaliths. No artifacts that point to anything but hunting and gathering being predominating until the Neolithic.

But, of course, there are always people who insist on believing this tripe just because it goes against the grain. Or, they believe Plato was actually being serious when he was talking about Atlantis.
    Stairs, geometrically cut columns or blokes with consistent angles. Check the images. I have yet to see any proof or study showing any scientific explanation of these structures or examples of other sites where they're proven that those structures are nature-made. But, if some random scientists gonna claim that those structures are nature-made and show something completely incomparable structure that is really nature-made then I'll reserve my rights to believe in that man.

And claiming that these structures are man-made doesn't automatically mean that we're talking about Atlantis.
    The Armenian Issue

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Stairs, geometrically cut columns or blokes with consistent angles. Check the images. I have yet to see any proof or study showing any scientific explanation of these structures or examples of other sites where they're proven that those structures are nature-made. But, if some random scientists gonna claim that those structures are nature-made and show something completely incomparable structure that is really nature-made then I'll reserve my rights to believe in that man.

And claiming that these structures are man-made doesn't automatically mean that we're talking about Atlantis.
    I don't think you understand that this is not accepted by anyone in the mainstream for obvious reasons. That these are man-made structures is accepted only by the fringe, because, frankly, the only evidence they are man-made is some people think they look man-made. There is zero evidence anywhere else pointing to this conclusion, and even the flimsy, sole argument that they're man-made based on limited investigation is contested by the much stronger argument of natural formation.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    Erich von Däniken and such is a load of insulting . I recall how he and others claimed that the heads on Easter Island must've been made by aliens, because the people were too simple-minded to build such things. In response, Thor Heyerdahl and Kon Tiki built a moai with traditional techniques.
    isnt that the guy that also built a longboat also and went from danmark to the american coast with it?

Indefinitely Banned
    The People's Glorious Republic of Ireland

ORLY.

Look up your geography here man... Its basic plate tectonics and when a volcanos erupt underwater the basalt forms in a pyramidal form due to the lava rapidly cooling when it comes into contact with the air. Add to this the fact Japan is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire just put two and two together. Now if your talking about Thera on Santorini thats way outside our timescale and again Geography comes into play not conspiracy theories about aliens and the Illuminati...

If your talking about Caesarea then again its basic geopgraphy, coastal erosion mixed with rising sea levels, and as such all these ridiculous threories the History Channel loves to throw in our face other than during Hitler Week can be explained away

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

The history channel does 2 main topics very badly, ww2 and the ing egyptians. Do you expect them to be accurate on this?

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Fionn son of Cumhaill View Post
    Look up your geography here man... Its basic plate tectonics and when a volcanos erupt underwater the basalt forms in a pyramidal form due to the lava rapidly cooling when it comes into contact with the air. Add to this the fact Japan is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire just put two and two together. Now if your talking about Thera on Santorini thats way outside our timescale and again Geography comes into play not conspiracy theories about aliens and the Illuminati...

If your talking about Caesarea then again its basic geopgraphy, coastal erosion mixed with rising sea levels, and as such all these ridiculous threories the History Channel loves to throw in our face other than during Hitler Week can be explained away
    When an underwater eruption occurs on a constructive plate margin, the basalt eruptions form what are known as 'Pillow lava' which is shaped like... pillows - very rounded in shape. As it happens on constructive plate margins, it does not occur in Japan nowadays (in Geological time meaning in the past few million years) This is because, as you said, it is the Ring of Fire, which is a massive subduction zone, so the plates involved do not produce basaltic lava. Pillow lavas come from basaltic eruptions - non violent. Eruptions on the pacific ring of fire? Very violent. Just look at a nearby volcano:

Pillow Lava
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlerich View Post
    isnt that the guy that also built a longboat also and went from danmark to the american coast with it?
    Yes, and a Phoenician ship from Morocco to the Caribbean and a Polynesian ship from some island to South America IIRC. He's awesome.

Zoals oude bomen zingen,

Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,

Then I'm God.

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    I don't think you understand that this is not accepted by anyone in the mainstream for obvious reasons. That these are man-made structures is accepted only by the fringe, because, frankly, the only evidence they are man-made is some people think they look man-made. There is zero evidence anywhere else pointing to this conclusion, and even the flimsy, sole argument that they're man-made based on limited investigation is contested by the much stronger argument of natural formation.
    They're indeed rarely studied but I haven't really seen much of a counter-argument from the scientists. Link. Seems like there are indeed conflicting views but even then one of them accepts partial man-madeness. The very fact that there is a huge diversity of geometric shapes instead of one or two like in other nature-made structures is proof enough for me at the moment to think that they're man-made.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionn son of Cumhaill View Post

If you actually take a look at the pictures of those structures you'd see something more of a volcanic activity and its consequences.
    The Armenian Issue

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Yes, and a Phoenician ship from Morocco to the Caribbean and a Polynesian ship from some island to South America IIRC. He's awesome.
    He crossed the Atlantic on a Egyptian papyrus ship (twice) and the Pacific on a balsa raft.

He also built a Sumerian ship and sailed from Iraq to Pakistan with it.

Indefinitely Banned

He made trips to Azerbaijan, too.

I hope Scandinavians and Azerijs here allow this little joke.

Note the text on the stone tablet.
    Last edited by godol shmok; January 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast